HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

PostSubject: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:58 am

Let's face it ladies and gentlemen, Ben is getting to the point where if he doesn't miss a few games a year due to injury we'd be shocked.

Let's face it, Landry Jones IS NOT the heir apparent.

Let's face it, the make shift front lines Ben has played behind over the last 8 years is going to send him to an early retirement.

Let's face it, Michael Vick certainly isn't going to get the job either.

Let's face it, the Front Office has to start thinking about drafting a QB to take over at some point. When they start doing that needs to be sooner, rather than later.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:20 am

i think that is still a few years away

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:08 am

There are so many ways the search can go. Do you want to pick somebody and have them sit like Rogers? That's worked very well for the Packers. It could work very well for us too. But it never really works that well. Usually there's ugly "Qb controversy" headlines, and people start to boo this guy and that guy.

The time could be closer than we think. All it takes is one hit, and Ben has slowed down a lot the past 5 years. I still think Ben's the guy, and I'm sure most fans do too. But the moment we have somebody who gives us a better chance to win, it's going to be a really hard day for us.

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:35 pm

There's inevitably going to be a lot of pressure on Ben's successor. Rarely ever do you get a transfer from Favre to Rodgers. I wasn't alive when Bradshaw retired but I'm aware of the history of course as a fan and student of the game. I think it's a little too early to draft a long term successor since we just extended Ben but I agree that Vick and Jones aren't the answer. I remember watching videos though on how Kevin Colbert and the FO operate. They scout guys out throughout their college years so who knows perhaps the guy they have in mind to replace Ben is some freshman who stood out this year. I'm sure circa 2000 we never thought our next franchise QB would be a guy who had played receiver for a lot of high school and was going to not even the most famous university of Miami.It'll be a sad day when Ben does retire though. We're slowly losing more and more of guys from the Cowher era- Ben, Heath, Deebo, and Greg Warren I think are the only four left but that's quite amazing in itself.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Let's face it. It will happen. Ben's skills and durability are going to decline. Father time is unconquered.

Realistically, I think Ben has 3-4 years left, with maybe 1 at "peak" performance. I think you will eventually see where Ben just can't get the ball downfield anymore, and any hits result in nagging injuries.

I don't want to see Ben hang on like Manning though. Manning is a shell of himself (regardless of what happens on Sunday). I hope, when Ben's time comes, he rides off into the Sunset head held high. Although, Mr. Tom Brady has said he plans on QBing well into his 40's. I wonder when his time will come...hasn't looked like it yet and he is playing at an extraordinary high level yet.

As for the next, I think it's time we at least consider who is coming up in the drafts. The issue QBs are never a sure thing, but it seems every year the sure-er things are gone within 10 picks. It's going to have to be we trade up into the top 10, and that's usually a king's ransom.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:01 pm

What I don't want to see is another 25 year draught between franchise QB.

While I still think Ben can go, his physical well being is always a concern. Especially with our line.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:21 pm

RG3?
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:54 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
RG3?

Rumor has it there is a lot of interest in RG3 as a QB reclamation project.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:00 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
RG3?

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:42 am

I wouldn't want RGIII, the guy has turned into a self centered crybaby that always wants to be in the limelight. He doesn't take responsibility for his mistakes and missteps. He plays a position that requires a degree of leadership skills, and all he's done so far is prove that leadership isn't a word that's in his vocabulary.

They just need to bring in a decent FA Veteran that can come in, learn the offensive system, and back up Ben. I don't think Vick is that guy going forward. Unless he can demonstrate he can get Haley's complex offense down.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:33 pm

Nate Sudfeld QB Indiana

6-6 240lbs Strong arm traits are there to develop

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:12 pm

People want a QB right now because Ben is hurt, not because it's actually time to get a QB.

Just like every other time ever where Ben got hurt and the "we need his successor" talk started.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:18 am

@PhantomJB93 wrote:
People want a QB right now because Ben is hurt, not because it's actually time to get a QB.

Just like every other time ever where Ben got hurt and the "we need his successor" talk started.

I don't want a QB right now, I want a QB in the wings, who can progress in the system, and when Ben finally decides to retire (or the Steelers decide he's making too much money and he won't take a pay cut), we don't wait another 20 years to get a franchise QB.

I have no problem if Ben finishes out his career here, and it takes another 6 years (or more).

For the record, I've been asking for a different 2nd string QB since before they drafted Landry Jones. But I guess had I gotten my wish, then we'd be resigning a backup for starter money.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:08 pm

@jak341 wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
RG3?

Rumor has it there is a lot of interest in RG3 as a QB reclamation project.

I don't think any of that "interest" can be found in Pittsburgh.....thank the high heavens.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:12 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
RG3?

You mean Bob Griffin?

I don't believe anybody with his resume deserves a nickname. To me he will always be Bob Griffin until he does something in the NFL. With regards to this thread...I would not mind seeing Kevin Hogan drafted in the 5th round. Something about him says he is an NFL QB. Senior bowl week will tell more.
Back to top Go down
WCSteeler

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:40 am

I think the end of Ben is closer than everyone wants to believe, Ben plays dangerously and that won't afford him as much time as QBs who haven't taken as many licks as he has. Bens downfall has been and always will be 'hold on to the ball no matter what's going on around you' and that has brought a lot of great moments and a lot of very costly ones as well. The Steelers thought they had found something with Landry Jones but he isn't going to cut it after all, now the draft is a couple of short months away but using a pick on someone not in the Secondary would be downright stupid. I hope the Steelers can draft the right guy who can sit for a season or two and learn Bens' excellent qualities and discard his bad habits.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:41 pm

I definitely think our next qb should be drafted, not this draft but maybe next. It seems qbs from other teams have trouble learning our system so I think we should have a home grown QB. We never finish low enough to get a top 5 pick so it makes it tough. However it seems like the majority of top QBs in the league were not top 5 picks.

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:54 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
RG3?

You mean Bob Griffin?

I don't believe anybody with his resume deserves a nickname.  To me he will always be Bob Griffin until he does something in the NFL.  With regards to this thread...I would not mind seeing Kevin Hogan drafted in the 5th round.  Something about him says he is an NFL QB.  Senior bowl week will tell more.

You mean Hulk Hogan?

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:32 pm

@KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
RG3?

You mean Bob Griffin?

I don't believe anybody with his resume deserves a nickname.  To me he will always be Bob Griffin until he does something in the NFL.  With regards to this thread...I would not mind seeing Kevin Hogan drafted in the 5th round.  Something about him says he is an NFL QB.  Senior bowl week will tell more.

You mean Hulk Hogan?

Come on man....you cant drop a nickname on the kid yet, he hasn't even been drafted on day 3 yet.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:47 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:

I don't want a QB right now, I want a QB in the wings, who can progress in the system, and when Ben finally decides to retire (or the Steelers decide he's making too much money and he won't take a pay cut), we don't wait another 20 years to get a franchise QB.

I have no problem if Ben finishes out his career here, and it takes another 6 years (or more).

For the record, I've been asking for a different 2nd string QB since before they drafted Landry Jones.  But I guess had I gotten my wish, then we'd be resigning a backup for starter money.
It's not baseball. You can't stuck a QB prospect for 6 years. You don't draft Ben's successor unless you make sure you would force Ben out after 3-4 years.

And whether they draft a QB this year have nothing to do with waiting another 20 years to get a franchise QB.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:05 pm

I think the next Steelers QB should be a Spread Run first, QB with the inside zone run and the inside zone read as the base play of the offense.

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:46 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
I think the next Steelers QB should be a Spread Run first, QB with the inside zone run and the inside zone read as the base play of the offense.

I just hope our coach will be able to handle being around men of that culture.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:46 pm

Ryan Mallet?
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:16 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
While I still think Ben can go, his physical well being is always a concern.  Especially with our line.

How dare you bash the OL, treat the current OC like the previous one was.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 am

@Crash wrote:
How dare you bash the OL, treat the current OC like the previous one was.

Are you lost?

http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t7048-crash-s-official-anti-haley-anti-lebeau-thread-2-0

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it   

Back to top Go down

And the next Franchise QB is....let's face it
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: The Front Office-
Jump to: