HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:28 am

Today's puzzle.....synonym for Jarvis Jones.

B _ S T

"Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel...... a U."

No motor, no hussle, no urgency......but he looks tough.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:41 am

Jarvis Jones is for me the disappointment of the preseason so far. In his 3rd year he needs to become a solid part of our defense but I haven't seen a glimpse of that yet. Hopefully he will stand up once the real season starts.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:34 am

must be the new cover 2 defense Tomlin / Butler are in stalling that slowing him down.

third year he needs to show more.

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:27 pm

3rd season. He needs to show he can stay on the field and make plays. I don't care about his numbers at the end of the year, just make your presence felt.

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:17 pm

I hate to be so negative about a guy but, but that defense needs more than a solid role player, it needs a stud playmaker......1st round picks and especially ones at that position for this team need to produce more.

we shouldnt be having to rely on Silverback nearly as much now.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora -

Jarvis Jones rushing as the LOLB in OL/DL. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:13 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora -

Jarvis Jones rushing as the LOLB in OL/DL. #Steelers

They are trying to see if he is serviceable at LOLB, because he cant make an impact on the right side. Reminds me of when Worilds could not be productive on the Right side. Not a great sign IMO.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:57 pm

Alex Kozora retweeted
Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala

Steelers DC Keith Butler won't mince words over '13 1st rounder Jarvis Jones: "This is the year. He's got to have a good year. He knows it."

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:35 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Alex Kozora retweeted
Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala  

Steelers DC Keith Butler won't mince words over '13 1st rounder Jarvis Jones: "This is the year. He's got to have a good year. He knows it."

Its time for Keith Butler to shut up about Jarvis Jones.

$2.7 million in dead money in 2016 unfortunately. Bright side is that maybe Bud Dupree will step up and be ready to start in 2016.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:44 pm

steelers film room: consistency from lb jarvis jones against the Patriots**

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-film-room-consistency-from-lb-jarvis-jones-against-the-Patriots*/

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Another test for Jarvis next week against Staley.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:49 pm

He played better. He was around the ball more consistently and he played with a hard edge.

He's got to keep the arrow up. But it was a good sign.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:04 am

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:01 am

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Jones was the first off the ball. He needs to keep that shit up.

Him and Jones abused Nate solder, who went from a $10 mil/year extension 2 days earlier, to getting benched.

The rush defense is tight. Need to find a way to teleport to the QB in under two seconds though.

. .
Back to top Go down
Craziaskowboi

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:55 am

Jarvis Jones has played 22 games in the NFL. That's not even a season and a half worth of games. If we could be patient with Lawrence Timmons as he developed, then we can be patient with Jarvis Jones too.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:51 am

Jones was selected because he could rush the passer, but he really cant do that in the NFL. Doesn't have the quickness or bend around the edge. He's always had good leverage and his bull rush is his 1 trick. Sadly a 5th round talent selected in the 1st round.

Watch the Steelers depot gifs and 1. yes he gets under Solder on 1 play, 2. he shows a good bull rush and walks Solder back and 3. he goes around the edge as Solder is late out of his stance, but Jones still isn't quick enough to turn the corner as Solder reaches out and rides him out the back of the pocket.

So, even in 3 "highlighted clips" he makes 1 tackle and all are a result of the OT being too high in his stance.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:52 pm

So far most of the Defensive draft picks the last 6 or 7 years have been pretty abysmal so many misses it's destroyed a once feared defense.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Steelers use fresh approach to outside linebacker rotation

By Chris Adamski
Monday, Sept. 14, 2015

The Steelers have four outside linebackers they believe are capable of contributing. All played a significant portion of the Steelers' defensive plays in their opener against the Patriots*. Interestingly, the “backups” played more than the starters:

Percent ofPlayer Snaps total snaps (61)

James Harrison 38 62

Bud Dupree 26 43

Jarvis Jones* 24 39

Arthur Moats* 20 33

* — started

Bud Dupree didn't start in his NFL debut. But he did play more than both starters at his position.

Dupree picked up a sack on the first of his 26 defensive snaps for which he was on the field during Thursday's season opener. Part of a rotation with Jarvis Jones, Arthur Moats and James Harrison at outside linebacker, Dupree was OK with the Steelers' four-man approach to a job typically handled by two.

“When we're doing that,” the rookie from Kentucky said, “everybody is able to come in and give it their best shot.

“It keeps our legs fresh. That's why we do it.”

The theory worked the first time it was used involving Dupree. He entered the game six plays into the Patriots*' initial drive (Harrison was in by the second snap, and he had his first tackle).

Never mind Dupree was untouched and a missed assignment or miscommunication by New England facilitated the play — maybe the shuffling of personnel by the Steelers, even in some small way, contributed to the Patriots* losing track of Dupree.

While that could be a benefit of a rotation that is one of the deepest positions on the Steelers roster, the primary advantage is keeping players fresh. When one of the primary edge rushers is 37 years old (Harrison) and another rookie is adjusting to the NFL's physicality, a rotation makes sense.

Outside linebackers coach Joey Porter is in charge of utilizing the personnel.

“He's reading your body language,” Moats said. “And if a guy he feels is looking a bit winded, he's ready to get fresh body in there. As outside linebackers, we feel that's good for us because it's going to keep us fresh. We'll be able to play harder and play more efficient snaps. So we're not complaining.”

Jones and Moats started but played fewer snaps than their “backups.”

There were times Harrison and Dupree entered the game as a tandem but during other situations Harrison came in. There are packages in which only one outside linebacker is on the field.

Against Tom Brady's quick release, it's difficult to gauge the results. Dupree was the only linebacker to lay a finger on Brady. But the Steelers were satisfied with their pass rush.

“You've definitely got to be more productive (with your snaps) in (a rotation) because you're not getting as many reps,” Moats said. “But if you are playing 60 snaps, and 20 of them are loafs — you should've come out anyway.”

Moats said the security of knowing reinforcements are available allows for maximum effort.

“Because you know for a fact, ‘If I need to come out, I've got a fresh guy to come in,' ” Moats said. “And if it's only for three or four plays, I can get right back in there.”

That didn't necessarily happen Thursday — Moats was limited to 20 snaps, and Jones 24.

“I don't really pay attention to that. I just try to take advantage of the opportunities when I'm on the field,” Jones said. “We like the rotation.

“It keeps us fresh. I think Coach Porter's doing a good job.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9091038-74/snaps-dupree-moats#ixzz3lqeFKAVs
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:40 am

What happened to Jarvis Jones? The 2013 first-round draft pick was taken out of the OLB rotation with 5:30 left in regulation and didn't return. James Harrison and Arthur Moats took on larger roles at ROLB, with Harrison in on a handful of short-yardage tackles. Harrison had previously flushed Joe Flacco to begin the fumble sequence to Ross Cockrell, and on very late plays put his helmet into Flacco's stomach and then sacked Flacco and came up with the ball, although ruled down.

Those are the types of plays Jones needs to make, particularly against reserve tackles such as James Hurt. Jones is instead last in the four-man rotation with 117 snaps to Harrison's 162 (Dupree 146, Moates 127).

It's obviously not what the Steelers want to see in their former first-rounder behind the 37-year-old Harrison. They surely don't want to have to draft another pass-rusher.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1594815-overreaction-steelers-replace-scobee
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:31 am

He was a non-factor against the Ravens.

When I re-watched the game he was repeatedly handled one on one....easily.

I counted one play in which he made a significant impact.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:36 pm

He's being asked to drop back too much in this defense ......Drop back to the bench.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:00 pm

haha!

the jarvis as a starter experiment is coming to an end.

one play vs the ravens he was thrown to the ground like a rag doll and i was embarrassed for him.

. .
Back to top Go down
Chaotic Zen
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Jarvis Jones is stunting Chickillo's development.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:30 pm

i have defended J.J. for the longest time..........I can no longer do that

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:10 pm

@Chaotic Zen wrote:
Jarvis Jones is stunting Chickillo's development.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh for the day and this post did it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   

Back to top Go down

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: