HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:03 pm

2016 NFL free agency: Would Brandon Boykin upgrade New York Giants secondary?

By Ed Valentine on Feb 9, 2016

Former Eagle could be available on free-agent market.

Brandon Boykin and the New York Giants have a history. Boykin spent the first three seasons of his NFL career with the NFC East rival Philadelphia Eagles, and in 2014 had a highly-publicized spat with then-Giant Walter Thurmond over Thurmond's claim that he was the league's best slot cornerback at the time.

Well, Thurmond's career with the Giants lasted two games and he spent 2015 playing safety for the Eagles. Boykin got traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, took shots at Chip Kelly on his way out the door, endured a very strange season and is now an unrestricted free agent.

All of that preamble is leading up to a simple question: Is it time for Boykin and the Giants to join forces?

The Giants started the season with Trumaine McBride in the slot and finished it with Trevin Wade there. Both are, at best, stop-gaps. The Giants also have the free agency of cornerback Prince Amukamara hanging over them.

After being acquired by Pittsburgh for a conditional draft choice (fourth or fifth-round based on playing time), Boykin played only 274 defensive snaps (24 percent) for the Steelers. He played in only three of Pittsburgh's first 11 games for a paltry 22 total snaps before becoming a regular part of the defensive rotation the final fives games. He played no fewer than 39 snaps in any of those contests.

Weird.

Walter Football ranks Boykin No. 60 on its list of the top 90 unrestricted free agents:

The Steelers had one of the top nickel corners in the NFL at their disposal, yet they inexplicably didn't use him for most of the year. Overwhelmed defensive coordinator Keith Butler finally began utilize him in December, and it paid off big time, as Brandon Boykin performed extremely well.

Here is what our friends over at SB Nation's Behind the Steel Curtain had to say about the Boykin experience in 2015:

So, to put a bow on this entire saga, Boykin went from a spectator, to one of the most used defensive weapons at the cornerback position. Certainly seems fishy, as it would be rare for Boykin to just suddenly start to play better in practice the last quarter of the season. Did the Steelers not play Boykin intentionally? Were they concerned about losing a 4th round draft pick? Personally, I don't think so, but conspiracy theorists would likely disagree.

Nonetheless, Boykin's weird season in the Steel City is over, and he becomes a free agent this offseason. Pittsburgh would be smart to see what it would cost to have his services back in 2016 and beyond, except this time without any concern of potential snap totals.

Boykin, a 2012 fourth-round pick by the Eagles, turns 26 in July. Thus, he should have plenty of prime seasons left.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/2/9/10930282/2016-nfl-free-agency-brandon-boykin-pittsburgh-steelers-new-york-giants-prince-amukamara
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:16 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
Steel Peon wrote:
rellimie wrote:
We aren't at the practices and team meetings.  We don't know what goes on.  

You're just going to have to get used to seeing most Steelers fans on every message board imaginable scapegoating Blake for all the defensive problems we've had this year, while at the same time claiming that Boykin should've replaced him from game one forward, even though Boykin can't replace him in his position. Also be ready for the landslide of meaningless statistics that prove Blake isn't fit to start for a varsity team, while Boykin's stats show we could've been favorites to win the Super Bowl if only we'd tried to jam his square peg into our round hole sooner. Even after hearing this stuff all season, it's still a wonder to behold.
i honestly think Blake gets a bit of a raw deal at times. I mean I don't want him starting but he did come up with some big plays this year. Honestly, while we did allow a good amount of yards this year on passing, we also created more turnovers too which was something that we had been lacking in recent years.

Watch his technique with somebody that knows a bit of DB play and its sloppy.  Watch the receptions allowed and the tackles missed and its some of the worst in the NFL.

Watch the INT he made on McCarron's underthrow and remember.  "even a broken clock is correct 2 times a day".

Sure, safety help isn't what it used to be and the pass rush from OLB's isn't up to the standard....but deciding you are OK with a sub-standard talent in Blake is no different than thinking you are OK with Brandon Weeden as your starting QB.
Fair enough.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:14 pm

The Steelers would be smart to re-sign CB Brandon Boykin

By: Daniel Sager | February 11, 2016

In just the second week of training camp last August, the Pittsburgh Steelers shipped a late-round draft pick to the Philadelphia Eagles for CB Brandon Boykin. The Steelers, who just a year before finished 27th in the NFL in pass defense, were in desperate need of a starting cornerback after Cortez Allen’s nagging camp injuries and Senquez Golson’s shoulder injury that ultimately ended his rookie season before it began.

Strangely, the Steelers all but excluded Boykin from the playing field for nearly three-quarters of the season. Playing behind William Gay, Antwan Blake, and Ross Cockrell, the latter of which was claimed from the Buffalo Bills just a week before the regular season, Boykin was on the field for roughly 10 percent of the Steelers’ snaps in Weeks 1 through 12. In the last five games of the season, however, rookie defensive coordinator Keith Butler (perhaps at the urging of Mike Tomlin, or possibly the inverse) installed Boykin as Pittsburgh’s nickel corner, and he excelled, batting down a trio of passes and securing an interception against the Bengals.

That late-season success, coupled with his age (25) and presumably team-friendly contract number is making Boykin a trendy commodity. With free agency just under a month away, the Steelers would be wise to get their affairs in order and offer Boykin a contract extension.

All season, observers of the Steelers wondered why the coaching staff was leaving one of the league’s top nickel cornerbacks on the bench. Many posited that Boykin’s “demotion” was the result of him failing to grasp Pittsburgh’s system, but given his play at the end of the season, Boykin’s early-season absence is extremely confounding. According to Pro Football Focus’ metrics, Boykin earned positive pass coverage grades in each of Pittsburgh’s final five regular season games. Beginning in Week 16, Boykin played at least 60 snaps in the final two weeks of the season and in Pittsburgh’s two playoff games. He collected a sack this season, and most notably, he did not commit a single penalty in any other 407 snaps that he played in 2015.

Boykin, along with Gay and Blake, are all set to hit free agency in March. PFF named Boykin as one of the 10 best cornerbacks that will be available next month, while ESPN pegged him as one of the most “intriguing” options available. Either way, if the Steelers want him back, they apparently will not be alone.

Fortunately for Pittsburgh, the open market will be flush with elite options like Josh Norman and Sean Smith, above average starters like Casey Heyward and Janoris Jenkins, and solid veteran presences like Adam Jones and Trumaine Johnson. The fact that Boykin was relegated to the bench for much of the season could keep his price reasonable or prevent someone from offering him a three- or four-year deal, but, considering the fact that he is only 25 and no one is quite sure of how high his ceiling goes makes him an interesting option for a secondary-starved team.

The Steelers ranked 30th in the NFL in pass defense last season, so the numbers indicate that they are among the most secondary-starved teams in the NFL.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/11/the-steelers-would-be-smart-to-re-sign-cb-brandon-boykin/

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:36 pm

I honestly think Boykin can be a starter on the outside. his coverage skills are great and he has a nose for the ball. his tackling is better than people give him credit for (unless it's improved big time since his time in philly). I'd say resign him and let him compete for the #1 or #2 CB spots. He can't be worse than Blake was.

Golson seems like the perfect fit for a slot corner. Re-sign Blake but keep him as a backup. Gay-Boykin-Golson as the starting corners doesn't sound too bad. All 3 corners are ball hawks that can make QB's pay for throwing at them, I like it tbh.
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:21 pm

Steel Peon wrote:
jam his square peg into our round hole

No thanks.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:05 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
I honestly think Boykin can be a starter on the outside. his coverage skills are great and he has a nose for the ball. his tackling is better than people give him credit for (unless it's improved big time since his time in philly). I'd say resign him and let him compete for the #1 or #2 CB spots. He can't be worse than Blake was.

Golson seems like the perfect fit for a slot corner. Re-sign Blake but keep him as a backup. Gay-Boykin-Golson as the starting corners doesn't sound too bad. All 3 corners are ball hawks that can make QB's pay for throwing at them, I like it tbh.

Golson and Cockrell are under contract. So if they also sign Gay and Boykin, there should be no reason or room to sign Blake to a contract, other than he will take the minimum because no other NFL team would want him.

IMO, Boykin will get too much $ offered in FA for the Steelers to contend to sign him. If they sign Boykin and Gay, Boykin will likely be the highest paid CB on the roster. Look more for Gay, Cockrell, Golson, Blake, Grant and a draft pick to be the top 6 CB's in Latrobe.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Brandon Boykin open to Steelers return despite playing-time issues

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Free agent cornerback Brandon Boykin, who’s spending the early part of the offseason training at a boxing gym in the Atlanta area, said he’s open to a return to the Pittsburgh Steelers despite a rough first four months with the organization.

Boykin is Pro Football Focus’ 10th-ranked free agent cornerback. He recorded six interceptions with the Eagles in 2013. But after the Steelers traded a fifth-round pick for him on Aug. 1, they kept him on the bench for 12 games, relegated to special teams duty.

He finally broke the lineup in Week 13 and acquitted himself well with one interception, two passes defended, a forced fumble and a sack. He finished the year playing 24.7 percent of the defensive snaps, ranking seventh among Steelers in the defensive backfield, which struggled at times in 2015. Russell Wilson's five-touchdown performance in a Week 12 Steelers loss finally prompted coach Mike Tomlin to shuffle the lineup.

Boykin said he didn’t know why he sat out and didn’t want to cause any commotion, so he kept his head down until he got a chance. Overall, his experience in Pittsburgh was a positive one.

“At the end, the organization said they appreciated how I went about it, being a pro, not really talking about it,” Boykin said. “I don’t have any hard feelings toward Pittsburgh. Absolutely, under the right circumstances, for sure [I’d return].”

Boykin said he had a good rapport with teammates and enjoyed being in a locker room with a “championship swagger” that prioritizes game preparation above all else. It’s a calm locker room where “nobody’s really worried,” Boykin said, just confident.

Politics could have affected Boykin’s benching. The Steelers are loyal to William Gay, who played on the outside and in the slot, depending on the package. To offset Gay’s 5-foot-10 frame on the outside, the team also played bigger corner Ross Cockrell. Boykin is 5-foot-10, so playing another small corner alongside Gay and 5-foot-9 Antwon Blake wasn't a preference.

Philadelphia’s draft pick in the trade was conditional, meaning it turned into a fourth-round selection if Boykin hit a snap-percentage threshold. Boykin did not hit that mark because of his low percentage.

Boykin said he preferred to focus on performing well in practice instead of why he wasn’t playing. He’s approaching free agency with an open mind.

“Just being open to whatever’s happening, just relaxing and living life with the fam,” Boykin said. “I’m confident that I’ve got some good tape out there, whoever wants to come.”

The Steelers have five free agent defensive backs, so the position will be revamped regardless. Boykin is training at Title Boxing in Alpharetta, Georgia. The low-impact training keeps the body fresh, Boykin said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/17766/free-agent-brandon-boykin-open-to-steelers-return-despite-playing-time-issues

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Well that's good news. I suppose it will come down to if Golson can play well outside and doesn't get stuck in the slot role, if he's only in the slot, might not keep Boykin. On the other hand I can't see why they'd toss that draft pick so quickly.

All signs seem to point to bye bye Will Gay, hello Cockrell, Golson, Boykin perhaps?

Not the most settling scenario but we expect uncertainty with the secondary at this point. I think Golson will acclimate to the NFL fast. He seems to have the athleticism and football IQ.

Also the more I read up on pre-draft talk, the more confident I am that we will NOT draft a CB in round one. It would be nice. But I think we're sleeping on the talent we already have, just needs to develop some. I do think we will grab a CB somewhere, but round 1 will be Safety or BPA, probably BPA.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:31 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:

All signs seem to point to bye bye Will Gay, hello Cockrell, Golson, Boykin perhaps?

I don't think so. Will Gay will come much cheaper than Boykin. I give the Steelers a 10% chance of keeping Boykin in B&G. IMO, more likely Gay, Cockrell, Golson and Blake getting a chance to bounce back (despite being a terrible CB).
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Brandon Boykin open to Steelers return despite playing-time issues

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Free agent cornerback Brandon Boykin, who’s spending the early part of the offseason training at a boxing gym in the Atlanta area, said he’s open to a return to the Pittsburgh Steelers despite a rough first four months with the organization.

Boykin is Pro Football Focus’ 10th-ranked free agent cornerback. He recorded six interceptions with the Eagles in 2013. But after the Steelers traded a fifth-round pick for him on Aug. 1, they kept him on the bench for 12 games, relegated to special teams duty.

He finally broke the lineup in Week 13 and acquitted himself well with one interception, two passes defended, a forced fumble and a sack. He finished the year playing 24.7 percent of the defensive snaps, ranking seventh among Steelers in the defensive backfield, which struggled at times in 2015. Russell Wilson's five-touchdown performance in a Week 12 Steelers loss finally prompted coach Mike Tomlin to shuffle the lineup.

Boykin said he didn’t know why he sat out and didn’t want to cause any commotion, so he kept his head down until he got a chance. Overall, his experience in Pittsburgh was a positive one.

“At the end, the organization said they appreciated how I went about it, being a pro, not really talking about it,” Boykin said. “I don’t have any hard feelings toward Pittsburgh. Absolutely, under the right circumstances, for sure [I’d return].”

Boykin said he had a good rapport with teammates and enjoyed being in a locker room with a “championship swagger” that prioritizes game preparation above all else. It’s a calm locker room where “nobody’s really worried,” Boykin said, just confident.

Politics could have affected Boykin’s benching. The Steelers are loyal to William Gay, who played on the outside and in the slot, depending on the package. To offset Gay’s 5-foot-10 frame on the outside, the team also played bigger corner Ross Cockrell. Boykin is 5-foot-10, so playing another small corner alongside Gay and 5-foot-9 Antwon Blake wasn't a preference.

Philadelphia’s draft pick in the trade was conditional, meaning it turned into a fourth-round selection if Boykin hit a snap-percentage threshold. Boykin did not hit that mark because of his low percentage.

Boykin said he preferred to focus on performing well in practice instead of why he wasn’t playing. He’s approaching free agency with an open mind.

“Just being open to whatever’s happening, just relaxing and living life with the fam,” Boykin said. “I’m confident that I’ve got some good tape out there, whoever wants to come.”

The Steelers have five free agent defensive backs, so the position will be revamped regardless. Boykin is training at Title Boxing in Alpharetta, Georgia. The low-impact training keeps the body fresh, Boykin said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/17766/free-agent-brandon-boykin-open-to-steelers-return-despite-playing-time-issues
That's good. I did like what I saw out of him in limited playing time. I like Gay but I like Boykin has more upside at this point in their careers.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:31 am

Boykin wants to start on the outside as a #1 or #2, i think he just wants a chance to compete there. and of course a good paying contract lol
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:19 am

Unfortunately, I think it's either going to be Gay or Boykin. Not both. I do think Gay will be slightly cheaper, but Boykin is a longer term investment.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:27 pm

TOP 10 CORNERBACKS ABOUT TO HIT FREE AGENCY

by MATT CLAASSEN

The cornerback position will be a priority for many teams this offseason as they try to improve the back end of their defenses.

Below are PFF’s top 10 cornerback free agents entering the 2016 NFL offseason:

1. Josh Norman
2015 team: Carolina Panthers

It’s likely Norman doesn’t make it out of Carolina, whether it is by contract extension or franchise tag, but regardless, he is the best player among the group of free agent cornerbacks. Norman was one of the best cover corners in the league this season, with only three others earning a higher coverage grade. Norman allowed a 54.0 passer rating when targeted in coverage during the regular season, a league-low at the position this year.

2. Sean Smith
2015 team: Kansas City Chiefs

Since joining the Chiefs in 2013, Smith has earned positive coverage and overall grades in each of his three seasons. His 2014 campaign was his most impressive, as he earned the second-highest coverage grade among cornerbacks while he also avoided being penalized a single time all season—a remarkable feat these days, given how often flags are thrown for coverage penalties. Smith is not an elite corner, but he has proven over the last two seasons that he is a solid No. 1 cornerback.

3. Casey Hayward
2015 team: Green Bay Packers

Hayward’s best season came as a rookie in 2012, as he earned the third-highest coverage grade for cornerbacks that season and won our Defensive Rookie of the Year award. He was injured most of the following years, and he hasn’t quite reached that same level of play since, but has still played well over the last couple years He has earned above-average coverage grades in each of his four seasons, ranking 14th and 21st at the position the last two seasons. He has proven capable of playing on the outside now, but he is still at his best when playing in the slot.

4. Adam Jones
2015 team: Cincinnati Bengals

Jones has been a solid player in the Bengals’ secondary since signing with the team in 2011. He has never finished with a below-average coverage grade in the PFF-era. He’s coming off his second-highest coverage grade over that time, and allowed a passer rating of 60.0 when targeted by opposing quarterbacks. One weakness for Jones, though, is his propensity for missed tackles, with 35 over the last three seasons. Jones turns 33 years old in September, and would really only be a short-term solution, but he could certainly help tighten up a secondary as an outside corner.

5. Trumaine Johnson
2015 team: St. Louis Rams

Johnson is the lesser known of two free agent cornerbacks for the Rams, but he had his best season as a starter and ranked 19th at his position with an 82.2 overall player grade. Johnson allowed a 55.0 passer rating when targeted, second to only Norman this season among corners. He still needs to prove that he can sustain that level of play for more than one season, but the arrow seems to be pointing up for Johnson.

6. Janoris Jenkins
2015 team: St. Louis Rams

We’ve come to expect big plays when quarterbacks target Janoris Jenkins, but those could be either good plays made by Jenkins, or big plays that he has allowed. Over his four-year career, Jenkins has allowed five or more touchdowns in every season (22 total), and missed 56 tackles in 60 games. However, Jenkins has also had 13 or more combined interceptions and pass defenses in three of his four seasons. He has improved over time, and is coming off his highest-graded season in coverage, where he ranked 30th among cornerbacks. Jenkins will make some impactful plays on defense, but he has shown over the last few years that he is susceptible to giving them up, as well.

7. Prince Amukamara
2015 team: New York Giants

Amukamara hasn’t quite lived up to his selection in the first-round of the 2011 draft, but injuries have had a lot to do with that. He missed multiple games in four of his five seasons as a pro, and might have been higher on this list if not for the perpetual injuries. When he is on the field, he has shown he is a capable starter. He doesn’t make the big, splashy plays often, but he has consistently graded above average over the last four seasons.

8. Patrick Robinson
2015 team: San Diego Chargers

Robinson is set to hit free agency for the second year in a row after signing a one-year deal with the Chargers last offseason. After having his ups and downs in New Orleans, the former first-round pick put together one of the better seasons of his short career. Robinson allowed 30 or more yards receiving just once all season, and ranked in the top third of cornerbacks in coverage grade. But his inconsistency prior to his San Diego stint is still a bit concerning.

9. Leon Hall
2015 team: Cincinnati Bengals

There was a time when Hall was among some of the best cover corners in the league, particularly in the slot. He was on his way to a potential career-year in 2013 before a second Achilles injury cut his season short. Even though he is not quite the same player he used to be, he has earned above-average coverage grades in each of his nine seasons in the league. Hall is best when playing in the slot, a position that not every cornerback can play. With the abundance of spread looks in the NFL, Hall can make a large contribution even if he’s not a starter.

10. Brandon Boykin
2015 team: Pittsburgh Steelers

Just a few seasons ago in 2013, Boykin was among our highest-graded cornerbacks in coverage. After being traded to Pittsburgh for a late-round draft pick prior to the start of this season, he hardly saw the field for much of the season. The Steelers finally gave him more playing in Week 13, and he played well. He had one interception, two pass defenses, and allowed a passer rating of 65.0 over the final five weeks of the regular season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/10/pro-top-10-cornerbacks-about-to-hit-free-agency/

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Report: Brandon Boykin To Visit Panthers

BY ALEX KOZORA MARCH 26, 2016

It surprised many to see the likes of Sean Spence, Antwon Blake, and Terence Garvin sign before Brandon Boykin. But now, Boykin may be close to finding a new home.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports Boykin has a Monday visit set with the Carolina Panthers.

Boykin’s market has been surprisingly cold, despite being one of the top cornerbacks left on the market for the last week. His only known previous interest came from the Atlanta Falcons, though that spark quickly went out. Boykin could wind up being the team’s slot corner – like he was in Pittsburgh – with Josh Norman and Bene Benwikere on the outside.

Boykin’s time in Pittsburgh, as it has been recounted dozens of time on this site alone, was a curious one to most fans. Traded for a 5th round pick during training camp, Boykin did not see consistent playing time until close to the last month of the season, where he took over as the team’s nickel corner, limiting Ross Cockrell and Antwon Blake’s playing time. He finished his Steelers’ tenure with 21 tackles, an interception, a forced fumble, and a sack.

His market value appears to be less than originally thought and could come in around the $3.5-$4 million range. Patrick Robinson was the last notable corner to sign, joining the Indianapolis Colts, for $4.67 million average yearly value.

Mike Tomlin basically encouraged Boykin to test free agency in their exit meeting and though he reportedly left the door open for a return, those chances were always slim. While Boykin said the right things and did not get publicly upset by his lack of playing time, 2015 had to have been the most frustrating year of his career.

He’s always wanted to be viewed as more than a slot corner though the Eagles, Steelers, and possibly the Panthers have all profiled him as such.

We’ll update if and when he signs on Monday.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-brandon-boykin-visit-panthers/

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:59 pm

Strangest situation involving a steeler i can remember. We sucked in pass defense last year, he comes in finally, plays pretty well by most accounts, and yet is seemingly pretty much ignored by the steelers and everyone else for that matter up until now. Maybe we'll read about what really went down in 'their life's work part 2'
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Yeah this is really weird. Can't put my finger on it. The only thing I can really think is they want to see what Golson has to offer. Not sure what's going on. It could be that Boykin flat out doesn't want to be back so without knowing both sides, I can't really fault or praise the decision. to pretty much let Boykin go.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Fairly simple IMO. Boykin wants to start as a CB on the outside and likely get paid $4-5million per season. Arguably, Gay, Golson, Grant are all better in the slot than on the boundary...so why invest in Boykin.

The lack of interest in Boykin on the market might be because he wants to play outside, rather than just accept he is a slot CB, where he should try to cash in like Casey Heyward did.

Steelers likely to go with Gay, Cockrell, Golson, Grant and draft a CB.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:06 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fairly simple IMO.  Boykin wants to start as a CB on the outside and likely get paid $4-5million per season.  Arguably, Gay, Golson, Grant are all better in the slot than on the boundary...so why  invest in Boykin.

The lack of interest in Boykin on the market might be because he wants to play outside, rather than just accept he is a slot CB, where he should try to cash in like Casey Heyward did.  

Steelers likely to go with Gay, Cockrell, Golson, Grant and draft a CB......     and draft a safety. 
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:56 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fairly simple IMO.  Boykin wants to start as a CB on the outside and likely get paid $4-5million per season.  Arguably, Gay, Golson, Grant are all better in the slot than on the boundary...so why  invest in Boykin.

Steelers likely to go with Gay, Cockrell, Golson, Grant and draft a CB......     and draft a safety. 

Oh yeah, drafting a Safety is going to happen more likely than even drafting a CB IMO.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:01 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Boykin signs with Panthers - does not sound as if he expects to compete for a starting position or for that matter necessarily staying around for long

Brandon Boykin is hoping a new start with the Carolina Panthers will bring big rewards.

The unrestricted free agent cornerback and former Steeler signed a one-year contract with the Panthers on Monday after a difficult season in 2015....

With Carolina cornerback Bene Benwikere moving to the outside to assume a starting role next season opposite All-Pro Josh Norman, the team’s designated franchise player, Boykin is expected to compete for the team’s nickel cornerback spot.

“They really know that is where I thrive and I have been extremely productive there,” Boykin said of the Panthers

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/03/28/Carolina-Panthers-sign-ex-Steelers-cornerback-Brandon-Boykin/stories/201603280115
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:10 pm

CHARLOTTE – The Panthers have signed cornerback Brandon Boykin to a one-year contract.

"I’ve watched Carolina and you can’t help but see how successful they’ve been in the defensive backfield with their style of play," Boykin said. "I knew it would be a really good fit for me."

The four-year veteran fills Carolina’s need at nickel corner, with cornerback Bene Benwikere in position take over a full-time role on the outside in 2016.

"Brandon brings a lot of versatility,” general manager Dave Gettleman said. "He’s athletic, smart, instinctive, tough, and has quality ball skills. Brandon is a very good piece for our defense and brings solid special teams value as well. We’re excited to add Brandon to our roster."

Boykin, a former fourth-round pick from Georgia, spent the first three years of his career with the Philadelphia Eagles. He recorded a career-high six interceptions in 2013, his second season.

The Eagles traded Boykin to the Pittsburgh Steelers prior to the start of the 2015 season. After spending much of the year as a reserve, Boykin eventually became a significant contributor late in the season. He finished with 25 tackles, one interception and one sack before becoming a free agent.

"Getting traded to Pittsburgh, I didn’t know what was going on and I had to battle through adversity," Boykin said. "But it ultimately led me here. I’m confident in my ability and this organization is confident in me."

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-Sign-CB-Brandon-Boykin/41c55c49-9489-4df9-b61b-8310a1726898
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Boykin signs with Panthers - does not sound as if he expects to compete for a starting position or for that matter necessarily staying around for long

Brandon Boykin is hoping a new start with the Carolina Panthers will bring big rewards.

The unrestricted free agent cornerback and former Steeler signed a one-year contract with the Panthers on Monday after a difficult season in 2015....

With Carolina cornerback Bene Benwikere moving to the outside to assume a starting role next season opposite All-Pro Josh Norman, the team’s designated franchise player, Boykin is expected to compete for the team’s nickel cornerback spot.

“They really know that is where I thrive and I have been extremely productive there,” Boykin said of the Panthers

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/03/28/Carolina-Panthers-sign-ex-Steelers-cornerback-Brandon-Boykin/stories/201603280115

I think he automatically becomes their nickel corner.  The PG seems to think he is just competition, but Panthers GM Dave Gettleman seems to think " Brandon is a very good piece for our defense".  

Somebody politically didn't want him in Pittsburgh and that is why they put him on the end of the bench of one of the worst secondary's in the NFL.  Good move for him.  I'll be interested to know what the contract is worth.
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:06 pm

I'll always wonder what the fuck happened. Literally nothing about his time in Pittsburgh made sense.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:27 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
 Good move for him. I'll be interested to know what the contract is worth.

Based on this quote probably not as much as he was expecting

"Money is important, but it's not the absolute end all, be all," he said

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2628263-brandon-boykin-to-panthers-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

Looks like a one year deal after not attracting a lot of interest elsewhere and chance for Boykin to show his stuff with a better secondary to set up a longer deal going forward in 2017 - best of luck to him

His situation in Pittsburgh was odd from the start, ending with the anonymous sniping that Peyton's completion on third and long on the game winning playoff drive in Denver was because Boykin did not know the defensive call - better for him to get away
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Pretty stupid loss for Pittsburgh over all. The guy showed he could play and played well. Losing hi to another team for vet minimum... Wow...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   

Back to top Go down

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: