HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Blake to the Titans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:17 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

You're kind of ignoring the fact he was playing hurt most of the season. He was decent the season prior, got worse with the injury, and got better at the end of last season when he'd recovered somewhat.

Blake hurting his thumb does not explain why he gave 12 yard cushions and got in "bail technique" immediately to allow easy receptions. If he had a leg injury I buy that. It also doesn't explain why he turned his back on WR's in "bail" when they gave him a double move and he lost them for more easy receptions.

If an injury hurt his play, he should have been replaced before allowing career games to WR's. He was a special teamer that Carnell Lake liked and started at CB. In Tennessee he will be a special teamer playing special teams. Buh-Bye Blake.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:16 pm

I have to think he was doing what he was asked to do. I don't think he was out there freelancing. Some of the blame for guys playing too far off has to be on Keith Butler.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:14 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I have to think he was doing what he was asked to do. I don't think he was out there freelancing. Some of the blame for guys playing too far off has to be on Keith Butler.

A CB can play "off man" and be in his backpedal and in position to break on the football when the QB "opens his shoulders". But when he turns and runs in the same direction in "bail technique", he has to turn 180 degrees to break on the football. He didn't always play in bail, but he often gave up easy receptions.

Many apologists like to try and deflect and blame the coach. Doesn't matter if its LeBeau, Butler, Lake, etc. Antowan Blake was a sub standard CB, with sloppy technique, who consistently was abused.

My favorite football team just got better, because their starting CB signed somewhere else!!! Nobody can take away the joy I feel as a Steeler fan for over 35 years!!
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 am

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:09 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

A CB can play "off man" and be in his backpedal and in position to break on the football when the QB "opens his shoulders".  But when he turns and runs in the same direction in "bail technique", he has to turn 180 degrees to break on the football.  He didn't always play in bail, but he often gave up easy receptions.

Many apologists like to try and deflect and blame the coach.  Doesn't matter if its LeBeau, Butler, Lake, etc.  Antowan Blake was a sub standard CB, with sloppy technique, who consistently was abused.  

My favorite football team just got better, because their starting CB signed somewhere else!!!   Nobody can take away the joy I feel as a Steeler fan for over 35 years!!

First off, for the record I am not an apologist. I too am actually happy Blake is gone, I just simply don't believe that he deserves the sheer amount of hate that's been thrown his way. Some of the blame rests squarely on his shoulders, without a doubt, but not all of his struggles this season were his fault. The kid played hurt, and when you're out there playing hurt you're not going to produce at the same level... That much was obvious from the decrease in production after the injury, to the increase in production and better play after he healed. And let's face it, he was a backup player, being asked to play a starting role. I think Blake will offer good depth to the Titans, and could be good on special teams. That being said, I too am glad that he's gone because I think they waited far too long to give Brandon Boykin a chance. The whole Boykin situation last season was beyond awkward.

Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:36 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Blake got a lot of flak, some of it rightfully so. Some of it though was people being a little harsh. He did injure his hand last season, and there was a discernible drop off in his play after that injury. He got better after it healed up and played much better to close out the season.

I wish him luck in Tennessee. He's a hard working kid, and I think sometimes we as Steelers fans can be a bit harsh on these younger guys because we're used to seeing guys like Ike Taylor who shut guys down week in and week out.

I rarely disagree with you Iowa, particularly to the extent I do regarding Blake.

Blake's issues weren't just his hand injury. His hips, technique, inability to stay inside a receiver's pocket and inability to win with leverage on in/out-routes was always an issue. The only thing his hand injury hindered was his only redeeming quality in his tackling ability.

Blake had to play 10 yards off of receivers not only because of his injury, but because he was utterly useless otherwise. When he was healthy, he would lose immediately at the line of scrimmage because of poor technique. His inability to jam or be physical with receivers at the line was... bad. You're taught this in your freshman year of high school.

I also heavily disagree with the sentiment that he played better during the stretch as he started the final four games of the season and was benched due to poor play after halftime. The game against the Broncos was a key example of this. Osweiler picked on him consistently for the entirety of the first half. When Blake was benched in favour of putting Gay and Cockrell on the boundary with Boykin in the slot, Osweiler couldn't move the ball. The only explosive play allowed in the second half against the secondary was one of Blake's two (two!) defensive snaps in the second half.

Blake, like many other before him, captured the hearts of some in this fanbase as a "blue collar"-type player. A scrappy underdog with some upside. Unfortunately, the reality for Blake was simple: he's a special teams player that, at best, should be a rotational dime defensive back. If he plays anywhere else on defense he's a liability. He struggles in zone and struggles in man. He has poor technique and incredibly stiff hips which leads to easy completions and deep-ball completions.

The secondary isn't good, but it's better now that he won't be a part of it.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:05 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Blake got a lot of flak, some of it rightfully so. Some of it though was people being a little harsh. He did injure his hand last season, and there was a discernible drop off in his play after that injury. He got better after it healed up and played much better to close out the season.

I wish him luck in Tennessee. He's a hard working kid, and I think sometimes we as Steelers fans can be a bit harsh on these younger guys because we're used to seeing guys like Ike Taylor who shut guys down week in and week out.

I rarely disagree with you Iowa, particularly to the extent I do regarding Blake.

Blake's issues weren't just his hand injury. His hips, technique, inability to stay inside a receiver's pocket and inability to win with leverage on in/out-routes was always an issue. The only thing his hand injury hindered was his only redeeming quality in his tackling ability.

Blake had to play 10 yards off of receivers not only because of his injury, but because he was utterly useless otherwise. When he was healthy, he would lose immediately at the line of scrimmage because of poor technique. His inability to jam or be physical with receivers at the line was... bad. You're taught this in your freshman year of high school.

I also heavily disagree with the sentiment that he played better during the stretch as he started the final four games of the season and was benched due to poor play after halftime. The game against the Broncos was a key example of this. Osweiler picked on him consistently for the entirety of the first half. When Blake was benched in favour of putting Gay and Cockrell on the boundary with Boykin in the slot, Osweiler couldn't move the ball. The only explosive play allowed in the second half against the secondary was one of Blake's two (two!) defensive snaps in the second half.

Blake, like many other before him, captured the hearts of some in this fanbase as a "blue collar"-type player. A scrappy underdog with some upside. Unfortunately, the reality for Blake was simple: he's a special teams player that, at best, should be a rotational dime defensive back. If he plays anywhere else on defense he's a liability. He struggles in zone and struggles in man. He has poor technique and incredibly stiff hips which leads to easy completions and deep-ball completions.

I agree! He's not good! I'm just trying to say that people are being extremely harsh on the kid. Like I've said before he's a backup out there being asked to perform like a starter. I don't think he was ever starting material in the NFL. All I'm trying to say is that we as fans need to lay off of him, he's just a kid. He doesn't deserve the kind of hate, and vitriol he's had thrown his way. That's not to say you guys are throwing the hate and vitriol, but I've read some pretty horrible things from so called fans around the internet just tearing this kid apart. We have to realize at some point these players are human beings. He's gone, instead of celebrating let's be classy and bid him good luck and farewell.

Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:15 pm

agree, people were a little hard on him. It's hard to say what happened with him. He has obvious limitations that will keep him from being a great NFL player, but should have been a good addition to a team if used correctly. Having him start 16 games while getting worse and worse is fine if you have nobody better or believe he will improve in the future and are investing in him. I don't get what happened with him vs Boykin this past year. The world may never know...

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:56 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Very Well said!!!

People were harder on Chad Scott than Antowan Blake. But, like you said, the scrappy UDFA captures the hearts of the fanbase, but the 1st round pick that played 11 NFL seasons is vilified, because he never made a pro bowl.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Titans' fans will soon learn to love Antwon Blake as much as Steelers' fans already do:

John Glennon ‏@glennonsports

Per @PFF, #Titans CB Antwon Blake gave up six catches for 113 yards and a TD on Sat., surrendering a reception every time targeted.

https://twitter.com/glennonsports?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Titans' fans will soon learn to love Antwon Blake as much as Steelers' fans already do:

Per @PFF, #Titans CB Antwon Blake gave up six catches for 113 yards and a TD on Sat., surrendering a reception every time targeted.

https://twitter.com/glennonsports?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I hope they give him some more chances to rebound. Last think I want to see is him getting cut and ending up back in B&G.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:07 am

because he knows the defense so well.

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:14 am

It's a shame we don't play the Titans this season. It would have been a great opportunity for Blake to show what he's really worth against AB
Back to top Go down
Steeler Zach

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:41 pm

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar  

Titan most likely to have a 1,000-yard season: Antwon Blake.

He'll give up 1000+ in coverage. Might be worst CB in NFL.

Blake missed 21 tackles last year (most in NFL) and ranked 73rd in adjusted success rate in coverage

He doesn't cover. That's the problem

27 Aug 2016

https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:55 am

Funny thing is that 12 months ago this board was full of praise, hype and positive expectations for Blake.

That along with the usual delusional training camp thoughts like:

-Kevin Fogg is the next Ike Taylor
- Jordan Dangerfield will be a future starter at safety
- Taj Boyd will be the #3 QB behind Gradkowski
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:10 pm

Sam Monson ✔@PFF_Sam

Antwon Blake gave up 1,074 yards last season, most in NFL. In only 78 snaps this preseason has given up 154. Like 1,800yd pace

31 Aug 2016

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:35 pm

sucks isnt a strong enough word to describe blake
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blake to the Titans   

Back to top Go down

Blake to the Titans
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: