HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:52 am

Calvin Johnson doesn't do anything small.

The man they call Megatron broke Jerry Rice's NFL record of 1,848 yards in a single season with a 26-yard catch and run with under four minutes remaining Saturday night in a 31-18 loss to the Atlanta Falcons.

Johnson entered Week 16 needing 181 receiving yards to break Rice's single-season record. He took care of that in one big game on Monday Night Football. On the night, Johnson caught 11 passes for 225 yards on 14 targets.

Johnson has 1,892 receiving yards heading into next week's season finale against the Chicago Bears.

It was a perfect showcase game for Johnson. He showed his wide-ranging skill set on a variety of routes over the middle and up the sideline. Johnson's underrated ability to gain yards after the catch was especially on display. The Falcons tried to double team and it just didn't matter.

The yardage record wasn't the only one Johnson set Saturday. He set the NFL record for most consecutive games over 100 yards receiving at eight and tied Michael Irvin's record of 11 games in a season with 100 or more yards.

Relive every game this season online and on-demand with enhanced viewing features, including the "All-22" coaches film. Get NFL Game Rewind.

Unfortunately, the record came late in yet another losing effort. That's been typical of this season in Detroit, but Johnson has given Lions fans a reason to cheer in a miserable season.

Johnson's monster game gives him a realistic chance to hit another milestone next week. Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson won't be the only NFL player going after 2,000 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000115026/article/calvin-johnson-smashes-jerry-rices-receiving-record

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:58 am

Is that impressive? Heck yeah. Johnson is a great receiver. But in a game where he had 225 receiving yards and broke Rice's single-season record, and Stafford threw for 442 yards, it translated into only 16 points and a yet another loss in what is a disappointing season for the Lions. Jerry Rice was breaking records while helping his team win Super Bowls.

In other words, Megatron < Rice.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:08 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
Is that impressive? Heck yeah. Johnson is a great receiver. But in a game where he had 225 receiving yards and broke Rice's single-season record, and Stafford threw for 442 yards, it translated into only 16 points and a yet another loss in what is a disappointing season for the Lions. Jerry Rice was breaking records while helping his team win Super Bowls.

The thing of it is that he is doing his part to help his team. The rest of the team is not doing there job to help him get a victory.

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:20 am

@Galax Steeler wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:

The thing of it is that he is doing his part to help his team. The rest of the team is not doing there job to help him get a victory.
When Rice put up 1,848 yards, he also scored 15 touchdowns. Johnson has only 5 TDs this season, 3 fewer than Mike Wallace.

Putting up yards is fine, but it's not translating into points. Rice was a scoring machine.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 am

only time will tell which one is the greater receiver. johnson still has a few miles to go before that distinction can be made. imo, johnson has had it a lot harder than rice ever did.

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:29 am

Rice had a team around him and Johnson does not. By no means am I saying that Johnson is better then rice to me it is hard to compare the two when the teams are very different.

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 am

@vasteeler wrote:
only time will tell which one is the greater receiver. johnson still has a few miles to go before that distinction can be made. imo, johnson has had it a lot harder than rice ever did.
I'm not sure what you mean by Johnson having it harder. I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but with the new rules that are more advantageous to offenses, Johnson has had it easier.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:46 am

@Galax Steeler wrote:
Rice had a team around him and Johnson does not. By no means am I saying that Johnson is better then rice to me it is hard to compare the two when the teams are very different.
Yeah, no doubt. The Niners were a great team. You can't look at wins and losses in determining who was better. The thing about Rice is that he was the most complete receiver I've ever seen. He ran like Mike Wallace, went up after balls like Johnson, and caught like Fitzgerald. And he was great after the catch. Many, many of his touchdowns had nothing to do with the rest of his team. He'd catch short passes over the middle and take them into the end zone. I've never seen another receiver even comparable to Rice after the catch. In a game that is about scoring, Rice had a way of always finding the end zone. Rice's catches and yards translated into points for his team. To me, that's what separates what Johnson did from what Rice did in statistically similar years.

Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:51 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Galax Steeler wrote:
Yeah, no doubt. The Niners were a great team. You can't look at wins and losses in determining who was better. The thing about Rice is that he was the most complete receiver I've ever seen. He ran like Mike Wallace, went up after balls like Johnson, and caught like Fitzgerald. And he was great after the catch. Many, many of his touchdowns had nothing to do with the rest of his team. He'd catch short passes over the middle and take them into the end zone. I've never seen another receiver even comparable to Rice after the catch. In a game that is about scoring, Rice had a way of always finding the end zone. Rice's catches and yards translated into points for his team. To me, that's what separates what Johnson did from what Rice did in statistically similar years.

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:53 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@vasteeler wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by Johnson having it harder. I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but with the new rules that are more advantageous to offenses, Johnson has had it easier.

i agree that johnson has it better as far as the rules go. i was mainly referring to the fact that rice had montana and a lot of other all stars and johnson has stafford and he is no all star.

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:02 am

It's always hard to compare players from different eras. Different rules, different levels of competition, etc. There's too many factors to take into consideration. I think we can agree that with Johnson and Rice, you can't go wrong either way.

Back to top Go down
bayz101

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:20 am

Congratulations, Calvin! Couldn't of happened to a better player, but lets be honest.

Jerry Rice is by FAR the better receiver. 18 touchdowns along with his broken record, and all of that BEFORE the game pussifcation really kicked in. I'd do ANYTHING to have a guy like Calvin on this team. Stafford sucks in the redzone. Ben can give Calvin the TD's.

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record   

Back to top Go down

Calvin Johnson smashes Jerry Rice's receiving record
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: