HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Akili Smith, surprising new path

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bayz101

PostSubject: Akili Smith, surprising new path   Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:28 am

Akili Smith found the NFL to be tough going. (Getty Images)

LostLettermen.com is a college football and men's basketball site. Today, we check in on the current whereabouts of NFL draft bust Akili Smith.

Former Oregon quarterback Akili Smith isn't where anyone thought he would be 13 years after he was selected with the third overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft: Slogging toward the finish line of finally getting his college degree.
"I gotta do a Spanish or a math [class], so I'm thinking that's going to take about a year and a half. So I should be done here in the next couple years," Smith recently said by phone.

Smith, now 36, never finished his degree as a senior at the University of Oregon when he realized he would make millions as a high NFL draft pick. He's now finishing what he started, taking classes last semester and planning to chip away over the summer at the 20 remaining credits he needs at a junior college in his native San Diego. In order to receive his diploma, Smith will eventually move back to Eugene to finish his requirements now over a decade removed from his exploits on the gridiron.

In the meantime, Smith is the quarterbacks coach at St. Augustine High School in his hometown. He is also setting up a football company called "Akili Smith Training" in the area.
Of course, this isn't the path scouts foresaw for Smith prior to the 1999 draft. A junior college transfer that dominated as a senior for the Ducks, draft pundits drooled over Smith's cannon arm and athleticism leading up to the draft despite the fact Smith had just 11 starts for Oregon.

Read more of this article...

PostSubject: Re: Akili Smith, surprising new path   Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:30 am

How many QBs (top rated) haven't made it in the league in the last 20 years. A bunch. At least he's not braking into houses looking for drugs. He's on the track to reality. I wish him the best.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Akili Smith, surprising new path   Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:51 pm

@solardave wrote:
How many QBs (top rated) haven't made it in the league in the last 20 years. A bunch. At least he's not braking into houses looking for drugs. He's on the track to reality. I wish him the best.

thats pretty much what i was going to say

its almost shocking when you read about one of these guys and it turns out to be a positive story

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Akili Smith, surprising new path   Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Good luck to him. At least he should be able to avoid prison now that he no longer plays for the Bungles.

-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Akili Smith, surprising new path   

Back to top Go down

Akili Smith, surprising new path
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: