HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Redskins name may prevent new stadium

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:28 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-washington-redskins%e2%80%99-offensive-name-may-thwart-the-team%e2%80%99s-plan-for-a-new-stadium/ar-AAcvFcj

Quote :
In an move to pressure the Washington Redskins football organization, US Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said that her office will likely bar the team’s plans to build a new stadium in Washington, DC unless it changes its name—which is seen as racist toward Native Americans.

Jewell oversees America’s trust lands and treaties with Native American tribes and the National Park Service which owns the land where the team wants to rebuild its stadium. She called the team’s name “a relic of the past.”

“Personally, I think we would never consider naming a team the ‘Blackskins’ or the ‘Brownskins’ or the ‘Whiteskins,’ ” Jewell told ABC News. The term “redskin” has been associated with the practice of killing Native Americans for bounty or a scalped head sold for cash.

In the ultimate display of a world gone truly made, we're more concerned about the name of a professional sports team instead of the running of our country. It's ridiculous. We've become such an uber sensitive society that we automatically insist that things change because a select few find an item (be it a name, flag, etc) offensive.

When will it stop? Will it end when everything is removed from society? Is it no longer acceptable to agree to disagree?

If I find something offensive, I don't buy it, I don't watch it, I don't socialize with it. So if people find the Redskins name offensive, then I say don't buy the tickets, don't buy the jerseys, don't support the team. Matter of fact do the opposite, buy their arch rivals stuff.

This needs to stop.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:55 am

I don't see any problem with changing the name. The Redskins are free to do what they want, but might have a hard time getting a new stadium if they don't change it.

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:08 am

wait.....dont they already play in a fairly new stadium?

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:26 pm

@vasteeler wrote:
wait.....dont they already play in a fairly new stadium?

FedEx Field is roughly 20 years old, maybe slightly older

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:27 pm

@harrison'samonster wrote:
I don't see any problem with changing the name.  The Redskins are free to do what they want, but might have a hard time getting a new stadium if they don't change it.

That's my point. They shouldn't have to change their name to get a new stadium deal.

Some people find it offensive, some don't. So because some find it offense THEY JUST change their name?

It's ridiculous to think that we get our panties in a bunch over something like this. Let alone that politicians will throw their hats in to the ring only to make it an issue.

This shouldn't be an issue AT ALL.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:05 pm

new name the Washington Incompetent Management

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:34 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
I don't see any problem with changing the name.  The Redskins are free to do what they want, but might have a hard time getting a new stadium if they don't change it.

That's my point.  They shouldn't have to change their name to get a new stadium deal.

Some people find it offensive, some don't.  So because some find it offense THEY JUST change their name?

It's ridiculous to think that we get our panties in a bunch over something like this.  Let alone that politicians will throw their hats in to the ring only to make it an issue.

I'm not bothered by the name, but I can definitely see the point of people who want it changed. But unless I'm missing something in your words, your post could be read just like "I'm not bothered by it, so everybody else should just deal with it." It's not up to us to say what somebody else should or shouldn't stand up against.

I realize it's not as simple as just changing the name, some people will lose a lot of money due to merchandizing deals and stuff like that. But I just think if in a situation like this, if your sports team has a name that has negative connotations such as racism or genocide, it would be best just to change it.

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:21 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:

That's my point.  They shouldn't have to change their name to get a new stadium deal.

Some people find it offensive, some don't.  So because some find it offense THEY JUST change their name?

It's ridiculous to think that we get our panties in a bunch over something like this.  Let alone that politicians will throw their hats in to the ring only to make it an issue.

I'm not bothered by the name, but I can definitely see the point of people who want it changed.  But unless I'm missing something in your words, your post could be read just like "I'm not bothered by it, so everybody else should just deal with it."  It's not up to us to say what somebody else should or shouldn't stand up against.

I realize it's not as simple as just changing the name, some people will lose a lot of money due to merchandizing deals and stuff like that.  But I just think if in a situation like this, if your sports team has a name that has negative connotations such as racism or genocide, it would be best just to change it.

My point is we can't go about changing names, mascots, flags, etc just because a specific group find it offensive. If that's the case, then we'll start changing and stopping everything because it's found offensive.

It's a world gone mad. If we start changing this name, then what about the Dolphins because PETA finds it offensive? What about the Raiders and Buccaneers because they were groups of people that did harm to innocent people? And let's face it, the cowboys certainly don't represent the cowboys of old. See where this can lead?

It starts off here, but what's next? Who is next? Of all the places politics doesn't belong, sports is it.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:

My point is we can't go about changing names, mascots, flags, etc just because a specific group find it offensive.  If that's the case, then we'll start changing and stopping everything because it's found offensive.

It's a world gone mad.  If we start changing this name, then what about the Dolphins because PETA finds it offensive?  What about the Raiders and Buccaneers because they were groups of people that did harm to innocent people?  And let's face it, the cowboys certainly don't represent the cowboys of old.  See where this can lead?

It starts off here, but what's next?  Who is next?  Of all the places politics doesn't belong, sports is it.

I agree with you that something like a name shouldn't be changed just because people complain. Your example for changing the Dolphins name is a good one. Nobody would go along with it (partly because we all know PETA is crazy to start with). On the other hand, the reason this issue of changing the Redskins' name has stuck around is because the people who find it offensive have a reason for being offended.

To me though, just because somebody will be offended by something else in the future doesn't seem like a valid reason to stand by the Redskins name in the present.

As to your question of where it ends, I don't think it ever does. The task for us level headed people is to fight against it becoming a witch hunt like the McCarthy era politics or the Salem witch trials.

And on a personal note, as a person who idolized Long John Silvers as a little kid, there's nothing wrong with pirates lol.

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:04 pm

On the other hand, the reason this issue of changing the Redskins' name has stuck around is because the people who find it offensive have a reason for being offended.

But what about people of the same heritage (or like heritage) that do not find it offensive?

I could understand if the entire Indian nation found it offensive, but they're mixed feelings amongst the individuals who are at the center of being offended.

It seems to me the most offended people are the ones who have no right to be offended (the non-Indians or non-Indian heritage)

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:44 am

@stlrtruck wrote:

But what about people of the same heritage (or like heritage) that do not find it offensive?

I could understand if the entire Indian nation found it offensive, but they're mixed feelings amongst the individuals who are at the center of being offended.

It seems to me the most offended people are the ones who have no right to be offended (the non-Indians or non-Indian heritage)

I would have to say that's the reason it hasn't been changed yet.  If the entire Indian nation wanted it changed, I think there would be a lot more support to change it.  Hard to say how it's going to turn out.

But I guess my point is, the reason this has stuck around as an issue is because the people who want it changed have a good reason, and to me there just isn't a good argument for keeping an offensive name for a sports team.

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:42 am

@stlrtruck wrote:

I would have to say that's the reason it hasn't been changed yet.  If the entire Indian nation wanted it changed, I think there would be a lot more support to change it.  Hard to say how it's going to turn out.

But I guess my point is, the reason this has stuck around as an issue is because the people who want it changed have a good reason, and to me there just isn't a good argument for keeping an offensive name for a sports team.

Here's my argument. If all the Indians found it offensive, then I could understand changing the name. However, some Indians find the name to be an honor to their ancestors. It is truly the opposite feeling of those being offended, so their argument would be sound. So how can you take away rights from the team or demand they change their name when the opinions of those who have the right to be offended differ.

I have an idea. Let's untangle all the panties that have gotten in a bunch over this, ring them out, hand out some new heavier panties, and tell people to move along and find something more important to be offended by - like the politicians pulling their bullshit tricks.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:18 am

@stlrtruck wrote:

Here's my argument.  If all the Indians found it offensive, then I could understand changing the name.  However, some Indians find the name to be an honor to their ancestors.  It is truly the opposite feeling of those being offended, so their argument would be sound.  So how can you take away rights from the team or demand they change their name when the opinions of those who have the right to be offended differ.

I have an idea.  Let's untangle all the panties that have gotten in a bunch over this, ring them out, hand out some new heavier panties, and tell people to move along and find something more important to be offended by - like the politicians pulling their bullshit tricks.

that's a good argument, but speaking as somebody who's on the fence with this issue, anybody has a right to be offended. I can see it as something offensive, but not so much I would seek to force a name change.

I guess we'll see how it goes, I'm still surprised this story is still around. I thought it would go away, and it still might.

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:33 am

seeing the Redskins getting beat by the Cowboys twice a year can see where a few Indians would be pissed off by the team's name.

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:40 am

@effyou515 wrote:
seeing the Redskins getting beat by the Cowboys twice a year can see where a few Indians would be pissed off by the team's name.

especially if they bought scalped tickets and ended up watching a massacre.

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:30 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:

Here's my argument.  If all the Indians found it offensive, then I could understand changing the name.  However, some Indians find the name to be an honor to their ancestors.  It is truly the opposite feeling of those being offended, so their argument would be sound.  So how can you take away rights from the team or demand they change their name when the opinions of those who have the right to be offended differ.

I have an idea.  Let's untangle all the panties that have gotten in a bunch over this, ring them out, hand out some new heavier panties, and tell people to move along and find something more important to be offended by - like the politicians pulling their bullshit tricks.

No one is forcing them to change it. The team doesn't find it offensive so they keep it. The people in control of the site the team wants for the new stadium find it offensive so they don't choose to do business with a team with that name. Both parties follow their opinions on this. Even the trademark office opinion doesn't force the team to change.

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:09 am

@Vis wrote:
No one is forcing them to change it.  The team doesn't find it offensive so they keep it.  The people in control of the site the team wants for the new stadium find it offensive so they don't choose to do business with a team with that name.  Both parties follow their opinions on this.  Even the trademark office opinion doesn't force the team to change.  

First, the trademark office has over stepped their boundaries by taking away their trademark. They're job is not to police what is deemed offensive. If that is the case then why are trademarks out there for things that other groups find offensive? Just saying. However, if they lose the trademark, then the Redskins and in turn the NFL will start losing money.

Second, I have no problem with the site owners refusing to do business with them. And I'm sure the Redskins could find someone willing to do business with them regardless of name.

Finally, for once I hope the Redskins come out on top on this one. While I know the discussion has been going on for some time now, I find it funny that this didn't become a serious issue until last year when Bob Costas had his rant at halftime of a game. Then Obama gave his 2 cents on the issue. Somehow, immediately afterwards, people began ranting and raving. Smells like a conspiracy covered in political BS.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
Vis

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:13 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
@Vis wrote:
No one is forcing them to change it.  The team doesn't find it offensive so they keep it.  The people in control of the site the team wants for the new stadium find it offensive so they don't choose to do business with a team with that name.  Both parties follow their opinions on this.  Even the trademark office opinion doesn't force the team to change.  

First, the trademark office has over stepped their boundaries by taking away their trademark.  They're job is not to police what is deemed offensive.  If that is the case then why are trademarks out there for things that other groups find offensive?  Just saying.  However, if they lose the trademark, then the Redskins and in turn the NFL will start losing money.

Second, I have no problem with the site owners refusing to do business with them.  And I'm sure the Redskins could find someone willing to do business with them regardless of name.

Finally, for once I hope the Redskins come out on top on this one.  While I know the discussion has been going on for some time now, I find it funny that this didn't become a serious issue until last year when Bob Costas had his rant at halftime of a game.  Then Obama gave his 2 cents on the issue.  Somehow, immediately afterwards, people began ranting and raving.  Smells like a conspiracy covered in political BS.

There are many words denied trademarks.

Section 2(a) of the U.S. Trademark Act allows the USPTO to refuse placement on the Principal Register of Trademarks if a mark doesn’t meet their standards of morality and decency.

To be considered “scandalous,” a mark must be “shocking to the sense of truth, decency or propriety; disgraceful; offensive; disreputable; . . . giving offense to the conscience or moral feelings; . . . [or] calling out [for] condemnation,” in the context of the marketplace as applied to goods and/or services described in the application. In re Mavety Media Group Ltd., 33 F.3d 1367, 1371, 31 USPQ2d 1923, 1925 (Fed. Cir. 1994) (quoting In re Riverbank Canning Co., 95 F.2d 327, 328, 37 USPQ 268, 269 (C.C.P.A. 1938); In re Wilcher Corp., 40 USPQ2d 1929, 1930 (TTAB 1996); see TMEP §1203.01. Scandalousness is determined from the standpoint of “not necessarily a majority, but a substantial composite of the general public, . . . and in the context of contemporary attitudes.” In re Mavety Media Group Ltd., 33 F.3d at 1371, 31 USPQ2d at 1925; see TMEP §1203.01.

PostSubject: Re: Redskins name may prevent new stadium   

Back to top Go down

Redskins name may prevent new stadium
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: