HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round   Mon May 12, 2014 3:39 pm

As we all know, and can't forget because of all the media hoopla surrounding it, the St Louis Rams selected Michael Sam in the 7th LB Michael Sam (Missouri).

As we all know, Sam is the first openly gay player to be drafted to the NFL.

Here's my problem, everyone is focusing more on the fact that he's gay versus his ability (or lack there of - determining how you want to look at it) to play football. The NFL has made a bigger deal out of this than those drafted in the first round.

The biggest measuring stick will be whether or not he can transition to the NFL. Yes, there will be a lot of people hoping he makes the roster cut, but what will those same people be claiming if he doesn't? Will it be the, "He got cut because he was gay?" change or will people be able to see he couldn't make it in the NFL. Likewise, if he does make the cut, will it be the, "They kept him on the roster because he was gay." chant - regardless if he can play or not.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round   Thu May 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Totally agree. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a multi-million dollar lawsuit that gets filed by GLAAD if he DOESN"T make the cut.

I have absolutely nothing against homosexuals playing in the NFL - absolutely nothing. However, there shouldn't be this much hoopla and bru ha ha with regards to this particular draftee. They want to be treated equally which should be the case. It's the media and the special interest groups that force feed the nation the political correctness end of it which just ends up ticking the majority of people off.

He got drafted very late, as I believe, not because he was homosexual, but because he isn't a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd round talent.

I just hope, for the Ram's sake, this doesn't turn into a big circus.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round   Thu May 15, 2014 7:34 pm

I understand why the media is making such a big deal about it ... because he's the first. Over time, as more openly gay players get drafted, it won't be a big deal.

I've heard a lot of talk about how good he was in college yet didn't get drafted until very late. The thought being that teams didn't draft him because he's gay. I don't know much about him as a player, but from what I've heard and read from analysts, he's somewhat of a tweener linebacker, and players like him generally don't get drafted high, if at all. An argument can be made that the reason he did get drafted is because he's gay, and the Rams wanted to be the team to give him a shot. Everyone can speculate, but only the Rams and the teams that didn't draft him know their true reasoning.

At the end of the day, he now has a shot like everyone else who was drafted. If he makes the team, it will be because he's good enough. If he doesn't make the team, it will be because he's not good enough. If he gets cut, of course there will be many (probably people who don't know anything about football) who'll claim it's because he's gay. If he makes the team, we can expect a lot of hype and coverage of him throughout the season. This was bound to happen sooner or later. Now that it's happening, it'll become less and less of a big deal as time goes on.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round   Fri May 16, 2014 3:46 am

I am just sick of all the political-correct lunacy that this nation has become engaged in - and the media sometimes just doesn't know when to quit. The latest headlines for Sam is : Groups hoping he can change Missouri Law. Seriously? The guy is an NFL football player, not a politician. I don't want to see the NFL turned into a platform for anything. Additionally, all the political correctness is getting out of hand. The Dolphins player who tweeted : "Horrible" is now suspended and has to undergo some time of educational training. I get that the Dolphins are a private organization, but what about respecting free speech? All he is said was "horrible". So it's his opinion. Are we not all entitled to one, or only one that is a liberal view?

Just like the Clipper's owner. He didn't use the "N" word, but gets blasted for using the word "black". Yet, Michael Jordan has publically stated that he dislikes (or hates) white people -- where was the media on that one? Anyone that knows me, knows I am the farthest one can get from any type of bigotry -- I'm just tired of all of the "mental conditioning" that the media is a huge part of.

On the other hand, just ignore my rantings. It is final's week, and I am mega stressed out. But hell that rant felt good!

Ohh wait, one last thought. I am going to propose that each NFL team gets the opportunity to play in the super bowl. You know, kind of like the draft. The two worst teams get to play, then the next year two more teams get to play.........that way, nobody's feelings will be hurt or their self esteem damaged.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round   Fri May 16, 2014 7:18 am

Here's my thing, and I've seen a few rebuttals along this line.

When Tebow was in the NFL he was openly mocked for his faith in Jesus Christ. Humiliated, and very few, if any of the media or the powers that be in the NFL came to his defense.

But now, with Michael Sam, everyone is bending over backwards to lay down in front of him like he's some kind of hero. Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry with Michael Sam, but at what point does the hypocrisy stop and WE (that would be everyone) start living.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round   Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:42 pm

So Michael Sam played in the CFL last night and failed to record a tackle. I think we can say that he wasn't cut from NFL teams for any reason than his physical ability.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13398190/michael-sam-makes-cfl-debut-montreal-alouettes

I hope he works on his game and carves out a career, but he needs to work on his game a lot more.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round   Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Well there's news, last I heard he left the CFL Team and came back stateside.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round   

Back to top Go down

Rams take Michael Sam in the 7th round
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: