HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Thu May 12, 2016 2:00 am

By Christopher Bondi on May 11, 2016

Last season, when Le’Veon Bell went down, veteran DeAngelo Williams took his place and finished the season with 907 yards on 200 carries. When Williams was lost for the playoffs, Fitzgerald Toussaint stepped in and was effective (despite that costly fumble against Denver).

The same backfield should be in place this season.

In lieu of Martavis Bryant missing the season due to his suspension, the Steelers have Sammie Coates, a big receiver with plenty of speed. He demonstrated both in the playoffs against Denver on a nifty 37-yard catch and run.

They also made a fairly big splash in free agency by signing TE Ladarius Green. For backups, they’ve got Jesse James and veteran, Matt Spaeth.

There’s also depth on defense. James Harrison and Arthur Moats rotate with Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree. The main backup inside is Vince Williams. They even recently supplemented the front seven by signing linebacker Steven Johnson and defensive lineman Ricardo Matthews in free agency.

Say what you will about the secondary, it’s got plenty of depth. Will Gay and, presumably, Ross Cockrell are the starting corners. Artie Burns and last year’s second round pick Senquez Golson should challenge for starting spots and playing time.

At safety, Robert Golden will battle rookie Sean Davis for the starter spot opposite Mike Mitchell.

Virtually every starting position has quality talent ready to step in. Heck, as it stands now, the Steelers even have two starting kickers: Shaun Suisham and Chris Boswell.

Fear without Ben

Most Steelers fans witnessed the nightmare that ensued when Landry Jones stepped into the game for the injured Ben Roethlisberger against Cincinnati in the AFC Wild Card Game this past January.

Jones has proven he can play, evidenced by his performance against Arizona when he threw two TDs and rallied the team to an important victory. He’s come miles from where he was when the Steelers drafted him in the fourth round out of Oklahoma in 2013. Jones has a good arm and is capable of making throws. He went 32 for 55 and passed for 513 yards and three touchdowns in his seven regular season appearances. Yet, his penchant for interceptions (four in seven games, not all of which he started) make him a huge question mark heading into the season.

It was somewhat of a relief that the team re-signed Bruce Gradkowski to a one year contract. After all, he’s got plenty of experience and toughness, but has barely thrown a pass in three seasons with the team (three in the AFC Wild Card game vs. the Ravens two years ago). He may be able to win a game or two, but beyond that?

A Move Missed

The Steelers could’ve solidified the backup position by signing free agent, Brian Hoyer. In fact, at one point it was rumored they were interested in him. Last week, Hoyer agreed to a $2 million deal to backup Jay Cutler in Chicago.

Is that price too steep for a backup QB? Perhaps. But Hoyer’s been a starter in this league and has had decent success. He’s got a 58.1 completion percentage, which isn’t bad. He’s also thrown 38 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. Not fantastic, but not bad either.

Hoyer would’ve been a definite upgrade to the backup QB position, and Steelers fans could breathe a bit easier if he had to see extended playing time.

To sign Hoyer, the team could’ve released or traded Landry Jones. They also could’ve released or traded Shaun Suisham. They could’ve made it work. Granted, the point is moot now, since Hoyer is off the table.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/5/11/11650964/assessing-the-dismal-pittsburgh-steelers-backup-qb-situation
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Thu May 12, 2016 8:56 am

To be fair, I heard the interest from the Steelers in Hoyer. I didn't hear Hoyer was interested in coming to Pittsburgh. Perhaps Hoyer truly feels he is a starter and sees a better chance of that happening in Chicago than Pittsburgh?

Bruce G. is back. I would have rather had Hoyer, but Bruce is head and shoulders above Jones.

Besides, this team still is what it always has been: Ben or bust.

Last edited by jak341 on Thu May 12, 2016 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Thu May 12, 2016 9:40 am

@jak341 wrote:
To be fair, I heard the interest from the Steelers in Hoyer. I didn't hear Hoyer was interest in coming to Pittsburgh. Perhaps Hoyer truly feels he is a starter and sees a better chance of that happening in Chicago than Pittsburgh?

Besides, Bruce G. is back. I would have rather had Hoyer, but Bruce is head and shoulders above Jones.

Really? Bruce hasn't thrown a pass in....how long?
I view him as the second coming of the injury prone Byron Leftwich.

I'd pick Landry as the #1 backup by default.....wish I could say by merit.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Thu May 12, 2016 10:36 am

@FrancoLambert wrote:
@jak341 wrote:
To be fair, I heard the interest from the Steelers in Hoyer. I didn't hear Hoyer was interest in coming to Pittsburgh. Perhaps Hoyer truly feels he is a starter and sees a better chance of that happening in Chicago than Pittsburgh?

Besides, Bruce G. is back. I would have rather had Hoyer, but Bruce is head and shoulders above Jones.

Really?  Bruce hasn't thrown a pass in....how long?
I view him as the second coming of the injury prone Byron Leftwich.

I'd pick Landry as the #1 backup by default.....wish I could say by merit.

I must have been 1/2 asleep yet when I wrote that. The grammar was plain awful...yikes.

But yes, even through Bruce G. hasn't thrown a pass, I trust him more than Jones.

I do reserve the right to reassess after seeing training camp. If Bruce comes out and has 0 arm strength, and Jones looks OK, I may change my mind.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Thu May 12, 2016 11:52 am

I trust anybody more than LJ. Besides one lucky game against AZ that fool sucked it up every time
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 13, 2016 10:49 am

Given the cost of a quality QB in today's NFL, if there is not a big dropoff from the starting QB to the backup QB it usually means the starting QB is a journeyman

The days of Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers serving an apprenticeship are long gone
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 13, 2016 1:34 pm

@Atlanta Dan wrote:
Given the cost of a quality QB in today's NFL, if there is not a big dropoff from the starting QB to the backup QB it usually means the starting QB is a journeyman

The days of Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers serving an apprenticeship are long gone

Agreed, Dan. In fact, the Steelers were lucky to have Charlie Batch for several years.

Name a team that will win more than 50% of their games when their franchise QB goes down. Given half the teams really don't have a franchise QB, the list should be very small.
Back to top Go down
HeinzMustard

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 13, 2016 2:37 pm

Landry Jones... the latest whipping post for Steelers fans.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 13, 2016 3:42 pm

Yes.......... the other 31 teams are all set at backup QB with stellar and experienced talent.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 13, 2016 5:01 pm

I went berserk on a recent podcast about this very whining about the backup QB situation. Kirklandrules said exactly what I did: show me a team with a BETTER situation.

Several teams are still looking for their NUMBER ONE guy let alone a 2 or 3. Winning with Landry Jones, essentially our FOURTH option last year tells you something about our team.

AJ McCarron is in a similar position but is the Bengals number two.

Just look at what happened to Dallas and Indy. I need say no more.

http://steelcityunderground.com
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 13, 2016 10:37 pm

There no doubt would be big drop-off if Ben is down. There are reason why those are backup QB. Still, it doesn't mean that Landry Jones is a decent option. I had no problem when the Steelers used a 4th round pick on a backup QB. They just failed to develop one.

Not saying that the Steelers should go extreme like the Eagles. But some teams do address the situation a lot better.

The Bengals have AJ McCarron.

The Bucs have Mike Glennon.

Kirk Cousins was a backup to a No.2 pick.

Hoyer cost a team just $2M.

Matt Moore is a decent backup QB.

Look at what happened to the Cowboys and the Colts. It just says that a contender needs to address the backup QB situation even more seriously and spending a high pick on a backup QB may actually be a very good idea. So you don't have to totally throw away a season when your franchise QB is down half a season.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Sat May 14, 2016 2:16 am

@HeinzMustard wrote:
Landry Jones... the latest whipping post for Steelers fans.  

Yeah, I bet Shamarko Thomas is happy its not him.

Funny how bloggers have nothing better to write about but doom and gloom articles about the dismal backup situation. Every season, there are 15+ teams complaining about their STARTING QB situation being weak. Steelers fans are so spoiled they feel the need to bitch about the backup.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Mon May 16, 2016 11:43 am

@SteelCityUnderground wrote:
I went berserk on a recent podcast about this very whining about the backup QB situation. Kirklandrules said exactly what I did: show me a team with a BETTER situation.

Several teams are still looking for their NUMBER ONE guy let alone a 2 or 3. Winning with Landry Jones, essentially our FOURTH option last year tells you something about our team.

AJ McCarron is in a similar position but is the Bengals number two.

Just look at what happened to Dallas and Indy. I need say no more.

I'm not sure that Indy is a good example of what went wrong. Hasslebeck came through pretty good for them.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Mon May 16, 2016 12:36 pm

@kan_t wrote:
There no doubt would be big drop-off if Ben is down. There are reason why those are backup QB. Still, it doesn't mean that Landry Jones is a decent option. I had no problem when the Steelers used a 4th round pick on a backup QB. They just failed to develop one.

Not saying that the Steelers should go extreme like the Eagles. But some teams do address the situation a lot better.

The Bengals have AJ McCarron.

The Bucs have Mike Glennon.

Kirk Cousins was a backup to a No.2 pick.

Hoyer cost a team just $2M.

Matt Moore is a decent backup QB.

Look at what happened to the Cowboys and the Colts. It just says that a contender needs to address the backup QB situation even more seriously and spending a high pick on a backup QB may actually be a very good idea. So you don't have to totally throw away a season when your franchise QB is down half a season.

Are Matt Moore, Mike Glennon, Brian Hoyer, Kirk Cousins or AJ McCarron going to win a super bowl? Cousins was drafted as a hedge against Bob Griffin being Vince Young and that worked out OK for the Washington team.

Most of those guys are capable of nursing a team to a 2-4 record if the starter went down for 6 games, but its not much different here.

Bloggers and fans just need to complain about the #3 RB, the backup QB or the #5 WR to have something to complain about. They can all cheer up and look at some mocks that have Baker Mayfield going to the Steelers next year in the draft, then they have their guy to groom as Ben's successor and be the backup.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Tue May 17, 2016 3:34 am

Titans released Mettenberger. I'd take him over Landry any day of the week. Mettenberger at least has shown some flashes despite having a near no-name group of receivers in Tennessee. I think he could flourish as a back up here learning from a guy like Roethlisberger, and playing with a much better quality group of WRs. He's also dirt cheap.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
LambertLunatic
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Tue May 17, 2016 7:19 am

All those years between Bradshaw and Ben, fans were yelling for the backup QB to replace the starter because the starters always sucked. I'll take having a lousy #2 over what we had during those years.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Tue May 17, 2016 9:47 am

@LambertLunatic wrote:
All those years between Bradshaw and Ben, fans were yelling for the backup QB to replace the starter  because the starters always sucked.  I'll take having a lousy #2 over what we had during those years.

You know it. We still made the AFCCG with Mark Malone & Kordell, but all those years of Stoudt, Malone, Brister, Graham, Woodley, Tomczak, Maddox, Stewart, etc....make complaining about the backup to Ben, laughable.
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Tue May 17, 2016 12:57 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Titans released Mettenberger. I'd take him over Landry any day of the week. Mettenberger at least has shown some flashes despite having a near no-name group of receivers in Tennessee. I think he could flourish as a back up here learning from a guy like Roethlisberger, and playing with a much better quality group of WRs. He's also dirt cheap.
They need to do this not now but, RIGHT NOW!!!!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Tue May 17, 2016 1:36 pm

@EbonySteel86 wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
They need to do this not now but, RIGHT NOW!!!!

pfffst, I'd rather listen to complaints about Jones. Just think, if they dump Jones and bring in Mettenberger, it'll be another two years before the Steelers backup sees the field and makes an ill-timed pick. We can't hold our breath that long only to find out the backup QB plays like a backup QB.

All kidding aside, Jones and Mettenberger are both backup QBs and nothing more. It doesn't matter which one you have, the goal is to limp along with a strong team and coaching staff until your starter gets back on the field. I thought Charlie Batch was a pretty good backup QB, but he went for 12 TDs and 12 INTs during his time with the Steelers.

Since there's no indication the Steelers are going to dump Jones, we should be talking about any noticeable progress he made. Prior to last season not many fans gave him the credit to do half as well as he actually did.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 20, 2016 1:35 am

Report: Steelers won't resign Michael Vick

by Bryan DeArdo

The Michael Vick era in Pittsburgh appears to have officially ended.

On Thursday, steelers.com's Bob Labriola left Vick's name off of the list of the four quarterbacks Pittsburgh is inviting to this year's training camp, essentially saying that Vick is not in the team's plans moving forward.

"It looks as though the Steelers will go to training camp with Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Bruce Gradkowski, and Dustin Vaughan as the four quarterbacks on the roster," Labriola wrote.

Now, it appears that the only scenario that would lead to Vick coming back to Pittsburgh would be if there was an injury to one of the Steelers' quarterbacks, which was the case when the Steelers signed him after Gradkowski suffered a season-ending injury midway through the preseason.

Outside of the magic he displayed in San Diego, Vick didn't have many other memorable moments on the football field last season. While he played well in his first start, Pittsburgh's Week 4 Thursday night game against the Ravens, Pittsburgh lost the game after the team missed two field goals and failed to convert on two scoring opportunities in overtime. In Week 6, an ineffective and injured Vick was replaced in the second half by Landry Jones, who led the Steelers to a Week 6 win over the Cardinals.

Vick, who was still a free agent, discussed his appreciation for the Steelers' franchise earlier this offseason.

“I love the Steelers organization,” Vick told steelers.com. “I love Coach Tomlin. I love the players I am around. I love my teammates. It was an awesome experience this year to compete throughout the playoffs. That’s what I came here for.”

On several occasions, Vick has said that he wants to play one more season before ending one of the most controversial careers in NFL history. After a remarkable career at Virginia Tech, leading the Hokies to the 1999 BCS National Championship Game as a redshirt freshman, Vick was a near instant sensation with the Falcons, defeating Green Bay in the 2002 playoffs and leading the Falcons to the NFC Championship Game in 2004.

Vick's career took a massive turn after that, as Atlanta stumbled to two mediocre seasons as Vick took his fare share of the blame for the Falcons' struggles. In 2007, Vick's issues would be much larger than any challenge he has ever faced on a football field, as he served a two-year prison sentence for his role in a dog fighting ring.

In 2009, Vick returned to the NFL, and in 2010, was named the league's Comeback Player of the Year as he lead Philadelphia to a division championship. He's also reportedly a changed man, and even campaigned for a animal rights bill in recent years.

But after being unable to rekindle his former magic, Vick has turned into a journemen during his final chapter in football. He spent one uneventful season with the Jets in 2014 before being acquired by the Steelers last summer. Vick went 2-1 as a starter in relief of Ben Roethlisberger last season, with the highlight being his game-winning drive in the final minutes of Pittsburgh's Week 5 road victory over the Chargers.

Now, Vick waits for another chance in the NFL, while it appears that his time as a member of the Steelers' organization has come to an end.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Steelers-wont-resign-Michael-Vick-45398409
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 20, 2016 3:41 pm

Tom Brady lands in top five most hated NFL players of all time

Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2016

If you love Tom Brady, you really love him. And if you hate Tom Brady, you apparently really hate him.

Brady has landed at No. 5 on the list of the most hated NFL players. It’s a list not only of the players who currently are in the game, but also of all players who ever played the game.

The click-harvest slideshow from SportingNews.com has Mike Vick at No. 1, Terrell Owens at No. 2, Ndamukong Suh at No. 3, Greg Hardy at No. 4, and Brady at No. 5.

The rest of the top 10 includes Ray Lewis, Bill Romanowski, Ben Roethlisberger, Adam “Pacman” Jones, and Adrian Peterson.

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/20/tom-brady-lands-in-top-five-most-hated-nfl-players-of-all-time/
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 20, 2016 7:58 pm

surprised to find romanowski on there. did he get in trouble with the law or anything? I always thought he was a good player
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri May 20, 2016 10:22 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
surprised to find romanowski on there. did he get in trouble with the law or anything? I always thought he was a good player

He spit in peoples faces, talked a lot of trash, admitted he took steroids and cheated. Good player, but kind of comes off as a D.B.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Sat May 21, 2016 1:33 am

I lost faith in Jones after that putrid interception he threw in the Bengals playoff game that very nearly cost us our last chance to win the game. If it wasn't for Jeremy Hill, Scumbag Burfict, and Dirtbag Jones, then we very likely would've lost that game because of the interception. He played well for one game, against Arizona, other than that he was incredibly up-and-down.

Mettenberger is already out of the question, but that kid at least had some arm talent, and he wasn't exactly playing with the caliber of players that Landry Jones has been. I'd like to see what Mettenberger could do with better protection behind a good offensive line, and a better group of WRs.

Either way if Gradkowski can stay healthy I do like him, and if we have to keep Jones as the #3, at least he knows the system.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Mon May 23, 2016 10:05 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I lost faith in Jones after that putrid interception he threw in the Bengals playoff game that very nearly cost us our last chance to win the game. If it wasn't for Jeremy Hill, Scumbag Burfict, and Dirtbag Jones, then we very likely would've lost that game because of the interception. He played well for one game, against Arizona, other than that he was incredibly up-and-down.

Mettenberger is already out of the question, but that kid at least had some arm talent, and he wasn't exactly playing with the caliber of players that Landry Jones has been. I'd like to see what Mettenberger could do with better protection behind a good offensive line, and a better group of WRs.

Either way if Gradkowski can stay healthy I do like him, and if we have to keep Jones as the #3, at least he knows the system.

I know this isn't a popular stance in Steelers Nation, but I give Jones a pass on that Cincy interception. He'd been sitting on the sideline in 40 degree rainy weather for most of the game, then he's suddenly asked to drive them down the field. It's hard enough coming in the game as a backup (just look at the interception rate for backup QBs), but to try to do it under those conditions is difficult at best. And, I think he had the right idea with the throw, but was a half second late making it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: