HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Shamarko Thomas says pressure of following Troy Polamalu proved too much

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Shamarko Thomas says pressure of following Troy Polamalu proved too much   Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Steelers notebook: Thomas says pressure of following Polamalu proved too much

Mark Kaboly | Friday, Aug. 26, 2016

NEW ORLEANS — They say it isn't easy following a legend.

For Steelers safety Shamarko Thomas, he didn't give much thought to the ramifications of being the one who would follow Troy Polamalu until it was too late.

Thomas struggled so much early on the preseason last year trying to live up to the Polamalu legacy he was benched less than a week before the start of the season.

Thomas logged 20 snaps with the defense last season. Even when starter Will Allen was injured, the Steelers went with Robert Golden over Thomas.

Thomas said the scope of replacing Polamalu proved to be his undoing.

“I was not trying to be like Troy. But coming into that role mentally, with a big name like that, and when you try to make plays so hard that you get yourself out of your own game,” Thomas said. “I realized I have to be like myself and let it play out. That's what I am doing this year.”

Thomas was having a solid preseason but that took a detour early during Friday's preseason game against the Saints. Thomas left the game in the first quarter after injuring his right groin while covering a kick.

There was no immediate update to his condition, but he did not return.

“I just got back to my comfort zone and did what I am capable of doing,” Thomas said earlier in the week. “I am just playing like myself.”

Thomas said he talks to Polamalu a couple of times a week and has been instrumental in helping him turn the page from last year's disastrous season.

“He always keeps my head up and focused and on the right the path,” Thomas said. “It's a relationship. He is a bigger brother to me. A father figure. It is him guiding me and mentoring me. Any question I have he is there for me. He told me not to try to compete against anybody. Compete against yourself and be the greater you, and that's what I am working on. I don't know if the job is up for grabs, but I am going out there everyday and competing trying to get better.”

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11032389-74/thomas-game-steelers?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Steelers+Stories%29

PostSubject: Re: Shamarko Thomas says pressure of following Troy Polamalu proved too much   Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:02 am

Only time will tell if Shamarknado will ever be able to live outside the shadows of Troy Polamalu.

However, the fact he's talking to Troy on a weekly basis may be the one thing which elevates his game.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Shamarko Thomas says pressure of following Troy Polamalu proved too much   Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 am

Thomas is in his 4th year with the team, same as Jarvis Jones. Thomas has shown less than Jones in his 3 seasons with the Steelers and when the Steelers needed safety help where did they go? Will Allen, Robert Golden and drafting Davis. I'm betting that Thomas wont be a Steelers in 2017.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Shamarko Thomas says pressure of following Troy Polamalu proved too much   Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:36 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Thomas is in his 4th year with the team, same as Jarvis Jones.  Thomas has shown less than Jones in his 3 seasons with the Steelers and when the Steelers needed safety help where did they go?  Will Allen, Robert Golden and drafting Davis.   I'm betting that Thomas wont be a Steelers in 2017.

Agreed. Tons of talent, but he just hasn't been able to pick up the defense in the first 3 years.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Shamarko Thomas says pressure of following Troy Polamalu proved too much   Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:23 pm

He just isn't consistent. Up to this point his bad play out weighs his good play. It's a shame because talent is not something he lacks. It's his lack of grasp on defense. I'd love to see him play up to his potential.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Shamarko Thomas says pressure of following Troy Polamalu proved too much   Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:57 pm

solardave wrote:
He just isn't consistent. Up to this point his bad play out weighs his good play. It's a shame because talent is not something he lacks. It's his lack of grasp on defense. I'd love to see him play up to his potential.
isn't consistent ?
i'd say he's consistently sucked ...it's not like we've seen flashes of great play come from him here and there. his play (when he gets on the field) has been consistently sub standard...dudes a B-U-S-T.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shamarko Thomas says pressure of following Troy Polamalu proved too much   

Back to top Go down

Shamarko Thomas says pressure of following Troy Polamalu proved too much
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: