HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

This is not your father's NFL

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

PostSubject: This is not your father's NFL   Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Back in the day, the NFL was known for it's rough and tough players. Players that made a name for being mean, violent, and on the edge of playing within the rules.

Hell, the Steelers organization that started it all, was known as one of the most toughest defenses in NFL History. That's right H-I-S-T-O-R-Y. However, that history has become nothing more than a, "Back in my day..." type memory. The NFL has made it's namesake by the efforts of the men who laid the ground work of what it meant to be a gladiator in the NFL and having opposing teams fearing their name. Now the NFL is getting their namesake by news stories that won't go away and the lack of consistency on the field.

When did it change? Well, most would point to the time when Roger Goodell took over as the commissioner. His inability to be consistent in his discipline as well as his inability to appease the fans and their desire for hard hitting football, you know, OLD SCHOOL. The game has changed, and some would say not for the better.

The hard hits that were once part of the game between the lines have taken center stage off the field. Player beating their girlfriends, wives, and/or children. A commissioner who can't figure out what to do, and his knee-jerk reactions have weakened the integrity of 'The Shield'

Let's face it, this NFL we watch today is nothing like the NFL we grew up watching. And certainly isn't the ones our fathers and grandfathers watched.

Sometimes I long for the days of yore. I miss football the way it use to be.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: This is not your father's NFL   Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Certainly Goodell has made the game soft, that's for sure. I also think free agency has changed the game. It use to be that most players spent their entire careers with the same team. Now, the norm is 3 to 4 years (if that) and move on to better cash.

Honestly, I think one of the problems with all the off field issues is that you have young 20- somethings getting exorbitant amounts of money and a lot of them can't handle it. It has become a huge money business. Remember what the Chief said?:

"I don't think he'd be too thrilled about what's going on today," said Dan Rooney, who has run the Steelers since his father's death. "I can remember him telling me, 'You'll rue the day you take all that money from the networks. It won't be our game as much anymore. It'll be their game.

I'm with you Truck. I miss the "old" NFL.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: This is not your father's NFL   Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:19 pm

So Roger Goodell admits to getting it wrong.

But I'm curious if he feels if he should be judged, juried, and executed in the same manner in which he disciplined players that 'got it wrong' a few times themselves. I wonder if he feels if he should be fined the way he levied fines against players that 'got it wrong'.

You see Roger Goodell set a standard that was anything but a standard. Instead he started off with knee-jerk reactions, and has continued with knee-jerk reactions. And that in part is what has started the decline of the NFL (as I once knew it).

Sorry Roger, but if you were to be judged the way you judged players from your office, then not only would you be fined and suspended, you'd be suspended indefinitely. Now do us all a favor and resign, and allow the new commissioner to fix what you have broken.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: This is not your father's NFL   Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:33 pm

I think we should allow James Harrison to decide on the punishment.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: This is not your father's NFL   Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:39 am

@Gingerchip wrote:
I think we should allow James Harrison to decide on the punishment.  

I'm not trying to kill the guy

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is not your father's NFL   

Back to top Go down

This is not your father's NFL
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: