HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy   Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers player rep Ramon Foster used the news of Le'Veon Bell's three-game NFL suspension over missed drug tests as a chance to foreshadow the players' bigger fight with the NFL roughly four years from now.

"There are bigger issues than pot," Foster said.

In fact, Foster is urging players to save money now in preparation for a lockout with the NFL over a collective bargaining agreement that will expire after the 2020 season.

He said he is disenchanted by several issues with the drug policy, including the image hits NFL players face that players from other sports leagues don't and an appeal process that is often handled by a sole arbitrator, resulting in varied rulings. Bell's appeal reduced his suspension from four to three games last week.

But insurance, post-career care and revenue are more pressing, which means the players must be willing to sit out games in 2021, Foster said.

"Hit them in the pocket. That way, money always talks," Foster said. "For us to do that, we have to save on our end. We can't be just blowing money and not realize what's coming, especially with guys coming into the league now."

In 2011, the Steelers were the only team to vote against the proposed CBA that eventually passed before the season.

Foster said players around the league must be more prepared after many faced too much financial debt to potentially miss games nearly six years ago.

"It's coming. They've hired certain people on their legal team, the NFL has, and we have to be the type of players and union that's not borrowing money from banks and stuff like that to survive a lockout, a strike," Foster said. "That can't happen this time around. We have to be smarter this time around because there are a lot of things we're going to be fighting for and a lot of things they are going to want and we're going to want, too."

Drug testing has affected the Steelers' on-field product. Wide receiver Martavis Bryant is suspended for the season for multiple failed or missed tests, and Bell had to miss up to three tests to earn a three-game ban (reduced from four games upon appeal).

Players felt in the dark about Bell's looming suspension over the past month. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said "we don't always know what's going on" with the process, and the NFL often does things that "none of us have answers for."

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17366384/pittsburgh-steelers-player-rep-nfl-players-save-2021-lockout
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy   Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:30 pm

Not a chance. The paid help will not sacrifice their cars and their night clubs. I hope I am wrong but I rarely am in the light of reality. They had the perfect opportunity 5 years ago, it was all laid out perfectly. And they wilted at the end.

If they manage to tell the owners and that piece of shit to stick it even for one week of the regular season, I will have respect to the gills for the players. But the reality is it is too much money. The players careers in the NFL is short. They won't risk their pay out of principal.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy   Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:42 am

This next CBA is going to go one of two ways.

THE HAPPY PATH:
The players are going to force the owners' hand early and often, as well as Der Kommish, and the players will win back some of what they lost on the last work stoppage before the 2020 season begins.

THE UGLY AND MOST LIKELY TO HAPPEN PATH:
The owners and Der Kommish hold tightly to everything they got on the last CBA, the players flip them the "You're #1" and the fans get screwed. The players finally understand what the Steelers pointed out before the last CBA was signed and they'll be hell bent on getting some of the leverage back from the NFL and the owners. Get ready people, it's going to be a long draw and in the end, I think you'll see the players get back some of their power and possibly a new commissioner.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy   Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:35 am

I think the Commish will continue his crappy procedures until the last minute. Then, right before the next CBA, he'll insert a dog and pony show to review appeals to ensure "fairness of the process". The owners aren't disgusted with him, otherwise he'd already be gone. The players, owners and commish have made more money under this crappy regime than they did before ... so no one will picket. No
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy   Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:42 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
I think the Commish will continue his crappy procedures until the last minute. Then, right before the next CBA, he'll insert a dog and pony show to review appeals to ensure "fairness of the process". The owners aren't disgusted with him, otherwise he'd already be gone. The players, owners and commish have made more money under this crappy regime than they did before ... so no one will picket. No

I don't even think that will happen. Commish isn't giving up the powers granted. I imagine the owners and the Commissioner will want MORE power. As you said, the league is printing money. The values of the franchises are more then soccer clubs in Europe and Spain [Real Madrid excepted].

The NFLPA is a shell of what it once was, with the proof being the concessions made in the last CBA. They aren't going to win in a pissing contest with the NFL these days.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy   Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:29 am

Like Foster says, save up some $$. Be ready to stay out a season and force the NFL to play with replacement players unless they give up the unilateral authority of the commissioners office and bring some kind of guaranteed contracts to the table.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy   Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:54 am

I won't blame them if they do honestly. Marijuana is legal in two states and the District of Columbia already. I expect more states and localities to legalize it by 2021. Honestly, I think marijuana usage by football players is a much smaller problem than domestic abuse. I get that Leveon Bell is a quote on quote repeat offender but I think it's a joke that he's getting suspended longer than the Giants kicker with domestic abuse problems. Hopefully Goodell is gone fairly soon. I have no idea who would replace him as commish but he's been a very bad one.
Back to top Go down
schillah

PostSubject: Re: Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy   Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Random PED test coming your way Foster!

PostSubject: Re: Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: