HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

New NFL rule would bar helmet hits by the rusher

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: New NFL rule would bar helmet hits by the rusher   Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:02 am

Quote :
By JOHN KRYK

A rule proposed by the NFL’s competition committee would make it a foul for a ball carrier to smash into a defender with the crown of his helmet in open space.

It would be the first rule in American football history limiting a runner’s contact with a defender, outside of egregious acts such as punching a tackler, or grabbing his facemask while stiff-arming.

Owners vote next Wednesday at the league’s annual meeting in Phoenix on whether to approve this and five other proposed new rules, announced Thursday by the competition committee on a conference call with NFL writers.

Sure to be the most controversial of the six proposed changes is the runner-contact rule. It reads:

“It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside of the tackle box. Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.”

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2013/03/14/20655776.html?cid=rsssportsnfl

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: New NFL rule would bar helmet hits by the rusher   Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 am

Quote :
Emmitt Smith Says New Safety Rule Means NFL Has “Lost Its Mind”

DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) - The NFL is changing its rules to prevent ball-carriers from initiating contact with the crown of the helmet.

It’s an attempt to make the game safer – but the league’s all-time leading rusher, Emmitt Smith, thinks the NFL should have its own head examined.

“If I’m a running back and I’m running into a linebacker, you’re telling me I have to keep my head up so he can take my chin off?’’ Smith said Thursday in an exclusive interview with Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan. “You’ve absolutely lost your mind.’’

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/03/14/emmitt-smith-says-new-safety-rule-means-nfl-has-lost-its-mind/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: New NFL rule would bar helmet hits by the rusher   Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:56 am

Another dumb rule by the NFL. And one that won't be followed through on by league officials because the game moves so fast.

Bottom line, as a RB you're taught to lower your body and your head when trying to run through somebody, but now the NFL is saying that the RB must know where the defender is going to go so he doesn't 'initiate contact' with the crown of his helmet on said defender.

It's just going to be another notch on the list of things that make this game less interesting and only something I watch when there's nothing else going on.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: New NFL rule would bar helmet hits by the rusher   Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:10 am

Stupid rule. Offensive players take enough punishment as is.

PostSubject: Re: New NFL rule would bar helmet hits by the rusher   

Back to top Go down

New NFL rule would bar helmet hits by the rusher
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: