HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

R.I.P. Ralph Berlin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: R.I.P. Ralph Berlin   Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:22 am

Another character who was part of the 70s Steelers passes

Ralph Berlin / Former trainer for Steelers, known as The Plumber
July 22, 1935 - Aug. 2, 2016

Ralph Berlin was known as The Plumber when he worked as a trainer for the Steelers through the glory days of the 1970s and into the next two decades. But he really didn’t know anything about pipes or repairing drains.

However, he was very good about making sure there weren’t any leaks.

If someone in the media asked Mr. Berlin what was going on within the team, “He would answer, ‘Gee, I’d love to help you, I’m the plumber. I just tape ankles and that,’” said former Steelers scouting director Art Rooney Jr., the person initially responsible for Mr. Berlin spending 24 years with the franchise.

“If someone said, look Ralph, you have to do this, he’d say, ‘I’m just a plumber,’” said team chairman Dan Rooney, who hired Mr. Berlin in 1968. “And he made it stick.”

Mr. Berlin, who spent 23 seasons working with Chuck Noll and became a close confidant of team founder Art Rooney Sr. and sons Dan and Art Jr., died Tuesday. He was 81...

Even after he retired in 1992, Mr. Berlin remained active with the team. He would accompany the team each year to the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, including the most recent one in February, and would help current trainer John Norwig with preseason physicals.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/obituaries/2016/08/05/Obituary-Ralph-Berlin-Former-trainer-for-Steelers-known-as-The-Plumber/stories/201608050111

Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Ralph Berlin   Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:58 pm

R.I.P. Mr. Berlin

my favorite type of person. "you grin your in."

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Ralph Berlin   Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:08 am

R.I.P. and thanks for you loyalty/service. Prayers for his family.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Ralph Berlin   

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Ralph Berlin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: