HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:58 pm

Welp.. compensatory picks. The more you play the lottery the more likely you are to win it.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:14 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Pretty stupid loss for Pittsburgh over all. The guy showed he could play and played well. Losing hi to another team for vet minimum... Wow...

does Boykin have a disease we don't know about?

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Steelers don't like CB that play well for them I guess. First they sign Cortez Allen and let Kennan Lewis go, now they sign William Gay and let and let one of the top slot CB in the league in Boykin go. Not that I don't like Gay, but Boykin is younger and a better Cover Corner than Gay, imo. Ain't it like we've haven't had good CB''s on the roster, we just think the bad ones are better. Blake had 1000 chances, but Boykin gets none? Makes NO sense!
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:42 pm

@EbonySteel86 wrote:
Steelers don't like CB that play well for them I guess. First they sign Cortez Allen and let Kennan Lewis go, now they sign William Gay and let and let one of the top slot CB in the league in Boykin go. Not that I don't like Gay, but Boykin is younger and a better Cover Corner than Gay, imo. Ain't it like we've haven't had good CB''s on the roster, we just think the bad ones are better. Blake had 1000 chances, but Boykin gets none? Makes NO sense!

What's terrifying is, if Gay didn't like playing here so much and felt like going after a few extra bucks, we very easily could have lost both of them this offseason, and I don't think our front office would have even flinched. They would have just told themselves everything was okay and rolled Cockrell, Golson, and Grant out as the starters next year.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:00 pm

I need his address so I can send him a bag of...

Spoiler:

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:42 am

Can any of our WRs play CB?

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:45 pm

@SteelersYak wrote:
Can any of our WRs play CB?
As talented as our WR''s are, probably. Too bad we can't draft talented CB''s like we so WR's.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:13 am

Brandon Boykin On 2015 Season With Steelers: ‘It Was Really, Really, Really, Truly Tough’

BY DAVE BRYAN MARCH 30, 2016

The Carolina Panthers signed cornerback Brandon Boykin to a one-year, $840,000 contract on Monday and Tuesday night the Georgia product was a guest on SiriusXM NFL Radio, and he was asked to talk about his new team, which will be his third in three seasons.

“That’s one of the things that was talked about early in my free agency process is somewhere that will be a really good fit for me and I’m sure people have said it, but I wanted to be in Carolina,” said Boykin. “That was one of the top choices for me. So going through the process, I wasn’t really sure if they were interested until we started talking to them and the communication was for days and then we started working it out. So I’m excited it worked out how it did.”

Even though Boykin ultimately wound up signing for the minimum plus an $80,000 signing bonus, he stood firm on his previous comments that not only could he have signed elsewhere for more money, but also that several other teams were interested in his services.

“We were talking to a ton of teams and for me, going through what I did last year, I had to kind of weigh what was most important for me and my career,” said Boykin. “And I thought going and chasing the money is great, like going to find the team that gave me the most money, but for me, this year is crucial for me. I have to be on a team that gives me the best fit, because last year I made a good amount of money, made almost $2 million dollars and sat on the bench for 10 weeks. So my career can’t afford to chase the money and it not be the best opportunity for me.”

After the way Boykin’s 2015 season played out with the Pittsburgh Steelers, it was obvious that he wasn’t going to re-sign with them this offseason. Boykin, who the Steelers acquired via a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles during last year’s training camp, was asked to talk about his 2015 season and why he didn’t get to play as much as he would have liked.

“Honestly, it was really, really, really, truly tough,” said Boykin. “I just was a guy that was trying to get better knowing it was going to get better, knowing at some point it was going to end. It was a frustrating year from doing everything you possibly could do right in practice and people on your team knowing you are balling and you making acrobatic plays, but you just not playing.

“So, I just had to kind of sit back and look at what I wanted the rest of my career to look like. I could have went off and went crazy and started saying crazy stuff and it just wouldn’t have been good for me. It wouldn’t have ultimately helped me end up where I am now for sure. And all I needed was another opportunity and going off and doing crazy stuff wouldn’t help me get that.”

>As for where he expects to play in 2016 with the Panthers, Boykin said he believes he’ll be given a shot at being an every-down player in Carolina.

“Definitely nickel where I’ve been productive and definitely outside,” said Boykin. “They told me they view me as a guy in the mold that can play corner for them. I’ve got all of the qualities, the athletic ability and the things that they look for in outside guys and I’ve been productive at nickel. So I’ll have the ability to do both and compete, and if I’m the best at corner then I’ll be able to play both, and if I’m the best nickel I’ll play there. But really it’s just about me actually having that opportunity to be able to be in and play from day one, because I need that.”

As I wrote on Tuesday, I’m still really surprised that Boykin’s market value this offseason was as low as it was. I’m not surprised, however, that he is still frustrated with the way things went down last season with the Steelers. In closing, it’s probably good for him that he only signed a one-year deal with the Panthers because if he plays as much as he thinks he will in 2016 and as good as he thinks he can, he should then be able to cash-in next offseason during free agency.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/brandon-boykin-2015-season-steelers-really-really-really-truly-tough/

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:27 pm

Labriola puts into words the issues with Boykin.

This is the first time I've read a concrete reason why Boykin wasn't played and is no longer with the team.

http://m.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-Jones-losing-Boykin--Blake/f4259439-f2e3-498b-a180-9995b6e848fd
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:24 pm

@jak341 wrote:

This is the first time I've read a concrete reason why Boykin wasn't played and is no longer with the team.

http://m.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-Jones-losing-Boykin--Blake/f4259439-f2e3-498b-a180-9995b6e848fd

Labriola writes a blind sheep article. Just say Baa and eats what he is fed.

-He uses the "Blake was put in a place he wasn't suited" for excuse. Yes, he is only a special teamer.

-He cites a case late in the season where Boykin didn't tackle CJ Anderson as reason why he didn't play. What about the first 10 games of the season?? How about the 25 tackles he did make in limited play? What about his coverage ability?

That article just says the same vague stuff speculated all season. They traded for a guy that is good in coverage and didn't think tackled well, so they sat him on the bench. Instead they played a guy that was terrible in coverage and missed more tackles than anybody in the NFL.

My guess is that Carnell Lake was a fan of Blake and wanted to give him more chances to rebound because he played physical. Lake likely didn't like Boykin's game because he isn't a physical guy like the prototype Steeler CB, but neglected that Gay, Cockrell and Boykin was the best 3 CB lineup he had.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Panthers sign CB Brandon Boykin (1 year, $840,000): A+ Grade

I've handed out six A+ grades for signings/re-signings this offseason prior to this one. This is the seventh, and it just might be the best of them all.

I can't believe the deal the Panthers are getting. They could've paid Brandon Boykin eight times more than this, and it still would've been an acceptable amount. Boykin is one of the top nickel corners in the NFL. He's also just 26 (in July), so he has a bright future ahead of him. He would've earned a much larger contract, but he barely played for the Steelers, who inexplicably mishandled him. Pittsburgh finally wizened up late in the year, and Boykin predictably thrived, just as he did for Philadelphia previously. This left many wondering - including one reader - why the Steelers didn't have him on the field the entire season.

The Panthers were already one of the top teams in the NFL. One of their few weaknesses was secondary depth, so they're much stronger in that regard now. And they didn't really have to spend anything to make it that way.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#OQDDVz2okOIjZzwT.99

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:50 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

Labriola writes a blind sheep article.  Just say Baa and eats what he is fed.

-He uses the "Blake was put in a place he wasn't suited" for excuse.  Yes, he is only a special teamer.

-He cites a case late in the season where Boykin didn't tackle CJ Anderson as reason why he didn't play.  What about the first 10 games of the season??  How about the 25 tackles he did make in limited play?  What about his coverage ability?

That article just says the same vague stuff speculated all season.  They traded for a guy that is good in coverage and didn't think tackled well, so they sat him on the bench.  Instead they played a guy that was terrible in coverage and missed more tackles than anybody in the NFL.  

My guess is that Carnell Lake was a fan of Blake and wanted to give him more chances to rebound because he played physical.  Lake likely didn't like Boykin's game because he isn't a physical guy like the prototype Steeler CB, but neglected that Gay, Cockrell and Boykin was the best 3 CB lineup he had.  
This article is some crap! Boykin didn't play and was let go cause he missed a couple of tackles and a few plays? Really??? He was probably the best Cover Corner we had. Steelers dropped the ball on this one period! I stI'll believe it had a lot to do with Colson coming back, and the slot CB position was crowded, but give me that he didn't play well enough, crap!!!
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:40 pm

@EbonySteel86 wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

Labriola writes a blind sheep article.  Just say Baa and eats what he is fed.

-He uses the "Blake was put in a place he wasn't suited" for excuse.  Yes, he is only a special teamer.

-He cites a case late in the season where Boykin didn't tackle CJ Anderson as reason why he didn't play.  What about the first 10 games of the season??  How about the 25 tackles he did make in limited play?  What about his coverage ability?

That article just says the same vague stuff speculated all season.  They traded for a guy that is good in coverage and didn't think tackled well, so they sat him on the bench.  Instead they played a guy that was terrible in coverage and missed more tackles than anybody in the NFL.  

My guess is that Carnell Lake was a fan of Blake and wanted to give him more chances to rebound because he played physical.  Lake likely didn't like Boykin's game because he isn't a physical guy like the prototype Steeler CB, but neglected that Gay, Cockrell and Boykin was the best 3 CB lineup he had.  
This article is some crap! Boykin didn't play and  was let go cause he missed a couple of tackles and a few plays? Really??? He was probably the best Cover Corner we had. Steelers dropped the ball on this one period! I stI'll believe it had a lot to do with Colson coming back, and the slot CB position was crowded, but give me that he didn't play well enough, crap!!!

Yeah, i agree. If he couldn't or wouldn't tackle then they wouldn't have traded for him in the first place. I don't buy a couple missed tackles in Denver as reason for not playing him most of the regular season. Late in the season, our coverage improved when Blake went out and Boykin went in: bottom line, at least it appeared to this observer that way. And i saw Blake missing a lot of tackles himself. I'm starting to have my doubts about our backfield coaching.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:29 am

Leaving aside the drama about why Boykin could not get on the field for the Steelers until late in the season, if he was such a gem why did he end up signing a one year contract for vet minimum after drawing virtually no interest in free agency?

Hard to believe the rest of the league would drink the haterade the Steelers coaches are accused of drinking if Boykin really was that good
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Guess the coaches weren't comfortable with him. Yeah, not getting a decent contract elsewhere says something. I don't know what exactly. Anyway, moving on. Looking forward to the draft and to seeing what Senquez golson's got.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:44 am

Yeah, factor in that he didn't feel used in Philly and then saw a lot of bench time with the Steelers, his services probably weren't highly sought. Professionally, as frustrated as he seemed, he did a good job of not blaming the coaches or the team. His comments seemed to fit just about any competitor who wants to get more playing time. And once he joined the Panthers, he would only say that his experience last season was strange ... so he still wasn't throwing anyone under the bus. He wasn't the savior us Steelers fans were hoping for, but good luck anyways.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:15 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
Yeah, factor in that he didn't feel used in Philly and then saw a lot of bench time with the Steelers, his services probably weren't highly sought. Professionally, as frustrated as he seemed, he did a good job of not blaming the coaches or the team. His comments seemed to fit just about any competitor who wants to get more playing time. And once he joined the Panthers, he would only say that his experience last season was strange ... so he still wasn't throwing anyone under the bus. He wasn't the savior us Steelers fans were hoping for, but good luck anyways.

Can't be a saviour when you can't get on the field.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:54 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

Bingo!

A buddy of mine, who is not a Steelers fan so I value his non-biased opinion when it comes to the Steelers, has a theory that Boykin wasn't putting in the effort during practice. Hence the coaches wouldn't start him, but he looked halfway decent during most of his play in games.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:27 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

Bingo!

A buddy of mine, who is not a Steelers fan so I value his non-biased opinion when it comes to the Steelers, has a theory that Boykin wasn't putting in the effort during practice. Hence the coaches wouldn't start him, but he looked halfway decent during most of his play in games.

"It was a frustrating year from doing everything you possibly could do right in practice and people on your team knowing you are balling and you making acrobatic plays, but you just not playing."

Doesn't sound like a guy that wasn't putting in effort in during practice.

He's a Panther now, good for him. #41 is gone, so good for the Steelers. Time to turn the page.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:39 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

Bingo!

"It was a frustrating year from doing everything you possibly could do right in practice and people on your team knowing you are balling and you making acrobatic plays, but you just not playing."

Doesn't sound like a guy that wasn't putting in effort in during practice.

He's a Panther now, good for him.  #41 is gone, so good for the Steelers.  Time to turn the page.

Sounds like a far trade to me ... lose Boykin and get rid of Blake. Somehow losing two guys the Steelers secondary breaks even.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon May 16, 2016 9:39 am

@RapSheet
The #Panthers have released CB Brandon Boykin, who signed in March. Got an $80K signing bonus for 2 months.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/732202334260957184
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon May 16, 2016 9:51 am

@BlackAndGold wrote:
@RapSheet
The #Panthers have released CB Brandon Boykin, who signed in March. Got an $80K signing bonus for 2 months.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/732202334260957184

Released before even seeing the practice fields? I know the Panthers have a large group at CB, but to not even have a chance to compete tells me there's something going on with this guy.

Michael David Smith - NBC Sports wrote:
In March, the Panthers became Brandon Boykin’s third team in eight months. Now Boykin is looking for his fourth team in 10 months.

Read the rest of the article here:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/panthers-cut-brandon-boykin/
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon May 16, 2016 11:35 am

It is obvious someone on the Panthers coaching staff or in the front office is not willing to give him an opportunity Rolling Eyes

OTOH the Panthers are still not afraid of picking up DBs from the Steelers discard pile

The Panthers added another cornerback Monday when they signed Shaq Richardson, who tried out for the team at rookie minicamp over the weekend.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article77848232.html#storylink=cpy
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon May 16, 2016 3:13 pm

BRING HIM BACK, and do right by him this time! That dude was one of the few bright spots in our secondary, and having him back to at least compete can't hurt, unless he's not giving a far chance.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Mon May 16, 2016 3:30 pm

I just don't see us bringing him back since we have Golson and Burns this season.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   

Back to top Go down

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: