HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:23 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell  

Keith Butler agrees with me that Artie Burns is showing more intensity in practice this week and "I think he's covering 84 better."

Doesn't dismiss the notion that the arrival of Justin Gilbert has motivated Burns. "If it is, I'll take it," Butler said.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I like hearing this.  The one thing about Burns is that he seems like he is ready to work and take coaching to be his best.  No concerns about him wanting to work.

Likewise, if Gilbert takes the clean slate and thinks he can be the backup to Gay, then great too!!  Not much better than 2 young athletes competing for the same CB job which would put Will Gay inside in nickel, or push Cockrell to the #4CB.  

I agree. The other thing I like is that by all accounts, Cockrell is a cerebral player that really embraces the work required to master his craft. Having a young guy like Cockrell ahead of these guys in the depth chart, with him being a guy that does the dirty work and really prepares himself at a high level, can only help both directly from Cockrell's play, and from his example to the other younger CB's as to what is necessary to prepare at this level.

Having a grasp of the defensive playbook, understanding route trees, understanding the purpose of technique in multiple coverages with position, hand use, and footwork is essential if you want to get better and also stay on the field in all situations.

Burns and Gilbert need to feed off of Gay and Cockrell's work ethic and desire, and incorporate it into their football being.

Besides that, how are they not motivated by the maniacal preparation and work that Antonio Brown puts into the game every.....single.....day? Getting lit up in practice and seeing the results of that work and preparation that AB inflicts upon NFL defenses on Sundays should have the light go on in their heads.

Cause and effect.

If the talent is really there and they apply themselves and work hard, the talent should start to show on the field in time.

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Artie Burns covering Antonio Brown and more about the Pittsburgh Steelers

Jim Wexell

Keith Butler starting to get excited about the future of his secondary

PITTSBURGH -- In his return from a three-week injury absence last week, Artie Burns intercepted at least three passes in practices and his standard remark was "I don't get paid to intercept passes in practice."

He intercepted another pass yesterday, on a haphazard throwback over the middle by the pressured look-team quarterback, but nobody was even asking Burns, or his defensive coach, about that. They were asking about the noticeable uptick in Burns' intensity, and, therefore, his performance.

"This week Artie's been working hard," said coordinator Keith Butler. "I think he's covering 84 (Antonio Brown) a little bit better, and that's how I judge it. He's staying a little bit closer to him."

Butler was asked if the acquisition of Justin Gilbert, who's joined Burns on the second unit, has perhaps lit a fire under Burns, the Steelers' first-round draft pick.

"I don't know, but I'll take it," Butler said. "I don't care what the reasons are. I just like how he's working."

Brown, or ABI, agreed with Butler's assessment of Burns, or ABII.

"Yeah, he's definitely getting better," said Brown. "That's what we're going to need from him. We're going to need him to step up. He's definitely been taking extra reps, looking like he's back to health and he's doing a great job."

Has it been the acquisition of Gilbert?

"Nah, just getting my reps," said Burns. "I've been practicing for a week and a half and I'm getting more comfortable, feeling good with my technique. I just keep on improving every day."

With Gilbert still learning the playbook, Burns would likely be the second rookie off the bench behind nickel back Sean Davis, this year's second-round pick. All three of the newcomers -- Gilbert, Burns and Davis -- are in the 6-0/6-1, 200-pound range size-wise and ran between 4.37 and 4.46 at their respective NFL Combines.

Neither of the three long, fast, young defensive backs are among the Steelers' first four, but the group is giving Butler a sense of excitement about the future of the secondary.

"We've got a lot of talent there," Butler said. "It's a matter of getting playing time. If they stay healthy and get their work, I think we'll be pretty good down the stretch."

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1704525-notebook-steelers-see-strides-from-burns

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:32 am

Quote :
"We've got a lot of talent there," Butler said. "It's a matter of getting playing time. If they stay healthy and get their work, I think we'll be pretty good down the stretch."

Getting the new guys to perform well in the second half of the season is a realistic expectation. Gilbert might be able to contribute a little faster since this is his 3rd year, but I'll be happy to see these guys making plays any time after the 8th game.
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:06 am

I'm so hoping this is the secondary of the future and begins the transition to Man/Press..
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:49 am

BKAnthem wrote:
I'm so hoping this is the secondary of the future and begins the transition to Man/Press..

I don't. In todays NFL with all the rules of contact favoring the WR's, all a WR has to do is beat a jam or run a crossing route to get open, or draw a PI penalty in a jump ball situation. Mixing up coverages and playing some man is ok, but IMO, playing press man exclusively is asking for a lot of penalties.

Plus, a crappy QB like Bob Griffin can scramble for yardage when everybody is playing man and not watching the QB.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:05 am

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:32 pm

I'm really surprised with how fast this kid is coming along. Honestly I didn't think he'd play much this year, but already 41% of the snaps in a big divisional game and he's looked good for the most part. Still a ways to go, but by the end of this year I feel he's going to be a baller
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   

Back to top Go down

Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: