HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

California Love - the all things relocation thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jak341

PostSubject: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:30 am

I didn't see a thread on this, and it is an important issue. Here is where everything currently stands:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/race-to-l-a---who-has-edge-between-chargers--raiders-and-rams---005459029.html

So, who is going to L.A.? My prediction is the Chargers and Rams and Oakland goes back as the runner up.

One thing is for sure, the NFL better hope LA is starved for football. 2 teams is a lot, especially with both playing in the same stadium.
Back to top Go down
JonM229

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:32 am

Weren't the Rams and Raiders in LA before? How'd that work out last time?

Wallace108: Jon, how the hell do you expect any of us to ever follow your posts? You always set the bar awfully high.  

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:33 am

It's tough to predict but if it's one team, I'd predict STL, they have the most ties to LA of any of these three anyhow. IF two, I'm inclined to agree with you that it will be STL and SD. I can't see both SD and OAK going there. Honestly, I think only one. Really not fair to take two teams out and give LA two teams since we don't even know how they'll do with just one.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:49 am

@ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
It's tough to predict but if it's one team, I'd predict STL, they have the most ties to LA of any of these three anyhow. IF two, I'm inclined to agree with you that it will be STL and SD. I can't see both SD and OAK going there. Honestly, I think only one. Really not fair to take two teams out and give LA two teams since we don't even know how they'll do with just one.

Exactly. Two teams seems a lot. The LA market failed in the past with the Raiders and Rams. It's been over 20 years since the NFL vacated the market. NFL fans in the city found new teams. How many will defect in an era where you can simply order Sunday Ticket and watch your team, and discuss your team over the Internet.

That being said, the NFL should get a team into L.A. It's a huge market. New fans will come, and you will get some convert fans.

2 teams seems a bit overkill though.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 am

@jak341 wrote:

Exactly. Two teams seems a lot. The LA market failed in the past with the Raiders and Rams. It's been over 20 years since the NFL vacated the market. NFL fans in the city found new teams. How many will defect in an era where you can simply order Sunday Ticket and watch your team, and discuss your team over the Internet.

That being said, the NFL should get a team into L.A. It's a huge market. New fans will come, and you will get some convert fans.

2 teams seems a bit overkill though.
It is interesting because as you get it, a lot of those people have found new teams. I guess to use an example. When the Expos moved to D.C and became the Nationals after 30+ years of baseball being absent in Washington, you had some people who switched to the Nats immediately because they never really felt the Orioles were their team especially older people like my cousins and uncles. But you had people like me who weren't alive during the Senators and frankly had a strong loyalty to the Orioles built up in the case of myself 18 years of rooting for them and frankly seeing the now Washington Nats as just another team. May have been different with an expansion team which is why I think the Cleveland area quickly accepted the new Browns not to mention the Browns weren't gone for long. I think the LA area definitely needs a team, it's a huge market though I do feel bad for the city that's going to lose its team here. STL just feels like the oddman out here to me. STL has always been more of a baseball city than football one anyhow and the Rams actually did spend nearly 50 years in LA before relocating to STL. This is an unique situation since you're going to have a team moving back likely. Team loyalty is a fascinating thing as I've gotten at. Maybe Jon can answer this but I wonder who Ravens fans rooted for after the Colts left for Indy in the years before the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Breaking from ESPN: Rams to Inglewood. Chargers have a year to negotiate a deal with Rams.

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:57 pm

@jak341 wrote:
Breaking from ESPN: Rams to Inglewood. Chargers have a year to negotiate a deal with Rams.

Wonder if the owners voting for the Rams get to keep the briefcases in which the cash was delivered?
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:04 pm

I can see the Chargers and Raiders sharing a stadium 16 home games for LA.

a stadium built for football would be a lot better for fans then past games played at Memorial Coliseum stadium.

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:10 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
I can see the Chargers and Raiders sharing a stadium 16 home games for LA.

a stadium built for football would be a lot better for fans then past games played at Memorial Coliseum stadium.

Raiders lost the game of musical chairs - they withdrew their petition to move to LA

Ram are in and Chargers are running the numbers to play in the Stadium the Rams owner will be building
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:13 pm

guess I was wrong NFL 30 to 2 vote in favor of the Rams move to LA.

guess the Rams were smart moving out of Cleveland in 1945.

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:29 pm

I wonder who voted against? Raiders and someone else.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:58 am

Stupid. I feel for the people of St. Louis, they've gone through some down seasons with a horribly mismanaged team ever since Kurt Warner left, and the Rams chose to run with Marc Bulger. Now they're treated to their franchise getting uprooted to run off to California. How many teams does California need?

Sucks for me, St. Louis was one of a few options within reasonable distance to me that I could go to to watch Steelers games since Pittsburgh is something like 16 hours away from me. I could drive on a weekend to St. Louis to watch a game, and now that's one less close venue for me to go to to see my Steelers.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:34 am

Hopefully the Rams go back to wearing their Blue & Yellow uniforms.
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:14 am

Team loyalty is a fascinating thing as I've gotten at. Maybe Jon can answer this but I wonder who Ravens fans rooted for after the Colts left for Indy in the years before the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens.

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:34 am

Maybe Jon can answer this but I wonder who Ravens fans rooted for after the Colts left for Indy in the years before the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens.

Some still rooted for the Colts. Others (especially in Western MD) became Steelers fans. The Steelers were the closest team that wasn't the Redskins or Eagles.

Fun Fact: The scoreboard at M&T Bank Stadium never recognizes the Colts as such. It always reads Indy.

Wallace108: Jon, how the hell do you expect any of us to ever follow your posts? You always set the bar awfully high.  

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:34 am

For those looking for a more "local" feel to the Rams relocation: http://www.ramsondemand.com/forums/rams-nfl-talk.26/

There are a group of Rams fans extremely delighted though: the ones who didn't abandon the team when it moved from L.A.

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:38 am

@JonM229 wrote:
Maybe Jon can answer this but I wonder who Ravens fans rooted for after the Colts left for Indy in the years before the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens.

Some still rooted for the Colts.  Others (especially in Western MD) became Steelers fans.  The Steelers were the closest team that wasn't the Redskins or Eagles.

Fun Fact: The scoreboard at M&T Bank Stadium never recognizes the Colts as such.  It always reads Indy.

I was shocked when I was in B-more a while back and saw Colts merch. being sold at the Inner Harbor. Saw a couple of Colts jersey's around town too.

Loyalty runs strong.

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:40 am

@jak341 wrote:
@JonM229 wrote:

Some still rooted for the Colts.  Others (especially in Western MD) became Steelers fans.  The Steelers were the closest team that wasn't the Redskins or Eagles.

Fun Fact: The scoreboard at M&T Bank Stadium never recognizes the Colts as such.  It always reads Indy.

I was shocked when I was in B-more a while back and saw Colts merch. being sold at the Inner Harbor. Saw a couple of Colts jersey's around town too.

Loyalty runs strong.

I have a friend who is a Chiefs fan. Years ago, they were playing the Colts in a divisional round playoff game. I went with my friend to a bar about 45 minutes outside of Baltimore to watch the game. Most of the crowd there were wearing Colts jerseys.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:30 am

Deadspin sums up

Since Dean Spanos hadn’t planned for this contingency, the NFL has given him one year, until Jan. 16, 2017, to decide if he’ll shack up with the Rams ...

How the hell do you feel if you’re a Chargers fan right now? Disgusted that you might have another full year of not knowing where the franchise’s future lies? Horrified by the very real possibility of the team playing one last lame-duck season in San Diego? Secretly hopeful that something can be worked out and the Chargers can stay? (Never hope. Hoping is how you get hurt.)...

If the Chargers are going to Los Angeles, they’d want to do so soon. No one wants to be a city’s second team, and by waiting a year the Chargers would give the Rams a full year’s head start in selling tickets and building a fanbase.

But if the Chargers do stay (I’m sorry for writing that clause; I’ve never meant to provide anyone hope), Inglewood will likely still get its second team. If the Chargers’ option expires next January, then the Raiders get their own one-year window to relocate to Los Angeles. ...

Owner Mark Davis says that no matter what happens, he’s not content to stay in Oakland....

But where would they go, if not L.A.? San Diego? San Antonio? Asked point-blank where the Raiders will play next year, Davis replied, “America. The world is a possibility for the Raider Nation.”

http://deadspin.com/the-torture-isnt-over-yet-for-chargers-and-raiders-fans-1752683827

Pro football has to be a great game for its owners to survive jerking people around like this
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:34 am

This from LA resident Bill Simmons

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:43 am

Despite the potentially misleading headline, this column is not about the Bengals

Feckless thugs of NFL leave us with just memories

They took St. Louis’ Rams. They’re gone. The feckless thugs in business suits decided St. Louis isn’t suited for the NFL, and just like that, they’re in Los Angeles, as if St. Louis was an annoying, yipping dog they shooed away.

Roger Goodell, whose heart is as black as a hockey puck, saw the St. Louisans trying to save the Rams and essentially laughed....

There was more money to be made, and the NFL went and snatched it. We’re not in a normal world. We’re in the world described and predicted by Ned Beatty’s character in the classic film “Network.”

He screamed and bellowed to get his point across: “There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds and shekels.

“It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today.”

Link to full column

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-feckless-thugs-of-nfl-leave-us-with-just-memories/article_1edbbfeb-72ee-50ac-b1f4-675829353ae2.html?curator=SportsREDEF
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:55 am

It really is interesting since the Rams first left LA for STL and now are leaving STL to go back to LA. I don't know if I've seen anything like that in sports before. Honestly, I do feel for the people of that area who now will be without a team. I do feel the LA area needed a team but it's a shame that it had to come at another area's expense.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:07 am

It really is interesting since the Rams first left LA for STL and now are leaving STL to go back to LA. I don't know if I've seen anything like that in sports before.

Raiders made the round trip from Oakland to LA then back to Oakland - and that was without a change in ownership

That move also featured Al Davis suing the league, which probably is one reason the owners stuck it to his son in yesterday's secret ballot vote that keeps the Raiders stuck in Oakland
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 am

And the saddest part in all of this? St. Louis is now going to be the bargaining chip for owners to get sweeter stadium deals and more public funding.

Any team that wants something? Threaten to move to St. Louis. St. Louis will offer the Edward Jones dome and pony up funding for a new barn in 3-5 years.

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Its pretty cool I guess. I think two teams will be fine. LA has a huge sports market. Works in baseball (angels and dodgers) works I. Basketball (clippers and Lakers) and football really being Americas game now I don't see why it wouldn't work out. I know they would both be new teams but I'm sure LA would love to have a home town team ( or 2) to cheer for. I am glad the Raiders stay in Oakland, they have a decent fan base there and a rich history in that town.

Its to bad for St. Louis but the rams have been mediocre for a long time and out side of St Louis have a pretty small following.

San Diego has been a suffering franchise for a long time. From what I understand they will be only be using the same stadium until 2019 or something like that. Works fine for giants and jets at met life. I love it. I think it will work.

PostSubject: Re: California Love - the all things relocation thread   

Back to top Go down

California Love - the all things relocation thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: