HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

George Wilson suggests player reps got bad info about appeal process

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

PostSubject: George Wilson suggests player reps got bad info about appeal process   Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT

The ongoing rash of player arrests has caused some to argue that the situation demonstrates the importance of Commissioner Roger Goodell’s broad powers over player conduct.

Others (or, at a minimum, I) think that there’s no link between the arrests and the procedures for imposing discipline. And that, regardless of the procedures, the current system clearly isn’t working. And that to the extent players don’t believe a fair system is in place for processing player discipline, it will be difficult if not impossible to get players to buy in completely to the league’s overall efforts to monitor and punish player behavior away from the field.

Bills union representative George Wilson recently touched on that last point, explaining to Zig Fracassi and Gil Brandt of SiriusXM NFL Radio (via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News) that players “don’t figure it’s a just system when you’re appealing to the same judge who issued out the discipline.”

“How many judges do you know are going to overturn a ruling that they made?” Wilson said. “They’re not going to do that. It makes them look incompetent.”

Wilson then made the NFLPA look incompetent by suggesting that he was led to believe when voting for the new CBA that real changes to Goodell’s judge/jury/executioner powers would be made.

“The information I received and the information I had when I placed my vote was that on player discipline, a mediator will be brought in on anything over a $50,000 fine,” Wilson said. “That was my understanding and why I voted in favor of the CBA because I felt like anything over $50,000 that the Players’ Association along with a mediator would be brought in to hash out and resolve the matter.

“Whereas now, it seems as if we’re still under the same system that’s been in place since Commissioner Goodell has taken over as commissioner.”

If that happened, that’s a real problem. But it wasn’t a universal misunderstanding. Steelers representaive Ryan Clark definitely wasn’t under that impression. And his team unanimously voted against the new labor deal last year due in large part of Goodell’s powers.

(Read More:) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/george-wilson-suggests-player-reps-got-bad-info-about-appeal-process/

-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: George Wilson suggests player reps got bad info about appeal process   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Maybe the 53 men wearing black and gold seem more wise now for their votes against the CBA.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: George Wilson suggests player reps got bad info about appeal process   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:35 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
Maybe the 53 men wearing black and gold seem more wise now for their votes against the CBA.

I was a little confused when they did that, but figured it was purely to spite Herr Goodell for his facist iron fist with the Steelers. Looks like it was something much less vindictive and more sensible for their interests.

-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
bayz101

PostSubject: Re: George Wilson suggests player reps got bad info about appeal process   Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:59 pm

@Buddha Bus wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:

I was a little confused when they did that, but figured it was purely to spite Herr Goodell for his facist iron fist with the Steelers. Looks like it was something much less vindictive and more sensible for their interests.

They didn't agree with a few things that we're being implemented, so they voted against it.

PostSubject: Re: George Wilson suggests player reps got bad info about appeal process   

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: