HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown has a base salary of $6.25 million for the 2016 season, which puts him below receivers like Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd and others who have been less productive over recent years.

Brown’s desire for a bump in pay led to a brief absence from Steelers offseason work in 2015, but there was no replay this year as Brown worked with the team following his time on “Dancing With the Stars.” That fits with the Steelers’ expectation that he’ll honor his contract without issue, but doesn’t mean Brown has given up hope of a sweetened deal.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Brown is “hopeful and confident” that the team will address his contract before the start of the regular season. That could come by way of an extension, although Brown’s deal won’t be up until after the 2017 season, or it could come by some other arrangement that boosts Brown’s pay in 2016. That’s something the Steelers did last year by taking $2 million of his 2016 salary and moving it forward, so they could take a similar approach while leaving full extension talks for the future.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/27/report-antonio-brown-hopeful-confident-contract-will-be-addressed-before-season/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:41 am

bump some money up this year then talk contract this coming off season.

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:16 am

I say get it done now so they can focus on other players in the off-season.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:42 am

Antonio Brown faces uphill battle in contract talks with Steelers

Antonio Brown is the most underpaid veteran in the NFL. Playing on a contract worth millions less than his market value, Brown’s numbers the last three years are staggering.

The Steelers wide receiver has done everything in his power to earn a raise, but with two years remaining on his contract, it is an uphill battle for him to receive that raise.

In 2012, the Steelers were embroiled in a contract dispute with Mike Wallace, who was considered their top target at the time, that seemed to have no hope of being resolved. Instead they decided to sign Brown to a five-year contract extension worth just under $8.4 million per season rather than continuing to pursue Wallace.

It actually was a risky contract for the Steelers. Brown had been a non-factor as a rookie before his 1,100-yard season in 2011. There is always the fear of the one-season wonder, and in general, the NFL does not reward low draft picks with big contracts unless they prove themselves over and over again.

So when the Steelers offered a contract that was in line with some of the higher-paid receivers in the NFL, Brown agreed to the deal. The Steelers were betting on Brown with the hope they would reap the reward in the final years of the contract if the receiver market increased.

The Steelers clearly made the right call.

READ MORE: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-contract-steelers-salary-value-extension/od6wlpu5g6c81r48jih8lzc4v

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert addressed Antonio Brown's contract situation on the Steelers Radio Network. "We don't renegotiate contracts with more than one year remaining with the exception of quarterbacks. Antonio's under contract," Colbert said. "He's a great player. You can't say enough good things about him. But he's a professional. He respects the process, as do we. We'll see where things end up."

I don't like this. Just the fact that it already has an exception with the QB makes it a poor policy. Whether it's a QB or another player, exceptions are made. AB is worthy of an exception. A guy like Timmons making more than AB, when both situations could be rectified is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:06 pm

start renegotiating with two or more then two years left on a players contract now could come back and hurt the Steelers in the future.

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:38 am

Antonio Brown wants more money, but ‘would never hold out’

Steelers wideout Antonio Brown would like a new contract, but he won’t hold out of training camp to get one.

“I would never hold out,” Brown told reporters after practice on Sunday. “I’ve never held out. I’m a first-class guy in any relationship. The first way of getting better is showing up, so I’m always going to show up and do my part and be ready to go.”

Brown, who a two-time All-Pro receiver who set a pair of franchise records with 136 receptions for 1,834 yards last season, has two years and $16.7 million left on the five-year deal he signed back in 2012. Bengals wideout A.J. Green, another top receiver in the league, earns $15 million annually.

Pittsburgh’s star would like to make something similar.

“I can’t really fight what the rules are,” Brown continued. “You have to take care of your guys. If a guy underperforms you get rid of him. If a guy overperforms you take care of him.”

READ MORE: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/07/31/steelers-antonio-brown-contract-holdout#

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:56 am

He's handling this situation great. You'll get your money AB. Just wait.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:39 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:

And since he's at camp, and he's out earning his money, if he has another great year, then he's only solidifying the idea the Steelers need to sign him which in turn will mean Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money!

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 pm

I would have to imagine that David Decastro's contract is more important at this point. I'd resign Dave first since this is the last year of his rookie contract and then resign Antonio next year when there may be more cap space available.

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Colbert doesn't foresee Steelers' stance on Brown contract changing

One player whom the Steelers do not, by team policy, deem eligible for an extension at this time is All-Pro receiver Antonio Brown, who has caught more passes than any receiver over a three-season span in NFL history and has two years remaining on a deal he signed in 2012.

Brown is hoping to get a raise or sign an extension. Colbert reiterated the Steelers' long-held policy that non-quarterbacks will not have existing deals re-worked until they are about to enter the final season of their contracts.

“What I said publicly is we believe in our philosophy, and I don't see that changing,” Colbert said when asked about Brown. “I've never addressed any player individually.”

READ MORE: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10907571-74/season-steelers-colbert

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:40 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

And since he's at camp, and he's out earning his money, if he has another great year, then he's only solidifying the idea the Steelers need to sign him which in turn will mean Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money!
exactly. top tier player contracts don't decrease from year to year they increase every year. reworking his contract this year instead of waiting for the "going price" to go up, could potentionaly save millions.
today you may get him for $15 million a year , next year it might cost you $17 million a year.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:05 am

Brown deserves to get paid. He has well outplayed his contract, he's one of the hardest workers on the football team, and he has also been an asset on special teams. He's easily the most electrifying player in the NFL. He's not getting paid like it, and I think he's the special kind of player that comes around once in a generation and the Steelers should make an exception and pay the man.

I don't see it happening though, but this is one guy, that's so good, and I think it'd be best if we signed him on as a Steeler for his career.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season   

Back to top Go down

Antonio Brown confident contract will be addressed before season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: