HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:36 pm

vasteeler wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Steelers analysis: Unlike last year, secondary has hope of improving

By Mark Kaboly
Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015

Patriots**** tight end Rob Gronkowski makes a catch in front of Steelers safety Will Allen on Thursday, Sept. 10, 2015, at Gillette Stadium.

The Steelers are 0-1, but who didn't figure that was going to be the case after a trip to New England?

Not many, that's for sure, and we know why:

A big stage. Tom Brady. Us-against-the-world mentality. Unveiling the Super Bowl banner. Tom Brady. Suspended Le'Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant. Tom Brady. A new-look defense. Tom Brady. Gillette Stadium. And Tom Brady. All pointed more toward the embarrassed Steelers leaving Foxborough with their tails between their legs rather than a competitive 28-21 loss.

In reality, it was both.

There were many positives that came out of Thursday's loss that should make the Steelers feel good moving forward — especially heading into Sunday's home opener against the San Francisco 49ers at Heinz Field:

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9069025-74/secondary-steelers-brady#ixzz3llON4wQa

Wow..talk about your rose colored glasses

i guess i'm wearing them too.....i agree with the article

Seconded. It was a good article that made very good points.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:18 pm

My rose colored glasses don't seem to work that well when I examine our secondary.

But, they're working well when I look at everything else.
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:29 pm

The bigger issue is the lack of pressure the defense has gotten the last 3 seasons. I was not a big fan of promoting Butler but its early and I am doing my best to be optimistic.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:30 pm

Watching aqib talib and Marcus Peters play...

. .
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:07 am

Peters is going to be a stud. He had top 5-10 talent but scared teams off by his immaturity issues.

K.C. has a lot of nice pieces on defense to build around. Houston, Poe, Berry(glad he's back) & now Peters.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:09 pm

If anyone wants another reason why Boykins isn't playing, blame it on the good play of Ross Cockrell.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Snapshot: Ross Cockrell

JIM WEXELL

PITTSBURGH -- He's the son of two Ivy Leaguers and he himself went to Duke.

Yep, Ross Cockrell's a pretty smart guy.

But smarts have only taken him so far. In his brief career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cockrell has also made plays.

"Flavor of the month," Mike Tomlin called him the other day.

And why not?

Cockrell is young, bright, good-looking, smart, he's making plays and he's a fresh face in the locker room.

The son of two Columbia University graduates, both engineers, Cockrell was born in Detroit and raised in Charlotte as a Miami Dolphins fan because his father, a wide receiver at Columbia in the early 1980s, was a fan of Dan Marino.

Cockrell played high school ball in Charlotte and caught 29 passes for 459 yards and 11 touchdowns and led the Charlotte Latin Hawks to the state championship game as a senior. But he received only one scholarship offer, so he took it and went to Duke.

"I thought I had a pretty good high school career," Cockrell said of the sparse interest. "I went to a smaller school, and I was a small kid. I was really small. I was about this height but I was just really skinny, just nothing but skin and bones."

The skinny six-footer stepped into the Duke lineup as a redshirt freshman, and his big game that year -- and the one that ties Cockrell's emergence with the Steelers to Monday night's game in San Diego -- occurred during the biggest game of Dontrelle Inman's college career.

Who? "Dontrelle Inman? Oh, the guy from UVA?" Cockrell said.

Yep. Inman made a career-high 10 receptions for 239 yards and a touchdown in that 2010 game for Virginia. But Cockrell intercepted two passes and Duke won, 55-48.

Cockrell will likely renew acquaintances Monday night with Inman, who now plays for the San Diego Chargers.

"Yeah. he's number 15. Yeah, I know who he is," Cockrell said. "I didn't realize he was the one who killed us back then. I do remember somebody having a monster game."

That was the last Cockrell saw of Inman, who spent 2011 on the Jacksonville practice squad, then two years in the CFL, and then last season with the Chargers. He caught 12 passes for 158 yards last season, but didn't make a big, meaningful play until last week against the Cleveland Browns.

Inman -- playing opposite Keenan Allen with Malcom Floyd (concussion), Stevie Johnson (hamstring) and Jacoby Jones (ankle) injured -- took a short pass 68 yards to the Cleveland 1 to set up a touchdown in a tight game the Chargers eventually won.

"I assume they're all going to be out there," Cockrell said of the other injured receivers. "You have to."

And assume that Cockrell will be the No. 3 cornerback again after leaping over Brandon Boykin on the depth chart soon after the Steelers claimed Cockrell off the waiver wire just before the start of the season.

It wasn't so much that Cockrell beat Boykin for the job; it's more that Boykin is a slot corner and the Steelers prefer William Gay in the slot.

When a third wide receiver enters the game, the Steelers send in Cockrell to play opposite Antwon Blake as Gay moves inside. Boykin remains the odd man out.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1596650-snapshot-ross-cockrell

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:02 am

I hope Boykin does not get too discouraged and keeps a positive attitude, but Gay has been playing well for us lately. 5 years ago or so Gay felt like a huge liability, but lately he's been playing lights out, breaking to the ball quickly and making solid tackles. He's definitely matured and improved from what he was back in 2007-2011.

Cockrell strikes me as a winner. For YEARS the DB's on our team have missed opportunities for interceptions, and many of our interceptions came from the linebacker position. Seeing Cockrell mentally understand where Flacco was going and make the athletic break on that ball was a thing of god damn beauty.

For a decade our premiere DB had laughable hands. Ike Taylor couldn't catch a ball if it stuck in his face mask.

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:23 pm

New-look Steelers secondary is gaining some cohesion

By Mark Kaboly
Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2015

The Steelers secondary doesn't look like they originally envisioned:

Player Pos. GP GS Snaps PD Int

Will Allen S 4 4 275 2 1

William Gay CB 4 4 275 1 0

Mike Mitchell S 4 4 266 2 0

Antwon Blake CB 4 4 262 3 0

Ross Cockrell CB 3 0 132 1 1

Shamarko Thomas S 4 0 4 0 0

Cortez Allen CB 1 0 32 0 0

Brandon Boykin CB 4 0 13 1 0

Senquez Golson CB 0 0 0 0 0

The Steelers figured to have their secondary woes settled long before the season started — or at least have a good grasp on it.

Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu out; Shamarko Thomas and a hopefully mended Cortez Allen in; and Antwon Blake in the nickel. Pass on a couple of journeyman corners in free agency and draft a pair — one in the second round and one in the fourth — and the problems that haunted them a year ago might not be solved, but the secondary would be improved.

The secondary has been much better than last year heading into Monday's game against the San Diego Chargers, but it hasn't gone quite as planned.

The Steelers took the roundabout way to being 13th in the league against the pass, giving up 20 fewer yards per game and allowing fewer long passes. And that's fine with them.

“To be honest, I don't know who the projected starters or any of that stuff was before the season,” safety Will Allen said. “You probably know more than me.”

Allen paused, then added: “There were a lot of doubts at the beginning of the year.”

Doubts that coach Mike Tomlin inevitably had as well.

After going through the preseason without any of the “projected” starters playing together, the unit finally got healthy in the week leading up to the opener against the Patriots*, just for Tomlin to shake things up.

Out of the starting lineup went Thomas and Cortez Allen. In came Will Allen and Blake.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9227849-74/allen-cockrell-steelers#ixzz3o61qxMAn

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:34 pm

New Steelers cornerback Cockrell a quick study

October 11, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers cornerback Ross Cockrell is a graduate of Duke University and has aspirations to attend law school once his professional football career ends. His teammates might have surmised he was smart by looking at his college resume, but they found out just how bright he is when he made a seamless transition to a defense that has been known to confuse its own players as much as opposing quarterbacks.

Cockrell, who signed with the Steelers on Sept. 5 after getting cut by the Buffalo Bills, has ascended to a major role in the Steelers defense in quick order, a nod to his ability to digest the intricacies of a thick playbook.

“The number one thing is he is extremely smart,” free safety Mike Mitchell said. “It shows up. His Duke education has definitely paid off for him. To come in and pick up our defense is very difficult, especially the way we match up some of our fire zone things. For him to pick that up the way he has is really impressive.

“There is a learning curve for anybody. In the secondary, the way we match things up in our zones is unlike anywhere else, at all levels of football wherever I have played. There is nothing like the way we do it here. For him to come in and play at a high level like he has, it’s huge.”

The Steelers traded a fifth-round draft choice for Brandon Boykin at the beginning of training camp to address some depth issues at cornerback, but Cockrell has passed Boykin on the depth chart and appears to have a firm grasp on the job as nickel corner.

Cockrell, who played in nine games with the Bills last season as a rookie, recorded the first interception of his career Oct. 1 against the Ravens and also got his first fumble recovery.

On the interception, Cockrell made the correct read, jumped the route and returned it 37 yards to the Baltimore 36. On the fumble recovery, he had the wherewithal to catch the ball in the air before it went out of bounds and kept his feet in bounds by tapping his feet like a receiver making a catch along the sidelines.

New defensive coordinator Keith Butler did not know much about Cockrell before he arrived, but Cockrell quickly made an impression.

“The thing I saw when he got here, the thing I was most impressed with was that he would always jump up every time we’d play one-on-one with the receivers he’d always jump up and take No. 84,” Butler said, referring to Antonio Brown. “So that showed me the kid had confidence. That’s a big thing. When you’re trying to play corner you have to have a short memory and you have to have a lot of confidence. He did pretty well against A.B. in practice and started refining his technique and got better and better every day.”

If Cockrell continues to excel he will be quite a find for a front office and coaching staff that has had its share of difficulty drafting and developing cornerbacks in recent years. The past five cornerbacks they have drafted failed to make the 53-man roster, including their two selections this spring.

The Steelers have had better luck with other team’s castoffs. Of the team’s top three cornerbacks, two were signed by the Steelers when they were cut by other teams. Antwon Blake was added to the Steelers’ 53-man roster in early 2013 after the Jacksonville Jaguars released him. He played special teams in 2013, ascended to nickel back last season and starter this season.

The only starter in the Steelers’ secondary to be drafted by the team is William Gay, who is in his second stint with the Steelers after the Arizona Cardinals released him following the 2012 season.

Since 2012, the Steelers have drafted and subsequently released seventh-round cornerback Terrence Frederick, fifth-rounders Terry Hawthorne and Shaquille Richardson and fourth-rounder Doran Grant. Senquez Golson, the team’s second-round pick this year, is on injured reserve with a shoulder injury.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/11/New-Steelers-cornerback-Cockrell-a-quick-study/stories/201510110090

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:47 pm

yes, I know hindsight is 20/20 but:

Quinten Rollins for the Packers made 2 interceptions today, returning one for a TD.

we could've taken him in the 2nd round but we decided to select the midget Golson instead... :bang:

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
yes, I know hindsight is 20/20 but:

Quinten Rollins for the Packers made 2 interceptions today, returning one for a TD.

we could've taken him in the 2nd round but we decided to select the midget Golson instead... :bang:

I only saw the pick 6 that Rollins had that was thrown right to him. Golson would have taken that back too if he was standing there. In fact, Terry Hawthorne, Joe Burnett or LeVar Glover would have scored on that one.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:38 pm

Delvin breaux has been getting alot of playing time and had a nice int for the saints today... Bro.

. .
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:29 am

tony hipchest wrote:
Delvin breaux has been getting alot of playing time and had a nice int for the saints today... Bro.

Yeah, but he was going home to N.O. as soon as they offered him a deal. Steelers didn't have a chance.

Honestly, I like our CB's. I think Boykin and Cockrell are good pickups to add depth, but we have no safety play.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Blake: 'It felt amazing'

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

In this case, a picture does paint 1,000 words.

Antwon Blake glanced at the wall outside of the Steelers’ locker room and the smile came quick. It wasn’t the first time in the last 24 hours he has given the wall, a wall adorned with pictures of the highlights of Monday night’s win over the Chargers, a second look.

He quickly glanced again, as it was hard not to notice the 36 x 30 print of him in celebratory mode as he crossed the goal line following a 70-yard interception return for a touchdown, the first of his NFL career.

“Every week I hope my picture is on the wall because it means I did something key in the game,” said Blake. “As far as celebrating it, I know as a defense, as a team in general, we try to have fun out there. I learned a long time ago when you have fun on the field good things tend to happen.”

With the Steelers down 7-3 late in the third quarter Blake picked off Chargers’ quarterback Philip Rivers and headed straight for the end zone. It was a long jaunt, but he wasn’t going to be denied.

“In those types of situations, especially running 70 yards, you have to be aware of the pursuit that is behind you,” said Blake. “Those guys are not going to give up. You definitely have to be aware that somebody is coming to get you.”

And the celebration afterwards, one that included a few nice moves, you couldn’t blame him.

“It felt amazing,” said Blake. “Just being able to make a play for my team, especially when we needed it at a critical moment like that. It was a blessing for sure.

“As a defensive back we pray for those types of plays every week. To finally get one, especially my first one in the NFL, it was a surreal feeling.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Blake-It-felt-amazing/bd2959ba-cac5-4c33-8e52-01605c932375

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:48 pm

Nice for Blake to get the pick, but tuck that football away son!! Somebody is gonna point that out on film. I'm still puzzled that we don't see more of Boykin in nickel or dime.

I wanted Cockrell instead of Dri Archer in the 3rd round last year, so at least that is working out.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:24 pm

Steelers Film Room: The costly mistakes of CB Antwon Blake

By Jeff.Hartman and Christopher Carter on Oct 29, 2015

Here at the BTSC Film Room, we hate to single out individual players for an entire set of plays, but we felt compelled to in regards to Antwon Blake's performance against the Chiefs Sunday in Arrowhead Stadium.

Life in the NFL is like a roller coaster. You are up one week, and down the next. It comes with the territory, but as much as we at BTSC try to avoid singling out a specific player throughout any of our Film Room articles, the play of Pittsburgh Steelers CB Antwon Blake has become difficult to avoid.

Yes, Blake made a game-changing interception returned for a touchdown against the San Diego Chargers on Monday Night Football in Week 5, but there are some growing trends developing with one of Mike Tomlin's favorite players.

In today's film room, we analyze some of Blake's short comings, which has nothing to do with his height, and what might be done to help at least mask some of these issues in the future to prevent them from completely altering the outcome of games.

First Play:

When Tomlin speaks of Blake he often talks about Blake's physicality and his presence in the back end. Blake does like to lay the wood on more than one occasion, but even his tackling has become suspect in recent weeks. This could be due to his injured thumb, and having to wear a small cast, but if such an injury is going to hinder a player to the point of his performance hurting the team, then that falls on the coaching staff for putting him on the field.

On this play there isn't much analysis needed, but has become a trend not just with Blake, but the entire Steelers' secondary. Blake approaches the ball carrier with his head down. He does approach the wide receiver's outside shoulder to force him back into help, which is approaching in the form of Jarvis Jones, but not only does Blake whiff on the tackle, but his help does too. Not to be left out, Lawrence Timmons is also there to make the tackle after Jones' miscue, and he makes it a hat trick of missed tackles on one play.

This play should have been stopped for a short gain, but due to poor tackling, starting with Blake, the play went for a first down and continued a Kansas City Chiefs drive.

to read rest of article and see the videos of plays mentioned:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...b-antwon-blake

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:53 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Antwon Blake wrote:
“In those types of situations, especially running 70 yards, you have to be aware of the pursuit that is behind you,” said Blake. “Those guys are not going to give up. You definitely have to be aware that somebody is coming to get you.”

I personally thought he was completely aware of the situation, and the pursuit coming from behind, so I don't care how he holds the ball.

Singling out Blake for either of these last 2 losses is absurd.......was he responsible for all the yards Kelce racked up in the KC game?

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:16 am

BTSC 2016 NFL Mock Draft: Midseason Edition

By big_jay71 on Nov 6, 2015

Pittsburgh Steelers: Tre'Davious White CB, LSU

Team needs: CB/SS/LT/LG

2016 free agents:Kelvin Beachum, Ramon Foster, Steve McLendon, Willie Gay, Antwon Blake, Mike Adams, Sean Spence, Brandon Boykin, Will Allen

Will the Steelers ever invest a first round pick in the secondary? That's the question that seemingly every Steelers fan utters aloud before every NFL draft over the last several seasons. With Dick LeBeau no longer running the defense, will we see Keith Butler but the trend of waiting until the middle rounds to try and improve our secondary?

The Steelers have more needs than just in the secondary heading into the 2016 draft. With Kelvin Beachum and Ramon Foster headed for free agency, Pittsburgh could see complete turnover on the left side of the offensive line. Throw in top backup Mike Adams into the free agent pool and it could become absolutely necessary for the Steelers to invest yet another early round pick on an offensive lineman. They were unable to come to terms on a new contract with Beachum before the season started, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers attempt to lowball him given that he'll be coming back from an ACL injury. If he leaves in free agency that would leave us with the large, and largely unproven, Alejandro Villanueva as Big Ben's blindside protector. At LG it wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers come to terms with Foster on a manageable short-term deal.

Back to the secondary though, with Willie Gay, Antwon Blake, Will Allen, and offseason trade regret Brandon Boykin all headed for free agency the Steelers should be shopping in the DB aisle of the NFL draft as well, despite spending 2015 second and fourth round picks on Senquez Golson and Doran Grant. Golson has been on IR with a shoulder injury since training camp and Grant was relegated to the practice squad until very recently. Even if Gay is re-signed and Golson comes back from injury and proves worthy of his second round status, the Steelers could still use another dependable CB on the roster.

At safety Will Allen is a year-to-year reliable rental and 2013 fourth round pick Shamarko Thomas has proven himself unable to take hold of a starting position.

So who will the Steelers be looking at in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft? It sounds like it will largely be offensive linemen, cornerbacks, and safeties. As much as they like to spend early picks on the front seven of the defense the Steelers already have first round picks invested in all four of the linebacker positions as well as on Cameron Heyward at DE, and a second round pick was spent on Stephon Tuitt. At NT the Steelers have project Daniel McCullers in case they do not re-sign Steve McLendon.

This draft class is solid in terms of overall depth on the offensive line but is lacking in star power outside of Laremy Tunsil and Ronnie Stanley. Given the Ohio State connection that the Steelers have had in the past, Taylor Decker could be a possible target but he's too much like Mike Adams for anyone's taste. It's likely that even if the Steelers do not re-sign Kelvin Beachum that they will wait until later to spend a draft pick at the position.

At safety there are a lot of intriguing options, I've seen Clemson's Jayron Kearse in the first round of a few mock drafts. He's the nephew of former Tennessee pass-rusher Javon Kearse, and his combination of size and speed will make any draft fan drool. Jeremy Cash is probably the most complete safety in the draft class, will solid overall skills, but even he would be a slight reach here.

This may finally be the year where need and value meet in the middle for the Steelers and they actually spend a first round pick at CB.

LSU has become the de facto DB factory for the NFL, and Tre White is simply the next in line. While not as tall, 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, as his predecessors such as Patrick Peterson, Eric Reid, and Jalen Collins, White is every bit as savoy in providing blanket coverage against opposing WR's, although he does have trouble with tall WR's. He's a very smooth athlete with the ability to flip his hips and go stride for stride with any WR. In addition to his pass-coverage skills, White is also a solid punt return man who has already taken one back for a TD this season. The one area that will make any fan groan is his tackling. He tackles with very sloppy technique that will have to be worked on in the NFL.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2015/11/6/9582206/2016-nfl-mock-draft

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:16 am

You're telling me we don't have a better option as a first round draft pick then a cover corner who can't cover tall receivers or properly tackle?

I'm sorry but if you can't learn how to tackle properly by the time you're a college standout, it's probably going to be a weak point of yours for your career.

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:40 pm

The title of this thread is burning brightly tonight.
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:39 pm

I think this is an appropriate Bump
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:15 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
I think this is an appropriate Bump

YEEEEEAH! That's what I'm talkin' about!

-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:33 am

You know the biggest thing I've noticed about this secondary this year is that despite our defense putting up a better pass rush, the secondary still manages to get burned routinely, even on plays where the d-line and our backers get pressure. That's a big red flag. Last year, I think we could blame a lot of our secondary issues on a very mediocre pass rush, but this season they don't have that excuse. We've been stout against the run for the majority of the season, and our guys do get pressure, hits, and sacks on opposing quarterbacks. That should make the secondary's lives easier, but they still can't cover. Giving up big plays all over the field, imploding on 3rd Downs, and giving up TDs with little to no contention. I for one have had enough of it. They've done a poor job drafting secondary players for quite awhile now, and they hold on to guys that aren't getting the job done for too long. It's high time they get their act together and either bring in a free agent that can make an impact, or find a draftable player earlier on in the draft that can come in and make a difference. Even Golson, who was drafted in the 2nd Round, doesn't exactly blow me away on paper, and then he gets hurt for the entirety of his first season... Undersized, and durability issues don't generally go well together.

I just hope that a miracle happens and this secondary pulls it together because if we had better secondary play this team can contend with anyone. Our offense is amazing and they're holding up their end, but the defensive secondary is not.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?   

Back to top Go down

Why Does Mr Colbert Seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a Secondary?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: