HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries   Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:51 pm

The commissioner was warned by several players that the only thing that would change in the changing of the rules was the difference in the injuries.

He ignored those warnings.

The league moved forward with the changes in the rules on where players could be hit. And now, going in to Wild Card weekend, the Steelers, surprisingly it was one of their players who mentioned this new injury, pay the price for the new injury location.

Le'Veon Bell sat on the turf in pain. His knee, aching, reeling in uncertainty of his future. Thankfully, this time, there isn't sufficient damage and while there is hope he may still play on Saturday, I now wonder what next hit will leave a playoff team without a key member of their team?

Imagine the Patriots** without Gronk. What about the ratbirds without Steve Smith Sr? Maybe the bungals without AJ Green. Or can you imagine the Seahawks without Lynch?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing about the legality of the hit, I'm just wondering if the NFL did their due diligence before changing the rules. Would it have mattered in Bell's injury? Hard to say. But what matters now is not only the results of multiple concussions on players, but the long term damage to knee ligaments now that the NFL has set a new standard - forget aiming high, go low.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries   Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:27 pm

It's a catch 22. You get popped in the brain too many times and you might not have much of a cognitive life after football. You get popped in the knee once and your career may be over before it started. Players are just faster and stronger so some of these hits can just spell bad news for those involved.

PostSubject: Re: Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries   Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:38 pm

@SteelersYak wrote:
It's a catch 22.  You get popped in the brain too many times and you might not have much of a cognitive life after football.  You get popped in the knee once and your career may be over before it started.  Players are just faster and stronger so some of these hits can just spell bad news for those involved.

I agree, but the problem is the NFL doesn't listen to the players that warned them. They continue to make knee jerk decisions because key players get hurt. Pretty soon the defense will have grab the guy by the waist and lure him to the ground like they're serenading a woman to bed.

It's an impact sport and the NFL has to recognize that before they make changes that carry heavier consequences.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries   Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Pretty soon it will just be the National Flag League. I hate seeing guys get hurt but I also know they A. signed up for it and B. get paid a nice lump sum of money to do so. IMO, taking out someone's knee is a lot worse than hitting high because the upper part of the body has more protection than the lower part.

PostSubject: Re: Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries   Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:02 pm

@SteelersYak wrote:
Pretty soon it will just be the National Flag League.  I hate seeing guys get hurt but I also know they A. signed up for it and B. get paid a nice lump sum of money to do so.  IMO, taking out someone's knee is a lot worse than hitting high because the upper part of the body has more protection than the lower part.

Amen brother. I hate seeing anyone get hurt too (except maybe Suggs - just kidding)

And honestly, I would like to see the hard number ratio of players that played in the 70s and 80s, and concussions.

Well, at least Tom Terrific will be happy playing flag football. He will be able to play well into his 60s

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries   Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 pm

@Gingerchip wrote:
Well, at least Tom Terrific will be happy playing flag football.  He will be able to play well into his 60s

Even then, touching his flag will be a penalty

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries   Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Why don't they have potential NFL players, prior to the draft, sit with a doctor and their own attorney and have all of the medical implications thoroughly explained to them. You know, all the things that could possibly medically affect a person playing football, from spinal chord injuries, to brain tumors and early dementia.

The potential draft pick then signs a statement whereby he will not be allowed to file lawsuits for any future head injury against the NFL. I mean, that's what it really boils down to right? I don't believe for a second that the NFL (esp Roger) really cares about the player, but rather cares about potential lawsuits and what it will cost the league and the owners in damages.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries   

Back to top Go down

Change in NFL rules results in new NFL injuries
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: