HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Wes Welker reportedly won't be franchised by Patriots*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Wes Welker reportedly won't be franchised by Patriots*   Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:07 am

Have we seen the last of Wes Welker with the New England Patriots*?

A source with intimate knowledge of the team's thinking told Ron Borges of the Boston Herald that the Patriots* "are simply not going to put an $11.4 million franchise tag" on the 31-year-old wide receiver.

Borges argues Welker has worked himself into a corner, and he's right. With little leverage in the situation, Welker isn't about to receive a better offer than the fully guaranteed two-year, $16 million deal he turned down in 2011. By signing his franchise tender last May, Welker veered off a path that helped previous players get paid.

Players who carried contract demands to the brink in New England -- Richard Seymour, Asante Samuel, Vince Wilfork and Logan Mankins, for example -- were among those awarded open-market value by the team. Welker squelched that opportunity by agreeing to his one-year, $9.515 million tender last spring. Contract talks went south soon after.

Unless he bends, Welker is no guarantee to return in 2013. With Brandon Lloyd due a $3 million option bonus on top of a $1.9 million base salary, it's conceivable Tom Brady could be throwing to a cast of new faces next season.

Welker has been invaluable in New England, and it's strange to imagine this offense without him, but let's not forget who these Patriots* are -- unsentimental. They're willing to shed players before anyone sees it coming. Unwilling to mortgage the future based on what has come before.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139948/article/wes-welker-reportedly-wont-be-franchised-by-Patriots*

PostSubject: Re: Wes Welker reportedly won't be franchised by Patriots*   Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:14 am

Good I thought Welker was better than being in NE. I think being in NE made him a punk instead of the player I remember coming from the Dolpins.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wes Welker reportedly won't be franchised by Patriots*   Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
Good I thought Welker was better than being in NE. I think being in NE made him a punk instead of the player I remember coming from the Dolpins.
I can't remember where I read it and I can't find it now, but I'm fairly certain it was Tweeted by Mark Kaboly that Welker is considered one of the biggest jerks in the NFL. If that's true, then he belongs with the Patriots*. Unless, of course, he signs with a team like the Cowboys, where he'd still fit right in.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wes Welker reportedly won't be franchised by Patriots*   

Back to top Go down

Wes Welker reportedly won't be franchised by Patriots*
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: