HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 
 

 Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
JPPT1974

avatar

Posts : 135
Likes : 28
Join date : 2015-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:57 pm

Well he is with Arizona. Just move on from there. Is all you do. Like it or not. That is the business.

_________________
Don't Have a Blue Christmas!
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:35 am

@FanSince72 wrote:
You have your reality.

I have mine.

Actually I think you have your opinion and I have mine - I do not elevate my subjective assessments of facts regarding the performance of the Steelers offense during the period during which Arians was the OC which differ with other subjective assessments of those same facts into "reality"

Quote :
All things considered, I can't understand why people need to hate him so much.

But I don't "Do" hate, so maybe that's why.  

I dislike him - I do not hate him - BA does not have the ability to have an impact on my life that would prompt hatred

Hate is an emotion that appears to more accurately apply to how BA and his wife regard Mike Tomlin and AJR II
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:50 am

[quote="Atlanta Dan"]
@FanSince72 wrote:


Hate is an emotion that appears to more accurately apply to how BA and his wife regard Mike Tomlin and AJR II

Yup, crusty old guy cant just move on and take the high road.

Its like he got released and signed with another team. I know that happens hundreds of times a season with players and a coach should be able to understand the comparison, but for some reason cant just let it go.

In the end, Arians has a head job and Steelers fans get to watch an offense that doesn't get Ben sacked 50 times a year, or throw the football on 3rd and 1. Everybody wins!!
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Quote :
In the end, Arians has a head job and Steelers fans get to watch an offense that doesn't get Ben sacked 50 times a year, or throw the football on 3rd and 1. Everybody wins!!

The Steelers don't. They've won ONE playoff game in four years.

Arians won five.

Ben has taken more BIG shots in four years with Haley than he did in 8 years without him.

Ben has missed 7 games due to injury with Haley.

He missed TWO games due to injury with Arians.

If you love fantasy football and empty, meaningless, garbage time yards and TD's, Haley's your man.

In the real NFL world? His offense isn't good enough.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:16 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
Arians wasn't fired. When you work under a contract, you have to understand that when that contract is up, you're a free agent in a free market environment. If there's available resources at the right price that ownership feels can produce better than what you demonstrated in the past few years, you will not get a new contract ... unless there's an irrational love fest for you personally ... which apparently wasn't the case for Arians. Although it appears that Tomlin pushed to get Arians back, the FO was done with him. Hell, how many times did they tell him he needed to get better at the run game to help protect their franchise QB? And how many years did he fail to get the offense to run the ball more effectively? How many times did they tell Arians he needed to protect Ben? How many years was Ben near the top of the most sacked QBs? His track record and philosophy showed no progress.

As Dan does a good job pointing out above, Arians could only get to a mediocre level with the Steelers. It seemed to me that a good part of the success of the Steelers offense came from Ben extending plays and getting huge gains. They struggled to convert 3rd and shorts, but would score a 50 yard TD on 1st down that Ben held the ball for 10 seconds and scrambled 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. At that point, it's not the offensive coordinator. It's the player. And I always had the feeling that the Steelers won because Ben was a winner, despite what Arians' play calling attempted to accomplish.

Ben wasn't a disciplined player or person in those days. The temper he threw when Haley was hired was an embarrassment to him and the Steelers. To Haley's credit he found the right balance that Ben ultimately understood he wasn't going to have to knuckle under his OC and yet he still needed to follow a new system. I credit Heath for helping in that process. He went on record to say that Haley allowed the players to have an expanded level of input into the new system the Steelers would use on offense. Heath basically said that Haley allowed them to help create the playbook, but then expected them to stick to it (meaning, run the plays more than just freelance). Who was Ben's roommate? Heath. Bet there were plenty of chats after lights out about giving Haley a chance, etc.

Ben has not just grown, but thrived under Haley. Professionally and personally. Gone are the Arians days when Ben impersonated Fredo by banging Vegas cocktail waitresses two at a time. Gone are the days that the ground game was an afterthought and the passing game was nothing more than the OC sitting on the sideline watching his QB either launch a bomb or get crushed. In marched a new era of a wife and pictures of babies.  I hear his attorney sold his yacht now that Ben isn't making the monthly payments for him. We now have an offensive game plan that leaves most Steelers fans surprised when they don't convert in short yardage. A QB throwing for career yardage and taking less sacks.  Under BA, the success of the team was the result of the defense. Under Haley, the offense leads this team. Imagine what the Steelers would look like if BA were running this offense as the Steelers defense went into rebuild mode. I guarantee Tomlin would have more than one losing season on his resume.

I believe Arians should have been fired before his contract expired. The FO was nothing but fair to him to allow him the opportunity to turn things around during the tenure of his contract. But the offense hit a plateau under his leadership and it was time for a change. He wasn't fired, he was replaced with an upgrade

What's sad? Is you actually believe that garbage.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:29 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Every season since that "retirement" has been nothing but enjoyable for me as a long time Steeler fan.  The view going forward is so much better than looking in the past.

I no longer have to see Carey Davis taking up space on the field, Ben getting sacked 55 times a year.  I get to watch one of the top RB's in the NFL and Rosevelt Nix does the job John Kuhn could have.

Roosevelt Nix barely plays. You don't want Carey Davis on the field? Now we get 300 pound linemen running pass patterns, we get the best WR in football being removed from the game on 4th and 2 in over time and we get James Harrison playing fullback in the redzone.

And, we don't win anything anymore.

Yay!
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

avatar

Posts : 104
Likes : 64
Join date : 2015-05-07
Location : Raleigh, NC

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 am

Well, there goes the neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:18 am

@Rhyno wrote:
Well, there goes the neighborhood.



It's insulting to me as a Steeler fan how Ben's own fan base degrade and diminish his pre-Haley production and his career. I'd expect that from ignorant media. But when his own fan base does it? It's sad.

The FACTS, and not agenda's, prove at this point, that the Todd Haley experiment has been a failure.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:57 am

@Crash wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Every season since that "retirement" has been nothing but enjoyable for me as a long time Steeler fan.  The view going forward is so much better than looking in the past.

I no longer have to see Carey Davis taking up space on the field, Ben getting sacked 55 times a year.  I get to watch one of the top RB's in the NFL and Rosevelt Nix does the job John Kuhn could have.

Roosevelt Nix barely plays.  You don't want Carey Davis on the field?  Now we get 300 pound linemen running pass patterns, we get the best WR in football being removed from the game on 4th and 2 in over time and we get James Harrison playing fullback in the redzone.  

And, we don't win anything anymore.  

Yay!  

When you need a yard or 2, the highest percentage play is to run it, not to pass it. Having a FB/H-back allows you to do that. Carey Davis was 225lb guy that didn't block.

The current offense is so much better than the 2008-era offense, because it balances the passing ability of Ben, AB, with the running game of a good O line and Bell/Williams. Back then the Defense was almost always top5 in the league, now they are closer to the bottom half. Teams win football games with performance in all 3 phases, not just by having an OC that runs a system that always exposes his QB to injury.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:09 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Crash wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Every season since that "retirement" has been nothing but enjoyable for me as a long time Steeler fan.  The view going forward is so much better than looking in the past.

I no longer have to see Carey Davis taking up space on the field, Ben getting sacked 55 times a year.  I get to watch one of the top RB's in the NFL and Rosevelt Nix does the job John Kuhn could have.

Roosevelt Nix barely plays.  You don't want Carey Davis on the field?  Now we get 300 pound linemen running pass patterns, we get the best WR in football being removed from the game on 4th and 2 in over time and we get James Harrison playing fullback in the redzone.  

And, we don't win anything anymore.  

Yay!  

When you need a yard or 2, the highest percentage play is to run it, not to pass it.  Having a FB/H-back allows you to do that.  Carey Davis was 225lb guy that didn't block.

The current offense is so much better than the 2008-era offense, because it balances the passing ability of Ben, AB, with the running game of a good O line and Bell/Williams.  Back then the Defense was almost always top5 in the league, now they are closer to the bottom half.  Teams win football games with performance in all 3 phases, not just by having an OC that runs a system that always exposes his QB to injury.

Like I said, you actually believe that garbage.  

You also don't comprehend how the Whiz/Arians offense AIDED the DEFENSE, by controlling the clock.  

Can't give up points when you're on the sidelines.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:21 am

Quote :
When you need a yard or 2, the highest percentage play is to run it, not to pass it.



Where's LeVeon Bell?  Where's your boy Nix at fullback?  Where's Antonio Brown to keep the defense honest?  

If Arians ran this same play you would have stroked out.  

The hometown hero gets a free pass.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:01 pm

@Crash wrote:
Quote :
When you need a yard or 2, the highest percentage play is to run it, not to pass it.



Where's LeVeon Bell?  Where's your boy Nix at fullback?  Where's Antonio Brown to keep the defense honest?  

If Arians ran this same play you would have stroked out.  

The hometown hero gets a free pass.

Bell is blocking on the front side, Nix and Will Johnson on the back side of the play. That seriously was one of the worst plays in recent history, but the Mike Vick experiment was one of the worst obsessions recently, other than that of putting #41 at CB most of last year. Washed up running QB that cant read a defense.

Some fans here haven't heard yet that Arians has moved on. If they love his game so much they can always catch Cardinal games and see if he can keep his QB's upright in that offense of his. I was never a fan of his offenses with the Browns, Steelers or now and the most enjoyable part of it is that he is no longer coaching the Steelers.

Check that, I loved Arians offense in the 2002-2003 Browns vs. Steelers playoffs. Offense cant hang onto a 17 point lead without a running game.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:25 pm

Quote :
That seriously was one of the worst plays in recent history

So was lining up James Harrison at fullback on 1st and goal from the 2 against the Jets.

No Bell, no Antonio Brown on the field on that play either.

Once again Toddy didn't do what you wanted on short yardage below:

Quote :
When you need a yard or 2, the highest percentage play is to run it, not to pass it.

And you honestly condone this clown as the OC?

Quote :
Check that, I loved Arians offense in the 2002-2003 Browns vs. Steelers playoffs. Offense cant hang onto a 17 point lead without a running game.

If Todd Haley's Pittsburgh offense scores 33 points in a playoff game and lost the defense would get blamed.

But somehow Arians always got blamed when his Steelers defense crapped the bed.

It's why he was fired.

And the Steelers haven't won anything since.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17045
Likes : 1387
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:08 pm

I wasted enough time a few years ago trying to reason with Crash (aka Grumpy McCardinal), so I'll keep it simple.



_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:28 pm

How am I wrong?

You answer this, and you answer it HONESTY:

If ANY OWNER with the last name of Jones, Snyder, or Davis would tell a HOF QB to change the way he plays AFTER he got you three trips to a SB and two rings in 8 years, what would Steeler Nation do?

They'd laugh at them.

So why does Art II get a free pass?
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2679
Likes : 505
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:49 pm

@Crash wrote:
How am I wrong?  

You answer this, and you answer it HONESTY:  

If ANY OWNER with the last name of Jones, Snyder, or Davis would tell a HOF QB to change the way he plays AFTER he got you three trips to a SB and two rings in 8 years, what would Steeler Nation do?  

They'd laugh at them.  

So why does Art II get a free pass?  

It's called OWNERSHIP. It's his right. I got an idea. Since I believe the defense will be much improved this year why don't we put this argument off until we win #7 with Haley as our O.C.
There's my bold prediction for this year.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Quote :
It's called OWNERSHIP. It's his right.

But it doesn't make it a right decision.

A GOOD owner, stays out of the way and reaps the rewards that his hired football people and players give him.

Jerry Jones was a GREAT owner, when he let Jimmy Johnson run the show.

Jerry Jones, despite playing college football for a National Champion (In which he was also Co-Captain), became a buffoon once he became the one man know it all he is now.

And Jerry Part II, is what Art II reminds me of.



Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17045
Likes : 1387
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:34 pm

@Crash wrote:
How am I wrong?  

You answer this, and you answer it HONESTY:  

If ANY OWNER with the last name of Jones, Snyder, or Davis would tell a HOF QB to change the way he plays AFTER he got you three trips to a SB and two rings in 8 years, what would Steeler Nation do?  

They'd laugh at them.  

So why does Art II get a free pass?  

*sigh* I'll respond against my better judgment.

The reason Art gets a "free pass" is because the overwhelming majority of Steeler Nation agrees with him. Regardless of ability, a person's body breaks down over time and with age. A 34-year-old Ben won't be able to take the same kind of beating that a 24-year-old Ben could. And as the body breaks down, the ability also deteriorates. An older Ben just isn't going to be able to do the things that a younger Ben could do. So from both a health and ability standpoint, it was necessary for Ben to start relying more on his arm and brain rather than his legs and mobility. Art's motive was to prolong Ben's career rather than watch it come to a sudden end.

_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:44 pm

Quote :
He's a guy who doesn't understand that the Steelers chose to go in another direction and have benefited from that decision.

1 playoff win.  Arians won 5.  

Back to back seasons with no playoff berth's.  Never happened with Arians.  

Ben has missed 7 games due to injury with Haley. With Arians he missed TWO.  

Benefited my ass.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:48 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
I wasted enough time a few years ago trying to reason with Crash (aka Grumpy McCardinal), so I'll keep it simple.





Its like a TV. If you like another program better, then switch the channel. Those that love that offensive style so much should just go be Cardinal fans.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:50 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Crash wrote:
How am I wrong?  

You answer this, and you answer it HONESTY:  

If ANY OWNER with the last name of Jones, Snyder, or Davis would tell a HOF QB to change the way he plays AFTER he got you three trips to a SB and two rings in 8 years, what would Steeler Nation do?  

They'd laugh at them.  

So why does Art II get a free pass?  

*sigh* I'll respond against my better judgment.

The reason Art gets a "free pass" is because the overwhelming majority of Steeler Nation agrees with him. Regardless of ability, a person's body breaks down over time and with age. A 34-year-old Ben won't be able to take the same kind of beating that a 24-year-old Ben could. And as the body breaks down, the ability also deteriorates. An older Ben just isn't going to be able to do the things that a younger Ben could do. So from both a health and ability standpoint, it was necessary for Ben to start relying more on his arm and brain rather than his legs and mobility. Art's motive was to prolong Ben's career rather than watch it come to a sudden end.

But they changed him, and he's missing more games.

So obviously they were wrong.

And another thing, how do you keep "Ben safe" coming off knee surgery, by lining him up in the wild cat at receiver, when any DB can take a free shot at him?

If Arians did that? What's said?

Toddy did it, and gets a free pass.

I'm sorry I don't believe in changing a player. When you do that? You don't win.

The last 4 years is proof.

Only simple minded Yinzers would condone taking the modern day Terry Bradshaw, and turning him into Trent Dilfer.



Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:51 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:
I wasted enough time a few years ago trying to reason with Crash (aka Grumpy McCardinal), so I'll keep it simple.





Its like a TV.  If you like another program better, then switch the channel.  Those that love that offensive style so much should just go be Cardinal fans.  

I love winning.

You love Todd Haley.

That's the difference.

Art II and Haley should be ashamed of themselves for what they did to Ben. Ruined his career and his legacy.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:22 pm

@Crash wrote:
[


I love winning.  

You love Todd Haley.  

That's the difference.  

Art II and Haley should be ashamed of themselves for what they did to Ben.  Ruined his career and his legacy.  

Where did I say that I love Todd Haley?? I never did say that in case you have comprehension issues.

I don't think I have seen Ben complain about his career or his legacy. I honestly don't believe that Ben thinks other people control his destiny or success. Winners don't care about things beyond their control....whiners do.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned
avatar

Posts : 196
Likes : 4
Join date : 2016-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:52 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Crash wrote:
[


I love winning.  

You love Todd Haley.  

That's the difference.  

Art II and Haley should be ashamed of themselves for what they did to Ben.  Ruined his career and his legacy.  

Where did I say that I love Todd Haley??  I never did say that in case you have comprehension issues.

I don't think I have seen Ben complain about his career or his legacy.  I honestly don't believe that Ben thinks other people control his destiny or success.  Winners don't care about things beyond their control....whiners do.

Ben was a HOF bound QB after 8 years.

Now he Philip Rivers II: Not winning, and putting up loads of garbage time yards and TD's after games have already been lost.

Damn shame.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:43 pm

@Crash wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Crash wrote:
[


I love winning.  

You love Todd Haley.  

That's the difference.  

Art II and Haley should be ashamed of themselves for what they did to Ben.  Ruined his career and his legacy.  

Where did I say that I love Todd Haley??  I never did say that in case you have comprehension issues.

I don't think I have seen Ben complain about his career or his legacy.  I honestly don't believe that Ben thinks other people control his destiny or success.  Winners don't care about things beyond their control....whiners do.

Ben was a HOF bound QB after 8 years.

Now he Philip Rivers II: Not winning, and putting up loads of garbage time yards and TD's after games have already been lost.  

Damn shame.  

So you just said here that Ben will be "not winning". You said a couple posts earlier that you like winning. So if Ben wont be winning and you like winning, will you be then switching to follow another team that WILL be winning??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   

Back to top Go down
 
Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: