HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

I Like The New PAT Rule!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FanSince72

PostSubject: I Like The New PAT Rule!   Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:07 pm

After watching various games on Sunday, I have decided that the new PAT rule is just what the doctor ordered.

What used to be a boring formality has now become something that isn't guaranteed and it won't be long before a game is decided by a missed PAT.

Every now and then the NFL gets it right.

PostSubject: Re: I Like The New PAT Rule!   Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:20 pm

I think they shouldve went with Mike Tomlins proposal and moved the 2 pt conversion from the 2 yd line to the 1, for these reasons-

Quote :
On our training camp trip, The MMQB asked head coaches if they planned to treat the PAT any differently this year with the line of scrimmage moved from the 2 to the 15-yard line—and with defenses now being able to score either one or two points on a failed conversion try returned to the far end zone. We got no sense that there would be a mass change from the one- to two-point tries, and only a few echoed what Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy told me: In some games, depending on the defensive matchup, he could see the Packers going for two after every touchdown.

But most coaches were like Kelly. “The percentage in kicking from the 2 versus kicking from the 15, I think, goes from about 99.6 percent to 95.5 percent,” said Kelly, referring to the percentage of extra-point success in 2014, versus the percentage of field goals made from the low 30-yard-yard area. “The league wanted to encourage coaches to think about going for two, and I said you needed to change where you went from two from. [Kelly proposed moving the two-point line of scrimmage from the 2 to the 1-yard line.] I said, ‘It’s been on the 2-yard line and people haven’t gone for two, so why moving it back and changing four percentage points do you think that’s going to make a coach go for two?’ I don’t see the system really moving people much to go for two.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/13/nfl-week-1-marcus-mariota-tennessee-titans

. .
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: I Like The New PAT Rule!   Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:51 pm

It did make that last moment of the Giants-Cowboys game really exciting since in the past, it would have been a formality. It was an interesting idea to be sure.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: I Like The New PAT Rule!   Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:57 pm

I don't like it. It's just weird. right now its 14-12 denver over detroit, something about that just pisses me off.

PostSubject: Re: I Like The New PAT Rule!   Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:49 am

@tony hipchest wrote:
I think they shouldve went with Mike Tomlins proposal and moved the 2 pt conversion from the 2 yd line to the 1, for these reasons-

Quote :
On our training camp trip, The MMQB asked head coaches if they planned to treat the PAT any differently this year with the line of scrimmage moved from the 2 to the 15-yard line—and with defenses now being able to score either one or two points on a failed conversion try returned to the far end zone. We got no sense that there would be a mass change from the one- to two-point tries, and only a few echoed what Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy told me: In some games, depending on the defensive matchup, he could see the Packers going for two after every touchdown.

But most coaches were like Kelly. “The percentage in kicking from the 2 versus kicking from the 15, I think, goes from about 99.6 percent to 95.5 percent,” said Kelly, referring to the percentage of extra-point success in 2014, versus the percentage of field goals made from the low 30-yard-yard area. “The league wanted to encourage coaches to think about going for two, and I said you needed to change where you went from two from. [Kelly proposed moving the two-point line of scrimmage from the 2 to the 1-yard line.] I said, ‘It’s been on the 2-yard line and people haven’t gone for two, so why moving it back and changing four percentage points do you think that’s going to make a coach go for two?’ I don’t see the system really moving people much to go for two.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/13/nfl-week-1-marcus-mariota-tennessee-titans

You're confused, Tony. I believe Tomlin was the one who proposed moving the sidelines in 1 yard on punt/ kick returns.

-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: I Like The New PAT Rule!   Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:47 am

I like the new rule no more gimme's, but every year I see the NFL slipping down the tubes. Its just not what it used to be. I guess I'm turning into an old fuddy duddy, I want nothing but 1 o'clock games. Watch the pregame, 3 hrs of ball, an hour of post game and that's it for the week.
I hate watching shit being destroyed right before my eyes.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: I Like The New PAT Rule!   Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:47 pm

I don't mind the scheduling because living in NY it gives me more chances to see the steelers play, since they are often featured on Monday Sunday and Thursday night games

PostSubject: Re: I Like The New PAT Rule!   

Back to top Go down

I Like The New PAT Rule!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: