HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Mon May 23, 2016 12:14 pm

I think gradkowski can keep us afloat for a few games if Ben goes down. I'm even confident that jones can do ok with proper preparation for a game or two. Having Bell will be big. He's such a good safety outlet for any QB and he's good at pass protection. However, If we lose Ben for a big stretch of games it won't matter who's back there.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Mon May 23, 2016 3:37 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@HeinzMustard wrote:
Landry Jones... the latest whipping post for Steelers fans.  

Yeah, I bet Shamarko Thomas is happy its not him.

Funny how bloggers have nothing better to write about but doom and gloom articles about the dismal backup situation.  Every season, there are 15+ teams complaining about their STARTING QB situation being weak.  Steelers fans are so spoiled they feel the need to bitch about the backup.

Just think, they're complaining about the NUMBER FOUR guy last year... Bruce was the number 2, then they brought Vick in when Bruce went down.

Then you'll still hear how everyone else helped Jones win the AZ game: that's exactly the way it should be with your BACKUPS!

So yes, we can cry about the backup situation, but when you look at the teams who are still unsettled with their first option, I'll live with an OK journeyman that could eek out a win. After all, many forget that's all that Charlie Batch was!

http://steelcityunderground.com
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:28 am

Landry Jones emerges from minicamp likely to be the Steelers' No. 2 QB

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The only quarterback the Steelers drafted in the past eight years walked off the field Thursday to end the final day of his fourth minicamp seconds before a downpour, which was appropriate.

Landry Jones walked through the raindrops far too long with the Steelers without so much as getting wet behind the ears. Then came the 2015 season, when he found himself thrust from third string to second string to pulling the strings.

He never wore a Steelers uniform for a game other than in the preseason his first two years. Then he found himself in the middle of 2015 trying to keep one of the most talented offenses in the league afloat.

He did it well enough by coming off the bench to throw two touchdown passes and no interceptions in his first NFL appearance to help beat Arizona, then started two other games, with the reviews mixed.

Nevertheless, it now appears the backup job to Ben Roethlisberger is Jones’ to lose with veteran Bruce Gradkowski there to pick things up if necessary. Jones took most of the snaps as the No. 2 quarterback this spring, just as he did a year ago while Gradkowski mostly watched with a sore shoulder.

Jones now is the quarterback they likely will turn to first if something happens to Roethlisberger again. At least, that is how it appears June 17. That could change by Aug. 17 or Sept 17.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/06/17/Landry-Jones-comes-out-of-minicamp-as-likely-the-Steelers-No-2-QB/stories/201606170072
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:20 am

Good move and commitment IMO. If Gradkowski ever saw the field as the #2 this coming season, it wouldn't be long before Jones was taking his place due to an injury.

Gradkowski seems about as durable as Brian Leftwich was at the end of his career.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:30 am

Jones gets a bad rap. He's OK. I like our backup situation for now. We have to leave some breathing room with the cap and can't go out and get a big name, high dollar backup. We could do much worse than Bruce and Landry. (Glad Vick is gone for that matter too.)

http://steelcityunderground.com
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Jones confidence continues to grow

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Confidence.

It’s defined as, “A feeling of self-assurance arising from one's appreciation of one's own abilities or qualities.”

In football, it’s often defined in one word. Success.

And for Landry Jones, the two went hand-in-hand in 2015.

After spending his first two seasons as the Steelers’ third-string quarterback, Jones saw action last season when injuries mounted at the position. He played in seven games, starting two, and gaining valuable experience and even more importantly, confidence.

“The playing time gave him that and he had some success also,” said quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner. “Success breeds that. Opportunity does too. He has taken advantage of that. His confidence level is very high right now.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Jones-confidence-continues-to-grow/22df1070-d39f-4c2d-abb1-211fe68e04c4

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Steelers notebook: Newly signed QB Mettenberger eager to learn from Big Ben

Ralph N. Paulk | Monday, Sept. 5, 2016

Quarterback Zach Mettenberger wasn't sure about his future after the San Diego Chargers waived him last week. Then the Steelers signed him when it became clear Bruce Gradkowski wouldn't be physically fit to compete.

“I have a great opportunity here with a great organization,” Mettenberger said. “Obviously, this is 7's (Ben Roethlisberger) team, but to get where I want to be, I have to learn from one of the best in the league.”

Mettenberger wore No. 7 during his first practice session Monday, in part, because Roethlisberger wore the No. 5 to honor Gradkowski, who was placed on the reserve injured list with a hamstring injury suffered early in training camp.

“I think that'll be the last time I wear that number,” said Mettenberger, who will wear No. 18.

Mettenberger, drafted in the sixth round in 2014 by the Titans, put up pedestrian numbers his first two seasons. He completed 208 passes for 2,347 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Perhaps his most impressive performance came at the expense of the Steelers in 2014. He completed 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards, including an 80-yard touchdown pass to Nate Washington, in the Steelers' 27-24 win at Tennessee.

“Obviously, the general manager (Kevin Colbert) saw something he liked, and he brought me in,” Mettenberger said. “All I can do now is work hard and prove he made the right choice.

“It's going to be tough, but I have to be prepared to go. I'm excited to get the opportunity to work with (offensive coordinator) Todd Haley. For me to help this team, I have to be 100 percent mentally ready.”

NO LONGER IN DOUBT

Rookie linebacker Tyler Matakevich wasn't expected to make the Steelers' 53-man roster. He was the second of two seventh-round picks.

But defensive coordinator Keith Butler figures the Temple product is a good fit. Matakevich will earn his pay on special teams, but he's expecting more.

“The second I got here, I've been trying to earn everyone's respect and show them that I can play,” Matakevich said. “People have doubted me my whole life, telling me I can't play. It just added fuel to the fire.

“I've been taking it all in, and learning from all these guys — Lawrence Timmons, Ryan Shazier and Vince Williams. I see how hard they work, and the challenge has been matching that intensity.

“They throw a lot at you, and you just have to take a deep breath and remember to just play football. It's something I've done my whole life. So far, it's worked out all right. You've got to be prepared for your moment.”

MATTER OF FATE

Linebacker Steven Johnson didn't survive the final cut Saturday, but he was re-signed when starting outside linebacker Bud Dupree was placed on the injured reserve list Sunday.

For Johnson, he was in the right place at the right time.

“I've been in some sticky situations, and I've fought through them,” said Johnson, in his fifth season. “I never had anything like this, but I'm grateful to have been in a situation to help the team. ... I know I was brought here for a reason.”

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11091879-74/mettenberger-steelers-captains

PostSubject: Re: Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation   

Back to top Go down

Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: