HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Super Bowl 50

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:06 pm

@JonM229 wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:
Manning can be occasionally endearing - even funny, but most of the time he's all about arrogance, ego and self-importance; he plays the media to suit his needs and at the end of the day he really doesn't care who gets steamrolled in the process as long as Manning gets what he wants.

It is odd that in commercials, he has no problem making fun of himself, but in reality he seems like the complete opposite.  I guess he'll do just about anything for the fame and fortune.
I think athletes do show they're entertainers in that sense. Honestly, I was shocked to read how Roethlisberger had a really hard time being liked in the early years of his career since he always seemed to me like a pretty good teammate in the sense I never saw him throw teammates under the bus to the media or anything like that. It's funny, I remember when I was a kid in the 90's, my Dad hated two athletes more than any other- Barry Bonds and Charles Barkley. Bonds still is a bit of a jerk but I've come to really appreciate Charles Barkley since he's a very honest guy. I don't always agree with what he has to say but I never get the impression I'm being fed a carefully made up statement. I've also and this disappoints me since I worshiped him growing up (remember I'm a dual O's-Steelers fan) but mixed things about how Cal Ripken, Jr actually is.
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:33 pm

@Atlanta Dan wrote:
As I posted in the thread about Kemo threatening to sue the Steelers, players need to be careful about filing suit, which exposes you to a deposition under oath and civil subpoenas being served on both the player and third parties for records.  That is why threats of filing suit for libel (such as James Harison saying it would not be "worth it") usually are not carried out.

I personally think the use of HGH as well as other PEDs in the NFL is rampant and would not be surprised if Peyton has been a user.

But the reason a story of HGH use by Brady would have greater resonance is because of the history of the organization of which he is a member.  it is like the claim the other owners want to come down on the Pats**** because they are jealous of their success - if that is the case amazing how the other owners have somehow managed to tolerate the Rooneys.

First of all, regarding New England, I think the "history of the organization" is way overblown by the media.
I see Belichick as a guy who probably knows the rules better than the people who wrote them and he doesn't cheat so much as he pushes the envelope to either exploit a rule as much as he can or to simply find out where the boundaries are.

Take Spygate for example, most everyone believes that Belichick got busted for stealing signals but that's not true; he got busted for videotaping signals.
Stealing signals in and of itself is not illegal.  In fact, in a February 2008 article in the New York Times it was pointed out that stealing signals is allowed and Rodger Goodell was quoted as saying, "... it is done quite widely...." and that he's, "... not sure that there is a coach in the league that doesn’t expect that their signals are being intercepted by opposing teams...”

(Here's a link to the article):  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/sports/football/17nfl.html?n=Top%2FReference%2FTimes%20Topics%2FSubjects%2FE%2FEthics&_r=1

Or take the more recent issue involving the playoff game with Baltimore where Belichick was accused of making illegal substitutions.
Belichick probably knew that the substitution was sketchy, but he also knew that all that was required of him was that he report the substitution to the officials (which he did) and after that it's up to them to sort it out.  He probably guessed that the officials weren't 100% sure of what to do in that situation and weren't going to stop the game to consult a rule book and it worked.  The League later confirmed that the ploy was illegal (and I'm assuming New England was fined) but there was no overt flouting of the rules but rather a cunning manipulation of them.

Some people would call that cheating while others (such as myself) consider it to be a clever use of knowledge.

But as far as the owners in general, they all share a common interest in making tons of money for themselves and so even if they suspect something about a team, it's coaching staff, players or its owner, they're all reluctant to point fingers because it would damage "one of their own" and worse still, the blowback could possibly damage them as well.  They're like drug lords who know that someone in the cabal is playing fast and loose with one thing or another but are willing to accept the occasional transgression rather than risking public attention which may end up hurting them all.

I agree that HGH and most likely a host of other drugs are regularly used and abused in the NFL but since it's such a closed system it's relatively easy to shield themselves against controversy or at the very least establish enough plausible deniability to make an investigation difficult if not impossible.

The American political system is run the same way and in many ways the NFL is a microcosm of that system so no one should be surprised that they can't uncover any evidence of "gambling at Rick's".  

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:32 pm

@FanSince72 wrote:

First of all, regarding New England, I think the "history of the organization" is way overblown by the media.
I see Belichick as a guy who probably knows the rules better than the people who wrote them and he doesn't cheat so much as he pushes the envelope to either exploit a rule as much as he can or to simply find out where the boundaries are.

Take Spygate for example, most everyone believes that Belichick got busted for stealing signals but that's not true; he got busted for videotaping signals.
Stealing signals in and of itself is not illegal.  In fact, in a February 2008 article in the New York Times it was pointed out that stealing signals is allowed and Rodger Goodell was quoted as saying, "... it is done quite widely...." and that he's, "... not sure that there is a coach in the league that doesn’t expect that their signals are being intercepted by opposing teams...”

(Here's a link to the article):  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/sports/football/17nfl.html?n=Top%2FReference%2FTimes%20Topics%2FSubjects%2FE%2FEthics&_r=1

With regard to your apparent contention Spygate was business as usual, others disagree.

There is much bitterness about Goodell destroying the tapes.  I guess Roger was paying attention to the Watergate scandal when he was growing up. Apparently better to destroy the tapes and create an unfavorable impression about what might be on them than to allow them to be viewed and remove all doubt what was on them.

ESPN did this takedown last year - excerpts and link to article below

Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and Patriots* apart

Considering NFL currently conducts its investigations or reviews of its investigations -- outsourcing the legwork, allowing it to take months to complete, making the findings public, and almost always losing if the inevitable appeal is heard by an independent arbitrator -- it's striking that the Spygate inquiry lasted only a little over a week, and that Goodell's findings stuck. ...

The Patriots* turned over what they turned over, and the NFL accepted it. Sources with knowledge of the investigation insist that the Patriots* were "borderline noncompliant." And a former high-level Patriots* employee agrees, saying, "The way the Patriots* tried to approach it, they tried to cover up everything,"...

The NFL refused to volunteer information -- teams that had been videotaped were not officially notified by the league office, sources say -- and some executives were told that the tapes were burned in a dumpster, not crushed into pieces in a conference room. The NFL's explanation of why it was destroyed -- "So that our clubs would know they no longer exist and cannot be used by anyone," the league said at the time -- only made it worse for those who were critical.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-Patriots*-apart

It is a long article  - take it at face value or say it is just complaints from  bitter losers - it certainly does not support the contention the Pats* sorry reputation is "overblown."
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm

The Spygate issue was so muddy because the whole concept and practice of stealing signals in the first place has never been officially outlawed by the NFL and in fact is considered part and parcel of the league as a whole.

Belichick didn't do anything new, he just applied a more modern technology to it.

Do you remember the days when George Allen coached the Redskins?
He used to station Pinkerton guards around the perimeter of his practice facility to keep anyone from filming his practices and that was way back in the early 70's so is Spygate really all that new and different?

The article itself says this:

"...Since he entered the league in 1975, Belichick had witnessed the dark side of each decade's dynasties, airbrushed away by time and lore. Football's tradition of cheating through espionage goes back to its earliest days, pioneered by legends such as George Halas. And so when it came to certain tactics -- especially recording signals of a coach "in front of 80,000 people," Belichick would later say, a practice that he claimed other teams did and that former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson once confessed to trying himself -- Belichick considered it fair game..."

The ethical question of course is about whether he was right or wrong in doing what he did.
But the more practical issue is that since such things were being done anyway and had been done since the game began and was in many ways regarded as a time-honored tradition - Belichick was simply applying a modern twist to a century old practice.

Like I said, he pushes the envelope and as anyone who does, the envelope occasionally tears and allows someone to go beyond its confines.  But pushing the envelope is what drives success and maybe Belichick pushes harder than most, but if it were my team I'd rather see that than to have some Dudley-Do-Right running things.

I'm not justifying anything but rather pointing out that Belichick hasn't done a whole lot that hasn't been done by many who came before him and that his tragic flaw is basically that he often doesn't know when to stop pushing.

Oh and as far as "Deflategate" goes, I think the whole issue was a joke and at best an equipment violation that was even more needlessly overblown than Spygate.

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Panthers - 27
Broncos - 16

20-3 at the half and the Bend but don't Break system works again.
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Panthers - 24
Broncos - 20

Denver has a great defense, but I think both Cam and Rivera have more game.

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:25 pm

imo Wade Phillips is going to mix up his defensive coverages and confuse Cam and the Broncos fast front 7 will mop up the Panthers running game. Cam throwing a couple of costly INTs Cam is a strong runner but not a fast one. Attack Cam he is the Panthers offense but the Broncos have to stay in there gaps when rushing Cam make Cam a pocket passer. not real impressed with the Panthers WRs I think the Broncos DBs have the advantage tight coverage all game.

imo the Broncos o-line knows this could be Manning's last game and are going to be pumped and be some blocking mother Fer's. the Broncos have Sanders and Thomas 1000 plus yards WRs which one will the Panthers defense will try to double cover? and the Broncos have TE Owens who will catch some balls. those 3 can keep the Panthers from stacking the box.

Remember this won't be the 4 wide Manning throwing the ball all the time offense this is going to be a Kubiak / Dennison ball control offense with some 2 TEs and with a running game. The Broncos have a couple of good RBs Hillman and Anderson.

imo the Broncos offense will be short passes and run plays to protect Manning with some deep passes down field.

I see the Broncos winning this slug fest late in the 4th with the help of a INT from a confused Cam if the Panthers try to run Cam to much the Broncos defense will hurt him.

Not a Manning fan or on the bandwagon with Superman Cam.

did I say I like Wade Phillips 3-4 defense and Cam might not see where the blitz might or might not come from?

look at the Schedule of the Panthers the NFC South?

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Go Panthers!

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:08 pm

robbed

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Denver's defense won that game for them, and all anybody can talk about is Peyton Manning.
Back to top Go down
JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:50 pm

@Steeler Zach wrote:
Denver's defense won that game for them, and all anybody can talk about is Peyton Manning.

It's their last chance for Manning ball washing

Wallace108: Jon, how the hell do you expect any of us to ever follow your posts? You always set the bar awfully high.  

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:56 pm

puppy monkey baby puppy monkey baby puppy monkey baby

Wade Phillips defense came to play 7 sacks and the win.

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:01 pm

Some of the credit goes to Carolina for shitting the bed.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:16 am

I'm starting to think the NFL is fixed, making manning go out a winner sure made more sense money wise

Carolina destroying everybody made them a good 'smart money' bet, then they all of a sudden shit the bed against the broncos? fishy if you ask me
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:50 am

No QB could survive facing that kind of pressure. Congrats the Broncos!
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:04 am

@Fire Arians wrote:
I'm starting to think the NFL is fixed, making manning go out a winner sure made more sense money wise

Carolina destroying everybody made them a good 'smart money' bet, then they all of a sudden shit the bed against the broncos? fishy if you ask me
Remember when Ben threw back to back 6 TD's, and all week all I heard on the radio is how facing the Jets was a trap game. It looked to me that Steeler players threw the game and I said something about Vegas and was basically called an idiot.
I'm seeing more and more shit that looks like Vegas crap all over it.
$$$ talks.
Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:19 am

The Broncos have an excellent defense. They controlled everything and were awesome.

Carolina's defense controlled everything for nearly the entire game. They were pretty dominant.

Cam Newton and that "unstoppable" offense, didn't get it done. Too many turnovers, penalties, and mistakes.

Denver destroyed the Panthers in all aspects of special teams.

The most disappointing thing was in the post game press conferences. Cam Newton was giving lots of one word answers, and then said he's done and walked out.

He just hurt himself so much in the eyes of many, including myself. He wants to let everyone know how great he is. He loves doing his 20 second celebrations. He loves to do his Superman pose. He tells everyone that if they want him to stop doing it, to stop him.......He was stopped.

Instead of tipping his cap to the Broncos, showing class, and standing up there like a man and a leader by answering questions and owning the loss, he acts like a spoiled brat and the show pony that many thought he was before this game.

That was very disappointing.

If you want all the credit when you win, you better be able to accept defeat and a large portion of the blame when you lose.

He still hasn't learned that how you lose and how you handle it sometimes defines you more than how you win. He still doesn't handle adversity well, and didn't show much leadership on the field or off.

It's a shame. I really wanted the Panthers and Cam to win to see some new blood get a championship. Cam showed why they weren't ready to win.

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:14 am

@pczach wrote:
The Broncos have an excellent defense. They controlled everything and were awesome.

Carolina's defense controlled everything for nearly the entire game. They were pretty dominant.

Cam Newton and that "unstoppable" offense, didn't get it done. Too many turnovers, penalties, and mistakes.

Denver destroyed the Panthers in all aspects of special teams.

The most disappointing thing was in the post game press conferences. Cam Newton was giving lots of one word answers, and then said he's done and walked out.

He just hurt himself so much in the eyes of many, including myself. He wants to let everyone know how great he is. He loves doing his 20 second celebrations. He loves to do his Superman pose. He tells everyone that if they want him to stop doing it, to stop him.......He was stopped.

Instead of tipping his cap to the Broncos, showing class, and standing up there like a man and a leader by answering questions and owning the loss, he acts like a spoiled brat and the show pony that many thought he was before this game.

That was very disappointing.

If you want all the credit when you win, you better be able to accept defeat and a large portion of the blame when you lose.

He still hasn't learned that how you lose and how you handle it sometimes defines you more than how you win. He still doesn't handle adversity well, and didn't show much leadership on the field or off.

It's a shame. I really wanted the Panthers and Cam to win to see some new blood get a championship. Cam showed why they weren't ready to win.

I was looking at the Panthers message boards when Cam had that strip sack. Their fans were livid when he didn't make an attempt to recover the fumble late in the 4th.

As much as they say Cam has matured into a leader, he still has a lot of growing there.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:22 am

Cam probably cost himself endorsement $$$ with his post game performance - he handled the Super Bowl week questions well but now has revived all of the maturity questions

If Cam's image is not going to set him up as a mega-endorser, the question is who inherits the crown of NFL endorser from Peyton if not Peyton - it may be with changes in advertising that nobody becomes America's shill to replace Peyton

The claim from Peyton he was "going to drink  lot of Budweiser" in his post game interview was a fitting last chance for him to plug a product  Budweiser denies it was anything but a spontaneous endorsement of their wonderful beer but I doubt it

An obviously delighted Budweiser said it had no part in this impromptu promo...

[In 2014] it emerged from Beer Business Daily that Manning has a stake in two Louisiana Anheuser-Busch distributors, though ESPN reported that the company was unable to confirm on Sunday if the football player still had those stakes.

And Budweiser wasn’t the only company to benefit from the Manning touch. Plenty of tweets circulated showing pictures and videos of Manning kissing John Schnatter, chief executive officer and spokesman for Papa John’s International after Sunday’s win:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/peyton-manning-handed-budweiser-32-million-in-free-ads-after-the-super-bowl-2016-02-08
Back to top Go down
Vis

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:03 am

@Atlanta Dan wrote:
Cam probably cost himself endorsement $$$ with his post game performance - he handled the Super Bowl week questions well but now has revived all of the maturity questions

If Cam's image is not going to set him up as a mega-endorser, the question is who inherits the crown of NFL endorser from Peyton if not Peyton - it may be with changes in advertising that nobody becomes America's shill to replace Peyton

The claim from Peyton he was "going to drink  lot of Budweiser" in his post game interview was a fitting last chance for him to plug a product  Budweiser denies it was anything but a spontaneous endorsement of their wonderful beer but I doubt it

[In 2014] it emerged from Beer Business Daily that Manning has a stake in two Louisiana Anheuser-Busch distributors, though ESPN reported that the company was unable to confirm on Sunday if the football player still had those stakes.

And Budweiser wasn’t the only company to benefit from the Manning touch. Plenty of tweets circulated showing pictures and videos of Manning kissing John Schnatter, chief executive officer and spokesman for Papa John’s International after Sunday’s win:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/peyton-manning-handed-budweiser-32-million-in-free-ads-after-the-super-bowl-2016-02-08

Peyton was a great QB but by his taste in beer and pizza, he's had too many concussions and needs to retire.

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:12 am

@Vis wrote:
@Atlanta Dan wrote:

Peyton was a great QB but by his taste in beer and pizza, he's had too many concussions and needs to retire.

Quoted for truth! I hope Peyton's ready to start pimping Depends Undergarments in retirement considering his consumption choices.

-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:29 am

What's the general consensus on Cam's lack of effort in going for that ball he fumbled? I could not believe my eyes when it happened. I have never seen anything like that before. Has anyone else? I really can't imagine ANY (even Jay Cutler, Jeff George, etc.) NFL quarterback not diving in there and fighting like mad for that ball.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:32 am

@Rhyno wrote:
What's the general consensus on Cam's lack of effort in going for that ball he fumbled? I could not believe my eyes when it happened. I have never seen anything like that before. Has anyone else? I really can't imagine ANY (even Jay Cutler, Jeff George, etc.) NFL quarterback not diving in there and fighting like mad for that ball.

The consensus was that that particular ball was made of Kryptonite.

-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:35 am

@Vis wrote:
@Atlanta Dan wrote:

Whatever pays the bills - but I have seen worse - when he was the king of endorsers the biggest disconnect I ever saw between an endorser and the product was Tiger Woods shilling for Buick
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:43 am

@Rhyno wrote:

He is a getting killed for it - pouting through his postgame presser did not help

Newton bent at the waist and stepped toward it, and then straightened and stepped away from it, apparently wanting no part of a collision with Ware....

I wonder how proud Newton’s buddies and teammates and coaches are of out what their leader did on that play, not that they would ever likely say it.

They’re out there competing their eyebrows off in the biggest game of their lives, and the MVP steps away from a loose ball as though he were still wearing the $850 Versace slacks in which he boarded the plane to California.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/gene-collier/2016/02/08/It-ll-be-hard-to-forget-what-MVP-Newton-did-in-loss/stories/201602080083

Even Phil Simms (who really needs to be fired) called him out during the broadcast - has to be pretty bad for Simms and Nantz to say something unfavorable

"When you see that football on the ground no matter what the situation is, you have to get in there and get that recovery. Because not getting that recovery almost takes your chance of winning this football game away."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/raissman-review-simms-nantz-jump-cam-article-1.2523712

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Bowl 50   

Back to top Go down

Super Bowl 50
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: