HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
schillah

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:39 pm

@PhantomJB93 wrote:
I wish we didn't sign DHB.  People can hate on Mike Wallace and trash his character all they want for chasing the money, but he was effective as hell here and never broke any rules.  We could have had him on an absolute steal of a contract right now but with DHB locked up there's no chance they do it.

Wallace was soft to me and had stone hands some games.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:07 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
yup i guess coates has to step up and wheaton needs to be given an extension at some point

I agree....but were there not fans on this board questioning Wheaton's lack of production last season??

Time to see Coates step up and Eli Rogers, Shakim Phillips fight for a roster spot.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:09 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
yup i guess coates has to step up and wheaton needs to be given an extension at some point

I agree....but were there not fans on this board questioning Wheaton's lack of production last season??

Time to see Coates step up and Eli Rogers, Shakim Phillips fight for a roster spot.

I'm fine with Wheaton, his production is good for a #3 WR. I'm not sold on him being a #2, but I think Coates has the tools to be. Wheaton COULD be #2 material if he was more consistent. At times he was feast or famine.

In the same amount of time with us, his stats are better than Emmanuel Sanders in his 1st-4th years with us, so who knows. He may just be a slow bloomer like sanders was
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:19 pm

The year suspension is not a done deal yet. Lets hope rehab can fix him and he gets a reduced suspension. He's too good. Its not all over yet. I also know the steelers don't tolerate too much of this stuff. anyway, still in a wait and see mode. Wheaton as the number 2 or an unproven Coates, might be ok but it doesn't inspire the same confidence.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Seriously who the heck goes to rehab for weed? Quitting the shit was easy as hell. I smoked in HS and had to quit to join the military and never got caught on a test, cause I never did it again.

Quitting cigarettes on the other hand was a diff story, but anyone needing to go to rehab for weed is a mental midget, especially if they have a job that's netting them millions. sorry I'm not optimistic on him ever having much of an NFL career without getting busted and thrown out again
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:29 pm

@WCSteeler wrote:
@rellimie wrote:
@WCSteeler wrote:
What is with the Steelers and asshole WRs?  This is a reoccurring theme that is really bothersome with Wideouts and to a lesser extent RBs,  does this team need some old school leadership or what? I realize that its all over the
Nfl but seems to plague this team especially. Its sh*% like the "young money crew" that cause young guys to feel untouchable.

What history?  You will need to refresh my memory on the reoccuring WR draft picks that are assholes.  Overall I think they have done very well.  
Plaxico, Santonio, Bryant

I don't recall Plaxico ever getting in trouble when he was with the Steelers (I could be wrong).

Bryant and Holmes...you named 2.

Brown, Wheaton, Coates, Sanders never got into trouble.

Just not sure how two guys picked 8 years apart qualify as them constantly drafting asshole WRs.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:49 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
Seriously who the heck goes to rehab for weed? Quitting the shit was easy as hell. I smoked in HS and had to quit to join the military and never got caught on a test, cause I never did it again.

Quitting cigarettes on the other hand was a diff story, but anyone needing to go to rehab for weed is a mental midget, especially if they have a job that's netting them millions. sorry I'm not optimistic on him ever having much of an NFL career without getting busted and thrown out again

Agreed about pot not being that hard to quit - speaking from experience you just drink more

His agent is now putting out the story that Bryant is depressed and that this is the cliched "cry for help."

Looking back on the end of the regular season drop off in Bryant's productivity and Bryant missing practice for several days before the Browns game, in which I recall he then was pulled after running the wrong route on an INT, my admittedly wild guess is he started baking again around the holidays. After that he stayed home with the covers pulled over his head in week 17 because he knew he would fail the tests for which he failed to appear or fill up a specimen cup at home.

Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:16 pm

@rellimie wrote:
@WCSteeler wrote:
@rellimie wrote:
@WCSteeler wrote:
What is with the Steelers and asshole WRs?  This is a reoccurring theme that is really bothersome with Wideouts and to a lesser extent RBs,  does this team need some old school leadership or what? I realize that its all over the
Nfl but seems to plague this team especially. Its sh*% like the "young money crew" that cause young guys to feel untouchable.

What history?  You will need to refresh my memory on the reoccuring WR draft picks that are assholes.  Overall I think they have done very well.  

I don't recall Plaxico ever getting in trouble when he was with the Steelers (I could be wrong).

Just not sure how two guys picked 8 years apart qualify as them constantly drafting asshole WRs.

Well whether Plaxico had legal trouble while @ Steelers doesnt dismiss that he was drafted by the Steelers and at the same time, kind of a douche of a player. So he counts.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:36 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:

I'm fine with Wheaton, his production is good for a #3 WR. I'm not sold on him being a #2, but I think Coates has the tools to be. Wheaton COULD be #2 material if he was more consistent. At times he was feast or famine.

In the same amount of time with us, his stats are better than Emmanuel Sanders in his 1st-4th years with us, so who knows. He may just be a slow bloomer like sanders was

Brown and Wheaton are fine as a 1-2. Coates was drafted in case something like this happened and Green now brings another receiving threat. DHB is insurance and I hope Eli Rogers can recover from the injury and become another slot WR that makes the 53. Face it, if you can run a pattern and catch...Ben can make a WR look good.

I hope Bryant can win an appeal, but something tells me he is gone for the year and might be throwing away a career that thousands of guys are grinding for. Its a shame to see somebody waste the gift.
Back to top Go down
SteelCity4Life

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:19 am

Cussing at something like this, is absolutely okay.

It's aggravating that the guy is throwing his career away over pot.

I tend to think "get rid of him now!" and then think back to his clutch catches and think "god damn it!!"

Luckily, WRs are expendable and we have other options on our hands.

Bryant disappoints me. He really does.

Stuck in a SE Ohio Tech. school with a bunch of high schoolers.
Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:55 am

Seeing Bryant potentially throw away a chance at a great career and a ton of money is very sad and disappointing. He is costing himself millions of dollars that he will never get back, and is putting his career in football in danger.

Seeing him selfishly betray his team going into a season where they are one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl is maddening, but let's not get carried away with criticism of the organization.

Man, if Steelers fans are going to bitch about the wide receivers they have drafted, they will never be satisfied with anything they do. They have done a better job of consistently drafting wide receivers than anyone else in football, particularly later in the draft since Colbert got there.

The fact that a few of them have had some issues with weed over a long period of time doesn't make me question anything they're doing. The fact that they have an athletic animal sitting on the bench like Sammy Coates is astounding. Other teams would be dead in the water, but because they have a great quarterback in Ben and the ability to draft great WR talent, they will continue to succeed.

Coates will drop a few balls and will probably make a bunch of mental mistakes, but if some of you aren't aware of his athleticism and playing ability...you are going to be shocked at his speed, power, and run after the catch ability. He's another physical freak with incredible size, strength, and speed.

Other teams would kill to have someone that talented as a backup when an injury or suspension occurs.

If Coates shows he can really play, teams will be lining up to trade for Bryant. Bryant will also know that Coates is right there, maybe even starting ahead of him to keep him on his best behavior.

I know it sucks for the team and us because there are big expectations this year, but I still think they can contend for a championship without Bryant.

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:12 am

This loss Just adds more importance to keeping leveon healthy through the season.

Just bryant....is manageable but we're going to need both antonio and leveon to go all the way imo.

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:16 am

His agent said he's been dealing with depression, but is clean. And, he said that Bryant didn't fail a test, just missed a test. But a miss is a failure to comply.

He's checking into rehab, if he's truly clean and dealing with depression, I'm hoping the Rooney's stick by him.
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:39 am

@KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
@rellimie wrote:
@WCSteeler wrote:
@rellimie wrote:
@WCSteeler wrote:

Well whether Plaxico had legal trouble while @ Steelers doesnt dismiss that he was drafted by the Steelers and at the same time, kind of a douche of a player. So he counts.

Even if you count him which I don't think you should, that's 3 over 16 years.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:46 am

@Steeler-in-west wrote:
The year suspension is not a done deal yet. Lets hope rehab can fix him and he gets a reduced suspension. He's too good. Its not all over yet. I also know the steelers don't tolerate too much of this stuff. anyway, still in a wait and see mode. Wheaton as the number 2 or an unproven Coates, might be ok but it doesn't inspire the same confidence.

What I read is that he is depressed. I'm going to go out on a limb and defend him. The fact is rich or poor,having the world on a string,whatever. Depression has no respect and for the most part depressed people don't get any either.

I've had bouts with it my entire life and I can tell you from experience it sucks because you feel like no one can help. Whatever happens next I hope he gets his life back together and gets past this without killing himself. Whether he ever plays another down for us or anyone else I still wish him well.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:48 am

It's likely that he didn't actually fail the test and instead he missed the test. If he failed he should be suspended for 10 games, not a full season. But failure to cooperate with testing, treatment, evaluation or other requirements would give you a full year suspension according to the policy.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:34 am

@solardave wrote:
@Steeler-in-west wrote:

What I read is that he is depressed. I'm going to go out on a limb and defend him. The fact is rich or poor,having the world on a string,whatever. Depression has no respect and for the most part depressed people don't get any either.

I've had bouts with it my entire life and I can tell you from experience it sucks because you feel like no one can help. Whatever happens next I hope he gets his life back together and gets past this without killing himself. Whether he ever plays another down for us or anyone else I still wish him well.
If that's the case, I'll defend too. Like yourself, I've experienced it too.
Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:54 am

@solardave wrote:
@Steeler-in-west wrote:

Yep. If the kid's got real emotional problems, I hope he can be helped and that the team backs him to help him get through it. Football becomes secondary to life.

We all get angry and react on a personal level because it hurts the chances of the team we love, but there is no question the person he is hurting the most is himself.

I wish nothing but the best going forward for Martavis and his family.

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:36 pm

So, with the status of Bryant in question, who replaces him. An interesting, but purely speculative, blog about potential replacements.

http://fansided.com/2016/03/12/nfl-rumors-5-replacements-for-martavis-bryant/
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Bottom line is the steelers still have a core of solid pass catchers

Brown
Wheaton
Coates
Heyward-Bey
Green
James
Back to top Go down
marvology
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:57 pm

Honestly, I think I need to start smoking weed if the shit is THAT good

OW MY BALLS!
Back to top Go down
http://www.marvbook.com
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:59 pm

Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:59 pm

@jak341 wrote:
So, with the status of Bryant in question, who replaces him. An interesting, but purely speculative, blog about potential replacements.

The answer is #5 on the list, Sammie Coates. No way Steelers would sign any FAs like Percy Harvin.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:02 pm

@marvology wrote:
Honestly, I think I need to start smoking weed if the shit is THAT good

It's pretty good. But not THAT good. There's no physical dependency and even though there's a mental dependency that basically goes like this..

"This movie is good but it would be way better if I were high"
"This pizza is good but it would be way better if I were high"
"Sitting here is getting boring, time to go get high"

That sort of "dependency" should be able to be broken by being offered millions of dollars. Should. If hes dealing with depression though, well marijuana is like the perfect band aid. Its doesnt cure it, but treats it fantastically.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:11 pm

@jak341 wrote:

No one can replace his skill set. I haven't seen a guy that big, separate from defensive backs, the way he does since Randy Moss. If Bryant didn't have issues, and dedicated himself like AB does, he could be the best receiver in football. That is how good he is.

I think Sammie Coates is his replacement. I believe he showed how good he can be early with very little opportunity. We should see how well he can play this preseason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    

Back to top Go down

Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: