HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Ben's Quiet Quest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Ben's Quiet Quest   Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Ben's Quiet Quest

THE STAR QB HAS LITTLE INTEREST IN FIGHTING FOR PUBLIC APPROVAL, SO HE SOUGHT REDEMPTION ELSEWHERE.

By J. BRADY MCCOLLOUGH

Ben Roethlisberger will not reflect. That is the first protection he has in place.

The aging quarterback knows the score. He is acutely aware of the clock. There will never be enough time for him to engineer a comeback, not in this particular game, anyway. It is hard to not already feel defeated.

Experience tells him how this will go.

“Almost every year, someone wants to do a reflective type piece,” Roethlisberger says. “And it’s tough, because we’ve moved on. And even if you talk about the good, it still gets brought up somehow.”

He isn’t looking for sympathy. He understands that not many people out there will ever feel sorry for Ben Roethlisberger.

Today is his annual football camp for kids. It’s a great day for him because he doesn’t have to be guarded. The eyes of children don’t come with the filter of the past.

The image they see is of the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback, Big Ben, No. 7, coming down to their level and doing drills, throwing them passes and yelling encouragement.

Benjamin Roethlisberger helps his dad, Ben, by tossing him a football during Roethlisberger's annual football camp for kids at Bethel Park High School. Campers on that June day saw Roethlisberger's growing family, including his wife, Ashley, daughter, Baylee and newborn son, Bodie. (Gracey Evans/Post-Gazette)
“Three...two...one...BEN!” they chant after the completion of each teaching session.

They see their hero as a father of three whose wife, Ashley, walks around the field at Bethel Park High School with their newborn, Bodie, strapped onto her shoulders. They see Ben’s father, Ken, going through drills with Ben, and his stepmother, Brenda, keeping watch on Ben’s two older children, Benjamin and Baylee. They see a family, maybe one that’s not so different from their own, enjoying Father’s Day weekend.

“Three...two...one...BEN!” they chant again.

The kids see blond-haired Baylee running into her father’s arms to sit in his lap as he takes a break from camp. They hear him doing his goofy, high-pitched baby talk.

“What’s on your shirt?!" he says to the 2-year-old. “Did you spill juice on your shirt?!” “Yeah.” Baylee admits, smiling at him. “Can I have a kiss?" he asks.

What do the campers’ parents see? Well, he can’t control that.

There is no way to know exactly who Ben is today, which is why he is careful about seeming like he’s trying to push a narrative. He would rather not try at all to win back the public than be viewed as a phony — a decision he made six years ago that still impacts him.

What is for sure is that his circumstances have changed: He’s a 34-year-old man who is building a home for his family, up near Sewickley. He loves being outside, whether it’s mowing the grass at home by himself or hunting, fishing or golfing with his dad and his tight circle of buddies. He goes to church regularly on Sunday mornings, even on some game days with later kickoffs.

Ben isn’t going to reveal much about his faith, because what good could come from him talking publicly about his relationship with Jesus Christ? His pastor, Jamie Kendrew of Christ Church at Grove Farm in Sewickley, wants him to start using his platform. He believes Ben has a beautiful, impactful story to tell.

But, Ben Roethlisberger isn’t ready. He’s waiting on the perfect time, that moment when his personal and football journeys converge to put him and the Steelers back on the big stage. Then, the whole world would have to listen.

SPEAKING FOR BEN

Ben Roethlisberger has his sanctuaries. There’s his home north of Pittsburgh, where the innocence and energy of children bounce off the walls. There’s his father’s sprawling land west of town, which Ben has turned into his personal playground. There’s the Steelers facility on the South Side, where he can immerse himself in the game that has given him everything.

He nearly forsook it all, of course, and that’s what brought him out here to the rolling hills of Sewickley more than six years ago. He slipped into the back of the worship service geared toward the under-40 crowd, the one with the preachers wearing jeans, the one with the guitars riffing, and just took it in. It was that day that he met Jamie Kendrew, who recently received the go-ahead from Ben to have a conversation with a visitor.

Ben must really trust Kendrew. The quarterback doesn’t trust easily.

to read rest of article:

http://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/steelers/2016-preview/bens-quiet-quest/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1472481504

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:22 am

Quote :
“It breaks my heart how, in our culture, there are everyday Joes who are experiencing some of the same things he went through,” Pastor Jamie says. “They’re able to do so quietly, and when they repent, they’re allowed to do so. Unfortunately with Ben, he has a God in Heaven that has forgiven him, but a larger population of the city that won’t let him move past it.”

This is an issue with our society. We no longer choose to forgive people and hold on to the mistakes they've made throughout life. As if we ourselves are perfect.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:29 am

I respect the change in Ben. He did it quietly and with humility. I have no doubts that he is a better man. Even if I was not a fan after reading this story (thanks Hawaii for posting it) I would not look at him as some sort of villain. I hope at some point he can feel like this is a platform for him.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 am

Thanks Hawaii for posting. Great article.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Better late than never.  

Nothing like seeing age acquired wisdom....it doesn't come naturally.....reflection on the past is the only way to get it.

Good to hear Ben gets it and now has his priorities in order.

Thanks for posting Hawaii.  
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:10 am

I never doubted Ben, he made some dumb decisions in his younger years, but I never once believed he raped those women, not because I'm a homer, but because the circumstances surrounding those allegations were shady as hell, and it made no sense to me that someone with Roethlisberger's kind of money would need to rape someone... Not saying it couldn't happen, or hasn't happened before, but I don't think Ben is that kind of guy. Since that time all he's show is how he's matured, and bettered himself as a person.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:15 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I never doubted Ben, he made some dumb decisions in his younger years, but I never once believed he raped those women, not because I'm a homer, but because the circumstances surrounding those allegations were shady as hell, and it made no sense to me that someone with Roethlisberger's kind of money would need to rape someone... Not saying it couldn't happen, or hasn't happened before, but I don't think Ben is that kind of guy. Since that time all he's show is how he's matured, and bettered himself as a person.

Of course sexual assault arguably is as much about power as it is about not being able to have sex otherwise. And as the P-G story states, Ben had earned his reputation for being an arrogant jackass prior to his visit to the restroom at a college dive bar in Georgia

I know the Atlanta attorneys who represented Ben in his Georgia criminal proceedings and the civil attorney who represented the college student in the Milledgeville bathroom.  Ben was very fortunate the young woman declined to cooperate with the DA (which by remarkable coincidence occurred after her family retained an attorney who has obtained significant settlement payments to resolve civil sexual harassment claims) and that the DA actually assessed whether he could prove a sexual assault case beyond a reasonable doubt rather than get an indictment together with a chance for national media coverage of the prosecution.  As was the case with the Duke lacrosse players, how much justice you ultimately get is often affected by what you can afford.

In the changing attitudes involving sexual assault that have occurred since 2010 IMO Ben would be in much more trouble if the Milledgeville allegations were reported in 2016

I am glad he has cleaned up his act - not everyone gets that chance
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Missi Matthews @missi_matthews

The #Steelers captains for 2016 are Ben Roethlisberger (offense), Cam Heyward/Will Gay (defense) and Robert Golden (special teams).

7:10 AM - 5 Sep 2016

https://twitter.com/missi_matthews?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:08 pm

It's been fun watching BR7 grow as a football player and a human being since HS. He's come a long way and I would love for him to scoop up a few more awards/trophies before he rides off into the sunset.

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Just asking.....do you think the days of Ben being generally viewed as a scumbag predator
(ie. "Roethlisraper") by the general public is over and done with?

I think so.... for the most part. There will always be haters....especially in Baltimore, Cleveland, and Cincinnatti.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:52 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
Just asking.....do you think the days of Ben being generally viewed as a scumbag predator

I think so.... for the most part. There will always be haters....especially in Baltimore, Cleveland, and Cincinnatti.

Everyone around here (Ohio) who isn't a Steelers fan still calls him "Rapistburger" or makes comments similar. I can't speak for other parts of the USA though.

My hunch is it's not probably the first thing they think of when they think of him.

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:00 am

Slimmed-down Big Ben will create problems for Redskins' D

Sep 5, 2016
John Keim
ESPN Staff Writer

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins catch a break -- sort of -- in hosting the Pittsburgh Steelers in the season opener. The Steelers will be without three key (suspended) players: running back Le'Veon Bell, receiver Martavis Bryant and linebacker Bud Dupree. That doesn't mean the Steelers game somehow will be easy, but it certainly will help Washington.

But for the Redskins their bigger issue is trying to do something they haven't done since 1991-92 -- make the playoffs in consecutive seasons. They haven't posted back-to-back winning records since 1996-97. They're coming off a 9-7 finish and NFC East title while the Steelers were 10-6 in the tougher AFC North.

Here are six players to watch courtesy of ESPN Steelers reporter Jeremy Fowler:

OFFENSE

QB Ben Roethlisberger: It’s hard to expect Roethlisberger to make a bigger jump after averaging a league-leading 328 passing yards per game last year. But he just might do it. Big Ben is eyeing a healthy 16-game season and an improved touchdown-to-interception ratio after throwing 16 picks in 12 games last year. He also shed 15 pounds in the offseason and wants to run more no-huddle (his favorite) than ever.

C Maurkice Pouncey: The offense has more of an edge when Pouncey is in the lineup. Week 1 will confirm whether Pouncey is all the way back from an ankle injury that required several surgeries and kept him out for all of 2015. Pouncey is eager to return to his All-Pro pedigree.

WR Markus Wheaton: Antonio Brown will get a gazillion targets a week, but the door is open for Wheaton to earn the No. 2 receiver job and become a consistent weapon. Wheaton has momentum after averaging 79.3 yards per game over the final six weeks of 2015.

DEFENSE

DE Cam Heyward: The 6-foot-5, 295-pounder became one of ESPN’s Top 100 players after 54 tackles and seven sacks last season. His numbers don’t fully illustrate his disruption at the line of scrimmage. If Heyward recovers from a high ankle sprain in time for Week 1, he can create matchup problems for the Redskins off the edge.

OLB James Harrison: The 38 year old is practically immortal. He’s lost some of his speed, but coaches say he’s just as powerful and can be a handful for opposing tackles because he stays low to the ground to create leverage. His role likely increases with Bud Dupree on Reserve/Injured. What the Steelers don’t want: Harrison in coverage with Redskins tight end Jordan Reed.

S Mike Mitchell: Mitchell runs the show for the Steelers defensive backs with constant communication. He got healthy last year and produced 80 tackles, two forced fumbles and three interceptions.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/26914/slimmed-down-big-ben-will-create-problems-for-redskins-d-even-as-others-sit

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:52 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

Everyone around here (Ohio) who isn't a Steelers fan still calls him "Rapistburger" or makes comments similar.  I can't speak for other parts of the USA though.

My hunch is it's not probably the first thing they think of when they think of him.

It will always stick to him - this from the P-G article Hawaii linked to start the thread

Ben’s retreat from the public eye was what felt right to him, but it hasn’t helped him repair his image.

His current Q Score, a measure of a celebrity’s popularity among a representative population, suggests that 27 percent of people are likely to have a negative opinion of him, compared to 18 percent positive, according to Henry Schafer with The Q Scores Company. Schafer says the only three NFL players with higher negative Q Scores are Johnny Manziel, Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick.

http://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/steelers/2016-preview/bens-quiet-quest/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1472481504

As the line from the George Michael song "Freedom" says, some mistakes were built to last - and IMO Ben's conduct in Milledgeville while he already had been named as a defendant in the Nevada civil suit was a lot more than a "mistake"
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 pm

He still has plenty of time to change public opinion. As long as he's getting respect among coaches, players and other insiders in the league (which he's doing), public will follow the changes.

See A-Rod.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ben's Quiet Quest   

Back to top Go down

Ben's Quiet Quest
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: