HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:41 am

The bloggers are tripping over themselves to type doom and gloom tweets about Cornerback, yet the Steelers basically have the same guys on the team as last season, but upgraded by adding Boykin over McCain.

Shamarko Thomas, Jarvis Jones and Mike Adams are probably happy they aren't drawing the ire from Mom's basements like they have in the past. And lost in the shuffle is the fact that a 12 year veteran and a 2nd round reach coming off 2 groin injuries are playing safety for the Steelers.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:56 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
The bloggers are tripping over themselves to type doom and gloom tweets about Cornerback, yet the Steelers basically have the same guys on the team as last season, but upgraded by adding Boykin over McCain.

Shamarko Thomas, Jarvis Jones and Mike Adams are probably happy they aren't drawing the ire from Mom's basements like they have in the past.  And lost in the shuffle is the fact that a 12 year veteran and a 2nd round reach coming off 2 groin injuries are playing safety for the Steelers.

I think the corners are a bit worrisome but you're right that safety is the biggest area of concern in the secondary. Mike Mitchell has done nothing so far to inspire any kind of confidence in him, and Will Allen has been a capable back up, but I don't know if he can shoulder the load all season as the starter. Shamarko Thomas has been a humongous let down, I know it was only preseason but his tackling was awful, the angles he took to tackle were extremely poor, and he was out of position getting burned far too often. So the Safeties are definitely a bigger concern.

The other major concern to me is the pass rush. When we can generate some kind of a pass rush it really helps mask some of the flaws in the secondary. I am hoping we see an improved pass rush from last season, but only time will tell if that happens.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:50 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Shamarko Thomas, Jarvis Jones and Mike Adams are probably happy they aren't drawing the ire from Mom's basements like they have in the past.  And lost in the shuffle is the fact that a 12 year veteran and a 2nd round reach coming off 2 groin injuries are playing safety for the Steelers.

I think the corners are a bit worrisome but you're right that safety is the biggest area of concern in the secondary. Mike Mitchell has done nothing so far to inspire any kind of confidence in him, and Will Allen has been a capable back up, but I don't know if he can shoulder the load all season as the starter. Shamarko Thomas has been a humongous let down, I know it was only preseason but his tackling was awful, the angles he took to tackle were extremely poor, and he was out of position getting burned far too often. So the Safeties are definitely a bigger concern.

The other major concern to me is the pass rush. When we can generate some kind of a pass rush it really helps mask some of the flaws in the secondary. I am hoping we see an improved pass rush from last season, but only time will tell if that happens.

I'm hopeful that under a cover 2 scheme with some blitzing and good slot corner play with Boykin and Blake...the defense will force some turnovers. If Harrisons snaps are managed, I think we see him apply pressure and Dupree looked to have the burst to get to the QB...he just needs to get more comfortable.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:14 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

I'm hopeful that under a cover 2 scheme with some blitzing and good slot corner play with Boykin and Blake...the defense will force some turnovers.  If Harrisons snaps are managed, I think we see him apply pressure and Dupree looked to have the burst to get to the QB...he just needs to get more comfortable.

I concur. I think Dupree showed some flashes this preseason, he definitely just needs to stick his nose in there and get a level of comfortability with this defense. Then he can start teeing off.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Steelcitian

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:15 am

This means we are going to make rookie and back up QB's look like Joe Montana again this year.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:06 pm

if it makes anyone feel better, former steeler bryce mccain is starting for the dolphins this week-

Quote :
McCain is listed ahead of Taylor on the team’s first official depth chart of the season, and although the chart is certainly not binding, it supports what the Miami Herald has heard independently.

McCain was among the league’s top slot cornerbacks in football last year, so when the Dolphins go to their nickel package, there’s a good chance he will slide inside and Taylor will work the boundary.

McCain has started 19 games in his six-year NFL career, recording eight interceptions and breaking up 39 passes.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article34381623.html

. .
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Hopefully he'll play enough to get us a 6th round pick.
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:54 am

So How did that Secondary look ? i missed the game
Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:40 am

@BKAnthem wrote:
So How did that Secondary look ? i missed the game

They were lost. They made a lot of communication errors with each other and with the linebackers, where they left Gronk completely uncovered. They didn't stay close to receivers very often, and didn't play aggressively enough at the line of scrimmage. It may have been a coaching decision on some of the calls, but even when they pressed, they didn't do a good job of jamming receivers and tight ends at the line.

They've got work to do.

And with all that said, they are one forced fumble recovery at the goal line from turning that game around. But the Patriots* got a huge break when Gronk made the recovery.

We'll see how much they progress over the next few games.

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Mike Tomlin led #Steelers teams have played Brady 5 times now and registered zero interceptions in those games. 17TDs

— Steelers Depot (@Steelersdepot) September 11, 2015
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:07 am

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Mike Tomlin led #Steelers teams have played Brady 5 times now and registered zero interceptions in those games. 17TDs

This is very Telling...

I have a feeling this Secondary is going to get torched all season...poor drafting and penny pinching has come around to bit Tomlin and Co. in the ass
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Tom Brady is only the second QB ever to complete 75% of his passes and throw 4 TDs against the Steelers. Dan Marino in 1987 is the other.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:42 pm

@BKAnthem wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

This is very Telling...

I have a feeling this Secondary is going to get torched all season...poor drafting and penny pinching has come around to bit Tomlin and Co. in the ass

Me too.
Building chemistry will surely help, but I don't think the lack of chemistry is the problem.
It's the talent level.
Teams prepping for the Steelers will be throwing the ball.

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:16 pm

If it makes anyone feel better Brice McCain had an amazing clutch interception in the red zone today for Miami

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:18 pm

@tony hipchest wrote:
If it makes anyone feel better Brice McCain had an amazing clutch interception in the red zone today for Miami

who needs McCain when we have such an overabundance of talented CBs on our roster?
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:08 am

@tony hipchest wrote:

Wrong cb got signed
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:11 am

I don't feel better, for some reason...

Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm still baffled as to why some people on this board looked at this secondary and Colbert's moves and were satisfied with them?
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:08 pm

I would rather have Ike Taylor cover Gronkowski than nobody.

. .
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:34 pm

@tony hipchest wrote:

Ike Taylor was stunting "nobodys" development. He had to go so that nobody could see more time.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Steelers analysis: Unlike last year, secondary has hope of improving

By Mark Kaboly
Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015

Patriots* tight end Rob Gronkowski makes a catch in front of Steelers safety Will Allen on Thursday, Sept. 10, 2015, at Gillette Stadium.

The Steelers are 0-1, but who didn't figure that was going to be the case after a trip to New England?

Not many, that's for sure, and we know why:

A big stage. Tom Brady. Us-against-the-world mentality. Unveiling the Super Bowl banner. Tom Brady. Suspended Le'Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant. Tom Brady. A new-look defense. Tom Brady. Gillette Stadium. And Tom Brady. All pointed more toward the embarrassed Steelers leaving Foxborough with their tails between their legs rather than a competitive 28-21 loss.

In reality, it was both.

There were many positives that came out of Thursday's loss that should make the Steelers feel good moving forward — especially heading into Sunday's home opener against the San Francisco 49ers at Heinz Field:

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9069025-74/secondary-steelers-brady#ixzz3llON4wQa
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:18 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@tony hipchest wrote:

Ike Taylor was stunting "nobodys" development.  He had to go so that nobody could see more time.

That's got to be the best one I've heard yet...

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:02 pm

The #Steelers have allowed 34 pass TDs since the start of last season, better than only the Bears and Buccaneers. But Boykin rides the pine

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:31 am

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Mark Kaboly
Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015

Patriots** tight end Rob Gronkowski makes a catch in front of Steelers safety Will Allen on Thursday, Sept. 10, 2015, at Gillette Stadium.

The Steelers are 0-1, but who didn't figure that was going to be the case after a trip to New England?

A big stage. Tom Brady. Us-against-the-world mentality. Unveiling the Super Bowl banner. Tom Brady. Suspended Le'Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant. Tom Brady. A new-look defense. Tom Brady. Gillette Stadium. And Tom Brady. All pointed more toward the embarrassed Steelers leaving Foxborough with their tails between their legs rather than a competitive 28-21 loss.

In reality, it was both.

There were many positives that came out of Thursday's loss that should make the Steelers feel good moving forward — especially heading into Sunday's home opener against the San Francisco 49ers at Heinz Field:

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9069025-74/secondary-steelers-brady#ixzz3llON4wQa

Wow..talk about your rose colored glasses
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:04 am

@BKAnthem wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Mark Kaboly
Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015

Patriots*** tight end Rob Gronkowski makes a catch in front of Steelers safety Will Allen on Thursday, Sept. 10, 2015, at Gillette Stadium.

In reality, it was both.

to read rest of article:

Wow..talk about your rose colored glasses

i guess i'm wearing them too.....i agree with the article

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   

Back to top Go down

Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: