HomePaterno fired - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Paterno fired

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Paterno fired - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:19 pm

@JonM229 wrote:
I agree with mcg24, Paterno did what he was legally required to do, but he failed as a human being.
I get what you and mcg are saying, and in no way am I suggesting that you guys are wrong. I'm just trying to put myself in Paterno's shoes. I don't think any of us think our friends are capable of that kind of thing. If we did, we wouldn't be friends with them. So what if you worked with one of your close friends you've known for years, and a grad student, intern, whatever, came up to you and made an accusation against your close friend. What would you do? Would you just take his word and call the police without any evidence other than his accusation? Would you talk to your friend and try to find out if there was any truth to the accusation? What exactly would you do?

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:01 pm

This goes back to part of the conversation we had in the 'Gay Marriage' thread. When it was brought up about the moral decay of this country.

NOW STOP RIGHT THERE, I'm not saying that we've gotten so far off our moral compass that the actions that took place with Sandusky and the minors is not adhorably wrong...

WITH THAT BEING SAID, let me get to my point now. My point is that people think they have a certain moral code and if they meet that moral code than they are free and clear from any wrong doing. As we can see with this case, they are not. I agree with you Mcg, Joe Pa was the face of Penn State. In my opinion he became the scapegoat for the board of trustees. If they were going to relieve him of his duties, then should have relieved ever coach of their duties that was involved in any sort of cover up or failure to properly escalate to the authorities anything/everything they saw. But again, we're talking about an internal moral code, and possibly the, "It's my friend he'll heed my warning" mentality. Either way, imo, it goes back to the place where in years gone by, there was a higher moral standard across the board and now that standard has been place on individuals, therefore the individual is left to determine what is acceptable and what is not.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Paterno fired - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
mcg24

mcg24

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:49 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
This goes back to part of the conversation we had in the 'Gay Marriage' thread. When it was brought up about the moral decay of this country.

NOW STOP RIGHT THERE, I'm not saying that we've gotten so far off our moral compass that the actions that took place with Sandusky and the minors is not adhorably wrong...

WITH THAT BEING SAID, let me get to my point now. My point is that people think they have a certain moral code and if they meet that moral code than they are free and clear from any wrong doing. As we can see with this case, they are not. I agree with you Mcg, Joe Pa was the face of Penn State. In my opinion he became the scapegoat for the board of trustees. If they were going to relieve him of his duties, then should have relieved ever coach of their duties that was involved in any sort of cover up or failure to properly escalate to the authorities anything/everything they saw. But again, we're talking about an internal moral code, and possibly the, "It's my friend he'll heed my warning" mentality. Either way, imo, it goes back to the place where in years gone by, there was a higher moral standard across the board and now that standard has been place on individuals, therefore the individual is left to determine what is acceptable and what is not.

I agree, I think they should have relieved every single person who had ANY knowledge of these events occurring. Everyone. That is the only way to fix this. Well, it wouldn't fix this, but it would brighten up that black cloud hanging above Penn State just a little bit. You need to start over completely.

mcg24

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:51 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@JonM229 wrote:
I agree with mcg24, Paterno did what he was legally required to do, but he failed as a human being.
I get what you and mcg are saying, and in no way am I suggesting that you guys are wrong. I'm just trying to put myself in Paterno's shoes. I don't think any of us think our friends are capable of that kind of thing. If we did, we wouldn't be friends with them. So what if you worked with one of your close friends you've known for years, and a grad student, intern, whatever, came up to you and made an accusation against your close friend. What would you do? Would you just take his word and call the police without any evidence other than his accusation? Would you talk to your friend and try to find out if there was any truth to the accusation? What exactly would you do?

It's tough to put myself in a position of Joe Paterno's authority though. I have no responsibilities to anyone like Joe Paterno had to his players. He is almost a father like figure. I can't even begin to relate to that.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Mike McQueary In Protective Custody

Mike McQueary has reportedly informed the Penn State football players that he's currently in protective custody and "double fisting" alcohol.

According to PennLive.com, one of the PSU coaches gathered several players in a room on campus and allowed McQueary to speak to the team via speaker phone.

McQueary reportedly told the team, "I wanted to let you guys know I'm not your coach anymore. I'm done.”

McQueary also told the team he's not at the University, but in protective custody after receiving several threats ... and "double fisting" booze.

McQueary was placed on administrative leave earlier today.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/11/mike-mcqueary-protective-custody-double-fisting/
-------------------------------------

Wow!!! I can't believe PSU fans are making McQueary out to be the villain here. If they're doing it because he didn't call the police on Sandusky or try to interfere in any way, then fine. But I suspect they're doing it because Paterno got fired.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
mcg24

mcg24

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 4:29 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
Mike McQueary In Protective Custody

Mike McQueary has reportedly informed the Penn State football players that he's currently in protective custody and "double fisting" alcohol.

According to PennLive.com, one of the PSU coaches gathered several players in a room on campus and allowed McQueary to speak to the team via speaker phone.

McQueary reportedly told the team, "I wanted to let you guys know I'm not your coach anymore. I'm done.”

McQueary also told the team he's not at the University, but in protective custody after receiving several threats ... and "double fisting" booze.

McQueary was placed on administrative leave earlier today.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/11/mike-mcqueary-protective-custody-double-fisting/
-------------------------------------

Wow!!! I can't believe PSU fans are making McQueary out to be the villain here. If they're doing it because he didn't call the police on Sandusky or try to interfere in any way, then fine. But I suspect they're doing it because Paterno got fired.

The only person that should be threatened for ANY reason is Sandusky. Threatening is cowardly, pathetic, and destructive.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:40 am

Sandusky will get his karma paybacks in prison. He'll find out first-hand what those little boys felt like and will probably be beaten or shanked to death afterwards. I just hope they rape him at least 20 times before offing him. He should pay a penance for every single one of the kids he molested.

Last edited by Buddha Bus on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:08 am

Must be awkward being Baltimore sports-anchor Gerry Sandusky right now.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 1:49 pm

I know it's not the players or fans fault, but I can't help but root for the Cornhuskers right now.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:59 pm

And here's why I don't feel bad about rooting for Nebraska

At Penn State's stadium, profanity, scorn greet one father's protest

Quote :
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — In the middle of Curtin Road, John Matko held one handwritten sign in his right hand and rested another against his jeans. Two inches of black tape obscured Penn State’s logo on the 34-year-old father’s hat, as he tried to ignore the jeers, slaps and beer hurled at him.

“Put abused kids first,” one of Matko’s signs read. “Don’t be fooled, they all knew. Tom Bradley, everyone must go.”

Penn State's Beaver Stadium loomed 30 yards away, rumbling with the first roars of Saturday’s game with Nebraska. The sea of blue-clad supporters wearing gray fedoras and camouflage hunting jackets and “This is JoePa’s house” T-shirts parted around Matko.

“That is such [expletive]!” one young woman screamed at him after glancing at the signs. “Who the [expletive] do you think you are?”

Eyes hidden by blue aviator sunglasses, Matko didn’t respond.

The night before, thousands of students held candles and sang Coldplay’s “Fix You” a capella in front of Old Main to support victims of sexual abuse. They wanted to show a different side to Penn State than the 40 charges of child sexual abuse against ex-football assistant Jerry Sandusky or the riots late Wednesday after the university fired iconic coach Joe Paterno for his role in the cover-up.

Under Saturday’s cloudless sky, Curtin Street revealed something else.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:00 am

Penn State buttons pulled over possible double meanings in light of sex abuse scandal

Citizens Bank is reportedly stopping distribution of Penn State football buttons for away contests at Ohio State and Wisconsin. The slogans for the buttons were to be "Much Ado About Nuttin'" for Ohio State and "Brie 'em to Their Knees" for Wisconsin.

The buttons' slogans could be misconstrued in light of the sex abuse scandal on campus.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_buttons_pulled_over.html

Paterno fired - Page 2 10263590-large
---------------------------------------------------

Paterno fired - Page 2 1505004552

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 am

Jerry Sandusky's 'Make-Believe World'

Quote :
The college football world knew him as the "Dean of Linebacker U," the defensive coach who helped Penn State win two national championships. But Jerry Sandusky saw himself as a "Great Pretender."

It was a name he adopted while performing in a band at his annual summer football camp for children.

"Pretending has always been a part of me," Sandusky, now 67, wrote in his autobiography, "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story," published in 2000. "I've loved trying to do the right things to hopefully make a difference in kids' lives and maybe make things better off for them. I'll never regret being called a 'great' pretender."

Two weeks after prosecutors charged him with sexually molesting eight boys he befriended through his charity, some of Sandusky's friends, fans and former players are wondering: Did the Great Pretender fool us all?

They are combing their memories for missed signs, clues that could have tipped them that the coach they once assumed was Joe Paterno's heir apparent may not have been who they thought he was.

His book -- so much in demand that its price soared over $100 on eBay last week -- provides a glimpse of a man who is not very introspective and admits to his own immaturity.

Even the title, "Touched," seems creepy in hindsight, considering the sex charges lodged against him and the tender years of his accusers.

"He talks a lot in that book about hugging kids, about loving to be around kids," editor David Newhouse, whose newspaper The Patriot News broke the Sandusky story, told CNN's Piers Morgan. "There's some chilling things in that book, and it's only when you put them together with the allegations that you can see, perhaps, what he meant."

Sandusky has denied the charges outlined in a 23-page grand jury report and insisted he is not a pedophile in an interview this week with NBC's Bob Costas. But he also said he enjoys being around kids, always has. He says he has helped hundreds, if not thousands through his charity, The Second Mile.

Beyond the sex acts and assaults, the grand jury report portrays Sandusky as both controlling and needy. He called one boy more than 100 times after the boy started avoiding him, according to phone records examined by authorities.

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 9:51 am

This is a few weeks old, but I just recently came across Nebraska coach Bo Pelini's post-game comments after the win at PSU

Quote :
I will be honest with you going into the game, I didn’t think the game should have been played, for a lot of different reasons.

I look at my job as a football coach as to educate and to prepare the kids that come into the program for the rest of their life. That’s what we are; we are a university system.

I thought that this game gave us an opportunity to show that the situation going on is bigger than football. It is bigger than the football game that was just played. It is bigger than the young men that played in the game that would have missed it, had they called it off.

It’s about education and putting things into perspective what the situation is all about. Hopefully, the fact that both teams sat up and prayed together put that in perspective a little bit.

It’s about what doing what’s right in society. It’s about doing what’s right and wrong. Trust me, when I tell you, I don’t know the specifics of the situation and I am not judging anybody. But the fact is young kids were hurt and that’s a crime in itself.

It is a lot bigger than football, the NCAA, the Big Ten and anything else. I think that at least, that’s why I think going in the game shouldn’t have been played.

But with it being played, kneeling down and praying with both teams coming together was the right thing to do and hopefully that in of itself made a statement.

I just think it is about the young kids. I got a 12-year old boy. It’s about educating the young kids. I think there were a lot of young kids, all week, with all the things going on and watching ESPN that were really confused for a lot of different reasons.

There is a lot out there that people do not know and a lot of speculation. It’s not about the adults, football or anything else. It’s about education to the youth. I think that gets lost in whole situation. Whatever comes out of it, hopefully a lot of people learned from it and nothing like that ever happens again.

There were times when I felt like here I am telling my team to ignore what’s going on because we have a game to play. But, my main job is to educate and to talk to them about it and put focus on what we know, so these young adults learn from the situation. I think it is a pretty complicated situation for a lot of reasons.

I will be honest with you, earlier in the week, I thought there is no way that we are going to play in this football game.

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 10:22 am

I can't say that I disagree with anything he said; although, it would have been nice if he shared those sentiments prior to playing the game. In saying something prior to the game, maybe they would have actually been proactive instead of reactive. It's the whole actions speak louder than words thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paterno fired   Paterno fired - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Paterno fired
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NCAA Football-
Jump to: