HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:26 pm

By Dale Lolley

LATROBE – Watching film following a preseason game can often be a trying process for a young quarterback in the NFL.

Mistakes are pointed out along with open receivers missed. The film doesn’t lie and the coaching staff can be painfully honest.

But second-year quarterback Dustin Vaughan was upbeat after watching his performance Friday night in the Steelers’ preseason-opening loss to the Detroit Lions. He knows that there is room to grow.

He also feels that after being on Dallas’ roster in 2014 and spending a month on Buffalo’s practice squad last season, he’s playing with house money right now with his career.

“I think the experiences just really helped me in terms of my confidence level, which is so weird,” said Vaughan. “Something about last year has allowed me to play with a little bit more freedom. There’s nothing to lose. I’m going out here and trying to get a job. I’m going to put everything I have out there and let the chips fall where they may. That’s the only thing I can control. Everything else are decisions that are outside of my control.”

Vaughan completed 6 of 11 passes for 50 yards in Pittsburgh’s 30-17 loss after entering the game in the third quarter when veteran Bruce Gradkowski suffered a hamstring injury on a scramble. He had a couple of passes dropped, which could have helped his numbers.

More than anything, the Steelers wanted to see him take command of the huddle, despite the chaos of players being shuffled in and out of the game. They felt he did a good job of that.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160814/qb_vaughan_continues_growth_with_steelers

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:56 pm

The #3 QB spot is his to lose.

Guy has a strong arm and seems pretty tough. But needs work on his accuracy.
Back to top Go down
dave n'at
Banned

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:51 am

Why are we so bad at scouting quarterbacks?

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:46 pm

the cowboys were really high on this guy his rookie season. they were trying to compare him to romo because he came from D2 west texas. after watching a game high light video , of course it was only one game , but what i noticed was the guy has no touch on the ball.
he tries to throw everything at max velocity on a rope. kinda reminded me of byron leftwich without the ugly wind up.
he throws a nice tight spiral bullet every pass , but can't drop one in over the receivers shoulder on a deep post route.
that explains why on scouting reports he gets good marks on short and medium passing but fails at deep passes.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:44 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
the cowboys were really high on this guy his rookie season.  they were trying to compare him to romo because he came from D2 west texas.  after watching a game high light video , of course it was only one game , but what i noticed was the guy has no touch on the ball.
he tries to throw everything at max velocity on a rope.  kinda reminded me of byron leftwich without the ugly wind up.
he throws a nice tight spiral bullet every pass , but can't drop one in over the receivers shoulder on a deep post route.
that explains why on scouting reports he gets good marks on short and medium passing but fails at deep passes.

I went back and watched him and I have to say you're spot on. He does remind you of Leftwich. The one I saw was on a rope still heading upward when it passed the receiver.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:43 am

I love the annual fascination with the 3rd string QB.

Its like figuring out who was the 3rd most favorite member of the Jackson-5. There's Michael, & Jermaine, but after that is it Tito, Randy or Marlon??
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:44 pm

@dave n'at wrote:

Because we are too busy getting receivers in the 3rd and 6th rounds that turn into First Team all NFL players.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:36 pm

@OX1947 wrote:
@dave n'at wrote:

Because we are too busy getting receivers in the 3rd and 6th rounds that turn into First Team all NFL players.

Yeah, that is why all the other NFL teams have better 3rd string QB's than the Steelers.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:38 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@OX1947 wrote:
@dave n'at wrote:

Yeah, that is why all the other NFL teams have better 3rd string QB's than the Steelers.  

^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!

http://steelcityunderground.com
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:29 pm

if we had to play an entire 16 game season with Landry Jones and Dustin Vaughan as our QBs, what do you suppose our record would be?
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:59 pm

Not - Good

Back to top Go down
fer69

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:20 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
if we had to play an entire 16 game season with Landry Jones and Dustin Vaughan as our QBs, what do you suppose our record would be?
0-1000

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:30 am

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

I'd be more concerned about what my blood pressure would be.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
dave n'at
Banned

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:15 am

@OX1947 wrote:
@dave n'at wrote:

That's all well and good but if Ben goes down (which he has at some point or another for 10 out of his 12 years), theres literally no one who can throw the ball to them at this point. They could've had Nick Foles this offseason for less than 2mil but decided to ride with Landry Jones confused confused confused . Hoping Ben won't get hurt has WAY more often than not been wishful thinking and it's downright baffling to have nobody in place who could at least win us half the games Ben could potentially be out for.

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:36 am

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Imagine what you could do with the first pick of the draft. affraid
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:45 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Its like figuring out who was the 3rd most favorite member of the Jackson-5.  There's Michael, & Jermaine, but after that is it Tito, Randy or Marlon??

I wouldn't put Jones in the Jermaine category yet! :p
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:05 pm

@DesertSteel wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Its like figuring out who was the 3rd most favorite member of the Jackson-5.  There's Michael, & Jermaine, but after that is it Tito, Randy or Marlon??

I wouldn't put Jones in the Jermaine category yet! :p

I would. The stat line reads 4 INT, but for those that looked closer they saw WR's not making plays on the football, TE's not blocking and WR's running lazy patterns.

Its the standard Preseason Steeler fan over-reaction.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:26 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

0-17, we'd lose to the bye week
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:18 pm

maybe the Steelers could get Paul Crewe out of prison.

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Due to injury to Dustin Vaughan, Pittsburgh Steelers sign QB Bryn Renner

By Jeff.Hartman on Aug 20, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a team in need of a backup quarterback, and after an unexpected injury they signed another quarterback, and his name isn't Mike Vick.

The Pittsburgh Steelers experienced an unexpected injury following their 17-0 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. Third string quarterback Dustin Vaughan fractured his thumb, and forced the Steelers to make some roster moves on their 90-man preseason roster and sign journeyman quarterback Bryn Renner.

The injury Vaughan suffered was reportedly a broken thumb, and it occurred during the fourth quarter of the Week 2 preseason game.

The Steelers have some serious issues, and question marks, on their quarterback depth chart. After Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones has solidified himself as the No. 2 signal caller, but that is hardly a cause for fans to breathe easy if Roethlisberger goes down. Jones had 4 interceptions in the first half against the Eagles, and Vaughan was hardly better in his time with the team. In two preseason games he was sacked a total of 7 times, in about 4 quarters of play.

The Steelers won't likely go into the regular season with Roethlisberer, Jones and Renner as their depth chart. Look for the team to possibly sign a quarterback who is released from another team when teams cut their rosters from 90 to 75 and then down to the final 53.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/8/20/12567274/due-to-injury-to-dustin-vaughan-pittsburgh-steelers-sign-qb-bryn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers    

Back to top Go down

QB Vaughan continues growth with Steelers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: