HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Crash
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:36 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
So show me where he is taking more hits than when Arians was in the Burgh.  Less sacks/hits = less chance to get hurt = more time on the field.  He has some pretty freak crappy hits last season.

Oh and the defense hasn't been stellar.  There was a much better defense in place when Arians was in the Burgh.  That makes a HUGE difference.

Yeah yeah the defense, the same defense that blew 4th quarter leads for five years. Sometimes Ben saved them, sometimes he couldn't.

In an 18 game span from SB XLIII to the opening game of 2010 the "legendary defense" blew 10 fourth quarter leads.

Sucking ass in the 4th quarter has been a LeBeau trademark his entire career.

But he's a great guy who got a lifetime free pass.

UNTIL Art Rooney II hired a local guy to run the offense.

As I said it would happen. Once Arians couldn't be the scapegoat anymore LeBeau was on borrowed time in Pittsburgh.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Why is it you put so much stock in the coordinators and nothing on the players? You understand that coordinators don't blow leads or throw passes, right?

I know we've been over this all before and I'm not trying to put another quarter in the merry-go-round. You love Arians, hate Haley, and I guess you've now added LeBeau.

Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:46 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
Why is it you put so much stock in the coordinators and nothing on the players?

Because Ben Roethlisberger doesn't tell 330 pound offensive tackles to line up at wide receiver and take the best WR in football off the field.  Todd Haley does.  That's why.  

Quote :
You understand that coordinators don't blow leads or throw passes, right?

They also don't preserve leads or catch passes either.  

So if they can't get blame, why give them the credit?  Hell don't even have coordinators or coaches then, just let the players run the show.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Okay so blame the draft, blame the front office for not making the right trades, and blame the fans for not rooting hard enough.

It's not just the coordinators that make a football team tick. Coordinators are given players to work with and try to do the best they can with those players. Sometimes it's a circle peg in a square hole but they try to make it work.

And don't the players end up running the show? They choose to run the routes. Doesn't BR7 call audibles?

And please leave the magnifying glass in the Happy Meal box. Isolating one play doesn't blanket an entire body of work.

Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:45 pm

Quote :
And please leave the magnifying glass in the Happy Meal box. Isolating one play doesn't blanket an entire body of work.

I agree it doesn't.  I could also mention when Haley took AB off the field for the biggest 3rd down of the season in Baltimore in 2013.  I could also mention Haley having MIKE ^&*()(*&^&*(*&  ADAMS running a pass pattern from his own 20 yard line AFTER he inserted him into the game for his first play.  

I could also mention the ridiculous wild cat game plan in Oakland (That's also the Mike Adams running pass pattern game).  I could also mention James Harrison running pass patterns at fullback in the red zone, without EVER doing it in practice.  

By all means, let's not talk about one play.  Let's talk about the fact they have won ONE playoff game in four years and struggle to score more than 20 points a game most weeks.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:54 pm

And if Mike Adams catches a TD pass, we hear nothing about this play from you.

And if Harrison lays someones out to propel a TD, we hear nothing about it from you.

Sometimes you have to take risks and you make calls in the heat of the moment.

Look around the league. There are plenty of teams that have their fans scratching their heads wondering why they are fans. I have never done that about the Steelers. Do things seems crazy sometimes? Sure. But that's sports and it's only crazy if it doesn't work.

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:01 pm

And Crash, I'm going to be very honest with you in open forum.

You have a wealth of Steelers knowledge and I know that you truly do love the Steelers but to the masses, it doesn't come off that way.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. People can have multiple opinions and it isn't always about being right and wrong. Sometimes what's right ends up going wrong and sometimes what's wrong ends up being right.

I know where you stand (mostly) with your opinion on things and I get how you argue. I just ask that you have your opinions in sand and not in cement. Try to see where other people are coming from and not just read from the book of your own conclusions.

I think you CAN be a VERY productive member around here with your knowledge about the Steelers. Just be a little less brash and a little more loveable.

Now back to the fact that I'm glad Arians is gone.... (that means I'm having fun with you in a light hearted way and trying to have some fun)

Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Quote :
And if Mike Adams catches a TD pass, we hear nothing about this play from you.

Mike Adams couldn't go 80 yards in a car without getting caught. And you honestly want to try and defend that garbage?  It wasn't some bullshit tackle eligible, it was second and 10 from THEIR OWN 20.  

The ONLY bad thing?  Ben saved Haley's ass on the play.  He should have thrown the football to Adams.  Then Haley would have received the proper embarrassment from the entire NFL world.  

Quote :
And if Harrison lays someones out to propel a TD, we hear nothing about it from you.

He ran a pass pattern to the end zone.  He can't lay anyone out, it's a penalty if he hits someone in the end zone.  

THINK!  

Quote :
Sometimes you have to take risks and you make calls in the heat of the moment.

Oh spare me.  Take risks my ass.  Use your goddamn talent and stop the needless shit.  

Quote :
Look around the league. There are plenty of teams that have their fans scratching their heads wondering why they are fans. I have never done that about the Steelers. Do things seems crazy sometimes? Sure. But that's sports and it's only crazy if it doesn't work.

No, having 330 tackles running pass patterns isn't crazy, that's stupidity.  

CRAZY is taking a HOF QB's career after 8 years and telling him to change what made him a HOF QB in the first place.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:06 pm

So no taking risks? So you don't think the coaches should listen to BR7 when he says the Steelers should go for 2 after every TD?

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:07 pm

And Crash, I don't remember plays like you do.  I'm lucky to remember the score the next morning. (joking/being funny)

Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:24 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
So no taking risks?  So you don't think the coaches should listen to BR7 when he says the Steelers should go for 2 after every TD?

Having Harrison running a pass pattern during a game, when he's NEVER EVEN DONE IT IN PRACTICE, isn't risky.

That's idiocy, and I can only imagine what would have been said had the PREVIOUS OC called that play.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:30 am

Crash wrote:
SteelersYak wrote:
So no taking risks?  So you don't think the coaches should listen to BR7 when he says the Steelers should go for 2 after every TD?

Having Harrison running a pass pattern during a game, when he's NEVER EVEN DONE IT IN PRACTICE, isn't risky.  

That's idiocy, and I can only imagine what would have been said had the PREVIOUS OC called that play.  

Yeah, asking professional players to work in a position that isn't their specialty is less than desirable. That's almost as stupid as having a TE in the backfield acting as a FB and trying to block a blitzing Pro Bowl linebacker in the Super Bowl. All because the OC doesn't think FBs are necessary. Yikes!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:14 am

kirklandrules wrote:
Crash wrote:
SteelersYak wrote:

Yeah, asking professional players to work in a position that isn't their specialty is less than desirable. That's almost as stupid as having a TE in the backfield acting as a FB and trying to block a blitzing Pro Bowl linebacker in the Super Bowl. All because the OC doesn't think FBs are necessary. Yikes!!! affraid

Steelers David Johnson enjoying move to fullback
By Will Graves Associated Press

Published: May 30, 2012 at 09:19 p.m. Updated: Aug. 15, 2012 at 08:35 p.m.

PITTSBURGH (AP) - When the Pittsburgh Steelers asked David Johnson to convert from tight end to fullback full-time in time for the 2012 season, the burly 270-pound Johnson's first thought was "I need to go on a diet."

A couple months and 20 pounds later, Johnson is embracing a move that could extend the former seventh-round pick's NFL career indefinitely.

To be honest, the decision came as a bit of relief for Johnson. He spent last season meeting and practicing with the tight ends all week only to be thrown into the backfield as a lead blocker in goal line situations with little preparation.

"Last year, he was just trying to hit it on the fly," tight end Heath Miller said.

Now Johnson - who will keep the No. 85 - sits in meetings trying to absorb as much of new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook as he can while getting a feel for what his role will look like when the season starts in September.

"It's actually a little bit easier," Johnson said. "That's all I've got to learn now is fullback. At first I had to know both tight end positions and fullback. Now I just focus on fullback and just create my better habits on that and become the best at it."

The position, once a mainstay, has been phased out by most teams in favor of three-receiver sets even in Pittsburgh. The spot has been vacant since Dan Kreider left the team following the 2007 season as former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians opted for a more pass-heavy attack.

While Haley still plans to let quarterback Ben Roethlisberger do his thing, he also wants to give Pittsburgh's running game a physical presence it has lacked at times since Jerome Bettis' retirement following the 2005 season.

Haley utilized a fullback expertly while head coach Kansas City from 2009-11. Tim Castille helped pave the way for the Chiefs to lead the NFL in rushing while winning an unlikely AFC West title in 2010. The team then signed Le'Ron McClain last season, with the former All-Pro keeping Kansas City productive despite a rash of injuries.

Johnson will try to do the same for a backfield missing Rashard Mendenhall, who remains out indefinitely as he comes back from a torn ACL in his right knee.

Isaac Redman will get the first crack at replacing Mendenhall. He ran for an eye-opening 121 yards in a Wild Card playoff loss to Denver, some of the yards coming with Johnson smashing into linebackers.

Hey, it beats Johnson's old job, when he would try to ward off 300-pound defensive linemen. It's more of a fair fight at fullback, and though he's trimmed down, Johnson allows he's "still pretty big."

And not too tall. At 6-foot-2, Johnson is short enough where leverage won't be an issue. Part of his job description is to pick a target in front of him and get low. Not a problem for a player Miller considers one of the better athletes on the team.

Johnson hopes his willingness to take on the position and his soft hands will still make him a threat when he's not sticking his helmet into tight places. He caught 12 passes for 91 yards and a touchdown a year ago.

Haley's system gives his backs chances to catch the ball. McClain hauled in 14 passes for Kansas City last year and Castille grabbed 10 in 2010.

Those numbers are fine by Johnson, who doesn't expect to be handed the ball by Roethlisberger. Johnson's last carry as a running back came during Pop Warner.

"I'm OK if I get a couple of passes in the flat," he said.

Anything to stay on the team. Johnson knew his role as the team's No. 2 tight end behind Miller was in jeopardy after the rise of rookie Weslye Saunders last season and the signing of veteran Leonard Pope.

He accepted the move with open arms, knowing being more versatile can only help him stick around.

Besides, being a fullback may be the quickest way to the Pro Bowl. Though the position is increasingly rare, the best at it still earn a trip to Hawaii at the end of the season.

Johnson doesn't see why he can't find his way there next January if the Steelers aren't in the Super Bowl.

"I hope so," he said with a laugh.

So genius Todd Haley was hired, and he decided to move Johnson to fullback FULL TIME.  

Go in your bathroom and flush the toilet, because that's where your agenda just went.  Down the commode.  
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:51 pm

The only agenda I had was to point out that BA put a TE in as a FB during the Super Bowl and ultimately cost the team a good chance to win another ring. Thanks for playing, but your rebuttal is a failure. BA didn't put players in unfamiliar positions for gimmick plays, that d-bag moved them permanently.

Haley did have Johnson at FB, because those were the lousy cards that loser Arians left him. Ultimately, Haley found his FB and hasn't looked back.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:47 pm

Quote :
Haley did have Johnson at FB, because those were the lousy cards that loser Arians left him.

So Arians controls the draft now?

Quote :
Thanks for playing, but your rebuttal is a failure. BA didn't put players in unfamiliar positions for gimmick plays, that d-bag moved them permanently.

Did not read the date of the article I posted?  Johnson was going to be moved to fullback on a permanent basis by HALEY.  

Quote :
Ultimately, Haley found his FB and hasn't looked back.

Haley's fullback barely plays.  Btw, Roosevelt Nix was a DEFENSIVE PLAYER in college, and now he's playing fullback in the NFL for the little amount he gets on the field.  

Twenty points or less on offense in 25 of their past 51 games the last three years. He's a goddamn genius!

Once again, right down the commode.  

Indeed, thanks for playing.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Crash wrote:
Quote :
Haley did have Johnson at FB, because those were the lousy cards that loser Arians left him.

Quote :
Thanks for playing, but your rebuttal is a failure. BA didn't put players in unfamiliar positions for gimmick plays, that d-bag moved them permanently.

Did not read the date of the article I posted?  Johnson was going to be moved to fullback on a permanent basis by HALEY.  

Quote :

Haley's fullback barely plays.  Btw, Roosevelt Nix was a DEFENSIVE PLAYER in college, and now he's playing fullback in the NFL for the little amount he gets on the field.  

Twenty points or less on offense in 25 of their past 51 games the last three years.  He's a goddamn genius!

Indeed, thanks for playing

why is it that you have to be a dick in every reply?

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Quit sucking up. I have more than enough arrows slung my way in this thread for simply stating an opinion.

Don't like it? Don't read it.

Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:28 pm

Ben Roethlisberger taking hits at record rates

Posted by Darin Gantt on November 1, 2013, 8:29 AM EDT

The schemes have changed, but the beatings have remained the same for Ben Roethlisberger.

Actually, they’ve gotten worse.

The Steelers quarterback is getting sacked at a higher rate than when he was playing under coordinator Bruce Arians, who was criticized for not sufficiently protecting the investment.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the 26 sacks Roethlisberger has absorbed so far puts him on pace for 59, well beyond his career-high of 50 — if he mades it that long.

Asked how he was holding up physically, Roethlisberger laughed and replied: “I am all right so far. As long as we slow it down soon.”

Including postseason games, he’s been sacked 406 times, more than any quarterback in the last 10 years. It was something he could absorb when he was younger, but at 31, they know he’s not bouncing up as quickly as in the past.

“He’s the toughest quarterback in the league but after a while, obviously you get sick of that,” right tackle Marcus Gilbert said. “Any of us would. He’s trying to get the job done and he feels pressure every time or gets hit with shots to the leg or to the head. We have to take more pride in it. Whether it’s change up the scheme or just get better with the line — and the injuries aren’t helping. . . .

“It stinks to see him come in the next day limping around, barely walking. You got to be better, you have to take pride in that.”

Line problems have been a persistent issue, and it doesn’t help that right guard David DeCastro (ankle) hasn’t practiced this week. Left guard Ramon Foster (concussion) did, and the Steelers have to hope they can patch something together to keep Roethlisberger upright.

The OC on this team in 2013 was Todd Haley, not Bruce Arians.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:23 am

vasteeler wrote:
Crash wrote:
Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Twenty points or less on offense in 25 of their past 51 games the last three years.  He's a goddamn genius!

Indeed, thanks for playing

why is it that you have to be a dick in every reply?

Because he gets off on negative responses. There's a reason there's a parody Twitter page dedicated to this guy. Arguing with him is fruitless.

https://twitter.com/crashisstupid

Crash wrote:
Quit sucking up.  I have more than enough arrows slung my way in this thread for simply stating an opinion.  

Don't like it?  Don't read it.  

Quit posting hot garbage and people wouldn't be slinging arrows. Like you don't know from your past history what kind of response you're going to get... You're like the Skip Bayless of Steelers internet forums.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Crash
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:21 am

Quote :
Quit posting hot garbage and people wouldn't be slinging arrows.

Why is it garbage?  Because you don't agree with it?  

I'm sorry if facts get in the way of homer-ism.  

I'm not the one on this board degrading Ben Roethlisberger's career prior to 2012.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:56 am

Crash wrote:
Quote :
Quit posting hot garbage and people wouldn't be slinging arrows.

Why is it garbage?  Because you don't agree with it?  

I'm sorry if facts get in the way of homer-ism.  

I'm not the one on this board degrading Ben Roethlisberger's career prior to 2012.

Nobody is degrading his career. That's something you're making up because you're so stuck on Bruce Arians. Give it up man, he's gone. That was then, and this is now. Your insane infatuation with Bruce Arians, and hatred of Todd Haley is ridiculous.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:26 am

Here's something to think about. I don't think anyone (except Crash) will argue that Dick LeBeau was our best ever DC. He was shown the door the same way BA was.

I haven't seen or heard any negative press form his corner. WHY? Because he has class and isn't a douchebag legend in his own mind like Arians,PERIOD!!! That's a fact!
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:32 am

Haley wanted Jones as the starting QB? That's all I needed to read about "facts".

Who has the better offense? Steelers or the Cardinals?

This a one is easy. Let me show you he numbers:

Comparing the Arians' Cardinals offense to the Haley's Steelers offense:
BR7 has had more passing yards under Haley than his has under Arians since 2011
Cardinals offense ranks 99th in RPMQI, Steelers rank 5th
Arians is rated by the BBB as a B+; Haley is an A-

Eat your heart out.

Last edited by SteelersYak on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:36 am

solardave wrote:
Here's something to think about. I don't think anyone (except Crash) will argue that Dick LeBeau was our best ever DC. He was shown the door the same way BA was.

As I PREDICTED he would be before Haley coached one game. The scapegoat was fired. LeBeau had no one left to take the fall for his 4th quarter BS.

Back to top Go down
Crash
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:40 am

SteelersYak wrote:
Haley wanted Jones as the starting QB? That's all I needed to read about "facts".

Who has the better offense? Steelers or the Cardinals?

What Arians has gotten out the same Carson Palmer since he got there is a miracle considering how bad Palmer looked in Oakland, of course except when he played Dick LeBeau's defense.

I don't care about the Cardinals. I'm only concerned with the fact that this alleged great Steelers offense, with Ben supposedly playing his best football according to the sheep, A) Have scored 20 points or less on offense in 25 of their past 51 games, and B) Despite being told this is a "QB safe" offense, Ben can't stay on the field. Hell no Steelers QB's health has been safe in this offense.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   

Back to top Go down

Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: