HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:25 am

Steelers CB Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season

BY DAVE BRYAN DECEMBER 2, 2015

Will Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Brandon Boykin finally get a chance to contribute Sunday night in the team’s home game against the Indianapolis Colts? Judging by the comments made Tuesday by head coach Mike Tomlin, Boykin, who the team acquired during training camp via a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, will likely at least get to play in the team’s defensive sub package against the Colts due to the team needing to shake things up in their secondary.

Boykin reportedly talked to the media Wednesday morning and as expected, he gave a lot of PC answers to the questions he was asked.

According to Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Boykin said it’s been a “tough and frustrating season” so far for him but he’ll be ready Sunday night if ultimately given the opportunity to play against the Colts.

“The situation I’ve been in, it’s tough because you have to prepare every single week because you can be in at any time,” Boykin said. “That’s been hard for me, making that change or that transition, knowing that you have to stay ready because you can play. I have to attack it the same way. I never lost any confidence in myself the entire season. Once I get out there it will be exciting for me.”

So far this season, Boykin hasn’t even logged 25 snaps on defense through the team’s first 11 games and he could easily double that amount Sunday night even if he only plays as the slot corner in the Steelers nickel package.

According to Jacob Klinger of pennlive.com, Boykin nodded when he was asked whether or not he thought he could have contributed sooner this season if he had been given the chance to do so.

Additionally, he reportedly said he’d like to remain in Pittsburgh past this season.

Being as Boykin is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent during the offseason, it’s almost certain that he will test free agency. Should he wind up playing well in the Steelers final five games, it’s almost certain that he that he will be wearing a different uniform in 2016.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-brandon-boykin-week-13-colts-comments/

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:24 pm

No surprise Boykin thinks he could have contributed sooner and says he would like to come back with the Steelers next year - saying he wants to leave impacts his ability to get on the field this year and show other teams what he can do

After Boykin signs somewhere else in 2016 we will get what actually happened from both Boykin and sources on the Steelers (anonymous or otherwise) on why a player they burned a draft choice on did not play

Boykin presumably will not claim Mike Tomlin is "uncomfortable around grown men of our culture"
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:04 pm

I hope he does well and has a great 2016, hopefully not in our division.

The whole Blake situation is so much worse than keeping Carey Davis over Jon Kuhn was. We have to watch the "five alarm" Blake get burnt 10 times a week.
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:17 pm

I hope Boykin sets fire in this last part of the season, shuts fuckerz down, into the playoffs AND gets re-signed next year!

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:01 am

Move William Gay outside into Blake's spot, and let Boykin play the in the slot. I think the secondary would be infinitely better. Blake simply isn't getting the job done, and hasn't been for weeks. If our defense could make a few more stops in some of these games we'd be trampling our competition because there are very few teams out there that have defenses that compete against our offense. We embarrassed the Seattle defense which was supposed to be one of the best defenses in the league, and Ben threw for almost 500yds on them. When that happens you should win games, but when Antwon Blake misses crucial tackles, and gives up multiple easy TDs, then it allows the opposing offense to hang around with our own offense.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:24 am

I finally watched the game yesterday and it's true. Blake is Chad Scott reincarnated. What I missed in this thread was that on the last TD from the Squacks Mitchell was the first one to miss a tackle.

Believe me when I say I'm not defending Blake. He stinks but I think in 2016 CB should head the list with Safety in the second round. Will Allen is starting his decline and the slope looks steep. Mitchell probably has a couple produtive years left but after that we're real thin. I didn't mention Shemarko because he just doesn't seem to be able to keep his head in the game. Now I will defend him by saying he's good on STs and that call on the fair catch was BS.

Here's the thing. When Phil (I hate the Steelers) Simms sides with us on several calls or non calls like the bogus Int by Sherman that should have been PI it's obvious we were getting screwed.
We just need to improve on D enough so that the bad calls/non calls won't matter. That's my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:48 am

The bad calls definitely didn't help us against the Cryhawks and Richard Sherman got away with murder, but our secondary was about as tough as a wet paper sack. Will Allen is another guy I forgot to mention, I thought Golden played better than Allen, when he was filling in for him while he was hurt. I think Golden should get the start over Allen, and Boykin needs to see the field as well. If they don't make some kind of changes for the betterment of this team, it's going to be up to the offense to simply outscore our opponents.

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:30 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
The bad calls definitely didn't help us against the Cryhawks and Richard Sherman got away with murder, but our secondary was about as tough as a wet paper sack. Will Allen is another guy I forgot to mention, I thought Golden played better than Allen, when he was filling in for him while he was hurt. I think Golden should get the start over Allen, and Boykin needs to see the field as well. If they don't make some kind of changes for the betterment of this team, it's going to be up to the offense to simply outscore our opponents.

You're right. Golden was the one I couldn't think of but I don't look at him as our future. I could be wrong and with playing time he could be solid. I still think we need to spend some serious picks on our secondary.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:42 am

@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

You're right. Golden was the one I couldn't think of but I don't look at him as our future. I could be wrong and with playing time he could be solid. I still think we need to spend some serious picks on our secondary.

I concur, and hopefully not 5ft 7" guys that have durability issues in their first season. I hate to knock on Golson, he may very well turn out to be an awesome player, but it's a bit discouraging when you use a 2nd Round pick on a guy widely viewed as undersized, and then he is out for the season just as fast as he got here. Somethings gotta give, we have to address the secondary, they've been putting it off for far too long making picks on guys that are project type players in the later rounds that never end up panning out.

Back to top Go down
lotas

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:34 am

Will Allen is where Polamalu was in his last year, old and slow. Golden definitely outplayed Allen in the 4 games he filled in for him, and it would be nice for this coaching staff to reward the players who have shown promise with playing time.

Jesse James has done very well in the time he's seen on the field. Why are we not getting this kid involved more? At a time when TE's in the league have become as big of a weapon as tall, fast WR's, we need to get this guy involved more in the offense. Heath does great and his play is always reliable, but he's getting older now.

Bring on the Outlaw and let's get him more involved in the passing game. Between Ben, Brown, Bryant, Bell, Wheaton, D-Will, AND a stud TE? God damn...we will put up 40pts/game*.

* Barring any injuries

Last edited by lotas on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:35 am

@lotas wrote:
Will Allen is where Polamalu was in his last year, old and slow. Golden definitely outplayed Allen in the 4 games he filled in for him, and it would be nice for this coaching staff to reward the players who have shown promise with playing time.

Jesse James has done very well in the time he's seen on the field. Why are we not getting this kid involved more? At a time when TE's in the league have become as big of a weapon as tall, fast WR's, we need to get this guy involved more in the offense. Heath does great and his play is always reliable, but he's getting older now.

Bring on the Outlaw and let's get him more involved in the passing game. Between Ben, Brown, Bryant, Bell, Wheaton, D-Will, AND a stud TE? God damn...we will put up 40pts/game if we can just execute.

I like your confidence!

Back to top Go down
SteelCity4Life

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:48 pm

@lotas wrote:

Bring on the Outlaw and let's get him more involved in the passing game. Between Ben, Brown, Bryant, Bell, Wheaton, D-Will, AND a stud TE? God damn...we will put up 40pts/game*.

* Barring any injuries  

Now imagine all those weapons healthy AND a defense that doesn't give up 30 points. Shocked

Stuck in a SE Ohio Tech. school with a bunch of high schoolers.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Boykin gets opportunity to help Steelers' secondary vs Colts

By JOHN PERROTTO (Associated Press)

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Brandon Boykin has patiently waited for the chance to show the Pittsburgh Steelers what he can do. That opportunity figures to come for the cornerback Sunday night when the Steelers host the Indianapolis Colts in a matchup of 6-5 teams.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he'd likely make changes in the secondary and it appears Boykin will replace Antwan Blake in the starting lineup.

The Steelers acquired Boykin on Aug. 1 from the Philadelphia Eagles in a training-camp trade for a conditional fifth-round draft pick. However, the fourth-year veteran has been on the field for just 23 defensive plays through the first 11 games.

Boykin was the Eagles' primary nickel cornerback and had six interceptions in 2013.

''When you're in the situation I've been in, it's tough because you have to prepare every single week because you could be in at any time,'' Boykin said. ''But, I have to attack it the same way. I've never lost any confidence in myself this the entire season, so once I get out there, it will be exciting for me.''

That Boykin has played so little is a bit of surprise considering the Steelers have had problems defending the pass. However, defensive coordinator Keith Butler is not second-guessing the decision to keep Boykin on the bench.

''Because we really played decent football,'' Butler said of why changes weren't made sooner. ''You say, 'Well, you've given up all these yards and all this stuff,' but that's a combination of a lot of things.''

The tipping point came last week in a 39-30 loss at the Seattle Seahawks. Russell Wilson completed 21 of 30 passes for 345 yards and five touchdowns and consistently converted third-and-long situations.

That came on the heels of the Cleveland Browns' Johnny Manziel throwing for a career-high 372 yards in a game the Steelers won 30-9.

So Tomlin wants to see if Boykin can help solve the problem.

''He's got a good above-the-neck-game,'' Tomlin said. ''He's a detail guy. He was a highly productive guy when he came out of college. He has been a highly productive guy when given the opportunity in the NFL.''

Blake has been playing with a broken thumb and struggled in recent weeks. He had a particular rough game at Seattle.

''I am not used to missing a lot of tackles, and I have been missing tackles,'' Blake said. ''It is frustrating being known as one of the most physical corners to going out there and missing tackles.''

to read rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boykin-gets-opportunity-help-steelers-secondary-vs-colts-205538825--nfl.html

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:56 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
[
''He's got a good above-the-neck-game,'' Tomlin said. ''He's a detail guy. He was a highly productive guy when he came out of college. He has been a highly productive guy when given the opportunity in the NFL.''

So again..........why have they not given a guy that has been "highly productive" in the NFL an opportunity?? I still don't think Boykin gets more than 15 snaps.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:17 pm

@lotas wrote:

* Barring any injuries  

You should get your wish - Heath and Allen did not practice on Thursday
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:04 am

Brandon Boykin worked into a rotation Wednesday, but Blake holds spot Thursday

JIM WEXELL

PITTSBURGH -- A day after the Pittsburgh Steelers used a rotation of their first three cornerbacks, struggling starter Antwon Blake confirmed that he took all of the first-team reps Thursday in what appeared to be a quick victory in the staff's review of his first-team worthiness.

But Blake admitted it meant nothing with a practice remaining today. Even defensive coordinator Keith Butler inferred that there's more reviewing necessary.

"We’re still letting it kind of figure itself out, (Friday) too," said Butler. "We felt like we needed to get some guys some reps and we’ll see what happens when we get to game time. I’m not going to tell you who we are going to start, because I don’t want to tell them who we're starting."

The question comes down to whether the Steelers will keep William Gay outside opposite either Blake or Ross Cockrell when the other team uses three wide receivers, because Gay normally is moved inside on the slot receiver when Cockrell enters the field opposite Blake.

Another slot corner, Brandon Boykin, received first-group reps on Wednesday, but it doesn't appear as if he's in the running for an outside spot. That clue was provided by Butler when asked if opposing teams would target Boykin in the run game.

"They may or they may not," Butler said. "But we’re not going to put him in there when we think they’re running."

Was Blake's physical stature the reason they chose him to play cornerback at the start of the season, even though he too was untested and raw?

"What Blake had shown us in training camp was really a mental toughness type of thing," Butler explained. "He’s in a position right now where he’s never played as many plays as he has this year, and he’s playing a lot on special teams, so that will wear you out. ... Every time they try to go deep you’re running with them. It’s like you’re running 70-yard sprints all the time and then going to special teams and running another 70-yard sprint to cover the kick. So, we have to be smart about that and where we’re playing him and giving him rest. We’ll try to manage that a little bit better than we have."

The guess here -- with the understanding that anything can happen at today's practice -- is that Boykin will receive some of the slot reps in the nickel on game night in order to give Blake some rest for his special-teams work.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1619367-steelers-notebook-blake-takes-all-reps

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:37 am

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Brandon Boykin worked into a rotation Wednesday, but Blake holds spot Thursday

JIM WEXELL

PITTSBURGH -- A day after the Pittsburgh Steelers used a rotation of their first three cornerbacks, struggling starter Antwon Blake confirmed that he took all of the first-team reps Thursday in what appeared to be a quick victory in the staff's review of his first-team worthiness.

But Blake admitted it meant nothing with a practice remaining today. Even defensive coordinator Keith Butler inferred that there's more reviewing necessary.

"We’re still letting it kind of figure itself out, (Friday) too," said Butler. "We felt like we needed to get some guys some reps and we’ll see what happens when we get to game time. I’m not going to tell you who we are going to start, because I don’t want to tell them who we're starting."

The question comes down to whether the Steelers will keep William Gay outside opposite either Blake or Ross Cockrell when the other team uses three wide receivers, because Gay normally is moved inside on the slot receiver when Cockrell enters the field opposite Blake.

Another slot corner, Brandon Boykin, received first-group reps on Wednesday, but it doesn't appear as if he's in the running for an outside spot. That clue was provided by Butler when asked if opposing teams would target Boykin in the run game.

"They may or they may not," Butler said. "But we’re not going to put him in there when we think they’re running."

Was Blake's physical stature the reason they chose him to play cornerback at the start of the season, even though he too was untested and raw?

"What Blake had shown us in training camp was really a mental toughness type of thing," Butler explained. "He’s in a position right now where he’s never played as many plays as he has this year, and he’s playing a lot on special teams, so that will wear you out. ... Every time they try to go deep you’re running with them. It’s like you’re running 70-yard sprints all the time and then going to special teams and running another 70-yard sprint to cover the kick. So, we have to be smart about that and where we’re playing him and giving him rest. We’ll try to manage that a little bit better than we have."

The guess here -- with the understanding that anything can happen at today's practice -- is that Boykin will receive some of the slot reps in the nickel on game night in order to give Blake some rest for his special-teams work.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1619367-steelers-notebook-blake-takes-all-reps

So in other words we're still going to see Blake getting victimized on the outside again...

Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:00 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
[

So again..........why have they not given a guy that has been "highly productive" in the NFL an opportunity??  I still don't think Boykin gets more than 15 snaps.  

Tomlin's statement is exactly why it has been so puzzling. We all know he has been a productive player while on the field his entire career.

The fact that he hasn't given him a chance while Blake has played at such a low level just doesn't make sense. Is it Lake or Butler that have a problem with how he works? I don't have the answer to that, but in football if something isn't working you try something else. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.

I also would like to see a secondary with corners that are also able to play man coverage. They need to mix it up more. Butler continues to run mainly zone, with exotic blitz pressures to try to get sacks and force mistakes. It has worked well in some games, particularly earlier in the year. Some teams have figured it out, but he hasn't made adjustments to give the quarterback a different look. It appears teams have studied the tape and have figured out some tendencies. Many of the blitzes are being picked up, and the secondary it getting gashed.

I know they don't have stud corners everywhere on the field, but if they can just find one more guy that is a reliable cover man, the defense will improve and become much more consistent. Giving up less yards will set up this potent offense with better field position, and the opportunity to score even more points.

Watching this defense the last few weeks makes it feel like they are light years away from being very good, but I believe an improvement in corner play would be enough to give this team a chance to get on a roll if the offense can stay healthy enough to dominate.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:59 am

@pczach wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
[

So again..........why have they not given a guy that has been "highly productive" in the NFL an opportunity??  I still don't think Boykin gets more than 15 snaps.  

Tomlin's statement is exactly why it has been so puzzling. We all know he has been a productive player while on the field his entire career.

The fact that he hasn't given him a chance while Blake has played at such a low level just doesn't make sense. Is it Lake or Butler that have a problem with how he works? I don't have the answer to that, but in football if something isn't working you try something else. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.

I also would like to see a secondary with corners that are also able to play man coverage. They need to mix it up more. Butler continues to run mainly zone, with exotic blitz pressures to try to get sacks and force mistakes. It has worked well in some games, particularly earlier in the year. Some teams have figured it out, but he hasn't made adjustments to give the quarterback a different look. It appears teams have studied the tape and have figured out some tendencies. Many of the blitzes are being picked up, and the secondary it getting gashed.

I know they don't have stud corners everywhere on the field, but if they can just find one more guy that is a reliable cover man, the defense will improve and become much more consistent. Giving up less yards will set up this potent offense with better field position, and the opportunity to score even more points.

Watching this defense the last few weeks makes it feel like they are light years away from being very good, but I believe an improvement in corner play would be enough to give this team a chance to get on a roll if the offense can stay healthy enough to dominate.
I completely agree. It was working from Week 4 - Week 10 or so, we were getting turnovers pretty regularly, and we were forcing a lot of field goals.

However, it's completely obvious that opposing teams know exactly how to beat us now, yet we make no adjustments, like you said.

It feels eerily similar to our defense did in the last couple years under Lebeau, nobody was fearing our blitzing schemes anymore and we would just get gashed in zone.

I do firmly believe we have seen flashes of brilliance from this defense this year, and while some of our stats and game execution are skewed to look like we are terrible, this defense is NOT that far off from playing sound football. It literally comes down to a.) finding at least one true cover corner and b.) keeping everyone healthy so they can gel and get on track.

I'm not trying to look beyond this year because I don't believe it's over, but I think we may see possibly the most all around solid Steelers football team in the next 1-3 years that we have ever seen in Ben's time here.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:49 am

If Blake starts this Sunday I will jump on a plane to Pittsburgh and go knock Tomlin the fuck out! Twisted Evil Who gives a shit what one does in practice, real time game play is where it's at and clearly Blake is lost!

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:17 pm

@SoCalFan wrote:
If Blake starts this Sunday I will jump on a plane to Pittsburgh and go knock Tomlin the fuck out!  Twisted Evil Who gives a shit what one does in practice, real time game play is where it's at and clearly Blake is lost!

You should start looking at flights, as I think all signs point to the secondary remaining the same.

The standard is the Standard. (300 yd passers)
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:47 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SoCalFan wrote:
If Blake starts this Sunday I will jump on a plane to Pittsburgh and go knock Tomlin the fuck out!  Twisted Evil Who gives a shit what one does in practice, real time game play is where it's at and clearly Blake is lost!

You should start looking at flights, as I think all signs point to the secondary remaining the same.

The standard is the Standard.  (300 yd passers)

Gonzo, regarding our secondary, didn't you mean to type, "the sub-standard is the standard."
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:01 pm

@SoCalFan wrote:
Exactly! A lot of coaches get caught up with "practice" stars! Looks great in practice, but can't bust a grape during real time. Looks like Tomlin is one of them coaches. He should know better than this!
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:50 pm

@EbonySteel86 wrote:
@SoCalFan wrote:
Exactly! A lot of coaches get caught up with "practice" stars! Looks great in practice,  but can't bust a grape during real time. Looks like Tomlin is one of them coaches. He should know better than this!

While I don't think Tomlin falls for the "practice stars" thing I do think he does not play people that don't practice well or "dog it" in practice. Not saying that is what Boykin has done but it would make sense.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Boykin played 70% of the snaps last night, all of them in the slot:

Boykin 42/60
Blake 32/60
Cockrell 45/60
Gay 48/60

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   

Back to top Go down

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: