HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:59 pm

That opening drive was a thing of beauty. Ben is a field general and he just runs this offense to perfection. Everyone was ticking, and I love what Jesse James is doing thus far. Minimal mistakes and fun to watch, I hope this is replicated in real season mode.

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:23 pm

now working 2nd shift didn't see the game more info please.

I knew Ben would make a big difference.

remember Bradshaw's last preseason a game I watched live the other QBs could move the offense between the 20s but when Bradshaw came into the game with half starters and the other half not he made an 80 yard drive look easy. the defense he was playing against was the same but watching him take the talent around him and calling the plays to get the most out of that talent was a thing of beauty.

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Ben and company out pretty early, but two extremely sharp and productive drives. Defense still a little soft in secondary and needs some work. I'm very concerned about the Heyward injury. In a cast on sidelines and wasn't getting around very well on that ankle.

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:39 pm

any word on cam heyward??..when I left my buddys house he was limping towards sideline..game wasn't on when I got home (he has dish, I have cable)..hope it wasn't serious

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:40 pm

oh no..just saw your post drizztbob..what were announcers saying??..any info??

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:43 am

Cam said we will have a MRI today, but expects to be back by week 1.

Foster had his arm in a sling, but said it isn't serious.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:10 am

I hope Cam is alright, he's the leader on that D-Line. I'm not in panic mode though if he has to miss a game or two, we still have a fair amount of talent on the D-Line in Tuitt, and Hargrave who just keeps looking better. McCullers might not be too shabby either in a rotation.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:02 am

According to Score Sports, I got a pop up on my phone on the way home from the game, Cam has a high ankle sprain, but will have an MRI.

He walked off of the field with a limp and went to the trainer's table. They checked him out and iced it up. Shortly after that, they brought the cart out to take him to the locker room. I missed Foster's injury somehow.

There were tons of Steelers fans at the game. Steelers Nation represented well.

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:41 am

Hope Cam will be okay. First team offense looked great and Landry looked a lot better this week. Landry's not going to be Ben's replacement but i still think he can be a competent backup. We were lucky to have Batch all those years. I feel good about Doran Grant. He seems to have a real nose for the ball. He nearly had another turnover yesterday. Props to Tyler Mackevitch who had a pick. I think Tyler is the new Colbert seventh round draft diamond in the rough. Glad to see Jones had a good game too.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:12 am

The Saints PA speaker butchered our players' names all night long. Then on one of Grimble's receptions, he announced that the pass was caught by Jarvis Jones. I was like, "uhhh wtf is Jarvis doing out there, then I saw it was 85 and not 95". lol

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:09 pm

Just watched it on NFLNetwork and here are a few observations:

-Bell looks in top form. Caught the ball well, ran well, had burst and 3 minutes into the game he DE-CLEATED Cameron Jordan in a pass protection chip. WOOOOOO Hit!

-Ben to AB never missed a beat from last season. Wheaton will be the reliable #2 and Rogers will get 40 catches in the slot.

-Villenueva still is technically inconsistent. He pass protects with arms collapsed like he is doing a wide arm pushup. Sits in his stance, but gets too tall when he moves. Got bull rushed several times and got beat on the edge by Ellerbee. Better hope Hawkins is the future and he straightens out his game this year.

-Hargrave will start opening day at NT. Not only upfield quickness, but motor never stops and plays sideline to sideline even on bubble screen.

-Pay DeCastro. Considering that Foster, Pouncey, Gilbert are all signed, this unit is great if they just improve the LT spot next season.

-Pass D looked weak up the middle. A few passes to the TE up the seam and not the kind of reaction needed from the safety position. Davis is progressing as slot CB, but he would be better at improving the safety spot IMO.

-Chickillo is quick off the edge, but still not shortening the arc enough to get around Strief at RT. Looks good, but still needs work and strength to get under the pads on the pass rush. converts speed to power well in bull rush.

-Jarvis Jones is who we thought he is. Heavy hands and holds at the point of attack, but in the pass rush he is noticeably slower than the other 4 OLB's

-Doran Grant tackled the reception well and has a nose for the football. I think they view him as another Robert Golden that can play CB in dime while they work at him at safety.

-BJ Finney showed good feet getting out on a screen pass. I still think Hubbard makes the team, so if Finney wants to make the 53 he might have to beat out Wallace and I don't think that happens.

-Matakevich gets mop up duty in the 4th quarter. Still looks slow in space, but reads plays well and gets to the ball, even if its a bit late. I know they like him, but kid needs to get to Tom Shaw and see if they can improve his quickness.

-Landry Jones first 2 passes were solid connections. He had some great reads and got the ball out quick on quick slants. His TD to Coates was perfect footwork and throw in the corner. More impressive was a long pass to Coates late in the game where he stood in the pocket, knowing he was going to get smoked by the pass rusher and threw a strike.

-Grimble, showed some good blocking and ability to catch the football in the seams. I'd like to see him make it, but not sure he can beat out Johnson. Think Grimble is on the way up, while Johnson isn't getting any better at this stage of his career.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:13 pm

^^Nice analysis Gonzo.
---------------

Steelers' offense sizzles against Saints in Ben Roethlisberger's debut

NEW ORLEANS -- So that's what the Pittsburgh Steelers' offense looks like.

After weeks of injuries, a player suspension and spotty preseason football from the reserves, the Steelers walked their stars onto the Mercedes-Benz Superdome field and dissected the New Orleans Saints' defense as if it was routine, like lunch or a nap, in a 27-14 win on Friday night.

These were not routine numbers, preseason or not: 12-of-17, 148 yards, two touchdowns on two drives for Ben Roethlisberger in his first action of the preseason.

Roethlisberger connected with six different playmakers on his first eight completions, including a 5-yard score to Jesse James off a scramble to cap a smooth 15-play, 74-yard drive.

Nothing like the Saints' defense to boost morale -- Landry Jones tore it up, too, completing 12 of his first 15 passes for 116 yards and a score -- but the performance was impressive, and much needed.

The Steelers are at their best when in the no-huddle offense like on that first drive, Roethlisberger said. In that set, Roethlisberger calls plays from the line of scrimmage along with offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

"I think our base offense is going to be uptempo," Roethlisberger said.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/19890/steelers-offense-sizzles-against-saints-in-ben-roethlisbergers-debut

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:23 am

This was a good game. I agree with everything said. I didn't notice Pouncey's name mentioned. I thought he played real good,especially the one run where he was 5 yards out in front pulling for Bell. It reminded me of Dermonti back in the day.

If Jones can play close to the way he did in this game I'm comfortable with him as a backup. He looked like he went through his reads and made sound choices.

I noticed Shazier missed a couple of tackles by over pursuing. I hope he works on that.
Hargrave is a beast and should be the starter day one. The guy just plays at full speed.

Vince Williams showed why he got an extension. He'll probably get fined for the UR call. It looked to me like he led with his shoulder but went in too high so it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:50 pm

solardave wrote:

If Jones can play close to the way he did in this game I'm comfortable with him as a backup.

That is the way people need to look at Landry Jones. He is a 4th round pick they took a gamble on him that he might develop into a solid #2 QB, because Ben still has another 4 or 5 seasons left. He wasn't selected as the replacement for Ben, but if he turned out to be something more, then great. As it stands, the kid is the #2 QB and is still improving.

Its not like Shamarko Thomas, who the Steelers traded a pick for to move up in the 4th round and get him, because they needed a starting SS. Or its not like Jarvis Jones who was the #17 overall pick and the Steelers needed a pass rusher. This is why I don't understand all the fan angst with Landry Jones, who was essentially drafted to be what Ryan Nassib is for the Giants.

The Steelers will look for Ben's replacement in 2018 draft, or if somebody is there in the 2017 draft, I can see them pulling the trigger on a QB. Landry Jones is basically Cliff Stoudt.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:01 am

[quote="El-Gonzo Jackson"]
solardave wrote:

If Jones can play close to the way he did in this game I'm comfortable with him as a backup.

That is the way people need to look at Landry Jones.  He is a 4th round pick they took a gamble on him that he might develop into a solid #2 QB, because Ben still has another 4 or 5 seasons left.  He wasn't selected as the replacement for Ben, but if he turned out to be something more, then great.  As it stands, the kid is the #2 QB and is still improving.

Its not like Shamarko Thomas, who the Steelers traded a pick for to move up in the 4th round and get him, because they needed a starting SS.  Or its not like Jarvis Jones who was the #17 overall pick and the Steelers needed a pass rusher.  This is why I don't understand all the fan angst with Landry Jones, who was essentially drafted to be what Ryan Nassib is for the Giants.

The Steelers will look for Ben's replacement in 2018 draft, or if somebody is there in the 2017 draft, I can see them pulling the trigger on a QB.  Landry Jones is basically Cliff Stoudt.[/quote]

Landry Jones is basically Cliff Stoudt. I absolutely agree. I don't think I ever talked about him as Ben's replacement. What I did say is he makes me nervous when he is in. He looked good this last game and IF Ben misses games this year (God forbid) and Jones can play like he did against N.O. I'm good with that.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:15 am

Watch this block Bell delivers in the game.

https://twitter.com/TheSteelersZone/status/769700047147544577
Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:58 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

It's exactly the reason I think he's the best RB in the game when healthy. We know he has had some weed issues, but the man plays with fire in all phases of the game. Great runner. Great receiver. Great blocker. Great football IQ. Puts out tremendous effort every play.

If he can truly conquer his weed demons, he is a difference-maker. In a time when RB's are considered interchangeable and replaceable, this guy is not, for the reasons listed above. He is an elite player and playmaker regardless of position.

He is so fun to watch even when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. There aren't many running backs you can say that about, and not a lot at the other skill positions.

You have captured that in the video you shared. That gets my heart pumping!

Thanks Gonzo!

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:04 pm

pczach wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

It's exactly the reason I think he's the best RB in the game when healthy. We know he has had some weed issues, but the man plays with fire in all phases of the game. Great runner. Great receiver. Great blocker. Great football IQ. Puts out tremendous effort every play.

If he can truly conquer his weed demons, he is a difference-maker. In a time when RB's are considered interchangeable and replaceable, this guy is not, for the reasons listed above. He is an elite player and playmaker regardless of position.

He is so fun to watch even when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. There aren't many running backs you can say that about, and not a lot at the other skill positions.

You have captured that in the video you shared. That gets my heart pumping!

Thanks Gonzo!

Glad you enjoyed it. I agree with your statements.

I'm a lineman at heart, so I love physical play and when one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL is willing to throw a block on a D lineman and knock him off his feet in a preseason game, it says something. As much as I think RB is overrated in the modern NFL, they need to keep football players like him around here for a while. Pay the man next year!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:20 pm

don't think the RBs position in todays NFL is over rated I think it has changed to big enough to run between the OTs fast enough with good hands as a pass receiver.

a running and short passing game to wear down defenses, the clock, to set up the deep throws.

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:12 am

As fun as it was to watch the replay last night, I did notice a few things which need some attention:
1. The O-line seemed to collapse a little quicker when Ben was setting up for the deep throw.
2. Some of Ben's and Jones' throws were off mark (or #3).
3. The WRs routes seemed to be lacking crispness.
4. The defense played soft at times or was still confused at their alignment.
5. Pass rush wasn't as contained as it should've been and QBs escaped when they should've been brought down.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints   

Back to top Go down

Preseason Week 3- Steelers @ Saints
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: