HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

The Redskins' days are numbered

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: The Redskins' days are numbered   Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:28 am

The Redskins name has been an issue for a long time, but the heat is really being turned on this year. I've always been undecided on the name, because I can understand both sides of the issue. It's not going to go away ... the call for changing the name is only going to grow louder. I've come to the conclusion that the team should get out ahead of it and consider changing the name to something like Warriors. Unlike the Cleveland Indians' Chief Wahoo, I've never heard any complains about the Redskins' logos ... only the name. So changing the name to something like Warriors would allow the team to keep its identity while not using a name that many people find offensive. It seems like a logical compromise to me.

Quote :
Political cartoon compares Redskins logo to swastika, confederate flag

The Redskins name debate just isn't going away.

A new political cartoon in the New York Daily News is raising eyebrows by comparing the Skins logo to a swastika and the confederate flag.

Next to it is written the caption "Archaic Symbols of Pride and Heritage."

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23726152/political-cartoon-compares-redskins-logo-to-swastika-confederate-flag#ixzz2iB4ktjdW
Quote :
Va. paper banishes 'Redskins' from its pages

The Richmond Free Press is dropping the Redskins nickname for the Washington NFL team from its pages, calling it racist.

In an editorial Thursday, the weekly primarily aimed at the city's African-American community called the name insulting to Native Americans and divisive.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23726233/va-paper-banishes-redskins-from-its-pages#ixzz2iB53QYgv
Quote :
D.C. Schools Want To Ban Jerseys

WASHINGTON (WJZ) — The controversy over the name of Washington, D.C.’s football team is growing. Now a newspaper in Virginia says it will not print the name Redskins. And several schools in D.C. want to ban team jerseys from their classrooms.

Mary Bubala reports the name has been used for 80 years.

The Washington Redskins have a rich and storied history. But there is a growing call to change the team’s name as many consider the name and mascot on the helmet offensive to Native Americans.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/10/18/redskins-va-newspaper-wont-print-it-d-c-schools-want-to-ban-jerseys/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:31 am

Packers, Steelers, Texans, and Lions everywhere are revolting as well.

I think we are getting too sensitive. Now I could see if we had team names like Flamers or another DEROGATORY thing, that would be an argument that could hold some water.

Or maybe if the Redskins were better......  

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:37 am

As I said ... I can understand both sides of the argument. But this much I know ... once the left gets its teeth into a social issue, it's only a matter of time until it changes. Right or wrong, there's no point in delaying the inevitable.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:26 am

I believe Snyder will fight this one, and he's got the money to do it. He grew up a Redskins fan, and he would have to receive some heavy pressure to change it.

There's no reason to change it. We need to stop catering to those who want this country to be a bunch of whiners, crybabies, and pansy asses.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:13 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
I believe Snyder will fight this one, and he's got the money to do it.  He grew up a Redskins fan, and he would have to receive some heavy pressure to change it.
It's just a matter of time before the overwhelming negative press and boycotts start. He's going to get tons of pressure, probably even from the other owners. A single owner can't go against the will of the other owners.  

Whyant5 wrote:
I think we are getting too sensitive.  Now I could see if we had team names like Flamers or another DEROGATORY thing, that would be an argument that could hold some water.
@stlrtruck wrote:
There's no reason to change it.  We need to stop catering to those who want this country to be a bunch of whiners, crybabies, and pansy asses.
You know me ... I'm not big on political correctness. But we've reached a point in our society where it's no longer acceptable to use terms that are offensive to a group of people. I don't think it's a matter of being crybabies or whiners, or even politically correct ... as a society, we're more conscious of what's right and wrong. We know that there would never be an NFL team named after the skin color of African-Americans, whites, Hispanics, or Asians. Some people want ALL Native American names dropped .... Chiefs, Warriors, Braves, etc. I think that's taking it too far. But I don't think it's unreasonable to drop a name based on skin color or a demeaning logo (Chief Wahoo).

I understand the history and tradition of the Redskins name, but fans would eventually accept another name. When most people think of Baltimore, they now think Ravens, not Colts. When most people think Houston, they think Texans, not Oilers.

Quite honestly, I kind of like Washington Warriors.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:34 pm

I still call BS. There's no reason to change it accomodate a group of people who are offended just for the sake of being offended. The way that I understand it, is that the group that the name came to be a badge of honor towards them and they aren't the ones who are offended. It's a band of wanna be complainers who have the job of being offended.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:09 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
I believe Snyder will fight this one, and he's got the money to do it.  He grew up a Redskins fan, and he would have to receive some heavy pressure to change it.

There's no reason to change it.  We need to stop catering to those who want this country to be a bunch of whiners, crybabies, and pansy asses.
If I'm correct, Snyder has stated that he will not change the team name and logo.

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:32 am

@steelerdude15 wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:

If I'm correct, Snyder has stated that he will not change the team name and logo.
That's correct.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Quote :
Dan Snyder neighbor trademarks 'Washington Bravehearts' name

A neighbor of Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has registered the name Washington Bravehearts for use for “entertainment in the nature of football games.”

Snyder’s wealthy buddy and Potomac, Md., neighbor Aris Mardirossian registered the trademark and launched “Washington Brave Hearts LLC” on Oct. 17, TMZ first reported.

That use of the phrase “ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES IN THE FORM OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL GAMES AND EXHIBITIONS” filed with the United States Patent and Trademark office is raising eyebrows.

It’s close to the exact language used in the trademark registrations for the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A Snyder spokesman denied a name change was afoot.

“There is no connection between the Washington Redskins and the trademark application,” said a team spokesman. “Dan Snyder does not know the man named in the story.”

Snyder and Mardirossian worked together in a lawsuit against the National Park Service in a fight to chop down trees in front of their homes, a request that was denied. Snyder wanted to chop 130 trees in front of his Potomac riverfront estate in 2005.

The official trademark registration for the Washington Redskins, filed Sept. 11, 1972, says it is for “entertainment services – namely, presentations of professional football contests.”

This doesn’t mean that the Redskins are on the verge of a name change. But it is curious timing given the controversy surrounding the racial aspect of the “Redskins” name in recent months.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2013/oct/25/dan-snyder-neighbor-trademarks-washington-bravehea/#ixzz2ilJAsbFS
Washington Bravehearts? Uh ... no.

I still don't think Snyder is going down without a fight, but if he does decide to change the name, I hope he's aware that the name Braveheart mostly conjures up images of Mel Gibson. That's not a good way to avoid issues of racism.  

What do you think of this idea, Mel?

Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Bravehearts? Are you kidding me? That's an awful name.

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:33 pm

@steelerdude15 wrote:
Bravehearts? Are you kidding me? That's an awful name.
And as a person have a celtic (Irish and Scotish) heritage I am offended by the use of that name.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Redskins' days are numbered   

Back to top Go down

The Redskins' days are numbered
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: