HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Training Camp is here!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:48 am

Definitely will have our young dbs as my primary focus.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:13 am

@BlackAndGold wrote:
Keep an eye on Chickillo

The Pittsburgh Steelers are stockpiling pass-rushers

Coming out of college, Anthony Chickillo was a puzzle for scouts.

A five-star recruit ranked by Rivals.com as the third-best defensive end in the country coming out of high school, many would claim Chickillo was misused at Miami, as he was asked to add weight and play more of a 3-4 defensive end position during his time with the Hurricanes.

“I didn’t play the position I wanted to play in college,” said Chickillo. “I just did what the coaches asked me to do there. I was really fortunate to come here and have the coaches that I do, coaches that believe in me and what I can do. I just love being here.”

A huge factor in Chickillo’s renewed love for the game has been Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebackers coach Joey Porter, who becomes excited when talking about the young linebacker’s progress from Year One to Year Two.

“I think Chickillo made a whole lot of headway transforming from a D-lineman to a true outside linebacker,” said Porter. “He looks good and moves good.”

The affinity is mutual, as Chickillo credits Porter with not only his physical and athletic development, but also his growing awareness of “the game within the game," and how he can exploit certain matchups as a pass rusher.

“I’m better at having a plan and using my hands now,” Chickillo said. “Coach Porter helps me a lot at seeing what kind of guy you have in front of you and figuring out different ways you can beat that guy. Seeing how he’s lined up, what kind of stance he’s in, down and distance, that determines a lot. All those ways you can get that edge before the ball is snapped.”

Read more: http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1690885-practice-report-keep-an-eye-on-chickillo

this is music to my ears. I'd enjoy watching Porter help convert Chickillo to a solid OLB. Perhaps Dupree and Chickillo can be the top OLB tandem by next season?
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:55 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@BlackAndGold wrote:
Keep an eye on Chickillo

The Pittsburgh Steelers are stockpiling pass-rushers

Coming out of college, Anthony Chickillo was a puzzle for scouts.

A five-star recruit ranked by Rivals.com as the third-best defensive end in the country coming out of high school, many would claim Chickillo was misused at Miami, as he was asked to add weight and play more of a 3-4 defensive end position during his time with the Hurricanes.

“I didn’t play the position I wanted to play in college,” said Chickillo. “I just did what the coaches asked me to do there. I was really fortunate to come here and have the coaches that I do, coaches that believe in me and what I can do. I just love being here.”

A huge factor in Chickillo’s renewed love for the game has been Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebackers coach Joey Porter, who becomes excited when talking about the young linebacker’s progress from Year One to Year Two.

“I think Chickillo made a whole lot of headway transforming from a D-lineman to a true outside linebacker,” said Porter. “He looks good and moves good.”

The affinity is mutual, as Chickillo credits Porter with not only his physical and athletic development, but also his growing awareness of “the game within the game," and how he can exploit certain matchups as a pass rusher.

“I’m better at having a plan and using my hands now,” Chickillo said. “Coach Porter helps me a lot at seeing what kind of guy you have in front of you and figuring out different ways you can beat that guy. Seeing how he’s lined up, what kind of stance he’s in, down and distance, that determines a lot. All those ways you can get that edge before the ball is snapped.”

Read more: http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1690885-practice-report-keep-an-eye-on-chickillo

this is music to my ears.  I'd enjoy watching Porter help convert Chickillo to a solid OLB.  Perhaps Dupree and Chickillo can be the top OLB tandem by next season?

We need any young OLB to step up. Not a strong position at the moment.

Hopefully Chick, Dupree take big steps this year.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:40 pm

Observations from the Steelers' first padded practice

August 1, 2016
By Ray Fittipaldo/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Some observations from the first padded practice of training camp:

While everyone else was watching the backs on backers Sunday I ventured down to the other end of the field to watch the offensive linemen go against the defensive linemen in a run blocking drill.

• Rookie fourth-round pick Jerald Hawkins looked like someone who played at LSU. In other words, he knows how to run block. Later in practice, when the offensive line and defensive line did one-on-one pass rush drills, it became more evident why Hawkins lasted until the fourth round. Second-year outside linebacker Anthony Chickillo beat him easily with an inside move on his first rep. Hawkins is probably going to have a redshirt year – the Steelers flat-out said he came out of college a year early on the day he was drafted – but it’s evident that he has the tools to become a quality player someday. It just might take some time.

• The centers must hate one-on-one drills. Taking on Big Dan McCullers is no picnic. In run drills he is almost impossible to move. In pass rush drills he simply bull rushes whoever is in front of him. Cody Wallace actually holds his own against McCullers in the run drills. Maurkice Pouncey, by the way, didn’t take many reps in either drill. Coach Mike Tomlin said he was going to have a plan for Pouncey this summer and it appears he’ll be paced. It’s a smart move with him coming off a leg injury that took several surgeries to finally fix last fall.

• When McCullers is subbed out in passing situations this season rookie Javon Hargrave should come in. He was excellent in pass rush drills against Chris Hubbard, whipping the third-year pro twice. Hargrave has a great first step. I’m now waiting for defensive line coach John Mitchell to have him go against Wallace or Pouncey. Hargrave wasn’t bad in the run drills, but it’s easy to see why there is some apprehension playing him in the base defense. His size could be a definite disadvantage if an offensive lineman gets his hands on him.

• One player who didn’t impress was Ricardo Matthews, the free agent who was signed to replace Cam Thomas. Matthews went up against left tackle Alejandro Villanueva in the run drill and got pancaked. Mitchell then yelled at the seven-year pro for not being ready at the snap.

• Depth along the defensive line remains a grave concern for me. I just don’t know if there are NFL caliber players behind McCullers, Hargrave, Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt. There were no standouts among the young players in camp behind the starters.

• B.J. Finney, who spent most of last season on the practice squad, is solid as a rock in pass protection and in run drills. My eyes tell me Finney is better than Hubbard, but Hubbard seems to be a favorite of the coaches. Hubbard can play all three positions; Finney can play just center and guard. Finney is the perfect replacement for Wallace, who is in the final year of his contract. The Steelers will have to get him through waivers though if they want to put him on the practice squad again.

• Until he was injured in practice Sunday, fullback Rosie Nix had been showing off some quality hands as a receiver out of the backfield. He made a nice diving catch in the end zone during seven shots before getting “shaken up” in the first 11-on-11 drill of the afternoon. Tomlin said he’s being evaluated.

• Xavier Grimble looks really strong in the passing game, but he had to leave practice for a second consecutive day with heat exhaustion. Grimble, who spent last season on the practice squad, can run and he has a pretty good set of hands.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Steelers-Blog/2016/08/01/Observations-from-the-first-padded-practice/stories/201608010117
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:04 pm

Hey folks, any word of Doran Grant at camp so far? Wondering if they are working him on the outside with Gay, Cockrell, Burns, or trying him in the slot?
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:45 pm

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:47 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hey folks, any word of Doran Grant at camp so far?  Wondering if they are working him on the outside with Gay, Cockrell, Burns, or trying him in the slot?

Back to top Go down
bayz101

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:32 am

@BlackAndGold wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hey folks, any word of Doran Grant at camp so far?  Wondering if they are working him on the outside with Gay, Cockrell, Burns, or trying him in the slot?

He was great at OSU, hopefully he develops. Not much to compete against with our DB's.

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:34 am

Steelers prank DeAngelo Williams by putting 750 balloons in his room

It’s been an eventful past week for Pittsburgh Steelers veteran running back DeAngelo Williams, and for very unusual reasons.

You may have heard how he got married on Saturday… at a zombie-themed wedding.

Well, now he’s at Steelers training camp, and already getting pranked by his teammates. The Steelers apparently have a running joke about Williams being an “old” running back at the age of 33. ESPN covered the story a few days ago:

Steelers players have started singing “Happy Birthday” to Williams at the beginning of practices, a nod to his 33 years on earth. Williams’ birthday is April 25, but fans have started joining in because they hear the players singing it.

“I don’t think it’s funny, but everybody else thinks it’s funny,” Williams said with a laugh. “What’s the worst is somebody comes up and has no idea and is like, ‘Hey man, happy birthday,’ and I’m like, ‘It’s not my birthday,’ and they are like, ‘Well, why did somebody say happy birthday to you?'”

READ MORE: http://thecomeback.com/nfl/video-steelers-prank-deangelo-williams-by-putting-750-balloons-in-his-room.html

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:48 pm

@bayz101 wrote:
@BlackAndGold wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

He was great at OSU, hopefully he develops. Not much to compete against with our DB's.

Read he had a solid day yesterday, hopefully he continues to get better.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Tune into SportsCenter, they're showing tonight's practice live.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:08 pm

one of the reporters on SportsCenter said that The Steelers feels confident that Bell will be available week 1 against Washington...
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:32 am

A couple of notes from 'backs vs. 'backers':

Anthony Chickillo, Tyler Matakevich and Roosevelt Nix were the stars of the drill.

After Chickillo repeatedly beat Jesse James, Tomlin asked for a Chickillo-Nix matchup and got one as Chickillo beat the fullback on a bull rush.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/08/steelers_camp_backs_backers.html

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Roster moves they made yesterday.

I think Severin stays on IR so he can return to camp next season.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Getting excited about all the positive reports on Chickillo.

If he breaks out along with Dupree....
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:36 pm

Also,

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Brown, Coates, Rogers could be the future trio (Bryant can be apart of it also, it's up to him)
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Bud Dupree has a groin injury

LATROBE -- Bud Dupree won't practice Sunday.

He has a bruised left groin, he said, and hopes to return in time for the Pittsburgh Steelers' joint practices with the Detroit Lions on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Dupree hasn't practiced since Aug. 3 and had his left thigh wrapped and iced toward the end of the team's Friday night practice at Latrobe Memorial Stadium.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/08/steelers_bud_dupree_groin.html

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:37 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
Bud Dupree has a groin injury

LATROBE -- Bud Dupree won't practice Sunday.

He has a bruised left groin, he said, and hopes to return in time for the Pittsburgh Steelers' joint practices with the Detroit Lions on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Dupree hasn't practiced since Aug. 3 and had his left thigh wrapped and iced toward the end of the team's Friday night practice at Latrobe Memorial Stadium.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/08/steelers_bud_dupree_groin.html

bruised groin? did he piss off cody wallace?
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Matthews, Hargrave, Walton are looking great.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:23 pm

If anyone is wondering about how the punters have looked

Don't think the competition has been close.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:11 am

Wanted to post that NFL network will be showing the Steelers & Lions game live this Friday.

And they'll also show the game against the Eagles next week.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:19 pm

I absolutely loathe this time of year. Everyday that doesn't have an injury notification is a great day.

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:03 am

Lions CB Darius Slay said Steelers Antonio Brown tried to kill him

By: Neal Coolong

Most cornerbacks lose when attempting to defend Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown. Lions CB Darius Slay can attest to that now after Detroit and Pittsburgh wrapped up joint practices at Saint Vincent College leading into Saturday’s preseason opener.

Brown is the NFL’s most prolific receiver over the past three seasons for a reason. For many reasons, actually. One of them is his level of conditioning, and that seemed to be what impressed Slay the most.

Brown ran three consecutive go-routes Tuesday, according to Detroit Free Press reporter Dave Birkett, hauling in two of them for big receptions and dropping a third.

“Oh man, the first one I said I expected that for the crowd, that was cool,” Slay said. “But three of them in a row I was like, ‘Oh my goodness, I’m already fitting to die here.’ Like, ‘Come on, you’re going to run another deep route?’ He said, ‘I’m going deep all day Slay. ‘I said, ‘No you cannot. I’m not fixing to go with you more today. Not today.’

“He tried to kill me, man.”

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/11/steelers-lions-practices-antonio-brown-darius-slay/

Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:50 am

@SteelersYak wrote:
I absolutely loathe this time of year.  Everyday that doesn't have an injury notification is a great day.

I hold my breath every morning as I catch up on what's going on in training camp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training Camp is here!!!   

Back to top Go down

Training Camp is here!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: