HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Eisenberg: Ravens Need Win More Than Bengals

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Eisenberg: Ravens Need Win More Than Bengals   Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:31 am

by John Eisenberg

There’s a dusty football axiom that argues that the team that needs a game more usually wins it. In a physical, emotional sport, matchups and X’s and O’s and all this folderol we spend hours discussing don’t matter as much as sheer drive.

It’s easy to cite examples of this coming true -- the Ravens’ 2011 season opener against the Steelers – and that should make Ravenstown uneasy heading into Sunday’s season finale in Cincinnati.

The case for the Bengals needing the game more is easily made. The Ravens are already in the playoffs, assured of a shot at the Vince Lombardi Trophy. The Bengals need to win to guarantee themselves a spot in the AFC field.

But while the Bengals rate a higher tally on the do-or-die meter, I believe the Ravens need the game as much, if not more.

Yes, they get to move on to the playoffs even if they lose, which lessens the urgency, at least in theory. But a loss on Sunday would have potentially dire consequences for them.

With 11 wins in 15 games, the Ravens have maneuvered themselves into the small group of teams with a serious shot at winning the conference title. The New England Patriots are also in the group, along with the omnipresent Pittsburgh Steelers. I’m not sure the Houston Texans are in the group, but they’re in the playoffs.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2011/12/Eisenberg_-_Ravens_Need_Win_More_Than_Bengals.aspx
-----------------------------------------------

This is one of the dumber columns I've read in recent memory. I'm really surprised that it was written by someone who covers the Ravens.

Seriously ... the Ravens need the win more than the Bengals? Is Eisenberg on drugs? If the Bengals lose, there's little chance of them even making the playoffs. The Bengals aren't concerned about seeding ... they're concerned about just getting in. And they need to win to do it.

His reasoning ...

Quote :
But a loss on Sunday would have potentially dire consequences for them (Ravens).

I guess if you have to go through both New England and Pittsburgh, it's better to not even make the playoffs at all.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Eisenberg: Ravens Need Win More Than Bengals   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:06 pm

The only reason I would say that this is true is because the Ravens have a horrible road record this year, and they know it.

That's not enough to tip the scales though, IMO.

PostSubject: Re: Eisenberg: Ravens Need Win More Than Bengals   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:55 pm

@SteelCityMom wrote:
The only reason I would say that this is true is because the Ravens have a horrible road record this year, and they know it.
True, but you have better odds of winning on the road than you do sitting on your couch in front of the TV. Just ask the Browns.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Eisenberg: Ravens Need Win More Than Bengals   Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:32 am

@SteelCityMom wrote:

That's not enough to tip the scales though, IMO.

Well, if you think about it, if they don't win this game and the Steelers win theirs, then all the hoopla with beating the Steelers twice, and even the 49ers, and having two gatorade baths this season will be all for naught as they'll still have to contend with the Steelers in the playoffs in Pittsburgh, most likely during a night game.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eisenberg: Ravens Need Win More Than Bengals   

Back to top Go down

Eisenberg: Ravens Need Win More Than Bengals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: