HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:48 am

LATROBE – While the Pirates still try to figure out their pitching rotation three quarters of the way through their season, the Steelers are hoping to scrap the one they used last year.

Pittsburgh rotated outside linebackers Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, James Harrison and Arthur Moats, though it wasn’t always an even split.

On the left side, the veteran Moats and rookie Bud Dupree split time almost evenly despite Moats starting 11 games and Dupree five.

On the other side, however, it was Harrison playing 55 percent of the snaps and leading the Steelers’ linebackers in playing time despite Jones starting 15 of the 16 games.

That could change.

Outside linebackers coach Joey Porter said Sunday the Steelers have high expectations for Jones and Dupree, who opened training camp at Saint Vincent College as the starters.

“I don’t think the rotation will be what it was,” Porter said. “If (Jones and Dupree) are going to play like we think they can, I’m going to play the hot hand.”

Part of the issue is age. At 38, Harrison, a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year, can’t be counted on to handle the 611 snaps he played last season. The Steelers want to scale back that number.

“I hope he’s got a Super Bowl left in him. I hope that,” defensive coordinator Keith Butler said. “He can help us just by his work ethic and what he does on the field. He’s going to help us rest those guys now and then. We’ll see.”

The Steelers selected Jones and Dupree as first-round draft picks in 2013 and 2015, respectively, to become starters if not stars. And they believe the time has come for them to pay dividends.

“Those two are the future,” Porter said. “The rotation came from the fact we have to get some production some way. If those guys get hot, those guys are our starters. You can’t justify taking anybody off the field if they’re hot. It just doesn’t make any sense.”

Read More: http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160731/steelers_want_to_scrap_linebacker_rotation#.V59QJ_2OslM.twitter
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:12 am

Its time to shut up about having "high expectations for Jarvis Jones this season".
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Its time to shut up about having "high expectations for Jarvis Jones this season".  

This is Jones' chance to prove his worth. If he doesn't I say bus him off to Cleveland. He's been here plenty long enough and needs to pay dividends.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:55 am

On The Steelers: Porter sets a high bar for Jones, Dupree in 2016

Joey Porter has waited long enough, waited to see his old outside linebacker position become a dominant force on the Steelers defense again.

He thinks this will be the year, and he provided somewhat of a surprise prediction or two. He believes both former No. 1 draft picks, Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree, can put the outside linebackers on the sack map again.

Jones? “If he stays healthy, I still see him being a guy who can give you double-digit sacks. I really do.”

Dupree? “I’m expecting double-digit sacks out of him, too.”

No Steelers player has had 10 sacks since James Harrison (10.5) and LaMarr Woodley (10) did it six seasons ago.

With that, Porter believes both starters will play more often than last season, when he rotated them with veterans Arthur Moats and Harrison. This season, he said they will not leave the field if they are producing.

“Last year, a lot of times I pulled [Dupree] out of the game, a learning experience. I can’t really justify myself doing that now. If those guys are out there doing it and they know the defense, there’s no reason to pull them.”

Read More: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/08/02/On-The-Steelers-can-Jarvis-Jones-Bud-Dupree-reach-Joey-Porter-expectations-in-2016/stories/201608010155
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:04 pm

Joey Porter: No more patience for Jarvis Jones

Posted by Josh Alper on August 5, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT

Much has been made this offseason of the need for the Steelers to see a bigger return on the high draft picks they’ve used on the defensive side of the ball over the last few years.

Linebacker Jarvis Jones is part of that group and he’s one of the players that Pittsburgh is counting on playing a big role in a more effective defense this season. Jones got off to a good start last year, but a wrist injury a few weeks into the season knocked him out for much of the year and Jones didn’t contribute much upon his return to the lineup.

Outside linebackers coach Joey Porter said he thinks that Jones can make an impact and shares what he told Jones about how urgent it is that he make that impact this season.

“The first year was the first year, you don’t judge that,” Porter said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “The second year I thought you started off pretty good. You had two sacks in the first three games and then you got hurt. So they’ll be patient with you then. But please believe they’re counting on you to have a big year this year, they are. You’re going to get scrutinized, I’m going to get scrutinized. I’m going to help you the best I can to play at a high level. You put in the work to prepare yourself to play at a high level, and we’ll go from there.”

Jones says he feels comfortable and “playing a whole lot faster” as he prepares for his third season. As Porter says, that will need to translate to the field or the Steelers will have to start looking elsewhere for a building block of future defenses.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/05/joey-porter-no-more-patience-for-jarvis-jones/

Same old rhetoric year after year.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:45 pm

We're never going to shut up about Jarvis.
Back to top Go down
schillah

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:38 am

good...never liked rotation at that position

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:42 am

It's a sink or swim year for Jones .. he's either going to do it or he's not going to be a Steeler next year. He did several things well last season, sacking the QB wasn't one of them. Hopefully he can get the pass rush together and allow the Steelers to worry about another position this year (secondary or D-line).
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:48 am

kirklandrules wrote:
It's a sink or swim year for Jones .. he's either going to do it or he's not going to be a Steeler next year. He did several things well last season, sacking the QB wasn't one of them. Hopefully he can get the pass rush together and allow the Steelers to worry about another position this year (secondary or D-line).

Agreed, this is only year 4 for him (feels like he has been disappointing for longer), but he hasn't shown much promise of getting to the QB in his first 3 seasons. I'd love to see consistent pressure and 8+ sacks from him, but in the end I think he will be a guy that gets 2 sacks and is outplayed by Moats and Harrison again.

Of the pass rushers that year, tough to say who is a bigger disappointment...Jones or Mingo?
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:02 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

Agreed, this is only year 4 for him (feels like he has been disappointing for longer), but he hasn't shown much promise of getting to the QB in his first 3 seasons.  I'd love to see consistent pressure and 8+ sacks from him, but in the end I think he will be a guy that gets 2 sacks and is outplayed by Moats and Harrison again.

Of the pass rushers that year, tough to say who is a bigger disappointment...Jones or Mingo?

I thought last year was sink or swim time for Jones. However, this is his 3rd FULL year.

Someone called into the Tounch and Wolfe show last year with NFL stats showing that LBs make the biggest leap in production in year 3. Hopefully, this will hold true for Jones.

If he doesn't, he will be gone for sure.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:56 pm

jak341 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

Agreed, this is only year 4 for him (feels like he has been disappointing for longer), but he hasn't shown much promise of getting to the QB in his first 3 seasons.  I'd love to see consistent pressure and 8+ sacks from him, but in the end I think he will be a guy that gets 2 sacks and is outplayed by Moats and Harrison again.

I thought last year was sink or swim time for Jones. However, this is his 3rd FULL year.

Someone called into the Tounch and Wolfe show last year with NFL stats showing that LBs make the biggest leap in production in year 3. Hopefully, this will hold true for Jones.

If he doesn't, he will be gone for sure.

I have a feeling Jones will be gone regardless of his performance. If he doesn't pick up his sack production, the Steelers won't resign him. If he has 10 sacks, he'll sign elsewhere for more than what the Steelers will offer him.

The only way I see him sticking around is if he is a 6 or 7 sack guy and the Steelers think he'll continue to improve (therefore, signing for a smaller deal).
Back to top Go down
bayz101

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:36 am

Year three is a big year for LB'ers. It's time for Jones to have a big year.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:17 am

I'm ready to scrap this losing in the playoffs crap and transition back in to winning SBs!

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Jones, Dupree key to ending Steelers' OLB rotation

By Mark Kaboly

In a perfect world, Bud Dupree and Jarvis Jones would be the guys. Period.

No splitting snaps. No guess work. No series-by-series rotation. Nothing that resembled how the Steelers approached their outside linebacker position from a year ago.

In a perfect Steelers world, it would be their pair of first-round rush outside linebackers getting on the field more than the others.

But the NFL isn't a perfect world, and defensive coordinator Keith Butler has been around long enough, and outside linebacker coach Joey Porter played long enough to understand that.

So, for now, the Steelers will remain in a wait-and-see mode on how to handle their outside linebackers with an eye on scrapping the rotation altogether.

“I don't think you close any options right now,” Butler said. “You always keep your options alive. If the guy is better than the other guy, then you don't want to take him off the field.”

The Steelers could employ another outside-linebacker-by-committee approach like last year. Or it could be any combination of Jones, Dupree, Arthur Moats and James Harrison. And if nearly two weeks of training camp is any indication, Anthony Chickillo also could be in the mix.

READ MORE: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10825365-74/steelers-dupree-jones

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times   

Back to top Go down

Steelers want to scrap linebacker rotation, keep Jones, Dupree on field at all times
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: