HomeHeat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Home10FAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share
 

 Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Posts : 2445
Likes : 1135
Join date : 2015-04-19

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 1:37 pm

Starkey: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies

By Joe Starkey
Monday, Nov. 9, 2015

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Jpeg

In your opinion, perhaps, he celebrates too much. Sometimes inappropriately. Sometimes when the ball's on the ground.

Is that all you got on Mike Mitchell?

'Cause this is what I got: The man might be playing as violently and effectively as any safety in the NFL.

You know who I thought of Sunday as I watched this maniac, this heat-seeking Mitchell, blow up Oakland Raiders like they were clay pigeons? Jack Tatum. “The Assassin” from the 1970s Raiders.

Mitchell is beginning to fit nicely into the grand tradition of wild-man Steelers, too, from Jack Lambert to Greg Lloyd to Hines Ward and Ryan Clark. I mean that in terms of having blatant disregard for all bodies on the football field — including one's own.

How do you not love this guy? He runs out for introductions wearing a Terrible Towel over his face, outlaw style, and proceeds to smash people to bits and infuriate everyone in the building. On both sides.

Last year, Mike Tomlin called Mitchell's stuntman launch into the New York Jets' victory formation “unprofessional.” This year, Ramon Foster took exception to Mitchell celebrating a vicious but legal shot on Bengals receiver Marvin Jones.

Opposing teams seem to hate Mitchell's guts.

Ravens receiver Steve Smith promised to put Mitchell on his “lifetime hit list” after Mitchell put Smith on his “Greatest Hits” list and allegedly added, “How do you like that?” Jones called Mitchell “fake tough” to which Mitchell replied, “I wished I would have (hit him) low.”

Bengals receiver A.J. Green mocked Mitchell, saying “Some guys need to talk” as he described Mitchell getting in his face after the Jones hit and exclaiming, “You're next!”

To all of which I say, “beautiful.” What's the problem? Lloyd used to wear a T-shirt that read, “I Wasn't Hired For My Disposition.” Neither was Maniacal Mike.

It's easy to say Mitchell should tone it down. The question is, what do you lose if he does?

Strong safety Will Allen laughed when I mentioned Mitchell is a “lightning rod.”

“Well, man, he comes in and punishes people, and people don't like when they get punished. Especially offensive guys,” Allen said. “He's making an impact.”

Mitchell is tied for the team lead in interceptions (two), forced fumbles (two) and fumble recoveries (one) and is third in tackles (43).

to0 read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9395323-74/mitchell-hit-fumble#ixzz3rD25IVG0
Back to top Go down
MostHateD
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 28
Likes : 7
Join date : 2015-04-22

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 1:55 pm

I fucking love Mike Mitchell, thought he played great against the Raiders.
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

Posts : 560
Likes : 221
Join date : 2015-04-10
Location : Sunny Southern Cal.

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 1:57 pm

Great article! Our defense needed that "one guy" that we always seem to have! He brings excitement, intensity and passion that definitely rubs off on other players!

_________________
Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies $_35Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 12366219_460520250799399_6507014700224562339_n
Back to top Go down
MostHateD
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 28
Likes : 7
Join date : 2015-04-22

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 1:59 pm

If he keeps playing as he does may have to get his jersey.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

Posts : 4063
Likes : 651
Join date : 2011-04-06
Location : richmond va

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 2:36 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Starkey: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies

By Joe Starkey
Monday, Nov. 9, 2015

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Jpeg

In your opinion, perhaps, he celebrates too much. Sometimes inappropriately. Sometimes when the ball's on the ground.

Is that all you got on Mike Mitchell?



to0 read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9395323-74/mitchell-hit-fumble#ixzz3rD25IVG0

yup.....that is my only issue with him. love his play but hate his personality. it was the same way with joey porter for me, loved his motor hated his mouth.


_________________
Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Vasign10

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

Posts : 560
Likes : 221
Join date : 2015-04-10
Location : Sunny Southern Cal.

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 2:42 pm

I love the mouth! Players talk all the time and it's good to have that hard hitting player get under opposing players skin. They do think twice when anywhere near his region!

_________________
Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies $_35Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 12366219_460520250799399_6507014700224562339_n
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

Posts : 2019
Likes : 497
Join date : 2015-04-17
Location : Syracuse, NY

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 3:01 pm

I don't mind the cockiness as long as it doesn't lead to penalties or locker room issues.

_________________
Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 29c3yg5
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

Posts : 560
Likes : 221
Join date : 2015-04-10
Location : Sunny Southern Cal.

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 3:18 pm

There is a difference between confidence and cockiness! Yea as long as he doesn't taunt and draw a flag. The rest is great locker room stuff.

_________________
Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies $_35Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 12366219_460520250799399_6507014700224562339_n
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 3:30 pm

@vasteeler wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Starkey: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies

By Joe Starkey
Monday, Nov. 9, 2015

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Jpeg

In your opinion, perhaps, he celebrates too much. Sometimes inappropriately. Sometimes when the ball's on the ground.

Is that all you got on Mike Mitchell?



to0 read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9395323-74/mitchell-hit-fumble#ixzz3rD25IVG0

yup.....that is my only issue with him. love his play but hate his personality. it was the same way with joey porter for me,  loved his motor hated his mouth.


Yeah, I loved Joey Porter talking trash, because he backed it up and did it when plays were made.

Mitchell tackles a guy after a 20 yard reception and comes up talking to him. Be there to stop the 20 yard reception and you can talk junk, but talking after the other team makes a play against you is just a guy that "needs to talk", like AJ Green said.
Back to top Go down
lotas

lotas

Posts : 193
Likes : 117
Join date : 2015-08-14
Location : Indiana

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 6:56 am

As long as Mitchell continues to produce positively for the team, he can run his mouth.

Where do I draw the line? When Anthony god-damn Smith is taunting Tom f-ing Brady before an upcoming game only to get torched and embarrass the whole team. Well done.

_________________
SF Member Since 2005
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Posts : 3549
Likes : 1229
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 7:42 am

He brings a nasty attitude to the defense, and he gets into opponent's heads. Sounds alright to me!

_________________
Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies PaKS9WC
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
pczach

pczach

Posts : 911
Likes : 697
Join date : 2015-04-28
Location : Stunted Growth PA

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 8:55 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@vasteeler wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Starkey: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies

By Joe Starkey
Monday, Nov. 9, 2015

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Jpeg

In your opinion, perhaps, he celebrates too much. Sometimes inappropriately. Sometimes when the ball's on the ground.

Is that all you got on Mike Mitchell?



to0 read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9395323-74/mitchell-hit-fumble#ixzz3rD25IVG0

yup.....that is my only issue with him. love his play but hate his personality. it was the same way with joey porter for me,  loved his motor hated his mouth.


Yeah, I loved Joey Porter talking trash, because he backed it up and did it when plays were made.  

Mitchell tackles a guy after a 20 yard reception and comes up talking to him.  Be there to stop the 20 yard reception and you can talk junk, but talking after the other team makes a play against you is just a guy that "needs to talk", like AJ Green said.

I don't like everything he does on the field either, but come on Gonzo, you know how this works. Mike Mitchell hits players down the field, even after they make catches because that's his job. He's letting them know that he's going to be exactly in the same spot next time to punish whoever comes his way so maybe they don't catch the ball next time. I don't like all the talking, but don't trash a safety that is hitting people down the field after large gains. That's exactly what he's supposed to be doing. Just because a player makes a catch or a long run doesn't mean it's Mitchell's fault that they made it downfield or that he's responsible for the gain. Someone has to make the defensive play to get him down, and that's what Mitchell does, many times with violent authority.

I think maybe you're dislike of him is clouding your view of his performance on the field.

Joey Porter would run his mouth after he sacked someone, or after an offensive player celebrated after making a play on the defense for a large gain. The only thing different about Joey Porter is that he played closer to the line of scrimmage. He'd get owned by a great LT and still run his mouth all game. He talked smack to everyone and anyone, even after the offense gouged the defense. He'd let them know that he was still coming to get them on the next play and make them pay. It's what "talkers" do.

And by the way, when AJ Green was running his mouth after every play and mocking and taunting the sideline without Mitchell anywhere around, who was talking then? Let's not act like Mitchell is the only guy running his mouth on the field. As I remember it, AJ Green didn't do a whole lot that game either, did he?

Hate Mitchell's mouth. Hate the way he jaws after every play or the way he celebrates hits. But you can't dismiss how his devastating hits are having a positive impact on the effectiveness of the defense.

Unlike Burfict who laughed and celebrated when he knew Bell was seriously injured, Mitchell celebrates the hit itself immediately after it, not the injury. There's a difference. When Mitchell blasted the ball carrier and caused a fumble, he celebrated the hit. He also went to the sideline to see if he was alright after the play. He gets carried away emotionally sometimes, but I don't think he's trying to injure intentionally or wants to see people get hurt.

His coverage skills aren't the best and he's not perfect, but he has been effective. We know Blake's struggles and the play of the corners in general. It's not like Mitchell is giving up all the catches.

You may not like Mitchell. You have said you don't think much of him as a player, and that the safety position is a real problem for this team. But this defense has been much tougher this year, and has also played much better. A large part of that credit has to go to Mitchell. His play has drastically improved from last year, and it appears the injuries he suffered last season really limited his play.

Forcing fumbles, separating the ball from receivers, and intimidating the opponent has been an integral part of football for as long as its been played...and it always will be. He's doing it quite well right now.

You understand this game. You know how this works.

_________________
I'm a shell of my former self.
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

Rhyno

Posts : 104
Likes : 64
Join date : 2015-05-07
Location : Raleigh, NC

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 9:24 am

The dude does owe an apology to Carlos Hyde for the unbelievably cheap shot he laid on his knee earlier in the year. The preening he does after hits is ridiculous, but it is part of the game and he is certainly not the only one who does it. However, he looked like a complete buffoon when he was posturing instead of trying to collect that fumble he caused against the Raiders.

I think he is playing great, though. I'm sure his positives will outweigh his negatives if he continues to play well. I hope so. As a fellow Ohio University alum I would really like to pull for him.
Back to top Go down
The_Joker

The_Joker

Posts : 790
Likes : 265
Join date : 2015-04-18
Location : Redskins Territory

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 9:34 am

Mike Mitchell is the kind of guy who got me on the Steelers train in the first place. I hope it rubs off on the younger guys.

_________________
If you expect to play against the Joker, you'd best be prepared to be dealt from the bottom of the deck!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 9:48 am

Another Pittsburgh sports writer disagrees Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 1797695198

What do you think of Mitchell celebrating his hard tackle after L. Murray completed a 9 yrd run for a first down?

Gerry Dulac: Can't stand it. Unnecessary. Uncalled for. Unprofessional. Embarrassing. Narcissistic. Selfish. Self-aggrandizing. Especially because the ball was still live. Otherwise, I have no problem w it.


http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/11/11/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-11-11-15/stories/201511110207

Mitchell's preening is a matter of personal style - if it for whatever reason is responsible for his improved play this year go for it as long as it does not draw a flag and occurs after the play is over

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 10:17 am

@pczach wrote:
[
I don't like everything he does on the field either, but come on Gonzo, you know how this works. Mike Mitchell hits players down the field, even after they make catches because that's his job. He's letting them know that he's going to be exactly in the same spot next time to punish whoever comes his way so maybe they don't catch the ball next time. I don't like all the talking, but don't trash a safety that is hitting people down the field after large gains. That's exactly what he's supposed to be doing. Just because a player makes a catch or a long run doesn't mean it's Mitchell's fault that they made it downfield or that he's responsible for the gain. Someone has to make the defensive play to get him down, and that's what Mitchell does, many times with violent authority.

I think maybe you're dislike of him is clouding your view of his performance on the field.

Joey Porter would run his mouth after he sacked someone, or after an offensive player celebrated after making a play on the defense for a large gain. The only thing different about Joey Porter is that he played closer to the line of scrimmage. He'd get owned by a great LT and still run his mouth all game. He talked smack to everyone and anyone, even after the offense gouged the defense. He'd let them know that he was still coming to get them on the next play and make them pay. It's what "talkers" do.

And by the way, when AJ Green was running his mouth after every play and mocking and taunting the sideline without Mitchell anywhere around, who was talking then? Let's not act like Mitchell is the only guy running his mouth on the field. As I remember it, AJ Green didn't do a whole lot that game either, did he?

Hate Mitchell's mouth. Hate the way he jaws after every play or the way he celebrates hits. But you can't dismiss how his devastating hits are having a positive impact on the effectiveness of the defense.

Unlike Burfict who laughed and celebrated when he knew Bell was seriously injured, Mitchell celebrates the hit itself immediately after it, not the injury. There's a difference. When Mitchell blasted the ball carrier and caused a fumble, he celebrated the hit. He also went to the sideline to see if he was alright after the play. He gets carried away emotionally sometimes, but I don't think he's trying to injure intentionally or wants to see people get hurt.

His coverage skills aren't the best and he's not perfect, but he has been effective. We know Blake's struggles and the play of the corners in general. It's not like Mitchell is giving up all the catches.

You may not like Mitchell. You have said you don't think much of him as a player, and that the safety position is a real problem for this team. But this defense has been much tougher this year, and has also played much better. A large part of that credit has to go to Mitchell. His play has drastically improved from last year, and it appears the injuries he suffered last season really limited his play.

Forcing fumbles, separating the ball from receivers, and intimidating the opponent has been an integral part of football for as long as its been played...and it always will be. He's doing it quite well right now.

You understand this game. You know how this works.

Yes, I know how it works. Physicality and intimidation are what Mitchell is doing well right now and I hope he keeps doing it.

I think of guys in the league like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Eric Reid and Mitchell isn't as good as any of those guys, but his antics and talking is twice as often and emphatic as any of those guys. I think what Dulac said "narcissistic", sums it up the best and I personally don't like that narcissism in what I believe is the ultimate team game. Mike Mitchell celebrates arm tackles(not crushing hits) 20 yards downfield like he just won powerball.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

Posts : 911
Likes : 697
Join date : 2015-04-28
Location : Stunted Growth PA

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 10:18 am

@Atlanta Dan wrote:
Another Pittsburgh sports writer disagrees Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 1797695198

What do you think of Mitchell celebrating his hard tackle after L. Murray completed a 9 yrd run for a first down?

Gerry Dulac: Can't stand it. Unnecessary. Uncalled for. Unprofessional. Embarrassing. Narcissistic. Selfish. Self-aggrandizing. Especially because the ball was still live. Otherwise, I have no problem w it.


http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/11/11/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-11-11-15/stories/201511110207

Mitchell's preening is a matter of personal style - if it for whatever reason is responsible for his improved play this year go for it as long as it does not draw a flag and occurs after the play is over



The same people that kill Mitchell for how he acts, celebrate a player like Antonio Brown. You know, the guy that gets up and celebrates after every catch. The guy that talks a lot on the field. The guy that acted like a spoiled prima donna brat without his starting quarterback, and threatened to tear apart this team. We all have our preferences as to who we like and why, but where was Dulac killing AB for acting like an ass for week after week?

What was AB doing to help the team? What was AB doing to hold the team together? What kind of class was he showing? Was he doing things that are uncalled for?.....Being unprofessional?.....Embarrassing?......Narcissistic?....Selfish?.......Self-Aggrandizing? Dulac's words. I say he was all of the above.

So what's the difference between Mitchell and Brown? I'll tell you what the difference was....Mitchell wasn't tearing the team apart.

What? No mention of that Gerry?

Gerry Dulac should read his own words and apply them with the same vigor whenever they apply. Even when that player happens to be someone he likes or is afraid he won't get another interview out of.

This is why many of these writers are full of shit.

_________________
I'm a shell of my former self.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

Posts : 911
Likes : 697
Join date : 2015-04-28
Location : Stunted Growth PA

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 10:21 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@pczach wrote:
[
I don't like everything he does on the field either, but come on Gonzo, you know how this works. Mike Mitchell hits players down the field, even after they make catches because that's his job. He's letting them know that he's going to be exactly in the same spot next time to punish whoever comes his way so maybe they don't catch the ball next time. I don't like all the talking, but don't trash a safety that is hitting people down the field after large gains. That's exactly what he's supposed to be doing. Just because a player makes a catch or a long run doesn't mean it's Mitchell's fault that they made it downfield or that he's responsible for the gain. Someone has to make the defensive play to get him down, and that's what Mitchell does, many times with violent authority.

I think maybe you're dislike of him is clouding your view of his performance on the field.

Joey Porter would run his mouth after he sacked someone, or after an offensive player celebrated after making a play on the defense for a large gain. The only thing different about Joey Porter is that he played closer to the line of scrimmage. He'd get owned by a great LT and still run his mouth all game. He talked smack to everyone and anyone, even after the offense gouged the defense. He'd let them know that he was still coming to get them on the next play and make them pay. It's what "talkers" do.

And by the way, when AJ Green was running his mouth after every play and mocking and taunting the sideline without Mitchell anywhere around, who was talking then? Let's not act like Mitchell is the only guy running his mouth on the field. As I remember it, AJ Green didn't do a whole lot that game either, did he?

Hate Mitchell's mouth. Hate the way he jaws after every play or the way he celebrates hits. But you can't dismiss how his devastating hits are having a positive impact on the effectiveness of the defense.

Unlike Burfict who laughed and celebrated when he knew Bell was seriously injured, Mitchell celebrates the hit itself immediately after it, not the injury. There's a difference. When Mitchell blasted the ball carrier and caused a fumble, he celebrated the hit. He also went to the sideline to see if he was alright after the play. He gets carried away emotionally sometimes, but I don't think he's trying to injure intentionally or wants to see people get hurt.

His coverage skills aren't the best and he's not perfect, but he has been effective. We know Blake's struggles and the play of the corners in general. It's not like Mitchell is giving up all the catches.

You may not like Mitchell. You have said you don't think much of him as a player, and that the safety position is a real problem for this team. But this defense has been much tougher this year, and has also played much better. A large part of that credit has to go to Mitchell. His play has drastically improved from last year, and it appears the injuries he suffered last season really limited his play.

Forcing fumbles, separating the ball from receivers, and intimidating the opponent has been an integral part of football for as long as its been played...and it always will be. He's doing it quite well right now.

You understand this game. You know how this works.

Yes, I know how it works.  Physicality and intimidation are what Mitchell is doing well right now and I hope he keeps doing it.  

I think of guys in the league like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Eric Reid and Mitchell isn't as good as any of those guys, but his antics and talking is twice as often and emphatic as any of those guys.  I think what Dulac said "narcissistic", sums it up the best and I personally don't like that narcissism in what I believe is the ultimate team game.   Mike Mitchell celebrates arm tackles(not crushing hits) 20 yards downfield like he just won powerball.

Believe me, I hear you. I wish he would cut some of his nonsense out too. I don't like a lot of the antics in any way. I despise taunting.

But you can't argue that he is helping this team. I hope he's listening, and maybe the coaches are talking to him about it. If he can get that under control a little, he'll really be on to something.

_________________
I'm a shell of my former self.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

Posts : 2019
Likes : 497
Join date : 2015-04-17
Location : Syracuse, NY

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 12:27 pm

in regards to AB

After trying to reconstruct his contract during the off season makes me think he might end up asking for a ridiculous contract from us when hes up for FA, and something tells me like with Mike Wallace we wont pay it.

The taunting and celebrations are just part of him, its unnecessary. Its a shame that his ego seems to be inflating right along with his fame.

_________________
Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 29c3yg5
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 1:03 pm

@pczach wrote:

Believe me, I hear you. I wish he would cut some of his nonsense out too. I don't like a lot of the antics in any way. I despise taunting.

But you can't argue that he is helping this team. I hope he's listening, and maybe the coaches are talking to him about it. If he can get that under control a little, he'll really be on to something.

Just look at the substance of Mitchell's play and not the antics. As a FS, is he using his speed to support in pass defense on his half of the field, or to slot receivers and TE's?? I personally don't think so. Of the teams we played, I saw Reggie Nelson, Tyrann Matthiew, Charles Woodson, Will Hill, Eric Weddle outperforming Mitchell. I actually think Will Allen does a better job in coverage than Mitchell.

Does Mitchell come up in run support, yes the past few games he has really gotten better. Earlier in the season he looked to be late and that can be expected depending on the depth of his alignment, but also on his ability to read the play.

In the end, I definitely think Mitchell is playing more physical and around the ball than last year. I also don't think he is any better than average in coverage as a FS and don't think he is playing up to the level of other recent Steeler Free Safeties like Ryan Clark, Mike Logan, Chris Hope. Celebrate all he wants, but I think he is average to below average FS, that is worth the $745,000 salary he gets this year, but not the $5million he gets next year.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

Posts : 851
Likes : 438
Join date : 2015-04-12
Location : Living in my fears

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 1:55 pm

How people can see Antonio's behavior as pre-meditated, ego fueled, intent on destroying the locker room atmosphere is well..

The irony is, is that the fanbase is taking a very short moment of AB being frustrated and is creating a whole mess of drama with it. Much much more drama then AB ever displayed, and much much more drama then is most likely actually going on in the locker room. Those games are so far in the past for a team that is always looking ahead. Nobody on the roster, nor the head coach, nor anyone in the organization raised a stink about AB. The only thing that happened was some friendly advice from Heath, and that advice was more than likely because Heath is a vet who is aware of the damage that can come from outside of the locker room, from us and from "reporters." Ian Crapreport didnt even jump on this. That says something about the over-reaction thats happening here.

So I'm gonna sum up my own opinion on the matter in such a way where I say  "here, its on the record."

AB does have a little bit of an ego. But 1. Thats a human thing, dont think for a second you dont do anything for your ego. By making an account and posting here, you made an extension and an expression of your ego. People want to be liked. Don't be that guy that isnt aware of your own sense of self. And 2. That ego stems from him wanting to be the best reciever in the league and lo-and-behold. He is!!!

We love him for being a beast but we hate him for showing a hyper-competitive frame of mind? Showing frustration for being any less than perfect? Not everyone can play like Jerry Rice with the southern gentleman, all-business frame of mind as him.

Predictions:

1.That chip on his shoulder is NOT gonna fall off. You will see some frustration again some time.

2.That frustration won't cause any locker room discord. Because they're all grown men, and because AB on the field and off the field is as polar opposite as I've seen since Troy Polamalu.

3. He will not pull a Mike Wallace. (As if they're even similar enough to compare Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 798776511 ) and will be retained on the team. He actually is that important. There are players that are less important and/or overypayed, making more than he is, on the roster right now.

The AB hate as long as it goes on is gonna irk me. Because ABs work ethic, ambition, and drive took him from once homeless, to a sixth round draft pick, to the best receiver in the league. Thats inspirational, and we should have a better grasp of that beforing boiling him down to a Kardashian because he showed some frustration. I know some people are gonna toss me the word "selfish." To that I'd say if I were a head coach, I'm putting the selfish guy out on the field. The selfish guy is gonna run his routes better and get himself open better so that he gets the ball, because he wants it, because hes selfish. This is a competitive sport not a conveyor belt at a toy factory.
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

Rhyno

Posts : 104
Likes : 64
Join date : 2015-05-07
Location : Raleigh, NC

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 2:36 pm

@KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
How people can see Antonio's behavior as pre-meditated, ego fueled, intent on destroying the locker room atmosphere is well..

The irony is, is that the fanbase is taking a very short moment of AB being frustrated and is creating a whole mess of drama with it. Much much more drama then AB ever displayed, and much much more drama then is most likely actually going on in the locker room. Those games are so far in the past for a team that is always looking ahead. Nobody on the roster, nor the head coach, nor anyone in the organization raised a stink about AB. The only thing that happened was some friendly advice from Heath, and that advice was more than likely because Heath is a vet who is aware of the damage that can come from outside of the locker room, from us and from "reporters." Ian Crapreport didnt even jump on this. That says something about the over-reaction thats happening here.

So I'm gonna sum up my own opinion on the matter in such a way where I say  "here, its on the record."

AB does have a little bit of an ego. But 1. Thats a human thing, dont think for a second you dont do anything for your ego. By making an account and posting here, you made an extension and an expression of your ego. People want to be liked. Don't be that guy that isnt aware of your own sense of self. And 2. That ego stems from him wanting to be the best reciever in the league and lo-and-behold. He is!!!

We love him for being a beast but we hate him for showing a hyper-competitive frame of mind? Showing frustration for being any less than perfect? Not everyone can play like Jerry Rice with the southern gentleman, all-business frame of mind as him.

Predictions:

1.That chip on his shoulder is NOT gonna fall off. You will see some frustration again some time.

2.That frustration won't cause any locker room discord. Because they're all grown men, and because AB on the field and off the field is as polar opposite as I've seen since Troy Polamalu.

3. He will not pull a Mike Wallace. (As if they're even similar enough to compare Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 798776511 ) and will be retained on the team. He actually is that important. There are players that are less important and/or overypayed, making more than he is, on the roster right now.

The AB hate as long as it goes on is gonna irk me. Because ABs work ethic, ambition, and drive took him from once homeless, to a sixth round draft pick, to the best receiver in the league. Thats inspirational, and we should have a better grasp of that beforing boiling him down to a Kardashian because he showed some frustration. I know some people are gonna toss me the word "selfish." To that I'd say if I were a head coach, I'm putting the selfish guy out on the field. The selfish guy is gonna run his routes better and get himself open better so that he gets the ball, because he wants it, because hes selfish. This is a competitive sport not a conveyor belt at a toy factory.

Hear, hear! Fans are being way more dramatic about this than Brown was.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

Posts : 4063
Likes : 651
Join date : 2011-04-06
Location : richmond va

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 2:39 pm

@KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
How people can see Antonio's behavior as pre-meditated, ego fueled, intent on destroying the locker room atmosphere is well..

The irony is, is that the fanbase is taking a very short moment of AB being frustrated and is creating a whole mess of drama with it. Much much more drama then AB ever displayed, and much much more drama then is most likely actually going on in the locker room. Those games are so far in the past for a team that is always looking ahead. Nobody on the roster, nor the head coach, nor anyone in the organization raised a stink about AB. The only thing that happened was some friendly advice from Heath, and that advice was more than likely because Heath is a vet who is aware of the damage that can come from outside of the locker room, from us and from "reporters." Ian Crapreport didnt even jump on this. That says something about the over-reaction thats happening here.

So I'm gonna sum up my own opinion on the matter in such a way where I say  "here, its on the record."

AB does have a little bit of an ego. But 1. Thats a human thing, dont think for a second you dont do anything for your ego. By making an account and posting here, you made an extension and an expression of your ego. People want to be liked. Don't be that guy that isnt aware of your own sense of self. And 2. That ego stems from him wanting to be the best reciever in the league and lo-and-behold. He is!!!

We love him for being a beast but we hate him for showing a hyper-competitive frame of mind? Showing frustration for being any less than perfect? Not everyone can play like Jerry Rice with the southern gentleman, all-business frame of mind as him.

Predictions:

1.That chip on his shoulder is NOT gonna fall off. You will see some frustration again some time.

2.That frustration won't cause any locker room discord. Because they're all grown men, and because AB on the field and off the field is as polar opposite as I've seen since Troy Polamalu.

3. He will not pull a Mike Wallace. (As if they're even similar enough to compare Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 798776511 ) and will be retained on the team. He actually is that important. There are players that are less important and/or overypayed, making more than he is, on the roster right now.

The AB hate as long as it goes on is gonna irk me. Because ABs work ethic, ambition, and drive took him from once homeless, to a sixth round draft pick, to the best receiver in the league. Thats inspirational, and we should have a better grasp of that beforing boiling him down to a Kardashian because he showed some frustration. I know some people are gonna toss me the word "selfish." To that I'd say if I were a head coach, I'm putting the selfish guy out on the field. The selfish guy is gonna run his routes better and get himself open better so that he gets the ball, because he wants it, because hes selfish. This is a competitive sport not a conveyor belt at a toy factory.

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 1647293567

_________________
Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Vasign10

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

Posts : 911
Likes : 697
Join date : 2015-04-28
Location : Stunted Growth PA

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 2:56 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@pczach wrote:

Believe me, I hear you. I wish he would cut some of his nonsense out too. I don't like a lot of the antics in any way. I despise taunting.

But you can't argue that he is helping this team. I hope he's listening, and maybe the coaches are talking to him about it. If he can get that under control a little, he'll really be on to something.

Just look at the substance of Mitchell's play and not the antics.  As a FS, is he using his speed to support in pass defense on his half of the field, or to slot receivers and TE's??  I personally don't think so.  Of the teams we played, I saw Reggie Nelson, Tyrann Matthiew, Charles Woodson, Will Hill, Eric Weddle outperforming Mitchell.  I actually think Will Allen does a better job in coverage than Mitchell.

Does Mitchell come up in run support, yes the past few games he has really gotten better.  Earlier in the season he looked to be late and that can be expected depending on the depth of his alignment, but also on his ability to read the play.

In the end, I definitely think Mitchell is playing more physical and around the ball than last year.  I also don't think he is any better than average in coverage as a FS and don't think he is playing up to the level of other recent Steeler Free Safeties like Ryan Clark, Mike Logan, Chris Hope.   Celebrate all he wants, but I think he is average to below average FS, that is worth the $745,000 salary he gets this year, but not the $5million he gets next year.


I still don't believe Mitchell is a true FS. I think his best fit is at SS. All his physical attributes and strengths involve physical play and hard hitting. He is not a prototypical FS. You are correct when it comes to him in coverage. He is not a great cover safety, and is not a quick reacting FS with great instincts. That's not him.

My contention was that the Steelers should use him in more of a SS role once Polamalu retired. That is where I believe he is best suited to play. I know the safeties are interchangeable in this defense, but I've always believed he would be a better fit playing closer to the line of scrimmage while also roaming in coverage and using his hitting to keep offenses guessing a bit more, and worrying about where he's going to be on the field.

He's nowhere near the player Troy was, I know that. I still think he has some skills that can be better used if the team can find a great safety on the back end. A ballhawking FS with ball skills and that has great instincts and coverage abilities.

My guess is that the team is playing him where he can help the team most right now, but that it isn't necessarily the role they envision him playing when they get the right personnel.

What do you think Gonzo? Do you think any of this makes sense?

_________________
I'm a shell of my former self.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 2:59 pm

@Rhyno wrote:
@KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
How people can see Antonio's behavior as pre-meditated, ego fueled, intent on destroying the locker room atmosphere is well..

The irony is, is that the fanbase is taking a very short moment of AB being frustrated and is creating a whole mess of drama with it. Much much more drama then AB ever displayed, and much much more drama then is most likely actually going on in the locker room. Those games are so far in the past for a team that is always looking ahead. Nobody on the roster, nor the head coach, nor anyone in the organization raised a stink about AB. The only thing that happened was some friendly advice from Heath, and that advice was more than likely because Heath is a vet who is aware of the damage that can come from outside of the locker room, from us and from "reporters." Ian Crapreport didnt even jump on this. That says something about the over-reaction thats happening here.

So I'm gonna sum up my own opinion on the matter in such a way where I say  "here, its on the record."

AB does have a little bit of an ego. But 1. Thats a human thing, dont think for a second you dont do anything for your ego. By making an account and posting here, you made an extension and an expression of your ego. People want to be liked. Don't be that guy that isnt aware of your own sense of self. And 2. That ego stems from him wanting to be the best reciever in the league and lo-and-behold. He is!!!

We love him for being a beast but we hate him for showing a hyper-competitive frame of mind? Showing frustration for being any less than perfect? Not everyone can play like Jerry Rice with the southern gentleman, all-business frame of mind as him.

Predictions:

1.That chip on his shoulder is NOT gonna fall off. You will see some frustration again some time.

2.That frustration won't cause any locker room discord. Because they're all grown men, and because AB on the field and off the field is as polar opposite as I've seen since Troy Polamalu.

3. He will not pull a Mike Wallace. (As if they're even similar enough to compare Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies 798776511 ) and will be retained on the team. He actually is that important. There are players that are less important and/or overypayed, making more than he is, on the roster right now.

The AB hate as long as it goes on is gonna irk me. Because ABs work ethic, ambition, and drive took him from once homeless, to a sixth round draft pick, to the best receiver in the league. Thats inspirational, and we should have a better grasp of that beforing boiling him down to a Kardashian because he showed some frustration. I know some people are gonna toss me the word "selfish." To that I'd say if I were a head coach, I'm putting the selfish guy out on the field. The selfish guy is gonna run his routes better and get himself open better so that he gets the ball, because he wants it, because hes selfish. This is a competitive sport not a conveyor belt at a toy factory.

Hear, hear! Fans are being way more dramatic about this than Brown was.

Exactly! Steelers are better with the football in AB's hands and when Mike Vick could not get it to him, he voiced his opinion on it. No prima donna, just the best WR in the game wanting to lead while the QB is out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies   Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Heat-seeking Mitchell owes no apologies
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: