HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:08 am

jak341 wrote:
He had a good game yesterday. I'll give credit where it's due. Now, string a few games together and I'll change my opinion.

Exactly my line of thought, string a few games together, show a little consistency, and play well against a good defense. The Saints defense was one of, and if not the worst defense in the league last season and they got tore up no matter who was on the field. Still a good game, and Jones deserves credit, but for him to stick around as the backup QB in the future he's going to have to be more consistent, otherwise this season should be his last. Just my honest opinion.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:37 pm

Pro Football Focus Grades:

Pittsburgh Steelers 27, New Orleans Saints 14

Here are the top-graded players and biggest takeaways from the Steelers’ 27-14 victory over the Saints:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Quarterback grades: Ben Roethlisberger 73.3; Landry Jones, 83.6

Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones pick apart Saints’ coverage

Ben Roethlisberger looked like he was in midseason form in his preseason debut. He had a perfectly placed pass to wide receiver Antonio Brown that went for a touchdown, and extended another play with his legs to find tight end Jesse James in the end zone. Roethlisberger was in command of the up-tempo offense, but outside of those two throws only one other completion was targeted past the first-down marker. Landry Jones had a perfect 100 percent adjusted completion percentage, as he completed 19 of 22 pass attempts, with the three incompletions being a drop, a batted pass, and a throw-away. It was Jones’ highest passing grade of his career—preseason or regular season.

Top offensive grades:
QB Landry Jones, 83.6
G Ramon Foster, 80.5
G David DeCastro, 79.2
T Marcus Gilbert, 79.2
WR Antonio Brown, 78.8

Antonio Brown picks up where he left off in 2015

Last year’s top-graded wide receiver Antonio Brown played just 19 snaps in his preseason debut, but made the most of his limited time. He caught all four targets to gain 87 yards and a touchdown, including a 57-yard touchdown against Saints rookie cornerback DeVante Harris.

Top defensive grades:
DT Javon Hargrave, 84.7
CB William Gay, 82.4
LB Vince Williams, 81.4
DE Stephon Tuitt, 80.5
LB Tyler Matakevich, 76.2

Rookie DT Javon Hargrave impresses

Third-round draft pick DT Javon Hargrave was one of the most productive players of the game. On two separate occasions he made Saints rookie center Jack Allen look foolish by beating him almost immediately off the snap. Hargrave finished the game with a sack, two pressures and a batted pass, and was the highest-graded pass-rusher for either team.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-pit-no-grades-roethlisberger-brown-shine/

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:56 pm

Landry will be pushed now by Zach Mettenberger - looks like the end of the road for Gradkowski

Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:00 pm

Good pick up.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:24 pm

I like this pickup.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:31 pm

Jones is going to have to change his name to Jonesberger!

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:48 pm

jak341 wrote:
I like this pickup.

me too.

in 2014, Mettenberger's rookie year as a Titan he started a game against the Steelers and narrowly lost 27-24.

his stats that game were: 15-24 for 263 yards with 2 TDs, 1 int and a passer rating of 110.2.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:50 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Landry will be pushed now by Zach Mettenberger - looks like the end of the road for Gradkowski

SUPERBOWL
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:52 am

WVABE wrote:
Good pick up.

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Love the Mettenberger pick up. Cheap. Potential. Depth. Really no downside.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:07 am

Pfff, he has never won a single game... we're screwed with our 3rd string QB
Back to top Go down
Chaotic Zen
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:32 am

As someone who has watched the Titans as my 2nd favorite team for many years, I can wholeheartedly tell you that Mett is 100% pure hot garbage.

The only way he challenges Jones (and I love the Jonesberger idea, btw) is if Landry's arm literally falls off. He may have "potential", but he will never realize it. I have more confidence in an 100 year old Bradshaw that Mett.

There are people on Gotitans.com that think he will be all-pro one day and were pissed that Mariota was drafted. Totally delisional
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Chaotic Zen wrote:
As someone who has watched the Titans as my 2nd favorite team for many years, I can wholeheartedly tell you that Mett is 100% pure hot garbage.

The only way he challenges Jones (and I love the Jonesberger idea, btw) is if Landry's arm literally falls off.  He may have "potential", but he will never realize it.  I have more confidence in an 100 year old Bradshaw that Mett.

There are people on Gotitans.com that think he will be all-pro one day and were pissed that Mariota was drafted.  Totally delisional

I read those same feelings from BOTH the Titans fans and Chargers fans. There were some camps that think he is on the verge of developing into something big and others that say he is hot garbage.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:26 pm

jak341 wrote:
Chaotic Zen wrote:

The only way he challenges Jones (and I love the Jonesberger idea, btw) is if Landry's arm literally falls off.  He may have "potential", but he will never realize it.  I have more confidence in an 100 year old Bradshaw that Mett.

There are people on Gotitans.com that think he will be all-pro one day and were pissed that Mariota was drafted.  Totally delisional

I read those same feelings from BOTH the Titans fans and Chargers fans. There were some camps that think he is on the verge of developing into something big and others that say he is hot garbage.

If he couldn't beat charlie whitehurst then he's terrible. but for a 3rd string qb he's ok. i mean if it gets to the point where he has to play in the regular season we're screwed anyway
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Jones Plans On Being Cautiously Aggressive Sunday Against Patriots*

BY DAVE BRYAN OCTOBER 19, 2016

On Tuesday, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin talked about how confident of a player quarterback Landry Jones is ahead of his third career start this coming Sunday against the New England Patriots*. Wednesday morning, Jones exhibited that confidence when he addressed the entire team during a meeting.

“As he told us this morning, don’t panic,” said Steelers linebacker Arthur Moats, according to Teresa Varley of steelers.com.

Jones also indicated Wednesday morning that he’s not planning on playing too cautious Sunday against the Patriots*.

“I think if you’re a backup in these types of situations, you can almost try to be too perfect and too careful,” said Jones. “One-time Coach (Mike) Tomlin said something along the lines of, ‘Gun fighters are going to get shot.’ For me, I have to go out there and cut it loose and play like that rather than trying to be too careful. Try to just go out there and take every check down that I can. Obviously, you have to play smart. But, you have to take what the defense gives you and try to be cautiously aggressive.”

Jones obviously faces a very daunting task on Sunday as the Patriots* defense has played well over the course of the last four weeks and that has led to them allowing an average of just 11.5 points.

While Jones himself played well in relief of an injured Mike Vick in last year’s win over the Arizona Cardinals, he’s yet to put together a solid full-game performance and he’ll definitely need on Sunday at Heinz Field if the Steelers hope to upset the heavily favored Patriots* at home.

“They’re a great, disciplined group,” said Jones. “That’s kind of how (Bill) Belichick coaches them. He’s going to have guys who are going to go out there and do what they’re asked to do. We have a big challenge in front of us.”

The Steelers would be wise to lean heavily on their running game Sunday in effort to not only take pressure off of Jones, but also to keep Patriots* quarterback Tom Brady off the field as much as possible. That means getting the football to running back Le’Veon Bell early and often. So far this season, Bell has rushed for 263 yards on 48 carries in addition to 20 receptions for another 177 yards.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/jones-plans-cautiously-aggressive-sunday-Patriots*/

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:45 am

Cautiously aggressive. Is that like a cat wearing a safety helmet and knee pads before pouncing on a bird?

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:56 am

SteelersYak wrote:
Cautiously aggressive.  Is that like a cat wearing a safety helmet and knee pads before pouncing on a bird?

That's a Tomlinism if I ever heard one.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:59 am

jak341 wrote:
SteelersYak wrote:
Cautiously aggressive.  Is that like a cat wearing a safety helmet and knee pads before pouncing on a bird?

That's a Tomlinism if I ever heard one.

At least he's been paying attention while he's been carrying that clipboard.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Landry Jones tells Steelers not to panic

By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer
Published: Oct. 20, 2016

New Steelers starting quarterback Landry Jones took the bull by the horns on Wednesday and delivered a rousing speech to the new troops under his command.

The two-word opus? "Don't Panic."

"It eased the guys a little bit and put a laugh in a couple guys' faces," Maurkice Pouncey told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I think we needed that."

"Everybody understands. We can't panic," running back Le'Veon Bell said. "We understand when Ben goes down, he's the backup quarterback and you don't want to put too much on him. Obviously, we can't scale it back too much because we know he understands the whole offense. As a team, we have to help him. We gotta get him comfortable and confident, and he should be good."

If nothing else, the Steelers have a quarterback with a good sense of humor on their hands. Ben Roethlisberger could be gone anywhere from two weeks to a month and a half following a minor knee scope, which means that Jones will be saddled with keeping the 4-2 Steelers' playoff hopes alive through a meaty part of their schedule.

Beating the Patriots* in New England this weekend would require a yeoman's effort from Jones, who, over two career starts is 1-1 with a 58 percent completion rate, three touchdowns and four interceptions.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000724332/article/landry-jones-tells-steelers-not-to-panic

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer

New Steelers starting quarterback Landry Jones took the bull by the horns on Wednesday and delivered a rousing speech to the new troops under his command.

"It eased the guys a little bit and put a laugh in a couple guys' faces," Maurkice Pouncey told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I think we needed that."

"Everybody understands. We can't panic," running back Le'Veon Bell said. "We understand when Ben goes down, he's the backup quarterback and you don't want to put too much on him. Obviously, we can't scale it back too much because we know he understands the whole offense. As a team, we have to help him. We gotta get him comfortable and confident, and he should be good."

If nothing else, the Steelers have a quarterback with a good sense of humor on their hands. Ben Roethlisberger could be gone anywhere from two weeks to a month and a half following a minor knee scope, which means that Jones will be saddled with keeping the 4-2 Steelers' playoff hopes alive through a meaty part of their schedule.

Beating the Patriots** in New England this weekend would require a yeoman's effort from Jones, who, over two career starts is 1-1 with a 58 percent completion rate, three touchdowns and four interceptions.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000724332/article/landry-jones-tells-steelers-not-to-panic

Ummm confused last time I looked at the schedule, we play in Pittsburgh this weekend.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:23 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer

Beating the Patriots*** in New England this weekend would require a yeoman's effort from Jones, who, over two career starts is 1-1 with a 58 percent completion rate, three touchdowns and four interceptions.

to read rest of article:

Ummm confused last time I looked at the schedule, we play in Pittsburgh this weekend.

Connor Orr is some kid from Jersey that probably could not find Pittsburgh with a map. He's probably blogging from his moms basement like the rest of the great online journalists of his time. Nice catch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   

Back to top Go down

Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: