HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

NFL will consider changes to blocking rules for safety

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

PostSubject: NFL will consider changes to blocking rules for safety   Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:21 am

By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer
Published: Nov. 23, 2012 at 07:22 p.m. Updated: Nov. 23, 2012 at 08:08 p.m.

The NFL has made a concerted effort to better protect skill players on offense, but can the same be said for players on the other side of the ball?

NFL.com's Albert Breer spoke with several players who believe the league does not treat defenders equally, both in terms of fine severity and blocking rules. The knee injury suffered by Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing on a chop block and the suspension of Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed are perceived examples of a substantial imbalance at play.

NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson told Breer the league is making an ongoing effort to improve safety on both sides.

"We have constantly made sure to protect all players, and we've expanded some of the rules in response to what defensive coaches and players have told us," Anderson said. "We added protection on illegal crack-back blocks, the plays when the H-backs and receivers come back to the interior of the line; those defensive guys are protected as defenseless players."

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000099724/article/nfl-will-consider-changes-to-blocking-rules-for-safety

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's only fair. I believe they should revise the blocking rules to protect defensive players as long as it doesn't get out of hand like QB protection rules. A chop block can end a defensive player's career easier than a helmet-to-helmet hit can end an offensive player's career. I'm glad they are going to review this and possibly change it.

-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: