HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:12 pm

The NFL Network has a series called A Football Life.

Showcasing the lives and careers of legendary players, coaches and executives, NFL Films examines the untold stories of the most influential NFL icons with unprecedented access. Each film tells the story of how their legacy is forever intertwined in the fabric of NFL history.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life

Chuck Noll A Football Life? - no
Bill Cowher A Football Life? - nope
Mike Tomlin A Football Life - nada

But we do have this upcoming episode on one of the truly most influential NFL icons

Bruce Arians: The Quarterback Whisperer

Maybe win a championship as a head coach first?  WTF?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:55 am

Yeah I'm going to have to say that he probably hasn't worked himself up to having an episode of that show about him. I wouldn't call him an NFL legend by any means just yet. I think he's a good Head Coach, and a good leader, but is he deserving of being on the same show as the likes of actual NFL legends? Not yet.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
The_Joker

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:18 am

Obviously, Mike Tomlin deserves an obvious spot.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Back to top Go down
JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:43 am

@The_Joker wrote:

He can't win without Cowher's players

...am I doing this right?

Wallace108: Jon, how the hell do you expect any of us to ever follow your posts? You always set the bar awfully high.  

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
The_Joker

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:50 am

@JonM229 wrote:
@The_Joker wrote:

Something something stunting Landry Jones' development something something hasn't won a Super Bowl in five years something something cookie cutter responses to the media something something.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:00 am

@JonM229 wrote:
@The_Joker wrote:

(you forgot LeBeu's defense...but you did good!)

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:11 am

Isn't Dr. Bennet Omalu, A Football Life coming out soon?

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:21 am

He's doing good now I admit, but he totally sucked it as the Steelers OC. With the talent he had, there's no way we should have consistently finished in the bottom half of the NFL for total offense.
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:34 am

@Fire Arians wrote:
He's doing good now I admit, but he totally sucked it as the Steelers OC. With the talent he had, there's no way we should have consistently finished in the bottom half of the NFL for total offense.

And yet when Arians was here we were 55-25, had five-straight winning seasons, went to the playoffs 4 out of those 5 years, went to 2 SB's and won one of them.

Then, Arians moves on to Indy and goes 11-5 and went to the playoffs (and was voted Coach of the Year),
Then goes to Arizona and went 10-6, 11-5 (and went to the playoffs) and now he's 10-2 and on his way to another post season run.

Yeah, Arians sure sucks alright.  

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:30 pm

@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:

And yet when Arians was here we were 55-25, had five-straight winning seasons, went to the playoffs 4 out of those 5 years, went to 2 SB's and won one of them.

Then, Arians moves on to Indy and goes 11-5 and went to the playoffs (and was voted Coach of the Year),
Then goes to Arizona and went 10-6, 11-5 (and went to the playoffs) and now he's 10-2 and on his way to another post season run.

Yeah how many times did his offense rank in the top 10? I had no idea the OC was 100% responsible for our win/loss record. I suppose having a perrenial #1 defense had nothing to do with those SB titles.
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:47 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:

Yeah how many times did his offense rank in the top 10? I had no idea the OC was 100% responsible for our win/loss record. I suppose having a perrenial #1 defense had nothing to do with those SB titles.

I don't care where his offense ranked - his offenses win and that's what matters more.

And as far as the Number One Defense™️ is concerned (a statistical truth perhaps, but a debatable reality), that may certainly have helped but it can't explain the consistent success Arians continued to have after he left Pittsburgh.

You know it IS possible that the sometimes schizo offense we had back then had more to do with Ben than with Arians, especially since there has been no evidence of that under Arians with either Indy or with Arizona.  I'll admit that our offense is more stable now, but I wonder how much of that is Haley and how much is simply the result of Ben maturing and playing less recklessly.

Why do so many Steeler fans think of Arians as some sort of evil entity?
Why is it so hard for them to simply admit that he's a good coach?

Or do they just miss him?  

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:55 pm

@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:

I don't care where his offense ranked - his offenses win and that's what matters more.

And as far as the Number One Defense™️ is concerned (a statistical truth perhaps, but a debatable reality), that may certainly have helped but it can't explain the consistent success Arians continued to have after he left Pittsburgh.

You know it IS possible that the sometimes schizo offense we had back then had more to do with Ben than with Arians, especially since there has been no evidence of that under Arians with either Indy or with Arizona.  I'll admit that our offense is more stable now, but I wonder how much of that is Haley and how much is simply the result of Ben maturing and playing less recklessly.

Agree to disagree I guess, I'll take this current offense over any shit sandwich he threw together in Pittsburgh.

I don't deny he did a good job after he left us though, but he underachieved for us.
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:05 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:

Agree to disagree I guess, I'll take this current offense over any shit sandwich he threw together in Pittsburgh.

I don't deny he did a good job after he left us though, but he underachieved for us.

Fair enough.

But no matter how wacky it got back then it was a fun five years to watch Steeler football (and the two trips to the SB didn't hurt either).

Here's to the future!

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:37 pm

@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:

Fair enough.

But no matter how wacky it got back then it was a fun five years to watch Steeler football (and the two trips to the SB didn't hurt either).

Here's to the future!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:47 am

@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:

So who gets the credit for Arizona's resurgent offense? Arians or their OC - Harold Goodwin?

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:18 pm

@JonM229 wrote:
@The_Joker wrote:

No....not at all.

Your post should have read Harbaugh can't win WITH Harbaugh's players.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:26 am

I didn't get to watch all of it tonight, but I will say having watched a bit of it. Bruce Arians is a hard guy to dislike. I know his offense stagnated while he was here but the guy is a genuine good human being, and I think he honestly found his niche as a Head Coach. It was interesting to kind of see more of the backstory behind his season with the Colts when he had to take over as the Interim Head Coach while Pagano was fighting off cancer. I respect Arians more now than I did before to be quite honest. I am glad that we decided to part ways with him, it was time, but I'm also glad that he's seemingly found his true calling as a head coach. What he did for the Colts was pretty phenomenal, and he's been doing pretty well down in Arizona.

Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:18 pm

It worked out for both parties. I'm glad Bruce is doing well in AZ and I'm glad Haley who is a cousin of a family friend has done well replacing him.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:50 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I didn't get to watch all of it tonight, but I will say having watched a bit of it. Bruce Arians is a hard guy to dislike. I know his offense stagnated while he was here but the guy is a genuine good human being, and I think he honestly found his niche as a Head Coach. It was interesting to kind of see more of the backstory behind his season with the Colts when he had to take over as the Interim Head Coach while Pagano was fighting off cancer. I respect Arians more now than I did before to be quite honest. I am glad that we decided to part ways with him, it was time, but I'm also glad that he's seemingly found his true calling as a head coach. What he did for the Colts was pretty phenomenal, and he's been doing pretty well down in Arizona.

I am not saying he is a bad person - I just think he aggresively cultivates the media, going back to when he sucked up to Ron Cook at the Post-Gazette - if Noll, Tomlin or Cowher did not get A Football Life and Arians did it is because those head coaches (or in Coach Noll's case his family) who won a Super Bowl would not cooperate with the NFL's propaganda arm (aka NFL Network) while BA (who has not won a playoff game as a head coach) does
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:56 pm

@Atlanta Dan wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I am not saying he is a bad person - I just think he aggresively cultivates the media, going back to when he sucked up to Ron Cook at the Post-Gazette - if Noll, Tomlin or Cowher did not get A Football Life and Arians did it is because those head coaches (or in Coach Noll's case his family) who won a Super Bowl would not cooperate with the NFL's propaganda arm (aka NFL Network) while BA (who has not won a playoff game as a head coach) does

Oh well. The Steelers aren't so much about being in the spotlight anyways. I will say I think Arians being on A Football Life was entirely premature. Maybe later on in his career, but now is too early.

Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:54 pm

@Atlanta Dan wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Yes but that's why the show is called "A Football Life" instead of "A Head Coach's Life".

The show deals with various people in the game of football and how their presence influenced the game or how the game influenced them.
There are many people who have contributed to both football and the NFL who have not won championships or even playoff games.
History and relevance isn't always about records and hardware.

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:33 pm

@FanSince72 wrote:

Yes but that's why the show is called "A Football Life" instead of "A Head Coach's Life".

The show deals with various people in the game of football and how their presence influenced the game or how the game influenced them.
There are many people who have contributed to both football and the NFL who have not won championships or even playoff games.

You are correct - it is not limited to head coaches - A Football Life is described as follows:

Showcasing the lives and careers of legendary players, coaches and executives, NFL Films examines the untold stories of the most influential NFL icons with unprecedented access. Each film tells the story of how their legacy is forever intertwined in the fabric of NFL history.

I know you regard Bruce Arians as central to the success of the Steelers when he was the offensive coordinator, but do you regard him as "legendary" or among "the most influential NFL icons"?

Why not "Ken Whisenhunt - A Football Life"? He also was the offensive coordinator of a Steelers team that won a Super Bowl and was the only Cardinals head coach to get to a Super Bowl.
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:35 pm

@Atlanta Dan wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:

You are correct - it is not limited to head coaches - A Football Life is described as follows:

I know you regard Bruce Arians as central to the success of the Steelers when he was the offensive coordinator, but do you regard him as "legendary" or among "the most influential NFL icons"?  

Why not "Ken Whisenhunt - A Football Life"?  He also was the offensive coordinator of a Steelers team that won a Super Bowl and was the only Cardinals head coach to get to a Super Bowl.

And how do you know that a Football Life installment featuring Ken Whisenhunt isn't in the works?

As far as Arians goes, he's done nothing but win as both an OC and as a Head Coach.  
But more significantly, the list of players who consider him as a friend, a father-figure and mentor is quite long and goes all the way back to his beginnings as a QB coach and extends forward to this day.  
Whether or not that makes him "Iconic" is certainly debatable, but the positive impact he's had on the teams he's been with and the lives he's influenced is certainly such as to be "intertwined in the fabric of NFL history" and thus merit some recognition.

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Ken Whisenhunt is only slightly more likely to get A Football Life episode than you or me
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:15 pm

@Atlanta Dan wrote:
Ken Whisenhunt is only slightly more likely to get A Football Life episode than you or me

Probably true.

But if they ever come up with a show called, "Overweight Balding Weekend Golfer's Life", I'd be expecting a phone call.

PostSubject: Re: Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life   

Back to top Go down

Must See TV - Bruce Arians A Football Life
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: