HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation   Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:57 am

By Nunzio Ingrassia

Preseason games haven't begun yet, but Ben Roethlisberger is already fretting about the current state of the Pittsburgh Steelers' tight end situation.

The Steelers' high-priced tight end Ladarius Green, who signed a four-year, $20 million deal in March, has not practiced after having ankle surgery in January. Green, who spent his first four years in the NFL with the Chargers, was brought in to replace one of Big Ben's favorite targets Heath Miller, who announced his retirement in February.

Roethlisberger understands that the tight ends who are healthy — Jesse James, Xavier Grimble, Michael Cooper and Paul Lang — need to avoid putting any undue pressure on themselves and just play their game.

"The hard part about it is, the guy you had here before wasn't exactly an average guy," Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, of Miller, who finished with 592 receptions. "That has been my message to those guys, 'Don't try to be Heath.'

"I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet because I see flashes from all of them at times with really great stuff, and then you see some stuff that is just, man, come on, there's got to be more."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-tight-end-situation-081016?cmpid=feed:-sports-CQ-RSS-Feed

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Vis

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation   Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:40 am

Wallace108 wrote:
By Nunzio Ingrassia

Preseason games haven't begun yet, but Ben Roethlisberger is already fretting about the current state of the Pittsburgh Steelers' tight end situation.

The Steelers' high-priced tight end Ladarius Green, who signed a four-year, $20 million deal in March, has not practiced after having ankle surgery in January. Green, who spent his first four years in the NFL with the Chargers, was brought in to replace one of Big Ben's favorite targets Heath Miller, who announced his retirement in February.

Roethlisberger understands that the tight ends who are healthy — Jesse James, Xavier Grimble, Michael Cooper and Paul Lang — need to avoid putting any undue pressure on themselves and just play their game.

"The hard part about it is, the guy you had here before wasn't exactly an average guy," Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, of Miller, who finished with 592 receptions. "That has been my message to those guys, 'Don't try to be Heath.'

"I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet because I see flashes from all of them at times with really great stuff, and then you see some stuff that is just, man, come on, there's got to be more."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-tight-end-situation-081016?cmpid=feed:-sports-CQ-RSS-Feed

When cuts start around the league, we will be watching the wire for TEs

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation   Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:19 am

If the Oline stays healthy and we don't need a TE acting as an extra lineman I'm hoping James steps up until Green is healthy or he flat out takes the job from him.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation   Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:51 am

Yeah TE has me worried, Heath was as polished all around as a TE can get, and he was the quintessential professional. James has shown some flashes but it remains to be seen if he can be the man at the TE position. As far as Green, I don't like that he hasn't been able to practice and get out and actually play yet, it takes time to develop some chemistry. I think Ben is going to work on that with him as soon as he's cleared to practice/play but only time will tell. Green never really managed to kick old man Gates out of his job in San Diego, but he has the potential to be great if he really works at it. He's got athletic ability, and could be a prolific pass catching TE for us. I just hope that James turns out to be a well rounded blocker that can also be a threat when he needs to be in the passing game... If James can do that, that'll allow Green to do what he does best.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation   Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:50 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Yeah TE has me worried, Heath was as polished all around as a TE can get, and he was the quintessential professional. James has shown some flashes but it remains to be seen if he can be the man at the TE position. As far as Green, I don't like that he hasn't been able to practice and get out and actually play yet, it takes time to develop some chemistry. I think Ben is going to work on that with him as soon as he's cleared to practice/play but only time will tell. Green never really managed to kick old man Gates out of his job in San Diego, but he has the potential to be great if he really works at it. He's got athletic ability, and could be a prolific pass catching TE for us. I just hope that James turns out to be a well rounded blocker that can also be a threat when he needs to be in the passing game... If James can do that, that'll allow Green to do what he does best.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation   Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation   Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:50 am

Azowolf wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000683334/article/ladarius-green-sidelined-by-headaches-not-ankle-injur

From that article:

"He's progressing, but we really thought it would be touch-and-go up to this point," Tomlin said. "The (ankle) surgery was not a routine cleanup, so we knew it would be a significant amount of time."

Here's a line from an article in the Trib:

“It came out as a concussion, but I just had sinus problems, so it wasn't a concussion,” Green said then. “It was the same thing: the sinuses. They didn't know about it. It's fine now. It wasn't anything that held me back.”

Read the rest of the article here.

I'm not going to dismiss the idea that Green has had headaches issues due to sinus problems because a woman who works from me has been battling this same issue and her doctors are having trouble determining the exact cause and, therefore, the treatment for her. I know there are reports that site a "source" close to the Steelers that say he's looking at retirement, but anyone in the direct circle of knowledge isn't going to talk. I'm not going to jump on this conspiracy theory quite yet. Sometimes the truth is what they say it is.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation   Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation   

Back to top Go down

Roethlisberger is concerned about Steelers' tight end situation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: