HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

2016 NFL Rule Changes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FanSince72

PostSubject: 2016 NFL Rule Changes   Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:12 pm

Quote :
BOCA RATON, Fla. -- NFL owners wrapped up their annual meetings Wednesday morning by approving two rule changes that had drawn heavy protests from coaches.

"For the 2016 season only, players will be subject to automatic ejection if they commit two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the same game. The league has also moved the touchback after kickoffs to the 25-yard line, a change designed to limit the number of returns after injuries rose on the play in 2015.

Both changes were adopted as one-year experiments, to be re-evaluated after the 2016 season. The league followed a similar approach last season when changing the line of scrimmage for extra points to the 15-yard line. The rule was made permanent this week..."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15049406/nfl-moves-touchbacks-25-yard-line-approves-automatic-ejection-two-unsportsmanlike-penalties

So are these good ideas or not?

I think the NFL's heart is in the right place but I'm not sure that these rule changes are the way to go.

Unsportsmanlike penalties can range from deliberately hurting someone to End-Zone celebrations.
Many unsportsmanlike penalties result from completely non-malicious things like continuing a block after the whistle or perhaps getting a little too vocal with an opponent, none of which are really damaging but under these new rules can result in game-altering personnel  changes rather than just penalty yards.  

And I'd sure as hell hate to see someone get ejected for being a little too happy over scoring a TD.

As for a kickoff touchback being moved to the 25 yard-line, kickers have already begun to suggest strategies for circumventing the rule by intentionally kicking short kicks to force a return and I'm sure they will come up with other ways to mitigate the rule.

My take on on kickoff returns has always been that if the NFL truly views this as a dangerous thing (they claim it causes far more injuries than regular plays) then why not eliminate them altogether?

Why not just adopt a new rule that simply places the ball on the 20 yard-line (or 25) after a team has scored and play begins from there?
That would completely eliminate any potential for injury.

But simply moving the touchback to the 25 suggests that the NFL wants to do something to cut down on kickoff return injuries --- but that they don't want to really eliminate them completely.

WTF?

Either it's a serious issue or it's not.
It can't be treated as "sort of" serious.

Thoughts?

PostSubject: Re: 2016 NFL Rule Changes   Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:29 pm

I think the ejection is good when it comes to fights and after the play moments. But for a celebration for scoring a TD, that's over the top.

I hate the idea of removing kickoffs. One of the greatest things to see on Game Day is a player (as long as it's not against the Steelers) running down the sideline on a kickoff. And if it is against the Steelers, then to see the guy score only to have it called back for an illegal block or holding or any other call.

I wish they would've reviewed the catch rule.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: 2016 NFL Rule Changes   Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:53 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
I think the ejection is good when it comes to fights and after the play moments.  But for a celebration for scoring a TD, that's over the top.

I hate the idea of removing kickoffs.  One of the greatest things to see on Game Day is a player (as long as it's not against the Steelers) running down the sideline on a kickoff.  And if it is against the Steelers, then to see the guy score only to have it called back for an illegal block or holding or any other call.

I like the kickoff too and maybe the 25 yard-line adjustment would actually allow for more interesting kickoff strategies (we'll see).

As for the unsportsmanlike penalties, I think the NFL should simply create Major and Minor categories for that.

They already do that with punts (Running Into vs. Roughing the kicker), so why not have Major and Minor unsportsmanlike categories?

Things like language, minor shoving, excessive celebration, etc. would all be minor penalties and not count towards ejection.

Things like fighting, illegal hits, excessive physicality after a play, etc. would be Major penalties and subject to the "Two-Strike"/Ejection rule.

I'd even go a a step further and include automatic ejection for blatant hits (like when Burfict leveled Brown) or if a player shoves a ref or any other clearly injurious or defiant behavior.

But to include everything that can be construed as unsportsmanlike as a step toward ejection is overly punitive.

(And yes, the catch rule desperately needs to be addressed).

PostSubject: Re: 2016 NFL Rule Changes   Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:27 pm

@FanSince72 wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
I think the ejection is good when it comes to fights and after the play moments.  But for a celebration for scoring a TD, that's over the top.

I hate the idea of removing kickoffs.  One of the greatest things to see on Game Day is a player (as long as it's not against the Steelers) running down the sideline on a kickoff.  And if it is against the Steelers, then to see the guy score only to have it called back for an illegal block or holding or any other call.

I like the kickoff too and maybe the 25 yard-line adjustment would actually allow for more interesting kickoff strategies (we'll see).

As for the unsportsmanlike penalties, I think the NFL should simply create Major and Minor categories for that.

They already do that with punts (Running Into vs. Roughing the kicker), so why not have Major and Minor unsportsmanlike categories?

Things like language, minor shoving, excessive celebration, etc. would all be minor penalties and not count towards ejection.

Things like fighting, illegal hits, excessive physicality after a play, etc. would be Major penalties and subject to the "Two-Strike"/Ejection rule.

I'd even go a a step further and include automatic ejection for blatant hits (like when Burfict leveled Brown) or if a player shoves a ref or any other clearly injurious or defiant behavior.

But to include everything that can be construed as unsportsmanlike as a step toward ejection is overly punitive.

I like your idea of making the unsportsmanlike that goes towards the ejection dependent on the penalty. I really think there's a big difference between an excessive celebration and fighting. I'm not sure how I feel about the 25 yard line though. I just think it's another move to favor the offense even more but I'll get used to it I guess.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: 2016 NFL Rule Changes   Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:29 am

@ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
@FanSince72 wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:

I like your idea of making the unsportsmanlike that goes towards the ejection dependent on the penalty. I really think there's a big difference between an excessive celebration and fighting.  I'm not sure how I feel about the 25 yard line though. I just think it's another move to favor the offense even more but I'll get used to it I guess.

The kickoff can work 2 ways now:
1 - do what most teams did before and just boot it through the endzone
OR
2 - (which I think might happen more than we think) is kickers will work on trying to sky ball it so the special teams guys can make it down field in time and try to put teams inside the 20 more often.

The 'catch rule' is the dumbest rule in the league right now because no one knows what a 'catch' is anymore.
Maybe one day they'll figure it out :)
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: 2016 NFL Rule Changes   Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:40 pm

You get 3 strikes in baseball but 2 in football? So much for being a tough, grizzly sport.

The 2 unsportsmanlikes gives the refs wayyyyy too much power. Imagine: player gets an unsportsmanlike for jawing at another player. Ref can then instigate the player into jawing with him or be VERY petty with his next unsportsmanlike call and that guy is gone.

Uh oh Mike Mitchell.

PostSubject: Re: 2016 NFL Rule Changes   

Back to top Go down

2016 NFL Rule Changes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: