HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Ryan Shazier's star turn

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:04 am

By Chris Bradford

PITTSBURGH -- As a former first-round pick, Ryan Shazier is viewed as one of the cornerstones of the Steelers' rebuilt defense. In 2015, Shazier took a big step toward realizing his vast potential and would seem poised for a breakout season in Year 3.

Shazier had 87 combined tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and one interception last season.

"I feel like I continued to get better as the season went on," Shazier said. "I feel like I'm going to keep on that path and continue to play the way I was playing and getting this team to the Super Bowl. I'm just going to keep doing what I have to do to help us get there."

Shazier's blend of speed and athleticism are off the charts, but there have been more than a few questions about his ability to stay healthy. He missed four games last season with a shoulder injury after missing seven games as a rookie with knee and foot injuries. Shazier said he's hoping that those are behind him.

"They were frustrating but I don't like thinking about them," he said. "I don't really worry about those right now. I just worry about the future and let God take care of that."

READ MORE: http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-insider-ryan-shazier-s-star-turn-antonio-brown-talks/article_2544e1e6-28ea-11e6-9fb3-4f9be923fa29.html

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:55 am

Sky is the limit for this kid, if he can add a little muscle and get his core strength up he could be downright deadly. His speed is killer, but sometimes he struggles coming off of blocks. All the talent in the world, just needs to work on that, staying healthier, and he can really be a force for us defensively. Working out with Harrison is a step in the right direction.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Shazier beats Steelers wideouts in foot race

By Kevin Patra

Ryan Shazier is wicked fast.

The Pittsburgh Steelers' linebacker displayed his speed Wednesday, besting wide receivers Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton and Sammie Coates in a 40-yard dash.

While straight-line speed is overrated in the NFL, that's not Shazier's only asset. When healthy, the 23-year-old linebacker is a tackling machine with sideline-to-sideline quickness.

Lost in the muck at the end of the Steelers-Bengals Wild Card spat was Shazier's ridiculous game. Perhaps the best performance by a non-pass rushing linebacker all last year, Shazier compiled 13 tackles, two passes defensed and two forced fumbles -- including the final turnover that provided Pittsburgh the chance to win. Shazier was all over the field the entire game.

Entering his third season, the linebacker could leap into the All-Pro discussion.

READ MORE: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000668119/article/ryan-shazier-beats-steelers-wideouts-in-foot-race

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Today's podcast was about this little foot race, but a bit more than that. I dug into why people think "breakout star" when I believe that already happened right under our nose!

http://www.steelcityunderground.com/podcast/2016/06/shazier-wins-race-nonsense/ (or iTunes and you know the drill)

http://steelcityunderground.com
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Can Shazier play TE? Maybe we should experminent with triple TE sets, we'd have the most explosive jumbo package in the league lol
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Shazier beats Steelers wideouts in foot race

By Kevin Patra

Ryan Shazier is wicked fast.

The Pittsburgh Steelers' linebacker displayed his speed Wednesday, besting wide receivers Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton and Sammie Coates in a 40-yard dash.

While straight-line speed is overrated in the NFL, that's not Shazier's only asset. When healthy, the 23-year-old linebacker is a tackling machine with sideline-to-sideline quickness.

Lost in the muck at the end of the Steelers-Bengals Wild Card spat was Shazier's ridiculous game. Perhaps the best performance by a non-pass rushing linebacker all last year, Shazier compiled 13 tackles, two passes defensed and two forced fumbles -- including the final turnover that provided Pittsburgh the chance to win. Shazier was all over the field the entire game.

Entering his third season, the linebacker could leap into the All-Pro discussion.

READ MORE: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000668119/article/ryan-shazier-beats-steelers-wideouts-in-foot-race

The interesting thing about that race is that Wheaton and Coates finished ahead of AB. I don't know that fans appreciate how fast of a group of WR's the Steelers have.

Back to top Go down
schillah

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Did we really get full AB though? lol

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:35 am

If he's faster than our WR's maybe we should move him to safety.    
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 pm

Steelers LB Ryan Shazier has All-Pro speed but wants All-Pro results

PITTSBURGH -- The way players recall it, Mike Tomlin teased that Ryan Shazier wasn't among the 10 fastest Pittsburgh Steelers, so linebacker Vince Williams told him Shazier was indeed the fastest.

That exchanged prompted the foot race that hyped the locker room last week. Shazier, a 240-pound linebacker, outran receivers Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton and Sammie Coates in the 40 by a convincing margin.

"I just know a lot of people respect my speed now," said Shazier, who added that Darrius Heyward-Bey is the undisputed speedster on the team. "Some might be scared to race [me now]."

Shazier's "certified freak" status widens the potential for a breakout performance in his third NFL season. When healthy, Shazier is the prototypical linebacker for today's NFL. He has the speed to cover receivers and tight ends downfield, the quick burst to rush the passer and the willingness to shoot a rushing gap for a tackle at the line of scrimmage.

The Shazier experiment has taken time to launch. Injuries forced him to miss a combined 11 games in 2014-15 and 2015-16. As a rookie, Shazier was sometimes in the wrong spots while trying to force a big play.

Read more here: http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/19189/steelers-lb-ryan-shazier-has-all-pro-speed-but-wants-all-pro-results
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:56 am

FrancoLambert wrote:

The second coming of Troy only he can tackle head on.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:35 pm

solardave wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

The second coming of Troy only he can tackle head on.

According to Giovani Bernard, YES HE CAN!

Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:05 pm

IDK if you guys do Vine/Twitter, but I have a bunch of short clips and a longer hype video (90 seconds) with the Shazier hit among other highlights. https://vine.co/SteelCityUnderground

http://steelcityunderground.com
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Steelers' Shazier looks to put it all together

By DAN SCIFO
— Aug. 6, 2016

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) — Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier's top goal this season is to stay healthy.

Shazier took another step forward in his development during his second NFL season in 2015, though injuries remain a concern. If Shazier can stay on the field for an improving Steelers defense, the former first-round pick figures the rest will fall into place.

"The more you're on the field, the better you get," Shazier said. "My teammates will trust me in certain situations when I'm on the field, they'll know I can do certain things and I'll have confidence, too.

"The more I'm on the field, the more confidence I have and I'll feel like I can do anything."

Shazier flashed that first-round, big-play ability during last season's AFC wild-card game at Cincinnati. He led the defense with a single-game playoff high 13 tackles and finished with his first career postseason fumble recovery. Shazier also forced two fumbles, including a devastating third-quarter hit on Giovani Bernard and a critical late-game takeaway of Jeremy Hill that led to the winning field goal.

"You just have to have confidence in yourself, especially after last year," Shazier said. "I started playing better and started having more confidence in myself. I'm a major competitor. I hate losing and I'm going to do whatever I have to do to win."

The Steelers liked Shazier's 4.4 speed and sideline-to-sideline playmaking abilities when they selected the 6-foot-1, 230-pound linebacker No. 15 overall in the 2014 draft.

The former Ohio State standout made 12 regular-season starts in 2015 and finished second on the team with 87 tackles, 3½ sacks, four passes defensed and a pair of forced fumbles.

But Shazier struggled to stay healthy, missing four games early in the season with a right shoulder injury before playing the final 12 games. Shazier missed all or parts of nine of the Steelers' final 14 games during his rookie season.

"He has to stay healthy," defensive coordinator Keith Butler said. "He has to be on the field. That's the biggest thing for him. If he stays on the field, he'll be productive. He'll be what I think we envisioned him to be."

Shazier definitely feels as if he's stronger and he has a better understanding of the things he needs to do, regarding diet and weight training to preserve his body for the rigors of an NFL season. He's also evolving as a leader on the defense and progressing as a defensive signal caller, a job he took over full time last season.

to read rest of article:

http://pro32.ap.org/post-gazette/article/steelers-shazier-looks-put-it-all-together

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier's star turn   

Back to top Go down

Ryan Shazier's star turn
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: