HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:11 am

Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers

Mark Kaboly  | Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2016

The Steelers offensive line has a motto they're sticking too — at least for the next couple of weeks.

“Pay the man,” center Maurkice Pouncey said.

“Please, pay the man,” left guard Ramon Foster pleaded.

That man is David DeCastro, and time is quickly running out on getting paid by the Steelers.

The Steelers have fewer than three weeks to come to terms with their All-Pro right guard before their self-imposed contract negotiating deadline kicks in and DeCastro is able to explore free agency at the end of the year.

If that's the case, it would certainly result in DeCastro signing elsewhere, and his teammates don't want that.

“He deserves (to get paid), and hopefully they can get it done so he can stay around for a long time,” Pouncey said. “One thing I know for sure is that we have to sign him before that first game.”

Right now, contract talks aren't progressing quickly, or at least not fast enough for DeCastro's liking.

“Just a little back-and-forth,” DeCastro said. “Nothing really.”

That can change in a hurry, though. The Steelers signed Troy Polamalu and Cortez Allen the night before the opener.

The Steelers had every intention on signing DeCastro long term when they picked up the fifth-year option on his rookie contract last year that guarantees him $8.07 million this year.

DeCastro has become one of the best guards in the league since being drafted in the first round in 2012. It culminated last year when he became just the third guard in team history and second since 1938 to be named to the first-team All-Pro team.

That, coupled with the frugal Steelers on the books for a cap hit of more than $8 million, gives DeCastro the upper hand in getting a player-friendly deal.

“This is one of the few times that the player has the leverage, and I told him that this morning,” Foster said. “I don't think they want to play the $8 million this year. It is either pay him, or if you don't pay him, then he hits the market and you don't want that.”

What is complicating what was expected to be a pretty straightforward deal is the Raiders signed Kelechi Osemele — a second-round pick of the Ravens the same year DeCastro was drafted — to a five-year, $58.5 million deal in March that included a $25.4 million bonus.

Osemele averages $11.7 million a season and has yet to make a Pro Bowl. No other guard averages more than $8 million a year. Osemele's $25.4 million in guaranteed money is nearly $10 million more than any other guard.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11020346-74/decastro-million-steelers

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:28 am

I concur, they need to pay this man. Need to lock him up.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:44 am

It'll get done.

Already seen they made a contract restructure.
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:13 am

Hard to deal out major dollars quickly when you know it's going to cost us one of brown,bell,wheaton.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:09 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
It'll get done.

Steelers restructure Marcus Gilbert’s contract to free salary cap space

By Jeff.Hartman on Aug 25, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers were bound to restructure some contracts to help free up some salary cap space, and they started with tackle Marcus Gilbert’s contract.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have finally restructured a contract to help free some salary cap space heading into the 2016 season. While most thought Ben Roethlisberger would be first on the list, the team restructured offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert’s deal before anyone else’s.

This is the second time the Steelers have restructured Gilbert’s contract, the last time was in February of 2015. Nonetheless, it will most likely help give the team some financial leverage to be able to make some moves in the last days of the preseason.

What moves could still be made, especially after the 3-year extension given to Vince Williams? The first on most fans’ list would be getting David DeCastro locked up with a long-term deal, as he is entering the 5th year option of his rookie contract.

The other would be to give them some flexibility in possibly bringing in a player who was recently released from another team during the annual rust cuts. A player like Ross Cockrell could be on the team’s radar as the secondary is anything but a sure thing heading into the 2016 season.

The Steelers cleared $2 million dollars in the Gilbert restructure, and that could come in handy with just about two weeks remaining until the team's season opener in Washington.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/8/25/12639494/steelers-restructure-marcus-gilbert-s-contract-to-free-salary-cap-space

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:28 pm

Hard cap kills urgency.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:53 pm

I recall Troy signed his last big contract extension (for which the Steelers in hindsight overpaid) teh weekend before the 2011 season opener

Plenty of time left, even if the Raiders have screwed up the market rate by overpaying for Osemele

DeCastro gets paid - Timmons does not
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:47 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
It'll get done.

Mike Mitchell's contract is now the 2nd one that has been restructured:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/steelers-restructure-contract-s-mike-mitchell/

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:55 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
It'll get done.

Mike Mitchell's contract is now the 2nd one that has been restructured:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/steelers-restructure-contract-s-mike-mitchell/

DD contract will probably get done by next week.

Also, Brown is probably going to get some of his 2017 money.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 pm

I was just about to mention Mitchell's restructure. This is all with the intention of paying Decastro. They will not let him go, he is a rare talent.

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:35 pm

Steelers are reportedly close to finalizing a long-term deal with David DeCastro:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/dulac-steelers-close-long-term-decastro-deal/

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:58 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Steelers are reportedly close to finalizing a long-term deal with David DeCastro:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/dulac-steelers-close-long-term-decastro-deal/

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Mark Kaboly ✔@MarkKaboly_Trib

DeCastro tells me extension is very close.

9:22 AM - 7 Sep 2016

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:47 pm

They have an extra day.

PostSubject: Re: Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"   

Back to top Go down

Clock ticking on DeCastro deal for Steelers - "Pay the man"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: