HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Ron Cook: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates

July 23, 2016
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Alameda Ta’amu. Mike Adams. Chris Rainey. LeGarrette Blount. Martavis Bryant. Le’Veon Bell. I apologize if I’m forgetting any Steelers miscreants from the past five years. There have been so many, it’s hard to keep track.

And, to think, we used to laugh at the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Steelers Way took another kick in the teeth Friday with the ESPN announcement that Bell is facing a four-game suspension for missing a drug test. It’s hard to say what this damages more — the team’s on-field product this season or its off-field reputation. Dan Rooney turned 84 Wednesday. It’s safe to say the Bell news ruined The Ambassador’s birthday week.

If Bell’s appeal is turned down, which is likely, the Steelers will play the first four games against Washington, Cincinnati, Philadelphia and Kansas City without two of their top four offensive stars — Bell and Bryant, who is suspended for the season because of multiple failed/missed drug tests. Keep your fingers crossed that Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown stay healthy. If they don’t, it’s going to be a very long season.

I admit, I’m no expert on addiction. Maybe Bell and Bryant have serious drug problems. Maybe it’s unfair to blame them for something they can’t control. If that’s the case, I hope they get treatment and find peace from their demons. Life is much more important than football.

But that doesn’t change the fact the Steelers can’t depend on Bell and Bryant. Bell was suspended for the first two games of 2015 after being arrested for marijuana with then-teammate Blount. He came back to play in Week 3 and was productive until a knee injury after a hit by the Bengals’ Vontaze Burfict in the eighth game ended his season. Bryant was suspended for the first four games last season. He returned to play in the final 11 regular-season games and had a huge game against the Bengals in the playoffs with a spectacular 10-yard touchdown catch and a 44-yard run.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2016/07/23/La-veon/stories/201607230049

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:16 pm

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.

And the Steelers NEED to make a statement here. What that statement is, and the extent, I am not sure.

But having 2 key pieces of your O out, one for the year and the other for a quarter of the season, is nothing to snivel at.
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:20 pm

The statement will be that the next non-essential player to step out of line will be dealt with severely!
Back to top Go down
Steeler Zach

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:12 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
And, to think, we used to laugh at the Cincinnati Bengals

I wasn't aware we stopped laughing at the Bungles.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:11 pm

@Steeler Zach wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
And, to think, we used to laugh at the Cincinnati Bengals

I wasn't aware we stopped laughing at the Bungles.

Zing!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:36 am

Jeremy Fowler - ESPN wrote:
The loss of Le’Veon Bell on the field is immense. But the Pittsburgh Steelers' front office might gain something else with his looming four-game suspension.

Cap space and dollars.

The mechanics of a Bell contract extension have shifted more than one of the tailback's deadly open-field cuts. The unsympathetic reality of the NFL is that healthy knees and trustworthiness equal money. Lately, Bell has been 0-for-2 in that area.

Now, the Steelers can enjoy Bell's production for at least 12 games without the pressure of dishing out an enormous long-term deal for the 2017 free agent. Bell's lost leverage lends flexibility to a team that has been strapped by the salary cap in recent years.

Rest of the article here.

I disagree with this article. If anything, I believe if Bell loses the appeal he's more likely to not be offered a long term contract and will leave in FA. Some other team will pay him his money. He's not going to take a paycut if he doesn't have to. And there are plenty of teams that will take a chance on him. Just increases the odds they get long term deals done with DeCastro and Brown.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 am

As much as I wanted to see Bell turn a corner, it doesn't look like that is going to happen now. This will be managements final straw with him and he basically just signed his walking papers for next year. If we dished our Super Bowl MVP the following season because of drug issues, do you really think they will keep around a kid, who granted has incredible talent, but has been injured heavily 2 of his 3 years, suspended once already, and who is facing another likely suspension this year? Injuries an organization can work with, repeated stupidity they cannot.

The likely response is, "well they are keeping Bryant around"...we shall see. That may simply be lip service, and you can bet your ass that Bryant, IF he comes back to the Steelers, won't be rapping about deserving $15 mil a year.

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:09 pm

Bell tweeted that he's NOT going to miss any games. We'll see...
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:28 pm

what kills me even more is, from what I've heard, this is about missing multiple drug tests not just one.

Again I ask, how do you miss multiple drug tests, let alone one?

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
steelcrazy

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:23 pm

@Drizztbob wrote:
As much as I wanted to see Bell turn a corner, it doesn't look like that is going to happen now.  This will be managements final straw with him and he basically just signed his walking papers for next year.  If we dished our Super Bowl MVP the following season because of drug issues, do you really think they will keep around a kid, who granted has incredible talent, but has been injured heavily 2 of his 3 years, suspended once already, and who is facing another likely suspension this year?  Injuries an organization can work with, repeated stupidity they cannot.

The likely response is, "well they are keeping Bryant around"...we shall see.  That may simply be lip service, and you can bet your ass that Bryant, IF he comes back to the Steelers, won't be rapping about deserving $15 mil a year.

couldn't have said it better myself Drizztbob..so I wont even try

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:59 am

Bell is claiming that he changed his phone number, but if you read the rules regarding drug testing, it's Bell's responsibility to notify the person in charge of doing the tests of a change in address, phone number, or anything else that would interfere with a scheduled testing session. I don't see him winning his appeal. If he does, great. But if he doesn't, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and start being more responsible.

The way I look at it, if I'm the NFL, Bell is responsible here for his actions. Ignorance of policy is not a viable excuse. It's no different than if I violated a policy at my own job, it's my responsibility to read, and understand the policies that govern employees. Same thing goes for Bell as an NFL player, working for the NFL, and if they let Bell use ignorance as an excuse, they're setting a dangerous precedent. Every player after Bell who gets suspended for the same thing, could cite Bell as a reason to get out of their suspension. I don't see the NFL letting Bell off the hook here.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 am

There is no CHANCE the NFL let's him off the hook. Might as well have said that the dog ate his mail and he never got it. They don't care that he changed his phone number, that's not their problem, it's his.

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:38 am

@Drizztbob wrote:
There is no CHANCE the NFL let's him off the hook.  Might as well have said that the dog ate his mail and he never got it.  They don't care that he changed his phone number, that's not their problem, it's his.

Precisely.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:21 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Bell is claiming that he changed his phone number, but if you read the rules regarding drug testing, it's Bell's responsibility to notify the person in charge of doing the tests of a change in address, phone number, or anything else that would interfere with a scheduled testing session. I don't see him winning his appeal. If he does, great. But if he doesn't, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and start being more responsible.

The way I look at it, if I'm the NFL, Bell is responsible here for his actions. Ignorance of policy is not a viable excuse. It's no different than if I violated a policy at my own job, it's my responsibility to read, and understand the policies that govern employees. Same thing goes for Bell as an NFL player, working for the NFL, and if they let Bell use ignorance as an excuse, they're setting a dangerous precedent. Every player after Bell who gets suspended for the same thing, could cite Bell as a reason to get out of their suspension. I don't see the NFL letting Bell off the hook here.

Agreed.  And his agent presumably walked him through any requirements to keep the NFL aware of valid contact information.

Bell is a clown.  

@stlrtruck wrote:
what kills me even more is, from what I've heard, this is about missing multiple drug tests not just one.

By getting high multiple times before it is time for another test you will fail
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:00 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Drizztbob wrote:
There is no CHANCE the NFL let's him off the hook.  Might as well have said that the dog ate his mail and he never got it.  They don't care that he changed his phone number, that's not their problem, it's his.

Precisely.

What if Bell informed the proper NFL reps of his phone # change and they didn't communicate with the drug testing team? This is what a good attorney is for.

If all else fails, I can prove that the weather is the real issue here and propose that the Steelers and Rooneys bash the NFL for such an outrageous policy.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:21 am

I hope he ends up beating this and winning his appeal, on the same token, I also hope Bell learns a lesson from this and starts making better decisions so he doesn't end up in these types of situations to begin with.

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

Like Kirkland said, If Bell can prove he told the NFL that he changed his number, and they somehow forgot, I see no reason why he should be suspended.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:43 am

I hope he wins the appeal. Even though it will give him a "Ha, gotcha NFL" sort of thing. I feel like sometimes the NFL is picking on the players.

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:43 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:

Stage 2 of the policy, he is tested as many as 10 times in 30 days and I believe 3x in one week - change a number, which is plausible, and miss 3 straight attempts in 3 or 4 days? IDK

http://steelcityunderground.com
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:55 pm

And some podcasts (also available on iTunes, Google Play, etc.) talking about the Bell incident, fallout, etc.

http://steelcityunderground.com
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:20 pm

first of all , in todays pass happy NFL , RB is not a position that should ever be a big cap hit.

if bell is serious about expecting 15 million a year , if i'm rooney i'd laugh in his face and wave buh bye.
even without the injuries and suspension(s) , i wouldn't offer more than 9 - 10 mill.

seen an interview with aaron rodgers...he was asked , "if he had the choice , would he take grade A linemen and D grade receivers and RB's....or would he take D grade linemen and A grade receivers and backs...
he chose the grade A linemen. when asked to explain , he said good linemen give him extra time to see the field and even lesser receivers can get open if given the time.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:19 am

@SteelersYak wrote:
I hope he wins the appeal.  Even though it will give him a "Ha, gotcha NFL" sort of thing.  I feel like sometimes the NFL is picking on the players.  

I would say this is most likely due to the NFL's handling of the cheating scandals and other 'egg on the face' moments Der Kommish has screwed up over the years.

IMO, although Bell did break the rules, Goodell needs himself to be in good light and upholding the 'integrity' of the shield. Unfortunately, no matter how much he tries to clean up the NFL, he will never be able to remove the stains he himself has put there.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:28 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
@SteelersYak wrote:
I hope he wins the appeal.  Even though it will give him a "Ha, gotcha NFL" sort of thing.  I feel like sometimes the NFL is picking on the players.  

I would say this is most likely due to the NFL's handling of the cheating scandals and other 'egg on the face' moments  Der Kommish has screwed up over the years.

IMO, although Bell did break the rules, Goodell needs himself to be in good light and upholding the 'integrity' of the shield.  Unfortunately, no matter how much he tries to clean up the NFL, he will never be able to remove the stains he himself has put there.

Short of public execution in the middle of the field at halftime, the NFL knows NOTHING can stop them. WE, the fans will not stop watching and they know it. No matter how much they take away from the game or who's playing. NFL fans are cemented.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:34 pm

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Smoke it up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates   

Back to top Go down

Le'Veon Bell is latest Steelers player to embarrass ownership, teammates
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: