HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:16 pm

Steelers CB Brandon Boykin sounds off about former Eagles coach Chip Kelly

By Jeff.Hartman on Jan 1, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers traded a conditional draft pick to the Philadelphia Eagles for Brandon Boykin prior to the 2015 regular season. The former Eagles' CB had some candid words in regards to his former coach in Philadelphia.

It was only a matter of time until ever player who every played for former Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly was asked about his most recent departure from the organization. There are the obvious cast of characters who would be prodded for sound bytes, like LeSean McCoy, but there is a disgruntled employee of the Eagles in the Pittsburgh Steelers locker room who didn't hold back when talking about his former coach.

That player? Cornerback Brandon Boykin, who was traded to the Steelers this preseason for a conditional draft pick. What originally was a 4th round draft pick turned into a 5th round draft pick when Boykin didn't play more than 60-percent of the team's snaps in the regular season.

Boykin sees a clear difference between Kelly, and current coach Mike Tomlin.

"Tomlin treats players like professionals and grown men." Boykin told Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Boykin didn't stop there, but continued talking about Kelly, not only as a coach, but a person and his overall lack of respect for his players.

"I think the players realized that a long time ago," he said. "Now the world knows. You can't trick players or pretend to be someone you're not if the results aren't there. The guys who were man enough to make a difference and do something about it were axed or (Kelly) acted like there were sour grapes or whatever.

"We were telling the truth, and people see that now. We are grown men, and he overlooked that aspect of it. He acted like he was better and smarter than people at his level, and that's where the respect was lost."

There is no love lost between Kelly and many of his players, Boykin included. Especially when it was Boykin who spoke of allegations of Kelly being a racist before leaving the Eagles organization.

Boykin openly appreciates Mike Tomlin, as many players do, but his future in Pittsburgh is certainly uncertain. The veteran cornerback will hit the free agent market this offseason, and the Steelers would be wise to try and bring him back as they could be facing a situation where William Gay, Antwon Blake and Boykin all jettison via free agency.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/1/1/10698808/steelers-cb-brandon-boykin-sounds-off-about-former-eagles-coach-chip

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:47 am

Every time Boykin enters a game, he makes plays. His lack of playing time is truly one of the most puzzling things I can remember in all my years of being a Steelers fan. They have been a better defense with him on the field.....period.

I think they should try to sign him. They gave up a draft pick for him, and he has shown an ability to cover. Going forward, I would like to see Cockrell, Gay, Boykin, and the debut of Golson and a few other secondary draft picks they should acquire this coming draft.

I know he had some character issues, but after seeing what Marcus Peters did for the Chiefs this year, it makes you wonder how he would have fit in the Steelers system. That dude just makes plays and gets interceptions. This team could use a player like that.

This team is one special player in the secondary and a solid edge rusher from being a juggernaut. They are literally only a player or two away. I truly believe that.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:59 am

pczach wrote:
Every time Boykin enters a game, he makes plays. His lack of playing time is truly one of the most puzzling things I can remember in all my years of being a Steelers fan. They have been a better defense with him on the field.....period.

I think they should try to sign him. They gave up a draft pick for him, and he has shown an ability to cover. Going forward, I would like to see Cockrell, Gay, Boykin, and the debut of Golson and a few other secondary draft picks they should acquire this coming draft.

I know he had some character issues, but after seeing what Marcus Peters did for the Chiefs this year, it makes you wonder how he would have fit in the Steelers system. That dude just makes plays and gets interceptions. This team could use a player like that.

This team is one special player in the secondary and a solid edge rusher from being a juggernaut. They are literally only a player or two away. I truly believe that.

Couldn't possibly agree more.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:57 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
pczach wrote:

Couldn't possibly agree more.

Same. I was really frustrated with his lack of playing time earlier in the season when Blake kept getting torched. I really hope that the Steelers are able to sign him and that they didn't burn bridges by keeping him on the bench for so long.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:51 am

[quote="Lokki"]
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Same.  I was really frustrated with his lack of playing time earlier in the season when Blake kept getting torched.  I really hope that the Steelers are able to sign him and that they didn't burn bridges by keeping him on the bench for so long.  

This might what prevents Boykin from being in B&G next season. Something still tells me there is a coach that is not that big of a Boykin fan on the staff and he knows that, so the Steelers may be of the list of potential free agent destinations for him next season.

Its silly too, because he is a young CB with a proven record of success and is showing his value playing here in the slot, which in today's NFL happens a lot, so you need 3 good CB's. Cockrell is an exclusive rights FA, so pencil him in for next season. Golson remains to be seen, but they had high hopes for him, but is he going to play on the outside, or is he the projected next slot CB??
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:24 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Lokki wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Same.  I was really frustrated with his lack of playing time earlier in the season when Blake kept getting torched.  I really hope that the Steelers are able to sign him and that they didn't burn bridges by keeping him on the bench for so long.  

This might what prevents Boykin from being in B&G next season.  Something still tells me there is a coach that is not that big of a Boykin fan on the staff and he knows that, so the Steelers may be of the list of potential free agent destinations for him next season.

Its silly too, because he is a young CB with a proven record of success and is showing his value playing here in the slot, which in today's NFL happens a lot, so you need 3 good CB's.  Cockrell is an exclusive rights FA, so pencil him in for next season.  Golson remains to be seen, but they had high hopes for him, but is he going to play on the outside, or is he the projected next slot CB??

Yeah. He speaks highly of Tomlin though saying that he treats them like men and not like boys, the way that Chip Kelly did. Ultimately though, he's going to go where the money is and I don't think that we will get a "hometown" discount. After trading a pick for him, we should have signed him to an extension there. Even though it will only be a 5th round pick, at least a normal 5th round pick gets a few years on the team/practice squad.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:31 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Lokki wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

This might what prevents Boykin from being in B&G next season.  Something still tells me there is a coach that is not that big of a Boykin fan on the staff and he knows that, so the Steelers may be of the list of potential free agent destinations for him next season.

Its silly too, because he is a young CB with a proven record of success and is showing his value playing here in the slot, which in today's NFL happens a lot, so you need 3 good CB's.  Cockrell is an exclusive rights FA, so pencil him in for next season.  Golson remains to be seen, but they had high hopes for him, but is he going to play on the outside, or is he the projected next slot CB??

Yeah, we don't know what the plan is for Golson. That could determine if they have any interest in keeping Boykin or not. I don't see how this team could not make a play to keep a proven, productive corner in Boykin.

In all my years of playing and watching football, guys that make plays whenever they get on the field play. That's just the way it works. The only exception is when the player they came in to replace because of injury also makes plays when they're on the field. That's what has been so confounding about the use of Boykin. It appears they have not put the best players on the field at the cornerback position based on quality of play. There have been other unknown factors that we don't understand.

That brings me to your point. I don't know that Boykin will even consider coming back to the Steelers after the way he was not used this year, while outperforming whoever he came into the game for. I think it would take a commitment to him, and possibly letting someone go to show that he will be the man at that position. If Golson is going to play outside and start, then either Gay or Boykin would be retained to play the slot. I don't think Boykin will even consider playing here if that is the plan going forward. Unless they move Gay to a corner that rotates in at outside and slot corner. That would make a ton of sense if they get proven corners outside. Gay would be perfect in that role, and the secondary would improve greatly if that were to happen.

Either way, there are many signs that Boykin may not want to be here. I hope we're wrong, because I think he's earned a spot, and he appears to be the best pure cover corner that they have. To think they gave away a draft pick, he performed well whenever he was in the game, and that he wouldn't be in their plans long term just seems wrong.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Lokki wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Lokki wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Yeah.  He speaks highly of Tomlin though saying that he treats them like men and not like boys, the way that Chip Kelly did.  Ultimately though, he's going to go where the money is and I don't think that we will get a "hometown" discount.  After trading a pick for him, we should have signed him to an extension there.  Even though it will only be a 5th round pick, at least a normal 5th round pick gets a few years on the team/practice squad.

What you say makes sense.

I hope he stays here, because I think he can help this team. In the end, Boykin is going to do what's best for him financially and from a playing time standpoint.

Let's hope the Steelers want him, and that he wants to be here. He has shown he can play.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Yeah I'd like to see them bring Boykin back also, although it may have to be at a higher pricetag. Would also like to see them bring in another Corner through a high draft pick as I'm not all that impressed with cockrell. He's only a little better than Blake,

Next year's corners:

1st round corner
William Gay
Boykin
Golson
Grant
Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Steeler-in-west wrote:
Yeah I'd like to see them bring Boykin back also, although it may have to be at a higher pricetag. Would also like to see them bring in another Corner through a high draft pick as I'm not all that impressed with cockrell. He's only a little better than Blake,

Next year's corners:

1st round corner
William Gay
Boykin
Golson
Grant

Actually, I believe Cockrell is a lot better than Blake, and he hasn't been in the NFL as long as Blake has been. Blake is in his fourth year, Cockrell is in his second. IMO he is showing much more ability with much more upside than Blake.

I think there is a good chance he is a starting outside corner next year regardless of who is drafted. He has been solid.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:23 pm

I predict this depth chart. Or rather wish it

Gay
Golson
Boykin
1st rounder
Grant

Cockrell and Blake gone. This is the way the beginning of the 2016 season starts. With the first rounder replacing whoever fucks up first.
Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:27 pm

I can't believe you guys don't think Cockrell is any good. He has only played in 21 games in his career. He might already be the best cornerback on our roster.

I don't understand why you would want to jettison this guy.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:07 pm

pczach wrote:
I can't believe you guys don't think Cockrell is any good. He has only played in 21 games in his career. He might already be the best cornerback on our roster.

I agree with you.

here are the current Pro Football Focus CB rankings: 0-59 replaceable, 60-69 backup, 70-84 starter, 85-89 pro bowler, 90-100 elite

Boykin - 80
Cockrell - 79.1 ranked 30 (out of 121)
Gay -76.3 ranked 40
Blake - 31.7 ranked 118
C. Allen - 30.2

Cockrell is ranked #30 out of 121 CBs, and he's still young and is only going to get better. he's under contract for next season, so he's going to be here whereas Boykin, Blake and Gay are all going to be UFAs...

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:12 pm

pczach wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:

Next year's corners:

1st round corner
William Gay
Boykin
Golson
Grant

Actually, I believe Cockrell is a lot better than Blake, and he hasn't been in the NFL as long as Blake has been. Blake is in his fourth year, Cockrell is in his second. IMO he is showing much more ability with much more upside than Blake.

I think there is a good chance he is a starting outside corner next year regardless of who is drafted. He has been solid.

Just basing on what I've seen he gets picked on just behind Blake and the linebackers,
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:06 pm

pczach wrote:

I do like him, just in my fantasy depth chart Golson proves himself better and Boykin stays in the slot. If any of the CBs we either just drafted or do draft turn out pretty good then Cockrell is good enough to be poached by another team. Maybe get something good in a trade.

Unless Big Play gets let go or retires or something.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Maybe I'm a little too loyal to Will Gay :p He's probably, honestly gonna be the one to go. And Blake please
Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Just to give a comparison of Blake and Cockrell...

Here are Blake's career stats: http://www.nfl.com/player/antwonblake/2534566/careerstats

Here are Cockrell's career stats: http://www.nfl.com/player/rosscockrell/2543799/careerstats

In 61 career games, Blake has 15 passes defended. In his 61 game, 4-year career.

In 21 career games, Cockrell has 10 passes defended, all in the 14 games he played in this year because he hardly played any snaps his rookie year.

Blake had 72 total tackles this year(60 solo, 12 assisted), Cockrell had 43 total(34 solo, 9 assisted). Blake made that many tackles because he was the one opposing offenses always threw at. He was tackling the players he was covering when he gave up catches.

They are not even in the same league.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:56 pm

I remember watching Cockrell pick that sideline throw in the first Baltimore game and knowing right there he was a sharp player. While he has room for improvement, I think he has held up well especially given the spotlight and the expectations, an off season with this team might really give him the chance to work on his game and improve. Overall I like the kid, he's sharp and humble.

Pretty much the polar opposite of Blake ;)

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:10 am

We did get a good pickup with Cockrell, he's been far from perfect but he's young and still has room to grow. Possibly even pro bowl potential, I've seen him cover the likes of demaryius thomas and AJ green step for step, definitely has the physical tools and he's a smart player also
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:41 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Steelers pass defense lives and dies by whether Blake gets beat often enough that the Offense cant outscore the opponent.  Hoping Golson is an upgrade next year and Jeremy Cash finds his way to the Steelers in the draft.

That's true about Blake.

I met Jeremy Cash at the Bronko Nagurski awards this year. He's an outstanding guy ... well spoken and plays a physical brand of football. If they are going Safety, Cash should be their guy. I think CB should be their priority and Desmond King would be a great pick. Of course he'll probably go before the Steelers pick, but he plays the position very well.

Depending on what happens in a few hours, we may be opening a 2016 draft forum.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:47 am

Yeah might as well mail it in so we can pick at like 16 instead of 21

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:52 am

ImperialFan wrote:
Yeah might as well mail it  in so we can pick at like 16 instead of 21

I'd rather we pick at 32 next year,if you know what I mean. Yeah a boatload of miracles.
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:49 pm

Cockrell played very well in the last half today.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Steel Peon wrote:
Cockrell played very well in the last half today.

I think he could turn out to be a good starting CB.

He's usually close to the man he's covering. (Unlike Blake who is usually yards away.)

His biggest weakness IMO, is locating the ball as it approaches the reciever and he reacts a little late.

With more experience and coaching he can improve at that.

I don't think coaching will help Blake stay closer to his man....that's a skill set.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:00 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Steelers pass defense lives and dies by whether Blake gets beat often enough that the Offense cant outscore the opponent.  Hoping Golson is an upgrade next year and Jeremy Cash finds his way to the Steelers in the draft.

That's true about Blake.

I met Jeremy Cash at the Bronko Nagurski awards this year. He's an outstanding guy ... well spoken and plays a physical brand of football. If they are going Safety, Cash should be their guy. I think CB should be their priority and Desmond King would be a great pick. Of course he'll probably go before the Steelers pick, but he plays the position very well.

Depending on what happens in a few hours, we may be opening a 2016 draft forum.

I think King is going to run a relatively slow combine. He is a bit thicker than the average CB, likes contact and gets beat off the jam a bit much, doesn't change direction as well as some of the other prospects and doesn't look as quick twitch as an NFL CB, IMO. I think he will end up being either a slot CB, or there will be talk of him switching to safety.

Lots of CB talent and Cash may grade out in the 2nd round, so I am right now thinking the Steelers go CB in the 1st and hopefully find Cash in the 2nd.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   

Back to top Go down

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: