HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Colin Cowherd on Mike Tomlin's legacy in Pittsburgh. How much of his success does he owe to Big Ben?

Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers? #HerdHere

Is It Time For Mike Tomlin To Be On The Hot Seat?

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:47 pm

I think Cowherd doesn't realize how patient the Rooneys are with their coaches. As for how much does he owe his success to Ben? Well couldn't you say that about a lot of coaches. Who was Belichick before Brady? A Cleveland washout who wasn't impressing much until Bledsoe got injured. Every great coach in some way has benefited from a great QB behind him. There are some exceptions to this like Joe Gibbs who famously won three SBs with three different QBs. It's not that Tomlin gets a "pass", it's that the Steelers FO is patient and it has been rewarded with patience. I don't think Tomlin gets enough credit. He's the one who made Harrison a starter. He's done a good job putting his thumb print on the team. It'll be a sad day for me when Tomlin is no longer the Steelers coach but I feel that Tomlin easily will walk away with more SBs before his career is done here.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:57 am

I fucking hate Colin Cowherd. He's no better than Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, or Mark Madden... Or any other talent-less asshat that shamelessly makes their living off of cheaply voicing controversial opinions in order to drum up ratings. Believe me, as an Iowa Hawkeye fan I'd love nothing more than to kick Cowturd right in the dick.

Put me on the radio with that moron.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:52 am

Who is this idiot? Crash? Is that you? Now we know.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:31 am

Well then couldn't one say Ben's success is due to his WRs?

It's a constant loop of who is responsible for what and when. If not for the O-line, Ben could never complete a pass, and Bell couldn't get his rushes.

This is stoopid.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:45 am

Since Ben's numbers have gotten better under Tomlin, maybe the credit goes to Tomlin. Yeah, put Tomlin on the hotseat because he has a franchise QB and came within 3 minutes of getting to the AFC Championship. Maybe Belicheat should be on the hotseat because he has only won with Tom Brady. Just another example of people saying stupid shit and making a living off of it.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:21 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
Since Ben's numbers have gotten better under Tomlin, maybe the credit goes to Tomlin. Yeah, put Tomlin on the hotseat because he has a franchise QB and came within 3 minutes of getting to the AFC Championship. Maybe Belicheat should be on the hotseat because he has only won with Tom Brady. Just another example of people saying stupid shit and making a living off of it.

Very good point.

In protest, I am taking a knee during the start of Fox NFL broadcasts until Colin Cowherd is no longer an idiot.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:48 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
In protest, I am taking a knee during the start of Fox NFL broadcasts until Colin Cowherd is no longer an idiot.

Ben LOL

Well played.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:06 pm

colin blowhard should be his new name
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:23 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Ben LOL

Well played.
IT doesn't stop there. Gonna keep the conversation going with these.....

Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:51 pm

no talent hack playing to the drama loving fans.

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:36 am

While there have been times I've been left scratching my head after some of the coaching decisions, I've never thought to fire Tomlin. He's done a fine job (minus the whole kick return incident) and we have more coaching stability than a lot of other teams.

Hopefully, this continuity pays dividends sooner than later.

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:00 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

Very good point.  

Then you better buy some knee pads.
Back to top Go down
QueenstownPa
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:00 pm

None of us likes to hear derogatory remarks about any of our Steelers but he makes a valid point. In this league, if you don't have a great QB you don't do squat, if you do, you should be perennial.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:57 pm

How much input does Tomlin really have regarding Ben's play anyway? Isn't that more of an OC call? So with Ben's numbers up since Haley, who gets the credit? Ben, Todd, or Mike? But in the end, who gives a shit? Win ball games as a team and it's equal credit all around. Everyone is obsessed with lists and rankings and who's the best. Who cares? I care about the season and Superbowl ahead of us. Win those.

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:03 pm

@QueenstownPa wrote:
None of us likes to hear derogatory remarks about any of our Steelers but he makes a valid point.  In this league, if you don't have a great QB you don't do squat, if you do, you should be perennial.

Yes, its a QB driven league and you rarely get a shot at championships without a good QB right now. But, Marino, Fouts, Kelly, Esiason, Tarkenton, Moon, Ken Anderson, Donovan McNabb never won a SB and it doesn't mean they all had lousy coaches.

Facts are that Tomlin is a good coach. Dungy knew it when he was on his staff, Childress knew it would not be long until Tomlin got offers as a HC to take him out of Minnesota and he has rings and a pretty good winning percentage since being a HC.

Colin Cowherd is just making a controversial statement to encite discussion and make his show relevant. He is basically Skip Bayless light and really doesn't build his show on knowledgeable discussion and content. Its why I have always turned the dial after 5 minutes when I first heard him and usually after 30 seconds after I heard his show a few times.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:12 pm

Loud mouthed talking head... One amongst many trying to eat up air time on 24 hours a day 7 days a week Sports news media. Simply garbage television/media.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:05 pm

@Drizztbob wrote:
How much input does Tomlin really have regarding Ben's play anyway?  Isn't that more of an OC call?  So with Ben's numbers up since Haley, who gets the credit?  Ben, Todd, or Mike?  But in the end, who gives a shit?  Win ball games as a team and it's equal credit all around.  Everyone is obsessed with lists and rankings and who's the best.  Who cares?  I care about the season and Superbowl ahead of us.  Win those.

Great take on the topic!!

The obsession with lists, ranking and stats is so that the average to casual fan can point to something tangible that supports what they think. Anybody in the media who has played or coached like Cowher, Esiasion, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Willie McGinest, etc, can make a couple calls to people active in the league and get opinions of who is a good coach, great coach and poor coach. AND they don't need to check with footballoutsiders.com, Colin Cowturd or PFF to do so.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:19 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

I'm not sure you can hold out on your protest that long.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
QueenstownPa
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:39 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@QueenstownPa wrote:
None of us likes to hear derogatory remarks about any of our Steelers but he makes a valid point.  In this league, if you don't have a great QB you don't do squat, if you do, you should be perennial.

Yes, its a QB driven league and you rarely get a shot at championships without a good QB right now.  But, Marino, Fouts, Kelly, Esiason, Tarkenton, Moon, Ken Anderson, Donovan McNabb never won a SB and it doesn't mean they all had lousy coaches.

Facts are that Tomlin is a good coach.  Dungy knew it when he was on his staff, Childress knew it would not be long until Tomlin got offers as a HC to take him out of Minnesota and he has rings and a pretty good winning percentage since being a HC.

Colin Cowherd is just making a controversial statement to encite discussion and make his show relevant.  He is basically Skip Bayless light and really doesn't build his show on knowledgeable discussion and content.  Its why I have always turned the dial after 5 minutes when I first heard him and usually after 30 seconds after I heard his show a few times.

I can't argue with the stats you chose to present but I can certainly ask why this team pulls out more ashattery than they do early season games under Tomlin.  Why does this team start slow every year under him?  The talent is clear.  The history is clear.  The leadership of the front office is clear.  One division win in five years with an ultra talented team is also clear.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:20 pm

@QueenstownPa wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@QueenstownPa wrote:

Yes, its a QB driven league and you rarely get a shot at championships without a good QB right now.  But, Marino, Fouts, Kelly, Esiason, Tarkenton, Moon, Ken Anderson, Donovan McNabb never won a SB and it doesn't mean they all had lousy coaches.

Facts are that Tomlin is a good coach.  Dungy knew it when he was on his staff, Childress knew it would not be long until Tomlin got offers as a HC to take him out of Minnesota and he has rings and a pretty good winning percentage since being a HC.

Colin Cowherd is just making a controversial statement to encite discussion and make his show relevant.  He is basically Skip Bayless light and really doesn't build his show on knowledgeable discussion and content.  Its why I have always turned the dial after 5 minutes when I first heard him and usually after 30 seconds after I heard his show a few times.

I can't argue with the stats you chose to present but I can certainly ask why this team pulls out more ashattery than they do early season games under Tomlin.  Why does this team start slow every year under him?  The talent is clear.  The history is clear.  The leadership of the front office is clear.  One division win in five years with an ultra talented team is also clear.

I think before we state that "talent is clear" and make correlations to the past 5 seasons, we need to look at a few things.

Offensive line

-the LT spot has been largely a 7th round undersized player or a former Army TE.
-the all pro center has spent more time on IR that anchoring the line.
-Injuries all around every season it seems.

WR
Have been looking for somebody to compliment AB, but we can all point to the troubles of Bryant, Wheaton, Sanders, etc.

RB
-Yes Bell has been a top 3 RB when not suspended or injured, but lets not forget who was before him. Redman, Dwyer, Rainey, Jon Clay???

As for the Front office, we can point to draft picks like Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas, Dri Archer and tons of secondary draft picks to look at how Polamalu, Clark, Ike were not replaced and we haven't even touched on why we needed Cam Thomas to add depth up front.

This hasn't been a talented team for a while on defense and offensively it cant seem to stay healthy or off the suspended list. I'd say the Steelers got thru some adversity and its not all as simple as BenR7 racks up the wins and makes Tomlin look good.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Personally, I always thought Tomlin didn't get enough credit on Harrison. Easy to say now but I remember a lot of people hoping that Porter would be brought back and Peezy could retire a Steeler. Who'd thunk that nearly a decade later James would not only still be playing but within striking distance for the most sacks by a Steeler and his coach- Joey Porter, only a year his senior. Maybe Tomlin has benefited from having Ben as QB but you know what, he wouldn't be the first. I concede that Tomlin will have a test after Ben retires picking his replacement but that's a challenge that even great coaches have faced and struggled with.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:40 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@QueenstownPa wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@QueenstownPa wrote:

I think before we state that "talent is clear" and make correlations to the past 5 seasons, we need to look at a few things.

Offensive line

-the LT spot has been largely a 7th round undersized player or a former Army TE.
-the all pro center has spent more time on IR that anchoring the line.
-Injuries all around every season it seems.

WR
Have been looking for somebody to compliment AB, but we can all point to the troubles of Bryant, Wheaton, Sanders, etc.

RB
-Yes Bell has been a top 3 RB when not suspended or injured, but lets not forget who was before him.  Redman, Dwyer, Rainey, Jon Clay???

As for the Front office, we can point to draft picks like Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas, Dri Archer and tons of secondary draft picks to look at how Polamalu, Clark, Ike were not replaced and we haven't even touched on why we needed Cam Thomas to add depth up front.

This hasn't been a talented team for a while on defense and offensively it cant seem to stay healthy or off the suspended list.  I'd say the Steelers got thru some adversity and its not all as simple as BenR7 racks up the wins and makes Tomlin look good.

Good response. I was thinking of something along the lines of:

A defense that has gone through a total overhaul that really had subpar talent for the last few years. And the offense that either cann't keep their players off the doobage or IR list or both (Bell). I'm more impressed that Tomlin hasn't had a losing season than I'm upset he hasn't had divisional titles. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:21 pm

On the Steelers: Coach Mike Tomlin turns into a riverboat gambler

September 15, 2016
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For a guy who coaches a team hard by the Ohio, Monongahela and Allegheny, Mike Tomlin has fast become the riverboat gambler of the NFL.

The Steelers coach set dual NFL records last season when he ordered his team to go for two-point conversions 11 times and they made eight of them.

Now, he has them throwing caution and the football to the wind by not only going for it on fourth down, but throwing passes of 29 and 19 yards in the process.

What’s next, multiple onside kick attempts?

There’s nothing like going for it on fourth down — and making it — that pumps up an offense.

“Definitely confidence,’’ guard Ramon Foster said of what those decisions do for the players. “You get that feeling that it’s all or nothing.”

Tomlin, his team down, 6-0, at the Washington Redskins Monday night, had them eschew what would have been a 47-yard field-goal attempt and go for it on fourth-and-1 at the 29. Not merely go for it but go for it with a 29-yard pass into the end zone that Antonio Brown caught from Ben Roethlisberger.

They had fourth-and-1 again on their next series, this time at the Washington 34, and again they went for it. This time, Roethlisberger threw it a little shorter, and Eli Rogers helped turn it into a 19-yard gain. That kept their second touchdown drive alive for a 14-6 lead.

“That showcases it right there,” Foster said. “That’s two times on fourth-and-short you go for it, not only go for it but Ben had the mindset to go for the gusto. It also lets you know we’re building something here as far as an identity on offense. We can pass and throw it around, we can also be aggressive.”

The same mindset did not exist on the other sideline. There, on the first series of the game, the Redskins offense moved to the Steelers 40, where they had a fourth-and-1. Coach Jay Gruden had his team punt. He told reporters Tuesday he regretted that decision.

“As a coach, that’s the one I regret the most. I should have gone for it,’’ Gruden said. “It was a good scoring opportunity for us squandered. I will second-guess that one.”

Gruden went for it twice later on fourth down and failed both times, so maybe his first decision was the right one.

Tomlin has made some aggressive gambles in the past, including a strange one at the end of his first season as Steelers coach. In a playoff game at Heinz Field, the Steelers scored a touchdown to close Jacksonville’s lead to 28-23 with 10:25 left. He had them go for two, but there was a 10-yard holding penalty on the attempt. Tomlin stuck with the 2-point try, even though it now came from the 12 and there was plenty of time left. It failed. The Steelers scored another touchdown with 6:21 left and failed on another 2-point try (this time from the 2). They lost, 31-29.

That was not the riverboat gambler in Tomlin — that was reckless. He became more judicial in his decisions, but he still has that “we-play-to-win” mentality, as he said Monday night.

“I don’t worry about the talking heads at all,” Tomlin said, referring to TV analysts. “We prepare and we get a certain level of comfort through that preparation and what we’re capable of. We felt like we could deliver in those circumstances. We took the risks associated with that.”

Tomlin’s history of going for it on fourth down is neither abundant nor abundantly successful. Last season, the Steelers tried on fourth down 12 times and converted on four after going 5 for 10 in 2014 and 9 for 15 in 2013.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/09/15/On-the-Steelers-Coach-Mike-Tomlin-turns-into-a-riverboat-gambler/stories/201609150082

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:12 pm

PostSubject: Re: Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?   

Back to top Go down

Colin Cowherd: Why does Mike Tomlin get a free pass with the Steelers?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: