HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:27 pm

The Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive reconstruction has been underway for four years now, with seven of the team's eight top-two-round draft picks since 2013 coming on the defensive side. One of those picks, cornerback Senquez Golson -- a mystery after being drafted in the second round of the 2015 draft -- would assuage a lot of concerns for the secondary if he carves out a versatile role.

At 5-foot-9 with quickness and zone-defense experience, Golson seems a natural fit in the slot. But Golson, who missed all of 2015 with a torn labrum, said the Steelers are working him on the inside and outside.

And Golson loves the outside. He's taking to the inside spot as well, but he thrives off the one-on-one matchups with bigger receivers by the sideline.

He feels size isn't an issue for him there. Just check his experience at Ole Miss, where he recorded 10 interceptions in his senior season. In his collegiate career, Golson matched up against the likes of Texas A&M's Mike Evans and Mizzou's Dorial Green-Beckham, both high draft picks in the NFL. First-round pick Laquon Treadwell, a former Ole Miss Rebel, was his biggest challenger at practice every day.

"Being 5-9, people think you really can’t play outside," Golson said. "I’ve played outside my whole career. All the guys that went in the first round, top 15-20 picks, wide receivers [from the SEC], I’ve got two, three years of film against them. It doesn’t matter to me. Different league, different stepping stone."

Read More: http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/19360/watch-my-sec-tape-5-9-senquez-golson-plans-to-play-big-for-steelers
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm going out on a limb and saying this "kid" is one of the keys to our season.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm

@jak341 wrote:
I'm going out on a limb and saying this "kid" is one of the keys to our season.

I don't think you're out on a limb. We need for him to show up in a big way. He's not a rookie. He's got that first year on the bench studying and now we'll find out if he learned any of coach Butler's defense. Shame on him if he didn't.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:28 am

Yeah we need him to show up big time. If we can shore up our secondary, this team will be a huge threat, look at how far we got with a questionable secondary last season. I hope guys like Golson, and Davis can come in and make a big difference this season.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:49 am

I really hope he ends up one of the building blocks to a much improved secondary.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:26 pm

gonna need our young players on defense to step up, because thanks to those idiots bryant and bell, we don't have an offense that can overcome a bad defense anymore
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:32 pm

maybe Golson can take some of the attention off Bell's stoopidity.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Hopefully Senquez can stay healthy enough to play.

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:59 am

Golson good to go

Friday was the day that Steelers cornerback Senquez Golson has been waiting all year for. After sitting out his rookie season, Golson was back on the field. The Steelers drafted Golson out of Ole Miss with hopes he'd make a serious impact in the secondary, but a shoulder injury has kept him from doing much of anything. He is among a trio of young defensive backs, alongside rookies Sean Davis and Artie Burns, leading a transitional period of the Steelers secondary. Unlike Davis and Burns, Golson had a full year to soak in everything mentally before entering his first true season in the NFL.

"I feel pretty good,” Golson said. “I’m definitely in great shape and ready to go. It’s been a crazy year for me, so I’m definitely anxious to get back out there and ready to go."

Eleven months out from surgery and almost two years removed from pads, it may take time for Golson to knock off the rust. When will that come back? "Probably getting the pads on and get banged around a couple times," he said.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-insider-golson-good-to-go-bell-practices-as-intended/article_6720e5be-55b4-11e6-bc87-4b6c1583d6e1.html

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Report: Steelers CB Senquez Golson Carted Off Monday With Injury

BY DAVE BRYAN AUGUST 1, 2016

Pittsburgh Steelers second-year cornerback Senquez Golson missed his entire rookie season due to a shoulder injury and now it appears he has suffered some sort of injury to his right ankle or foot during Monday’s training camp practice.

According to Bob Labriola of steelers.com, Golson visibly upset while being taken off field on a cart.

Golson, who was drafted by the Steelers in the second-round of the 2015 NFL Draft out of Mississippi, had been seeing a lot of work as the starting slot cornerback early on in training camp.

The fact that Golson was visibly upset is not a great initial sign. Hopefully the injury won’t keep him off the field for an extended amount of time.

After Golson left, rookie safety Sean Davis replaced him as the first-team slot cornerback.

Expect head coach Mike Tomlin to address Golson’s injury during his press conference at the conclusion of practice.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/report-steelers-cb-senquez-golson-carted-off-monday-injury/

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:38 pm

well shit there goes another season of bad secondary play
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Mid foot injury per Tomlin, not sure how serious.
Back to top Go down
fer69

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Bust

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Well, shit.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:07 am

He's faking it so he doesn't get hurt in the pre-season games

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Meaning he's probably done for the year.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:36 pm

@BlackAndGold wrote:

12 weeks from now is midseason. Still more likely for the season, as the recovery can be tough. The kid cant catch a break.

Look for the Steelers to try and add another CB after some other team cuts, if not sooner.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:37 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@BlackAndGold wrote:

12 weeks from now is midseason.  Still more likely for the season, as the recovery can be tough.  The kid cant catch a break.

Look for the Steelers to try and add another CB after some other team cuts, if not sooner.

A guy like Leon Hall is still available.

There is no "IR/designated to return" so they'll probably put him on IR and see where he is during the season.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Big blow for WJ3. Guess Hall may get a call to return?
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:52 pm

FRAGILE...

I think it's Italian or something!
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:06 pm

@dlolleyor
NFL Network reporting Golson has Lis Franc injury. If so, out up to 12 weeks. We'll see. Remember, it was reported Bell had 1 his 1st season

https://twitter.com/dlolleyor/status/760520108347232256

Meaning, maybe there is a 2nd opinion.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Lisfranc fracture curtailed Duce Staley's career. Hopefully its not a serious injury like that. They normally have to pin the bones together and immobilize for 6 weeks of healing of the tissue .
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Disappointing to say the least. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do on a professional stage. Doubtful we see much of him this year as I expect Davis and Burns to fight for the spot.

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Latest I heard was he's out for 12 weeks. Pretty much all season if it's true. Next man up.... Artie! Better learn the playbook. Lining up to cover the best in the bidnuss should help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers   

Back to top Go down

5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: